MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Australia and Malaysia Need to Negotiate Expanded Bilateral Agreements

I just checked their online timetable in December and it's still listed at one A330 and one 772 per day. It has to do with MH is really slow at updating their website.

The listing of the B772 is a mistake. All flights to Australia are now with the A33E.

D7 announced a rather big expansion at the affected Australian ports, http://airlineroute.net/2013/07/23/d7-w13/

and therefore here is the updated current standing versus the bilateral:

AusBilateral_zpsdbb5672f.png

Does it mean capacity is available for MH to send A388 to SYD?

I think we can build up a case here, if we have the correct timeline and how the 'booking' of the seats by the airlines is done.

Thanks for the correction, but I got the seat number right.

MAS is resuming KUL- DRW 5 times weekly on B738 soon.

Darwin is not part of the bilateral. And so does Adelaide and the Gold Coast.

When will we see A388 for SYD? :)

When D7 returns the slot they took when the share swap occurred (don't have to be all, just half will do so that they can operate one daily flight). Or the Australian government signs an open skies agreement which I doubt will be happening soon.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

......When D7 returns the slot they took when the share swap occurred ....

There will be the danger of pig strikes when that happens, because by then pigs will be flying. And cats grow horns.

If it wasn't for D7, we'd probably be seeing the A380 in SYD by now. Anyway, I reckon D7 only got the rights for SYD because of that dodgy attempt to "merge" AK and MH...

If it wasn't for D7, we'd probably be seeing the A380 in SYD by now. Anyway, I reckon D7 only got the rights for SYD because of that dodgy attempt to "merge" AK and MH...

I would say it is down to the incompetence of the govt.

The govt. probably realised that it is no longer possible to block D7 from SYD as the Aussie govt. had no problems with D7 operating into SYD.

The only way to fix this is to talk to the Aussie govt. about an open skies agreement, like what Singapore did. We already have open skies with the UK - MH should try to capitalise on that while the govt. tries to get the same thing done in Australia.

From our spy at the Prime Minister's Office in Perdana Putra:

Lupa nak bgtau that Govt of Msia actually already planned to negotiate with Australia to expand the current bilateral agreement on air services. I believe the negotiation is to allow MH A380 into SYD and MEL. Go ahead, if I'm not mistaken the negotiation with Australia has been highlighted by Deputy Minister of Transport in the Parliament few weeks back.

MH announced an increase of service to MEL and PER. http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/02/mh-melper-w13/

I am not sure how it is going to be done because then, we would have exceeded the capacity by 355 seats.

MYAUBilateral_zpsb70ef84c.png

I think the only way it can work out is for MH to block a number of seats in its flight to stay below the limit.

These are still at least 2 or 3 months away from now. Probably both governments can work out something for the positive during that period?

The cap now is 38 600 seats each way per week from SYD, MEL (Tullamarine), BNE & PER.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/international/files/register_available_capacity_310713.pdf

Refer to page 4 of the above document, the agreement with Malaysia was updated on 19/7/13 :drinks:

There is unrestricted seats allowed from other airport (eg. OOL, DRW, ADL or even AVV)

Will we see MAS A380 in SYD ?

The cap now is 38 600 seats each way per week from SYD, MEL (Tullamarine), BNE & PER.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/international/files/register_available_capacity_310713.pdf

Refer to page 4 of the above document, the agreement with Malaysia was updated on 19/7/13 :drinks:

Thank you for the link Mr. Kee. Brilliant find!

So with this additional capacity, there should not be any more excuses for MH not to deploy the A380 to SYD and/or MEL other than not enough aircraft. I did a little simulation of how the table will be like if MH deploys the A380 daily to both SYD and MEL:

MYAUBilateral2_zpsdb85ddf8.png

If MH wants the A380 in SYD and/or MEL, they better act fast before D7 takes all the remaining seats by launching a 3rd daily flight to SYD, MEL and PER. This is how it will be like if D7 decides to do so:

MYAUBilateral3_zpsbe50c413.png

The current new bilateral can not accommodate the situation where D7 has 3 daily flights to SYD, MEL and PER whilst having MH flying the A380 daily to either SYD or MEL. The remaining seats left then is just not enough for MH to even launch a daily A380 flight to either SYD or MEL.

Refer to Australia-Malaysia Air Services Agreement :

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/dfat/treaties/1973/5.html

Firstly, Malaysia based airlines are allowed to fly beyond SYD, MEL, PER or DRW to AKL. Not sure if these are 5th freedom flights.

If the answer is positive, then my suggestion to MAS :

MH123

Reschedule the departure time to pass midnight, say 12:30am - 1.00am and gets into SYD late morning around 11am. Returning flight MH122 remains the same at around 2pm

MH141

Departs at 9am and arrives SYD around 7.30pm as per current schedule. Continues to AKL with SYD-AKL STD 10pm and STA 3:30am local time. AKL-SYD STD 6:00am and STA 8:00am local time. Returns back to KUL from SYD as morning flight circa 10.00am

Introduce 3rd daily flight, say MH165

Departs at around 8:30pm and arrives SYD around 6:30am the next day similar to current MH123. Continues to AKL with SYD-AKL STD 8:30am and STA 1:30pm local time. AKL-SYD STD 5pm and STA 7pm local time. Returns back to KUL from SYD around 10pm as per current MH141

With the early morning & late evening departure from SYD and early morning & evening departure from AKL, I believe MAS will be able to capture a substantial trans Tasman market. EK is doing well on trans Tasman flights.

Even D7 can consider this option to re-enter NZ market.

Secondly, the bilateral agreement allows airlines from Malaysia to make an intermediate stop in SIN or any city in Indonesia. Again, not sure if these are 5th freedom flights. If they are, my view is that D7 may consider flying additional KUL-SYD vv and KUL-MEL via DPS. DPS is an important leisure market to Australia and I believe D7 can capture the market easily with its lower cost base compare to JQ and VS.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Sign in to follow this