MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Frasier

British Airways Returns to Jakarta

Well, I think SGN and CGK are lower yield destinations. I am sure trade between Malaysia and the UK is much larger than Indonesia or Vietnam- UK. I need to check the figures.

Plus traffic between UK and Malaysia must be very high. MH monopolises the non stop flights but I am sure there is a huge demand tapped by the ME3 and SQ for direct flights.

Does someone have data of total pax Btwn UK and KUL (nonstop and direct?)

Uk Malaysia trade 2009 around 4 billion pounds

Uk indonesia trade around 1.7 billion pounds

IMO BA isn't innovative enough when it comes to introduce new routes unlike LH or AF/KLM. BA usually kinda of a late comers. WIth the end of partnership with QF the possibility of BA coming back to KUL is there. Actually Its a loss for BA not to serve KUL and not the other way around :D

For BA, its a choice between KUL and SIN for SE Asia. So, if they do come to KUL, it will be at the expense of SIN.

Not necessarily. Both AF/KLM and LH serve SIN but at the same time serve KUL even tho LH not a direct flight.

IMO BA isn't innovative enough when it comes to introduce new routes unlike LH or AF/KLM. BA usually kinda of a late comers. WIth the end of partnership with QF the possibility of BA coming back to KUL is there. Actually Its a loss for BA not to serve KUL and not the other way around :D

Not necessarily. Both AF/KLM and LH serve SIN but at the same time serve KUL even tho LH not a direct flight.

But AF/KLM/LH are not part of One World. To me it seems there's little point in BA putting on a direct flight LHR-KUL against a One World partner, with a product (old planes) that does not compete against a 380 (apart from a premium economy product that MH should have introduced, but that's a differnt story ;))

Not true.. BA executive club earn fewer points on MH.

RJ flights earn most tier points and we hope QR flights will also see similar tier point awards.

To be fair - i hadnt intended to put forward this view that you had clearly read into.

Anyway - I will let sleeping dogs lie.

I wonder if your view of AF's return and Total's, Peugeot's, Renault's expansion in Malaysia is seen in the same light...

Whilst it is true BAEC members earn fewer Avios points on MH than when flying BA due to the minimums and status bonuses, tier points aren't a function of a which airline per se, but rather the distance, assuming the fare you booked is eligible to earn avios and tier points in the first place.

British Airways confirms Jakarta with crew already receiving rosters for Singapore-Jakarta shuttle on BA11

Yoohoo!!!! Waiting for cheap tickets from SIN!

Should have, as Singapore-UK should have an open skies.

Malaysia and UK signed open skies agreement too - will come into effect in Oct.

Used to be quite a number of airlines flying 5th freedom between SIN CGK eg LH, QR, TK, PR, CX, but now thanks to LCC...

Edited by alberttky

are you sure you want to fly BA?

Like MH, BA have an outdated product but their service is excellent and professional. It depends on the purpose of the trip n the first place ;)

Like MH, BA have an outdated product but their service is excellent and professional. It depends on the purpose of the trip n the first place ;)

One of a handful of airlines that still operates the 744. I have no issue flying BA, especially if the airfares are reasonable.

I do hear that BA crews are quite classy and services are pleasant too. It's rather sad to hear BA still not yet initiating their plan to fly into KUL, though KUL does attract more UK tourists and travellers than CGK, But of course both MH and BA are now oneWorld and with MH doing twice A380 to LHR daily, it might be hard for BA to compete directly with MH.

I recently flew BA 15/16 SIN-SYD v.v. in May. Overall great product, good food and professional service. Much ahead of QF and perhaps just as good as MH ;)

I think twice daily A380 from LHR is still not enough as many pax are flying with emirates, etihad and Qatar to KUL.

BA can fly to KUL with 772s or 787s on a daily basis and codeshare with MH .. They

Can utilise MH's extensive australasian connections and get more traffic feed.

MH is already code sharing with AA to connect to north America via their London, Paris and Frankfurt hubs. I'm very surprised BA is dragging its feet...

Better for MAS I guess as the OW pax will have no choice but to use MAS...

I think twice daily A380 from LHR is still not enough as many pax are flying with emirates, etihad and Qatar to KUL.

BA can fly to KUL with 772s or 787s on a daily basis and codeshare with MH .. They

MH is already code sharing with AA to connect to north America via their London, Paris and Frankfurt hubs. I'm very surprised BA is dragging its feet...

Having BA in KUL would be great for variety and also for historical reasons. If BA sees MH and KUL as a significant partner, they could and will eventually decide on that but perhaps, just perhaps, they are afraid of the competition they have on that route with the dugong's, twice daily on top of that. I think if they code share, they would be ideal for now, but they are reluctant to say the least. :acute: Oh well, let's wait and see :search:

Having BA in KUL would be great for variety and also for historical reasons. If BA sees MH and KUL as a significant partner, they could and will eventually decide on that but perhaps, just perhaps, they are afraid of the competition they have on that route with the dugong's, twice daily on top of that. I think if they code share, they would be ideal for now, but they are reluctant to say the least. :acute: Oh well, let's wait and see :search:

Ain't there was an early post saying that BA would work with CX after QF dumping them in SIN?

Ain't there was an early post saying that BA would work with CX after QF dumping them in SIN?

There was, you are right. However, this is just hopeful of BA's return to KUL although it is a known fact that BA and CX already have some arrangement on the routes to Australasia. :nea:

Wow...that's quite a statement...hahahah! Is there something I should know about BA???? Hahaha!

As a brit I avoid flying them at all costs. Whilst their premium products are quite good their economy product and baggage rules leave a lot to be desired. SQ, MH and EK are light years ahead.

As a brit I avoid flying them at all costs. Whilst their premium products are quite good their economy product and baggage rules leave a lot to be desired. SQ, MH and EK are light years ahead.

All these whiles, the Asian airlines like SQ, MH, CX are the real legend airlines providing world class services. But now I think it might slowly emulated by EK, or EK is just nice and right on par with them.

All these whiles, the Asian airlines like SQ, MH, CX are the real legend airlines providing world class services. But now I think it might slowly emulated by EK, or EK is just nice and right on par with them.

Since EK's poaching staff from all three, it's no wonder!

Sign in to follow this