MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew K

MAS Increased Checked and Cabin Baggage Allowances, Excess Charges Reduced

"MAS said it was introducing these benefits on all its flights that used the weight system for checked baggage, and that it was not applicable for travel to and from Los Angeles where charges are based on the piece system.

Under the new baggage guidelines, all adult and child passengers will enjoy 30, 40, and 50kg free baggage allowance for travel on economy, business and first class respectively."

More from http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/2/9/nation/20130209132007&sec=nation

And not forgetting the new excess baggage charges - much simpler to calculate:

For KUL - Domestic/ASEAN destinations : RM 30 per 5 kg

For KUL - North & South Asia/Australia/New Zealand : RM 60 per 5 kg

For KUL - Europe/Saudi Arabia : RM 90 per 5 kg

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

:good: :good: :good:

(now if I travel on EY again, we can fully utilize their 30kg allowance :))

Edited by BC Tam

Now this is what I am talking about. MH is now on par with or better than all the big Middle Eastern airlines EK, QR and EY, all of which offer a generous baggage allowance:

Economy Class

EK - 30 kg

QR - 23 kg

EY - 30 kg

Using the new excess baggage charges rate, recollecting my account of having to paid RM 3,024 for an extra 16.5 kg to Heathrow, under the new regime the total charges will be:

16.5/5*90 = RM 297.

Is this correct? Seems rather too low when compared to the amount I used to pay and not inclines with revenue orienteering that MH is aspiring to be.

Using the new excess baggage charges rate, recollecting my account of having to paid RM 3,024 for an extra 16.5 kg to Heathrow, under the new regime the total charges will be:

16.5/5*90 = RM 297.

Is this correct? Seems rather too low when compared to the amount I used to pay and not inclines with revenue orienteering that MH is aspiring to be.

I believe it will be rounded up to 20 kg - but still at RM 360 it's a tenth of the old charges.

I was surprised myself when I read the circular.

The increased checked baggage allowance is a very good move.

More details and refinement:

Effective 14 February 2013, those flying on MH operated flights across Asia, Australasia, Europe and the Middle East enjoy 10kg extra baggage allowance across all classes. As an Enrich Elite member, you're entitled to even higher allowances.

We are simplifying our excess baggage rates. They are now charged in 5kg blocks in Malaysian currency, whether you're flying from Malaysia or outside the country:

NOTES:

Baggage allowance and baggage rules remain unchanged for:
spacer.png

Infant free baggage allowance of 10kg Travel to/from USA Travel on codesharing flights Travel on MASwings

chart1A.jpg

chart2.jpg

More details and refinement:

Effective 14 February 2013, those flying on MH operated flights across Asia, Australasia, Europe and the Middle East enjoy 10kg extra baggage allowance across all classes. As an Enrich Elite member, you're entitled to even higher allowances.

We are simplifying our excess baggage rates. They are now charged in 5kg blocks in Malaysian currency, whether you're flying from Malaysia or outside the country:

NOTES:

Baggage allowance and baggage rules remain unchanged for:

spacer.png

Infant free baggage allowance of 10kg Travel to/from USA Travel on codesharing flights Travel on MASwings

Enrich Platinum gets 100 kg baggage allowance - you can basically check-in a person as luggage and transport it for free :lol:

........................................ you can basically check-in a person as luggage and transport it for free :lol:

........ and inform the check in staff that you just checked in 'a biological substance' with IATA code 'TDH' so that a proper temp may be set in the baggage compartment ............ :good:

:hi:

Does the excess baggage pricing apply to both directions, let's say flying from the UK, will it still be RM90 per 5 kg??

That's an unbelievable pricing, considering SQ is charge USD50 per kg!

Edited by Edwin P K

Does the excess baggage pricing apply to both directions, let's say flying from the UK, will it still be RM90 per 5 kg??

That's an unbelievable pricing, considering SQ is charge USD50 per kg!

Yeah, the equivalent in GBP - but if you're flying beyond KUL you'll be charged the origin-KUL & KUL-destination fee.

Eg LHR-SYD, you will be charged for LHR-KUL & KUL-SYD.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will be enhancing its cabin baggage allowance for all its domestic and international flights effective July 1.

In a statement today, the national carrier said Economy Class guests will now be allowed one piece of cabin baggage up to a maximum 7kg instead of 5kg.

Guests in First and Business Class have an allowance of two pieces of cabin baggage with a maximum weight of 7kg each.

Each cabin baggage should have a maximum height of 56cm, length of 36cm and width of 23cm.

"This guideline is applicable for all air travel and will be strictly implemented across the airline's extensive global network effective July 1," it said.

Apart from the streamlined cabin baggage allowance, each guest can bring on board either a notebook/laptop or briefcase, or a binocular bag.

In addition, guests can also bring one small handbag and a walking stick.

Those travelling with infants below 24 months old may also bring one bag containing baby food and nappies weighing up to 5kg, a carry cot and a fully collapsible baby stroller.

All cabin baggage must conform to local laws and security measures applied at the respective airports, MAS said, adding that its regular rates will be applied to cabin baggage in excess of these allowances. - Bernama, June 29, 2013.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/mas-enhances-cabin-baggage-allowance-from-july/

Baggage and carry-on allowances aside, if it can't fit in the cabin, it will have to go down to the cargo compartment.

Or the aircraft will not move from the parking stand.

Edited by Radzi

Effective 28 May 2014, guests are allowed to check-in a maximum of 2 pieces of baggage on any class of travel and a newly revised baggage rate will apply per block concept on Malaysia Airlines’ operated flights. The amount of checked baggage that you can take with you free of charge will vary according to the route, class of travel, terms and conditions of ticket and Enrich tier status.

Excess baggage charges will be levied based on weight pricing for all regions. For our Enrich Silver, Gold and Platinum members, you will still be able to enjoy an extra additional checked-in baggage during your travel. (The maximum baggage rate shall apply in accordance to the tier of membership).

This new baggage rules is not favourable. As an Enrich Platinum member I feel that my 100% excess baggage allowance is pointless because travelling in Business Class means i get 80Kg and with a max of 32kg each for each baggage and a max of 2 pieces, I cannot fully utilise my 80kg baggage allowance. And if i travel in First class i am entitled to 100kg but i can only use again 64kg max of the 100kg i am entitled too.. Doesn't make sense and its a devaluation of Enrich benefits. Or am i missing something here..

Certainly not favourable. People prefer to have the option of check in many smaller bags or boxes, especially Asians on their overseas shopping trips and students..

Sign in to follow this