MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Bargain Fares

Don't think so. Citizens of ASEAN countries may not be subject to the visa requirements.

Do we need transit visa to transit via Vietnam's airports? Seen in Skyscanner that VN often are only about RM100 or 200 more from what D7 offers.

No need. Travelling to Vietnam is relatively hassle-free for us Malaysians.

I agree VN gives pretty good value. Their meals are decent and I kinda like their seats. Flew KUL-HAN-KUL last year which cost me just RM400 return all in.

Do we need transit visa to transit via Vietnam's airports? Seen in Skyscanner that VN often are only about RM100 or 200 more from what D7 offers.

flew to SGN recently..definitely hassle free and no visa required. just queue at the Asean Passport lane.

Nowadays need to check fares on MAS first - then AK - as I just check for flights from KUL to CAN (Guangzhou) for 7 april to 10th apr and MH offers rm860 net and AK was rm930!! Similiarly did a check from KUL to Melbourne on 30th June and MH was rm1,700 whereas AK is rm1,650 !! What's happening to Air Asia X as their fares are now totally uncompetitive as a budget carrier with tight seating. Even Emirates offer is only rm1,670

It has always been uncompetitive for short range bookings. Cheap fares only happen when they first open their database for booking - that usually means booking at least 10 months before travelling. So, if you use the same booking pattern as you use for FSCs, you seldom find bargains. You have to follow their promos to get anything worthwhile.

Both LCC and FSC are guilty of the same practice. For example I was checking for flights to KL last week. The first time I check was 126 about a week before departure. Then with just 5 days to go, the price went down to 79.

I had also check KLM for KUL - AMS. Been keeping an eye on this for awhile now. The cheapest around Dec last year was about 2.4k - 2.5k for peak season in April. Flower season. Seats were quickly snapped up and later the price swell to 2.7,maybe even 3k. AF certainly did swell to 2.9+ for KUL-CDG. Now the price came down again for the same travel period.

So in short, still not the cheapest if you buy 12 montH's in advance.

I once been told airline ticketing reservation system is one of the most sophisticated system in the world. It is so dynamic and the system will automatic set the prices based on information gathered from the current seat demands as well as doing projection on the sales. How true is that ?

I once been told airline ticketing reservation system is one of the most sophisticated system in the world. It is so dynamic and the system will automatic set the prices based on information gathered from the current seat demands as well as doing projection on the sales. How true is that ?

Yes it is - it has a very sophisticated yield management algorithm and will optimise the prices of tickets to ensure maximum yield. That is why we see different prices when checking at different times. That is why passengers also get more sophisticated - using search engines to search for their cheapest tickets instead of checking each airline separately.

That is why we see different prices when checking at different times. That is why passengers also get more sophisticated - using search engines to search for their cheapest tickets instead of checking each airline separately.

You can just see the next thing coming along can't you - the airlines gleaning data from those search engines to feed into their own "yield management algorithm" to squeeze that last microliter of blood out from the paying pax :D

VN has good pricing...now with new aircrafts...good food...i wish they would do something about their crew...

i totally agree with you Kenneth. Flew on their KUL-SGN rtn. this month and the crew hardly smiled to pax in YCL. The way beverages and food were offered was also not in the most polite manner

"You want coffee?" (quite loud and monotonous)

maybe it is because of their limitation in speaking English but more training should be provided.

..... The way beverages and food were offered was also not in the most polite manner

maybe it is because of their limitation in speaking English but more training should be provided.

Wow, coffee was offered ? Any other hot beverages available ?

Our Malaysian national carrier has made it a habit of announcing non availability of hot beverages consequent of 'adverse weather conditions' - normally in fluent Bahasa Inggeris

Well, I suppose they must fly differently from the Vietnamese somehow :D

Edited by BC Tam

Our Malaysian national carrier has made it a habit of announcing non availability of hot beverages consequent of 'adverse weather conditions' - normally in fluent Bahasa Inggeris

and hot tea :drinks:

the flight was pretty much uneventful with smooth landing

Their service is not bad...full meal try with appetisers...rolls...dessert...main meal...the full bar service of juices, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages...after meal service includes 'ngunyen' Vietnamese coffee and tea...i find their korean crew a little friendlier...

Their service is not bad...full meal try with appetisers...rolls...dessert...main meal...the full bar service of juices, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages...after meal service includes 'ngunyen' Vietnamese coffee and tea...i find their korean crew a little friendlier...

I cannot verify the accuracy of this but I discussed the poor service standards on VN with a Vietnamese friend once and he offered the following explanation.

He told me than VN cabin crew hiring policies are heavily influenced by nepotism and corruption. Hence, only politically well-connected or people from wealthier upper middle class families that can afford to pay a bribe gets hired for the job.

A little bit of generalizing here but most of these young men and women aren't well suited for the service industry as they have a 'superiority complex' and are only flying for the 'glamour' and perks of traveling. Most also allegedly run side businesses involving mini entrepôt trade of luxury items from overseas and consequently 'sulks' when they have to work on regional turnaround flights especially.

VN cabin crew was ok I thought . They rarely smile, but they get their job done. Attentive , every request I made I got an answer.

Plus the amazing low fare. I won't complain.

Only their ground staff isn't good.

i totally agree with you Kenneth. Flew on their KUL-SGN rtn. this month and the crew hardly smiled to pax in YCL. The way beverages and food were offered was also not in the most polite manner

I cannot verify the accuracy of this but I discussed the poor service standards on VN with a Vietnamese friend once and he offered the following explanation.

He told me than VN cabin crew hiring policies are heavily influenced by nepotism and corruption. Hence, only politically well-connected or people from wealthier upper middle class families that can afford to pay a bribe gets hired for the job.

A little bit of generalizing here but most of these young men and women aren't well suited for the service industry as they have a 'superiority complex' and are only flying for the 'glamour' and perks of traveling. Most also allegedly run side businesses involving mini entrepôt trade of luxury items from overseas and consequently 'sulks' when they have to work on regional turnaround flights especially.

VN cabin crew was ok I thought . They rarely smile, but they get their job done. Attentive , every request I made I got an answer.

Plus the amazing low fare. I won't complain.

Only their ground staff isn't good.

Years ago, VN cabin crews were trained by some Europeans, having a friendly smile was not a priority or cultured. But VN fare is among the cheapest, so can't complain.

Edited by KK Lee

VN desperately needs to revamp their website. What is a common feature in other sites, eg manage my booking, booking meals, are not available. Booked my KIX flight with them (the cheapest around,even cheaper than D7). Although the booking/payment itself went thru alright, I had to really dig around to find an email address for me to request MOML meals

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Haha so true! Happens all the time on MH,the moment the meal service start and no sooner ting! No coffee no tea. !!

VN desperately needs to revamp their website. What is a common feature in other sites, eg manage my booking, booking meals, are not available. Booked my KIX flight with them (the cheapest around,even cheaper than D7). Although the booking/payment itself went thru alright, I had to really dig around to find an email address for me to request MOML meals

is there a malaysian office in kl you can call to book your moml?

Was flying across South China Sea again this afternoon and the AK crew were selling and serving hot beverages, even When the turbulence (slight) was evident. It's apparent MH and AK crews are operating under two opposing extremes of caution !!

Vietnam Airlines KUL-CDG around Nov/Dec. RM1.6k (!!!) The CDG leg will be on their A350

Did a search again and this is still available. The offer is also available on their codeshare flights with AF. So you can go on their A350 and return on AF.