MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Australia and Malaysia Need to Negotiate Expanded Bilateral Agreements

From what I know, it's quite competitive. I believe MH won't stop to increase the flights to Australia.

SYD Route: MH - 3 x daily / CX - 4 x daily - All using 333

MEL Route: MH - 3 x daily / CX - 3 x daily (1 stopover, departure only) - All using 333, except MH using 772 on one of its daily flight

PER Route: MH - 11 x weekly / CX - 10 x daily - All using 333

ADL Route: MH - 8 x weekly / CX - 7 x weekly (daily departure stopover) - All using 333, except MH using 772 on one of its weekly flight

BNE Route: MH - 7 x weekly / CX - 11 x weekly (3 x weekly 1 stopover) - All using 333

CNS Route: MH - None / CX - 7 x weekly (4 x weekly 1 stopover) - Using 333

DRW Route: MH - 5 x weekly / CX - None - Using 738

Wow, look at CX's frequency on HKG-PER !

Market must be massive

So, everyday, there are 20 CX flypasts over BKI/surrounding region between HKG and PER. :D

I really do hope that MH increases the frequency out of BNE to at least 10x weekly.

From what I know, it's quite competitive. I believe MH won't stop to increase the flights to Australia.

PER Route: MH - 11 x weekly / CX - 10 x daily - All using 333

Are you sure HKG-PER on CX is 10x daily? On the CX website it's 10x weekly :)

Mike P,

Apologies, it's becoming clearer the 10x daily was more likely than not a typo error :)

Unless you are in the know of something ....... :D

Mike P,

Apologies, it's becoming clearer the 10x daily was more likely than not a typo error :)

Unless you are in the know of something ....... :D

Yeah, should be weekly. Can't edit any longer.

Like MH, CX is hungry for more flights just that they are unable too! Hong Kong-Australia bi-laterals are practically full for HKG based carriers, Hong Kong Airlines wants MEL & SYD but can't and CX wants to add extra flights to MEL (rumoured to be x4 daily) and other cities, ADL is linked to MEL to avoid the bi-lateral capacity being applied for MEL services.

I wonder if TG will react with similar increases, seems like they are lagging behind SQ & MH in frequency out of Australia.

MEL:

x3 Daily MH (A333/772), x4 Daily SQ (A333/773/77W/A388), x2 Daily TG (772/773)

SYD:

x3 Daily MH (A333), x4 Daily SQ (772/773/A388), x10 Weekly TG (744)

I thought TG had a stronger presence in Australia than that! Nice to see that MH is becoming a major player in Australian skies.

I thought TG had a stronger presence in Australia than that! Nice to see that MH is becoming a major player in Australian skies.

TG (No 9) is still behind MH (No8) currently.

D7 will become Australia’s fourth largest foreign carrier by the end of 2013 as it allocates nearly all of its additional capacity for the remainder of the year to the Australian market. The expansion will see the medium/long-haul low-cost carrier increase its Australian operation from 35 weekly flights currently to 54 weekly frequencies in Dec-2013.

Source: http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/airasia-x-emerges-as-australias-fourth-largest-foreign-airline-overtaking-rival-malaysia-airlines-123794

Edited by flee

Will D7 consider AVV (it is not under the bi-lateral cap) ?

That's not really a good idea, there is little to no feed in AVV, Cebu Pacific got the rights to fly MNL-AVV, but they don't want it as they rather wait for MEL to open up along with SYD when Australia-Phllippines bi-lateral gets re-discussed. I've heard D7 is happy at MEL so I doubt they will move since MEL airport management is very accommodating to its airline customers.

MH has always been a major player in Australia its just that they stood still for too long while the others were upping their game!

With the new Government in Australia, they're going ahead with the second airport in Sydney at Badgery's Creek. D7 might fly there instead in the future because it won't be covered under the bilateral agreement.

I think the second airport will eventually become SYD and the current one will serve as a city airport. (just like KLIA sepang as KUL and Subang airport SZB). All international flights will fly to the new airport.

Btw, I don't think the airport will be ready before year 2020.

D7 has already expanded - it will take some time before its capacity is absorbed. It won't need to expand until demand for its expanded capacity is exceeded.

It is amazing to see Malaysian carriers (both MH & D7) almost have taken up all the allocated seats under the bilateral agreements but yet no Australian carrier flies to KUL.

Even when QF flew to KUL, they had 3 flights per week from SYD via SIN and once weekly from PER. At that time they had 70 flights per week from SIN.

Considering that QF group flies to almost all the capitals if ASEAN and other points like HKT (jet star) and Bali, I don't know why KUL has been ignored all this while.

Even when QF flew to KUL, they had 3 flights per week from SYD via SIN and once weekly from PER. At that time they had 70 flights per week from SIN.

Considering that QF group flies to almost all the capitals if ASEAN and other points like HKT (jet star) and Bali, I don't know why KUL has been ignored all this while.

I think they flew 3 weekly SYD-KUL-SIN and 2-3 weekly BNE-SIN-KUL at its peak. And QF has cut down its international network a lot. I believe they only fly to Singapore, Bangkok, Manila, Jakarta and Bali now.

KUL is ignored probably due to yield and competition from MH and D7.

Not to forget Ansett used to fly KUL as well, using B747.

Would like to see when Thai Air Asia X flies BKK-SYD / MEL (if it happens), will QF/ JQ able to compete ?

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Sign in to follow this