MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew K

MAS Increased Checked and Cabin Baggage Allowances, Excess Charges Reduced

The final table in the published rate is pretty confusing. Does that mean you will get double whammy if for example you have 35kg in 3 pieces of luggages in Y?

And there goes my boxes of lightweight dried seaweed snacks from South Korea. The excess piece of luggage charge will cost more than the content itself. -_- Call it sixth sense, bought a huge Osprey Transporter 95 luggage last night :rolleyes: . Yes, guilty of buying literally the kitchen sink when travelling overseas.

Edited by V Wong

The final table in the published rate is pretty confusing. Does that mean you will get double whammy if for example you have 35kg in 3 pieces of luggages in Y?

Yes.

You know, there is a cheaper-ish option of sending baggage as cargo. I seem to recall the rates are more competitive (but that was in 2011).

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Less work for baggage handlers? Will generate ancillary income in the short term but will encourage pax to switch to other airlines that don't have this restrictions.

Find many locals like to travel with small bag and ended up with many packages on return trip. Believe this group of travellers will take the most impact by the new limitations.

Edited by KK Lee

I believe for Enrich status holders, the additional baggage allowance includes additional bags, e.g. Enrich Platinum gets an additional 2 bags while Enrich Gold gets 1 additional bag.

Just to confirm, thats mean as Enrich Gold member I allowed to checkin max 3 luggages (2 + 1) as long as below 45kg if travelling in Y class?

Just to confirm, thats mean as Enrich Gold member I allowed to checkin max 3 luggages (2 + 1) as long as below 45kg if travelling in Y class?

I think so, but I'm not sure. Better check with the Ticket Office or Call Centre for further clarification. Will inform if I receive further information too.

Find many locals like to travel with small bag and ended up with many packages on return trip. Believe this group of travellers will take the most impact by the new limitations.

And will have a nasty surprise at check-in. Not many occasional travellers are aware of piece system baggage allowance. Any other airline doing such 'hybrid' weight plus piece system limit?

And will have a nasty surprise at check-in. Not many occasional travellers are aware of piece system baggage allowance. Any other airline doing such 'hybrid' weight plus piece system limit?

Qantas is.. Only one check in baggage.. Horrible.

KLM

was about to book my flight to Denpasar till i saw this :

• 1 piece(s) of check-in baggage
  • 1 hand baggage + 1 accessory
Additional piece will cost SGD $56.10 for the SIN-DPS flight :s
Ended up booking Qatar.

Qantas is.. Only one check in baggage.. Horrible.

QF is very strict - if you exceed the weight limit by 0.5kg, will be asked to remove excess until it is strictly below limit.

KLM - now I recall, for my annual Java Jazz jaunt had to be very careful but I never exceed the limit

On the other hand, saw some Japanese travellers check in 2 pieces of light and small luggages in Y for JL ( using piece concept), and were charged excess piece when checking in a 3rd equally light and small luggage.

I, for one is guilty of checking in multiple bags because I almost fully utilise my extra baggage allowance. So as a Platinum member if I am allowed to check in 2 addition baggage then fair enough I'm not too worried because i usually travel with 3-4 baggage.

I believe BA operates piece system.

- Y - 1 Baggage max 23kg

- C - 3 Bags

Ok, I received some sort of clarification from Enrich - the 2 piece system is NOT applicable for Enrich tier holders.

Hopefully everything will be communicated to the frontline so there won't be any confusions!

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Ok, I received some sort of clarification from Enrich - the 2 piece system is NOT applicable for Enrich tier holders.

Hopefully everything will be communicated to the frontline so there won't be any confusions!

Thanks for info, that's mean no limit of pieces? It's applicable for Enrich tier Blue to Platinum or just Silver to Platinum?

Thanks again. :)

Thanks for info, that's mean no limit of pieces? It's applicable for Enrich tier Blue to Platinum or just Silver to Platinum?

Thanks again. :)

Plat, Gold and Silver only. Enrich Blue unfortunately will have to share with the masses. :D

Well I'm not complaining. Is MH REALLY going to enforce it?

I can't for the life of me understand why they gave only a few days' notice.

It just ain't fair to those who've already planned and packed what to bring. Unless, of course, they're only applying this for tickets issued on or after 28 May.

Well I'm not complaining. Is MH REALLY going to enforce it?

Even that I don´t make any friends with my following statement, but I would love to see if the airlines would really enforce the baggage rules, especially the cabin baggage rules. If they would follow it strict nobody would complain anymore that there is not space in the overhead, boarding would be quicker, deboarding as well...

What many people forget: Purchases in Duty Free are part of the cabin luggage rule as well and in my point of view should be handled as this by the cabin crew (so, that means either trolley plus laptop bag and duty free purchase inside these 2 pieces or you give a miss to one of your bags to replace it with a duty free bag) I always feel like sitting in a cargo plane travelling domestic in Asia, specially in Indonesia or China.

Sorry folks, but this is my point of view. Rules are there and should be followed :acute:

Cheers

Andreas

Plat, Gold and Silver only. Enrich Blue unfortunately will have to share with the masses. :D

What about OW elites? Any news on that? (not that i ever bust the limit anyway.. usually travel very light :) )

What many people forget: Purchases in Duty Free are part of the cabin luggage rule as well and in my point of view should be handled as this by the cabin crew (so, that means either trolley plus laptop bag and duty free purchase inside these 2 pieces or you give a miss to one of your bags to replace it with a duty free bag) I always feel like sitting in a cargo plane travelling domestic in Asia, specially in Indonesia or China.

Andreas

Cabin luggage rules is mean to protect duty free shop/airport operator, so that pax still can carry duty free items.

What about OW elites? Any news on that? (not that i ever bust the limit anyway.. usually travel very light :) )

Correct me if i am wrong but i thought only OW Emerald gets extra baggage across all OneWorld carriers. So I assume OW Ruby and Sapphire won't get this privilege but Enrich members Silver and above will for MAS operated flights.

Correct me if i am wrong but i thought only OW Emerald gets extra baggage across all OneWorld carriers. So I assume OW Ruby and Sapphire won't get this privilege but Enrich members Silver and above will for MAS operated flights.

Yes, you are right - only OWE gets 1 piece or 20kg extra across all OW carriers unless the fare itself doesn't include baggage to begin with. (example: BA handluggage only fares ex LGW). Sorry - to clarify, i was asking pertaining to the OWE benefit. What you say makes most sense i guess:

MH Silver and Gold gets extra as per the chart, OWR OWS don't

MH Plat gets extra 100%, OWE gets 1 piece or 20kg... if i'm guessing.

How much mh could save from fewer number of luggage? How much ancillary income mh expect from extra luggage?

Logically, for international flights at least it'll probably cut down on the number of baggage containers carried (which is dead weight). More open space too means more cargo can be carried as well.

So as a Platinum member it is only 1 extra baggage like the rest of the Enrich Elite card holders.

Edited by Henry

Sign in to follow this