MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
dean hizudy

AA New Look

Glad that they kept the bare metal look.

The fuselage is painted in silver actually

AA's new look symbolizes their passion for progress and the spirit that is uniquely American.

AAnewlook.jpg

Very nice - reminds me of captain america.

On a side note :Also glad to note at least here nobody calls Air Asia "AA" - its a pet peeve of mine. E.g. "Wah I took AA from LCCT to Bali last weekend and it was delayed" - my usual response is "I didn't know American flew between KL and Bali?"

Some Posts and Commends About AA New Livery over the Nets

BusinessBoy - 17/01/2013 18:48 GMT

Wow... Not sure they could have made this any worse.... The tail is an horrific mess. Did they do any user feedback on this design? Maybe they only got feedback from folks in Dallas, hence the mess...

tolotaxi - 17/01/2013 19:03 GMT

Yes, that tail is horrible! The only decent aspect is the 'American' writing. The 'eagle' is a bizarre logo.

CityRiskBoy - 17/01/2013 20:21 GMT

This is starting to grow on me, especially the bold written on the main body and the logo up front....although I still cant help thinking looking at it it looks like a russian carrier!!

scott66 - 17/01/2013 20:25 GMT

Is it fair to assume that if AA have just done a pile of money on re-branding and a new livery the talked about tie up with US Airways isn't going to come to anything or are they going to have to go through the entire exercise of repainting the fleet again in 18 months?

I'd got very comfortable with the tradition AA look, apparently this is the first change in over 40 years, the one thing they have kept is the Helvetica font.

BeckyBoop - 17/01/2013 20:28 GMT

Looks good shame the didn't use any stars on the fin :)

sjldtlon1 - 17/01/2013 20:30 GMT

Odd as it is, the new eagle is nice. The 'American' main body also looks good. I'm not sure how much I like the metallic paint (will have to wait and see what it looks like on the delivery aircraft).

HOWEVER, the tail fin is awful. Far too much going on. When the video showed all the planes simulated lined up with the new livery, the tail fins looked even worse one next to the other.

Well, they've announced it. Gonna have to wait 40 years for another revision *sigh*

Tim2sms - 17/01/2013 20:38 GMT

I love it. Sassy, contemporary. But there again I liked the BA ethnic tailfins too.

Communipaw - 17/01/2013 20:52 GMT

I like it....Looks nice compared to what it has been.

They will probably keep the livery if they merge with US Air. Kind of like how United kept the Continental colors.

BeckyBoop - 17/01/2013 20:55 GMT

Cool vid to go along with it

http://www.aa.com/newamerican

cityprofessional - 17/01/2013 21:34 GMT

What do you I know, I'm just a mere passenger, but I like it. The eagle is clever, neat, contemporary. Tailfin is a bit odd, but at least it's distinctive.

More importantly, the old livery was So Eighties. OMG, how corporate and blocky and Reagan-era was the A-eagle-A. Ugh.

Big improvement, IMHO!

MartynSinclair - 17/01/2013 22:05 GMT

I think the fuselage up to the tail fin is very professional looking and a superb new fresh logo.

Binman62 - 17/01/2013 22:17 GMT

I quite like it but I too also liked the BA ethnic tail fins which were decades ahead of their time.

lloydah - 17/01/2013 22:28 GMT

Love the eagle symbol. Not sure about the tail at first sight but it's got that "We're American" look which I admire. Not because I admire americans per se but I admire the way they are proud of it. I wish we were more proud of our own country sometimes.

rferguson - 17/01/2013 22:42 GMT

I've learned over time to reserve judgement on new airline liveries when they are first released. Sometimes when my first reaction is 'Yuk what the hell??!!' over time I actually come to really like it.

A perfect example is TAP. When I first saw it I thought it was hideous. I must admit it has become one of my favourites now.

I think because AA had such an iconic and classic livery that lasted for decades (unlike say UA who seemed to change theirs every six months!) people will have strong views on it.

My first reaction was not positive. I quite like the stylised eagle symbol but I think the tail fin design is way way over the top. Saying that I did have a look at some video footage on youtube and it doesn't look AS BAD 'in the flesh' so to speak as it does in a static photographic image.

paw11@aol.com - 17/01/2013 23:17 GMT

Great design, thoroughly modern, and the tail fin is striking. It's somewhat odd how similar it is in feeling to BA, but maybe it was planned as the two sit together at oneworld. Change is good-and inevitable.

Yes, it is a nice re-work of the AA livery as the old one has been around for more more than 40 years. I think the base colour is grey, not silver.

On a side note :Also glad to note at least here nobody calls Air Asia "AA" - its a pet peeve of mine. E.g. "Wah I took AA from LCCT to Bali last weekend and it was delayed" - my usual response is "I didn't know American flew between KL and Bali?"

Well an aviation forum should be more technically accurate. But I do note that lots of non-aviation people in Malaysia do call Airasia "AA".

Note that many Malaysians are still very insular and have not heard of American Airlines. To them, an American airline is more like Pan Am or TWA!

Yes, it is a nice re-work of the AA livery as the old one has been around for more more than 40 years. I think the base colour is grey, not silver.

Well an aviation forum should be more technically accurate. But I do note that lots of non-aviation people in Malaysia do call Airasia "AA".

Note that many Malaysians are still very insular and have not heard of American Airlines. To them, an American airline is more like Pan Am or TWA!

or for them ''American Airlines" are every airlines from/based in America

the chance is slim in this site that full of Aviation ethusiasts

I really don't like this livery! nothing meaning for me, tail scheme is looks like much "US patriotism". Maybe American Airlines think about employees pays instead creating new livery! American economy in "deep" still!

The eagle's beak approach is only slightly more complex than AF's approach!

I really don't like this livery! nothing meaning for me, tail scheme is looks like much "US patriotism". Maybe American Airlines think about employees pays instead creating new livery! American economy in "deep" still!

Here is why they chose this livery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-KD0PdI1Ek%C2%A0

Edited by dean hizudy

I like the new one better than the old livery. However, a new livery doesn't make up for the lousy service and bad attitude of the majority of their employees. The "american" attitude (both the airline and the country in general): bad service and bad attitude.

Awful !!!

How on earth can you design a tail logo as this ?

Although I like the fond and stylished eagle, the tail is more Cuban to me than American...

I actually like what they've done to the eagle and to the livery on the fuselage. Not quite so much a fan of the design on the tail but it is still better than the original.

Sign in to follow this