MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Malaysia Airports launches Sama-Sama hotel brand

Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) has launched the Sama-Sama hotel brand that will see the airport own and operate the five-star full service hotel adjacent to Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and the existing transit hotel in the satellite building.

Both hotels will be rebranded Sama-Sama KL International Airport hotel and Sama-Sama Express KLIA respectively, and once the klia2 project is completed in June 2013, a second transit hotel will be opened called Sama-Sama Express klia2.

Speaking at the launch of the brand on Tuesday 15 January at KLIA, Ng Yen Yen, minister of tourism, said on behalf of the prime minister, “It is heartening to note that Malaysia Airports is expanding on its repertoire of airport services to include hospitality with its Sama-Sama brand. It is always a proud moment to see a Malaysian brand grow from strength to strength and achieve success on the world stage.

“Sama-Sama is a vital component in the overall Malaysian blueprint of exporting world-class Malaysian services. With its entry into airport hotel operations, Malaysia Airports is definitely on the runway to success to achieving this key objective.”

MAHB chairman, Tan Sri Dato’ Sri Dr. Wan Abdul Aziz Wan Abdullah, added, “Not content with just providing world-class, award-winning airport services, Malaysia Airports had the vision to offer every passenger who lands at KLIA a seamless travel experience – from the aircraft to the airport and to the hotel room. We will provide the connectivity, the convenience, the facilities and our unique Malaysian hospitality to welcome them. And so the Sama-Sama brand is born.

“The creation of the Sama-Sama brand was only realised after comprehensive consultation with key internal and external stakeholders such as employees, travel industry partners and customers which include our long-term airline clients. During this process, we received positive feedback from these stakeholders who pledged to support our new brand and endeavour.

“It is Malaysia Airports’ aim to take the Sama-Sama brand to other markets where we intend to brand and operate more airport hotels. The launch of the Sama-Sama brand today marks a step towards that vision,” added Wan Abdul Aziz.

Sama-Sama, meaning “togetherness” and “you’re welcome” is representative of how people and cultures come together at the hotels. The Sama-Sama logo depicts two hands locked in an embrace, symbolising the essence of the brand.

http://www.passengerterminaltoday.com/viewnews.php?NewsID=45842

Sorry but does "Sama-Sama" sound five-star full serivce to you?

Why is mahb doing hotels ?

Just concentrate on managing airports ..... And do it well !!

Just got into KLIA yesterday and ....everything takes longer !! Disembarkation to baggage delivery .

And the narrow pathways in the terminal is so jammed with people that one cannot navigate it without getting into some ones way.

Just a reminder , KLIA is not a shopping centre !!

Hard for the electro cart to bring people from one gate to another with such narrow pathways .

Thumbs down for sama sama hotels

Edited by amanairways

Malaysian hotel owners have a habit to discontinue international renowned brand/franchise believing they could operate the hotel better, need not spend money to remodel/upgrade and need not the brand reservation system. However, most if not all of these hotels service and facilities degrade overtime :(

oh no.coudnt they find a better name or even better get an international chain like accor hotels to manage.Novotel,ibis,ibis budget are all accor. Caters for all people.

sorry but sama sama sounds like a hotel in lorong haji taib!

Who on earth came out with such a name for a hotel? I'm not saying that Malay-inspired named hotels are bad, (remember Rasa Sayang Hotel at PJ?) but in this sense, it just doesn't jive.

It will be downhill from here then...all the best MAHB!! Sama-sama sounds so motel-ish....

The first few previews at TripAdvisor had stated the new management lacks the 'soft touch' of Pan Pacific KLIA previously, although still good. Let's see in few months time. Good luck KLIA.

I found KLIA crowded at peak hours mainly due to open space in terminal are being used for concessionaires nowadays.......

KK lee: agreed! For some reason, local 4/5 star brands are not up to the same standards as international brands (eg. Berjaya langkawi which looks run down now).

Sama-sama does sound motel-ish. I do not understand why people cannot leave things alone, especially things that are doing well like pan pac KLIA

Maybe they just wanted to suck/milk it to death...

My personal opinion - the market that these mahb hotels are catering to, branding isn't quite priority, much less name :)

If you are in need of some personal space to try grab a bit of rest in between flights and freshen up too, I would hazard a guess you're already in quite distressed state physically (jet lagged, aching back, etc) In which case, it matters little (in my opinion anyway) whether the place is named lain-lain or wonga-wonga or even remain nameless (as in airside hotel at BWN) - priorities should be a clean and comfy bed to stretch out on plus shower facility, those would top my list :)

My personal opinion - the market that these mahb hotels are catering to, branding isn't quite priority, much less name :)

If you are in need of some personal space to try grab a bit of rest in between flights and freshen up too, I would hazard a guess you're already in quite distressed state physically (jet lagged, aching back, etc) In which case, it matters little (in my opinion anyway) whether the place is named lain-lain or wonga-wonga or even remain nameless (as in airside hotel at BWN) - priorities should be a clean and comfy bed to stretch out on plus shower facility, those would top my list :)

True, but if they're gonna charge me 400 bucks for a koyak-koyak room, then no thanks.

True, but if they're gonna charge me 400 bucks for a koyak-koyak room, then no thanks.

Sometimes 400 bucks (of any denomination) can seem a bargain when one is physically stressed - so never say never :D

For example, I still can't get myself to believe what I paid T/S TF for a couple of gulps of water when I was in the dehydrated state that I was :lol:

There is a jari-jari reflexology centre here. There is a ikan-ikan restaurant here too. I think easier to relate to in those cases, but sama-sama?

Maybe the idea is when you're dead tired and couldn't care less for anything else but a space to play dead in, all rooms are sama-sama anyway :lol:

Pan Pacific KLIA Hotel is no stranger to winning travel accolades. In fact, the hotel has won the "Best Airport Hotel in Asia" award for six consecutive years since 2000 as voted by the Business Asia magazine.

Last year it won top honours at the 2012 World Luxury Hotel Awards held recently at the Pan Pacific KLIA, which also won an award in the “Asian Luxury Airport Hotel” category. The Pan Pacific KLIA also won an award for “Exceptional Host Property”.

Hopefully it could still maintain its status after the rebranding.

Maybe the idea is when you're dead tired and couldn't care less for anything else but a space to play dead in, all rooms are sama-sama anyway :lol:

Lol, then there is a risk that one might end up in someone else's room as they are sama-sama anyway! :D

Malaysian hotel owners have a habit to discontinue international renowned brand/franchise believing they could operate the hotel better, need not spend money to remodel/upgrade and need not the brand reservation system. However, most if not all of these hotels service and facilities degrade overtime :(

Agreed. Some example:

- Puteri Pacific in Johor Bahru from Puteri Pan Pacific

- Riverside Majestic in Kuching from Crowne Plaza Riverside

- Grand Margherita in Kuching from Holiday Inn

- When the old Hilton in Kuala Lumpur changed to Mutiara, business only picked up when Mutiara was replaced by Crowne Plaza.

However, there are some good local brands - YTL Hotels and Impiana come to mind.

I agree. I think this matter occurred because the hotel operates in a monopoly environment (nearest immediate competitors from the same class are all located in Putrajaya - Pullman, Shangri-La and Marriott), hence the owner (MAHB) might think that the property will still generate the same revenues if self managed.

Being the foremost airport hotel to KUL, I still think an internationally well known brand should manage the hotel. After all if we look at all the airport hotels around the region - SIN (Crowne Plaza), BKK (Novotel), CGK (Sheraton), none of which are unknown brand.

Pan Pacific KLIA has won numerous awards for best airport hotel for a decade running before. We will see if Sama Sama is going to continue the streak.

Personally, I think even Tune Hotels have better brand name and international appeal than Sama Sama.

Side note: There will be a new Movenpick Hotel & Convention Center being build next to the KLIA mosque, it is part of the new Tabung Haji complex.

153034473_zpse5ec43e5.jpg

Sign in to follow this