MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

MAS B772 Fleet Decommissioned on 27 January 2016

Which one type of a/c is suitable for MH?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. A350 or B787

• A350
    • B787

"considers"..."potential"....

Pls do note the use of those words....it is really a no-new news item.

Agree - the journos are merely looking for stories during the IATA conference.

Couple of things that can picked from that news article:

1.MH only wants to deploy one type of a/c,either 787 or A350.

2. The intention period is 2018 as stated by MH Vice president,so bearing the waiting list for a/c orders around the globe,orders should be put in by early 2014?

So from now till 2018,will the 777 remain the work horse for MH long haul?Hence if the a/c is to be around for 4 more years,would refurbishment be required for cabin?

Couple of things that can picked from that news article:

1.MH only wants to deploy one type of a/c,either 787 or A350.

2. The intention period is 2018 as stated by MH Vice president,so bearing the waiting list for a/c orders around the globe,orders should be put in by early 2014?

So from now till 2018,will the 777 remain the work horse for MH long haul?Hence if the a/c is to be around for 4 more years,would refurbishment be required for cabin?

Or MH would continue to retire the 77E & in the interim lease the A330-300 Higher Gross Weight which will come in 2015 before replacing everything with either the A350 or 787.

Airbus could/should offer attractive lease rates on those planes considering the amount of aggravation they've caused with regards to A380 in service issues.

Yes, MH could copy the SQ deal and sign a A333 plus A350 lease/buy deal.

The 242 tonne A333's can start coming in around 2015 to replace the triple sevens and the A350s can begin delivery as and when Airbus can supply them so that the older A333s can also be retired.

I think MH should get a mix of the A350-800 and A350-900. The A350-1000 is probably too big.

MH seems to increase their frequency regionally. I wonder if they need to order more narrow body.

A lot of these frequency increases seems to be utilizing their RON narrow body at KUL e.g. new "red-eye" to HKT and DPS (not many people want to fly KUL-DPS leaving KUL at 23:30 and arriving DPS at 02:30 or leaving DPS at 04:35 and arriving KUL at 07:30?!)

yes MAS needs to be completely overhauled - completely with a new Management team and preferably most from outside of MH - and the government to sell off its ownership/shares in MH and even consider a big enougyh foreign stake in the "new" MH if necessary.

Otherwise MH will not be profitable most of the times and the govt need to pump in billions continously or help through its 3rd party like setting up PNB (by Bank Negara) to buy planes n then lease it to MH.

Maybe we should make a poll on a MAS overhaul instead. Should it be done? or should it not? I think it's time... They can't continue running like this. Once a proud 6-continent airline, now deteriorating.

So are we going to see new aircraft orders from MAS this Paris Air Show? I really hope so..

Well AJ did mention to announce new aircraft order by July.. Paris Air Show would be a good platform, great coverage for publicity too

Well AJ did mention to announce new aircraft order by July.. Paris Air Show would be a good platform, great coverage for publicity too

Maybe during Dubai show i think... we'll see :)

So it will be drum rolls then

Realistically, if they want aircraft by 2018/19 - I'd imagine it'd be the 787-10X and 787-9... They'd be second behind the launch customer SQ and the -9s could timed earlier with some slot arrangement at Boeing... Could even be paired with an order for 737-MAX to replace existing -800s. As far as the A380s, additional 4-5 is what I've heard. I think Boeing has potential to clinch this one!!!