MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

MAS B772 Fleet Decommissioned on 27 January 2016

Which one type of a/c is suitable for MH?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. A350 or B787

• A350
    • B787

hmmm... thought a pilot's that can control a plane would be more of B than A - which many have referred the A planes as a "technical manager" instead of a pilot flying it.

Manufacturer's philosophies on automation:

Airbus' Philosophy on Automation
  • Automation must not reduce overall aircraft reliability; it should enhance aircraft and systems safety, efficiency and economy.
  • Automation must not lead the aircraft out of the safe flight envelope to its full extent, should this be necessary due to extraordinary circumstances.
  • Automation should allow the operator to use the safe flight envelope to its full extent, should this be necessary due to extraordinary cirumstances.
  • Within the normal flight envelope, the automation must not work against operator inputs, except when absolutely necessary for safety.
Boeing's Flight Deck Automation Philosophy
  • The pilot is the final authority for the operation of the airplane.
  • Both crew members are ultimately responsible for the safe conduct of the flight.
  • Flight crew tasks, in order of priority, are: safety, passenger comfort, and efficiency.
  • Design for crew operations based on pilot's past training and operational experience.
  • Design systems to be error tolerant.
  • The hierarchy of design alternatives is: simplicity, redundancy, and automation.
  • Apply automation as a tool to aid, not replace, the pilot.
  • Address fundamental human strengths, limitations, and individual differences-for both normal and non-normal operations.
  • Use new technologies and functional capabilities only when:
    • They result in clear and distinct operational or efficiency advantages, and
    • There is no adverse effect to the human-machine interface.
McDonnell-Douglas
  • Uses technology to assist the pilot naturally, while giving the pilot the final authority to override the computer and use skill and experience.

Source:

http://aviationknowledge.wikidot.com/aviation:manufacturer-s-philosophies-on-automation

Edited by S V Choong

k9x82c.jpg

Copyright owner: TriztaN Mallada

What it would have been if the B77W was delivered with the original B772ER order. Note that MAS actually placed the order way ahead of SQ.

Maybe they did not like Boeing's offering of only the GE engine.

MH prefers PW - e.g. it chose PW4170 engines for its current A333s even though they were not best in class. PW4056 engines were also specified for their B744s.

Maybe they did not like Boeing's offering of only the GE engine.

MH prefers PW - e.g. it chose PW4170 engines for its current A333s even though they were not best in class. PW4056 engines were also specified for their B744s.

But the old DC-10, A300 & the original 744 were GE powered, not to mention all the 737 (CFM) so I don't think being GE powered is a hindrance to be honest.

It's probably a case of, having been forced to take the A380, the planners chose not to overload the fleet with another 747 sized aircraft.

I don't believe MH ever ordered any 77W. The 773s that were originally ordered with the 11 772IGWs (or 772ERs) are basically the long fuselage version of the 772 with RR engines - certainly not the 777-300ER version with GE engines.

k9x82c.jpg

Copyright owner: TriztaN Mallada

What it would have been if the B77W was delivered with the original B772ER order. Note that MAS actually placed the order way ahead of SQ.

Except it wasn't the 77W they ordered at that time, it was the 777-300 (non-ER).

The point is ordering before SQ, yes, Julius really understands we Malaysian liked to compared with SQ. A must! :D

Edited by S V Choong

Except it wasn't the 77W they ordered at that time, it was the 777-300 (non-ER).

The point is ordering before SQ, yes, Julius really understands we Malaysian liked to compared with SQ. A must! :D

Hahas!! Thank you. Like post x100,000! :p

Pray for B777X.

Pray for B777X.

Or any B777 variant for that matter.

any chance of announcement on 777 replacement this year or next?

the silence is deafening

They have to clean the s#1t first before they can think of anything else!

For an airline like MAS, a mix of A350-900s and B777-9Xs would be ideal. The A359s in a 2-class configuration would be an ideal replacement for both the B772s and A333s.

Throw in a dozen or so B777-9X for higher capacity routes with a 3-class configuration. Cheaper to operate than an A388 or B748 with a lower break-even load factor.

Unfortunately, there's a big elephant in the room. 6 of them to be precise. MAS needs to get rid of them.

If they choose to retain the A388s, they'll carry on one of the major problems they're having right now.

There is too big of a gap in capacity between an A333/B772 and an A388. MAS doesn't have a product in the 3-class sub-300 market.

As a general rule, airlines that have bought the A388 have a substantial fleet of B77W/A346/B744 to bridge this gap with their A333/B772/B788/B789/A359 fleets. These airlines do so only because they have the economics of scale.

MAS in my opinion, doesn't have the scale to take that strategy and should instead focus on the 2-class sub-250 market and 3-class sub-300 market. It will be better off following the likes of Cathay, JAL and ANA for their wide-body fleet.

Forget about 400-plus 3-class market. Sell off those A380s today.

Yes all along I have maintained that MH should get rid of the 6 A380s and should have never got them in the first place which is more like "trying to be there in having the A380s" more like for "gaya" purposes only. MH should now just have one type of aircraft to replace its 777s - either the B787 series or the A350 series as its too small a fleet to have 2 different types of aircrafts for economies of scale and maintenance. And it be good for MH to have 2 classes ie Business and Economy only and do away with First class.

Yes all along I have maintained that MH should get rid of the 6 A380s and should have never got them in the first place which is more like "trying to be there in having the A380s" more like for "gaya" purposes only. MH should now just have one type of aircraft to replace its 777s - either the B787 series or the A350 series as its too small a fleet to have 2 different types of aircrafts for economies of scale and maintenance. And it be good for MH to have 2 classes ie Business and Economy only and do away with First class.

They may have difficulties in finding a buy for second hand A380-800s!

A380 has the lowest cask, and lhr and cdg are popular destinations. If mh couldn't fill and breakeven with a380, doubt it could with higher cask aircraft.

MAS has yet to decide on what kind of airline it is going to be in the Mueller era (the last news is that it is going to be downsized, focusing on regional routes of up to 8 hours from KUL only).

Hence until this is decided, any aircraft procument must be halted to avoid "mistake" in buying these expensive and large long term assets.

2qd4tnr.gif

8 hour (or 8000km radius from KUL) if MH is to focus on regional routes only.

10qyqtg.gif

Compared that with fellow OneWorld member hub at DOH with the same radius.

Edited by Alif A. F.

MAS has yet to decide on what kind of airline it is going to be in the Mueller era (the last news is that it is going to be downsized, focusing on regional routes of up to 8 hours from KUL only).

Hence until this is decided, any aircraft procument must be halted to avoid "mistake" in buying these expensive and large long term assets.

Can't imagine them ever dropping LHR.

10qyqtg.gif

Compared that with fellow OneWorld member hub at DOH with the same radius.

QR does have some Aussie routes - to SYD, MEL and PER which is beyond the 8 hours radius. 777-200LRs are deployed for the Aussie routes from what I have last seen 2-3 years ago.

Yep, I know that. I just want to show this map since QR have many more destinations in Europe and Africa served from DOH. MH can (or already) leverage on that.

Turkish Airlines would certainly love to buy over MH's A380s. I do not think MH has any problem filling up its A380s ... just not with the appropriate yield.

Sometime in October 2014, one could get SIN-CDG and back for about S$700 (all in). I purchased two sets of SIN-KUL-BKK tickets for travel in Dec 2014 and Jan 2015 for just S$53 (all in) each.

Christoph Mueller is a highly-intelligent CEO and did a great job at Lufthansa. I had the joy of visiting Lufthansa when Mueller was CEO and both he and his team were incredible. He is however a no-nonsense kind of technocrat and I am not certain if he will be given the space he needs (and be free of political interference) or if he could adapt to Malaysia's cultural and social landscape. A hard-nosed technocrat German is not the most culturally- and socially-adaptable person and for him, I suspect it would be a case of : if you are booked in a certain class, you will travel in that class ... never mind how big or heavy your title is. I just hope that there is no melt-down between him and the establishment.

He will certainly be demanding a whole lot more from each and every staff member ... I have seen as many as six people working at the boarding gates for a flight (at most efficient major airports, there are three of them). So as he re-employs people, there will certainly be job-expansion.

This will be MH's best chance for a turnaround ... possibly something totally different from all the past sexily-named turnaround plans.

KC

If MH want to focus on widebody operation only, i think they shld get both 787 and 350.

Very unlikely, MH is a small airline - most of its fleet is B738 and its long haul fleet is small. As such, they won't have the luxury of being able to operate so many aircraft types.

Christoph Mueller is a highly-intelligent CEO and did a great job at Lufthansa. I had the joy of visiting Lufthansa when Mueller was CEO and both he and his team were incredible. He is however a no-nonsense kind of technocrat and I am not certain if he will be given the space he needs (and be free of political interference) or if he could adapt to Malaysia's cultural and social landscape. A hard-nosed technocrat German is not the most culturally- and socially-adaptable person and for him, I suspect it would be a case of : if you are booked in a certain class, you will travel in that class ... never mind how big or heavy your title is. I just hope that there is no melt-down between him and the establishment.

He will certainly be demanding a whole lot more from each and every staff member ... I have seen as many as six people working at the boarding gates for a flight (at most efficient major airports, there are three of them). So as he re-employs people, there will certainly be job-expansion.

This will be MH's best chance for a turnaround ... possibly something totally different from all the past sexily-named turnaround plans.

KC

Believe Mueller has been promised a free hand at mh. Airline business take years to turn around e.g right fleet mix, routes, etc. The question is will he managed to see his plan fully implemented before is ousted.

Very unlikely, MH is a small airline - most of its fleet is B738 and its long haul fleet is small. As such, they won't have the luxury of being able to operate so many aircraft types.

Legacy airlines depend on transit pax, without substantial network, it will not have economic of scale to compete. For mh to survive, mh could not remain the same size but growth. Edited by KK Lee