MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Bargain Fares

Should put a disclaimer - try at your own risk!

I don't think airlines would be accommodating something untoward would happen to any one of the legs (delays etc).

Yes, for this kind of flight arrangement, better to leave one day for connection and don't forget travel insurance too! Nothing in this world is free - travel cheap, be prepared for inconvenience!

Should put a disclaimer - try at your own risk!

I don't think airlines would be accommodating something untoward would happen to any one of the legs (delays etc).

You aren't protected in the case of a misconnect. That is clear. Anyway, we can't always have our cake and eat it - and if one wants lower cost, this is a way to do it, albeit, as you mention, with risk. What you'll find is that it's a good way to break up the journey into manageable portions if you have a day or two in between, which also mitigates this risk somewhat.

yes, Australian pax is always get ripped-off :angry:

Hence my suggestion to MH /D7 to look into possibility to venture into market ex-Australia other than SYD/BNE/ADL/DRW/MEL/PER - KUL B)

Not sure if Aussie consumers are being ripped-off! Could the reason be due to the strong consumer protection laws in Australia? Companies operating there bear extra costs for compliance. So they charge more for their goods and services.

Thanks all for the response re ex-Aus fares.

Looks like my sis is likely to go with the most straightforward way - i.e. BNE-LHR on SQ :p Although these fares aren't cheap, they're booked into W/H class which come with a more flexible condition/higher mileage accrual. :)

Suzanne, I did try your suggestion by breaking the journey in half, hmm doesn't seem to work though. Hmm...am I missing something?

Thanks all for the response re ex-Aus fares.

Looks like my sis is likely to go with the most straightforward way - i.e. BNE-LHR on SQ :p Although these fares aren't cheap, they're booked into W/H class which come with a more flexible condition/higher mileage accrual. :)

Suzanne, I did try your suggestion by breaking the journey in half, hmm doesn't seem to work though. Hmm...am I missing something?

I haven't looked lately - but I regularly see some crazy deals ex Indochina to europe. Want me to look?

I haven't looked lately - but I regularly see some crazy deals ex Indochina to europe. Want me to look?

Thanks Suzanne :) May I know which airlines that have deals ex-Indo china regularly? Just curious... not for my sis though, I don't think she like hopping around like I do.

I did have a quick look and I found some interesting J fare by an European carrier at just over RM5k. Can this be considered a deal?

Edited by H C Chai

I am planning a trip to Turkey on the end of September. Fares ex-SIN is getting out of hand at S$13xx return on QR (with long transit time in DOH). So being a budget conscious young adult, I search around and found this route the cheapest, costing S$10xx:

1004929_10151851605255485_962994610_n.jpg

Read from below..

So it's basically a SIN-KUL-DXB-KUL-SIN on MH and DXB-AMM-IST-AMM-DXB on RJ with two separate bookings.

I would have a ~5 hours transit in DXB during my outbound between MH and RJ flight and ~3 hours transit on the inbound between RJ and MH.

Since both airlines are in Oneworld alliance, I guess there's an interline agreement between them and my bags can be checked all the way through to my final destination ie IST/SIN, thus enabling me to just stay on the airside in DXB? Or do I have to collect my bags and go through everything again?

If I have to go through all the formalities again in DXB, will I have enough time considering my 3 hours transit in DXB during the return (assuming there will be no delays in any flight)?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I've got another question regarding booking on MH website:

How come MH website won't display KUL-SIN flights on 6/10 and only display flights with such longggggggg connection? I'm not too keen to stay in KUL for such a long time!

1175016_10151851590090485_967244311_n.jpg

Expedia on the other hand allows me to book myself on the earlier flight so I can reach SIN on the same day.

1150368_10151851595555485_1297067040_n.jpg

Is it safe to book on Expedia then? I've never book on a third party website before.

Your reply will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Kelson

I've seen some open jaws too on Ebookers.com

Etihad Airways KUL-AUH-IST on 27/9, IST-AUH-SIN on 6/10. £435 or approx S$870

Malaysia Airlines KUL-IST on 28/9, IST-KUL-SIN on 5/10 or 7/10 £415 or approx S$830

Both looks pretty insteresting as you get fly with more than 1 airlines (IST-AUH and IST-KUL are operated by Turkish). The MAS booking only has 1 seat left though...

You'll obviously need to book a separate ticket to travel from SIN to KUL one way... thats probably another S$150-250?!

I've used Ebookers before and they're quite well known over here in the UK. Happy planning!

Edited by H C Chai

Those booked on D7, there is a mere rm88 upgrade option to XL seats (sorry...it's HOTSEATS) for a limited time only!!!! anyone travelling with them soon?

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Hot seats are not really worth that much.

Better to go to Optiontown and try to snag the premium seats at 75% discount.

Hot seats are not really worth that much.

Better to go to Optiontown and try to snag the premium seats at 75% discount.

Oh yes i agree with this.

Either get the premium seat, or try to get the empty seat option.

RM88 should be ok, no? The empty seat options is kinda a waste IMHO.

If you've never booked a mistake fare, or played this game, and you did book this fare, a word of advice: don't start making ancillary/positioning bookings to/from PNH/SGN yet. Let the dust settle and see if you are in luck. But whatever you do..........

Rule no 1: DO NOT CALL QR.

Rule no 2: I repeat: DO NOT CALL QR.

Rule no 3: Just to be sure: DO NOT CALL QR.

That will almost certainly lead to a non-honor. Not that QR has a great reputation with this sort of thing anyway.

Ah and one more thing: DO NOT CALL QR!

If you've never booked a mistake fare, or played this game, and you did book this fare, a word of advice: don't start making ancillary/positioning bookings to/from PNH/SGN yet. Let the dust settle and see if you are in luck. But whatever you do..........

Rule no 1: DO NOT CALL QR.

Rule no 2: I repeat: DO NOT CALL QR.

Rule no 3: Just to be sure: DO NOT CALL QR.

That will almost certainly lead to a non-honor. Not that QR has a great reputation with this sort of thing anyway.

Ah and one more thing: DO NOT CALL QR!

And if they do not honour, will they just refund your payment?

Will they only notify you at the very last minute that the booking will be dishonoured?

Will they only notify you at the very last minute that the booking will be dishonoured?

What better way to find out than to give QR a call :p

Yes, you get your money back.

As for notification - if they do not intend to honour the fare, they would be doing you a great service by telling you early, however they are not really under any obligation to do so.

There have been cases where both the booking and ticket remain intact until time of departure - only to be denied at the airport. Sometimes, they cancel the ticket, but the booking remains intact (meaning the booking is not backed by a valid coupon/s), which is also sneaky.

Playing this game ALWAYS requires you to have a plan B and C. You never count your chickens until the last segment has taken off. (I've heard of boarding passes issued only to be told to kindly get off, so even that is not safe). Personally, I've had a few denials at the airport, but still a decent strike rate I think. Worst case scenario - you be prepared to buy a walk up fare in PNH back home, and make sure the hotel bookings in DOH are flexible.

This is why I will never take my parents on fares like these. Can lead to huge disappointment if it doesn't work out, and they're too old for this kind of stress :)