MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian Meredith

Cathay 'no smile' rule

A quick question: are the Cathay cabin crew still on the 'no smile' action? The reason I ask is because I was on a CX KUL - HKG sector this week and found the crew, whilst efficient, were without any personality. Hopefully this was because of the industrial action and not purely because of declining standards, The Dragonair crew from HGK to HGH were very different and very pleasant. Grateful for your thoughts.

I bet they are quite 'ugly' too for an average M'sian standard ........ I travelled on CX quite a bit, it depends on nationality. I could generally say that Hongkies are less friendlier and nosier compare to S'poreans, M'sians, Thais and Pinoys. Other nationalities are so-so .........

As a general rule (my own guide only), if she is ugly, she is definitely NOT friendly, let alone smiling ..........

No, they did not carry out any industrial action after CX and cabin crew union came to an agreement just before new year last year.

:hi:

CX in my opinion, is a very overrated airline. Have flown on CX 3 times since last year and at least half of the cabin crews were not friendly at all. KA on the other hand, were really good. Big thumbs up to KA :D

CX in my opinion, is a very overrated airline. Have flown on CX 3 times since last year and at least half of the cabin crews were not friendly at all. KA on the other hand, were really good. Big thumbs up to KA :D

You wouldn't smile of course when you are underpaid and the company and CEO keeps making s#1t load of money :)

Are they really underpaid ? And Cathay Pacific actually made losses in 1H2012.

Anyway, those at KA actually make less money than those at CX yet they are still showing a professional attitude with bright smile on their face and very attentive and at the same time very polite and friendly.

I had a headache on my flight from BKI to HKG on Monday and I requested for some panadols from the air steward. They were busy serving the special meals then but he came back with a warm water and the panadols I requested in no time. He even came back to check on me twice. The first time right after they finished the meal service and then once more before landing. It is these little details that count. That is why KA stands out of its bigger cousin with newer planes, more advanced IFE etc.

I had a stomach ache back in Sep 2011 on my CX flight from PEK to HKG and requested for some meds for the stomach ache. The stewardess actually forgot to come back to me. Then another stewardess from Business Class walked by the Economy cabin. This time this stewardess from Business Class came back to me with the meds very quickly. As mentioned, on all the CX flights I took, about half of the CX cabin crews are very good, while the other half are just rotten apples that is tarnishing the CX's image. I also noticed the better crews are those working in Business Class or those more senior ones wearing coats.

Edited by Isaac

I don't like flying CX because the Hongkie attitude is that they are far superior to all other Asians...but they treat Caucasian passengers very nicely. SQ has a bit of a reputation for that kind of attitude too.

I fly CX for work....at least once a month....so far I have encounter very nice n professional flight attendants and also have come across those that "didn't wanna work" there on tht day....By far the most pleseant and smiling cabin crew I came across are from Japan..... those HK cabin crew are a hit n miss....some are really friendly and smiling....some forgot to bring their smile on tht day.....Koreans and Philippinos are also ok...... U will be suprised the male cabin crew to me seems to be more friendly than the female counterparts at times

I agree with the comments here. CX is quite overrated based on 4 flights I take with them. Unlike MH, they have strong hardware, but very weak service. When I took them in 2011, FA in Y never smiled. However, I found their purser and higher ranked crew were friendly and welcoming. Something I noticed on all flights with them, once we landed all Y crew were gone (in the galley perhaps), leaving a purser and one/two FAs from business to say goodbye to passengers,

A "practical" approach to work perhaps? Work is compulsory, but not the smile. I notice that kind of attitude even in my office.

Agreed with the comment here. Flew KUL-HKG, there is an Caucasian man sitting beside me. The attitude of the stewardess serve him was way much friendlier than me and worst towards the Mainlanders. Totally 2 different person.

However on my way back, there is a Malaysian stewardess was way better. Felt like flying MH / SQ.

I have personally experienced this from SQ (but this was quite a few years back now and made me avoid them for quite a long time) and this was even in business class! They could see from the manifest that my surname was clearly of Malaysian origin, so that attitude was bad right from the start. Then they had to interact with me to get meal choices. They then realised that I don't sound "asian" at all, which meant I was a "foreigner" asian and then their attitude changed. I have never experienced this kind of attitude from MH crew in my 30 years of flying.

As for the CX crew treating mainlanders poorly, I think that's everyone's attitude towards mainlanders! LOL. Mind you, mainlander behaviour often causes the bad attitude towards them.

MH crew in my 30 years of flying.

MAS had/has this kind of problem too...

As for the CX crew treating mainlanders poorly, I think that's everyone's attitude towards mainlanders! LOL. Mind you, mainlander behaviour often causes the bad attitude towards them.

Not on KA though. As a matter of fact, my first trip to China was on KA and all the crews were very polite and friendly to everyone and this includes the Mainlaind Chinese. The same can't be said on my CX flight back to HKG a few days later though.

Anyway, if there is a choice and both CX and KA are both flying on a route such as to TPE, PVG and PEK, I'll always choose to take take KA whenever possible, without a doubt!

Not on KA though. As a matter of fact, my first trip to China was on KA and all the crews were very polite and friendly to everyone and this includes the Mainlaind Chinese. The same can't be said on my CX flight back to HKG a few days later though.

Anyway, if there is a choice and both CX and KA are both flying on a route such as to TPE, PVG and PEK, I'll always choose to take take KA whenever possible, without a doubt!

I have personally experienced this from SQ (but this was quite a few years back now and made me avoid them for quite a long time) and this was even in business class! They could see from the manifest that my surname was clearly of Malaysian origin, so that attitude was bad right from the start. Then they had to interact with me to get meal choices. They then realised that I don't sound "asian" at all, which meant I was a "foreigner" asian and then their attitude changed. I have never experienced this kind of attitude from MH crew in my 30 years of flying.

If you live in HK like myself, you will know why people treat mainlanders with poor attitude. Most mainlanders attitude are pretty poor, they think they can pretty much treat anyone poorly because they can afford to do so. They speculate the property prices of Hong Kong properly and cause many poor Hong Kongers to live in very poor conditions. To sum it up, most Chinese people are very rude in their nature who do not know how to treat people nicely.

For other Asians, I think if it is looking purely at the attitude and politeness. Most Asian suffered slightly when compared to westerners, who happen to play better cards than most Asian. Sometimes it is not about fre race thing, but it is about generalization and who plays the upper hand better :)

Most of KA's route (prolly 80 percent) connects to the mainland and it is really their life line. They wouldn't want to mess it up, would they? Compared to only two mainland routes for CX.

Just did PEN-HKG today......service was just normal SOP....had some smiles but that's it....no complains though.....taking HKG-MXP later....will see how it fares..........

Mind you, mainlander behaviour often causes the bad attitude towards them.

:good:

Thanks, Pieter. ;)

Anyway, I have heard that MH has had some of that attitude too but, like I've said, I have never experienced it in my 30 years of flying with this airline.

Thanks, Pieter. ;)

Anyway, I have heard that MH has had some of that attitude too but, like I've said, I have never experienced it in my 30 years of flying with this airline.

I have experienced it during the late 80s and early 90s. Especially if one does not know much English that day, those FA could give you a bit of superiority attitude.

I think the attitude still exists in some domestic flights. My recent flights with MH, I think there were some negativities, but was directed at other pax.

My personal opinion only :

I flew CX last week. Definitely far from what I'd call ' great ' service.

I never had issues with Singapore Airlines. Always found their service meeting expectations if not exceeding.

Just food for thought:

Human to human interactions are so very subjective - further complicated by the individuals' personalty, and at deeper level, mood on day/at moment of interaction

eg. the personnel attending to your request on day so and so could well be under PMS stress, or just had a cheerful message from his/her significant other

you on the other hand could have just had a grilling from the boss (or worse still, from your significant other) or just been gratuitously satiated by some retail therapy

Point being, our perception of what is pleasant and what is not, is so very dependent on exernal factors - can we really place any worthwhile judgement on issue ?

:unknw:

I agree with you BC, however, cabin crew are paid to do the job (inflight safety & pax handling services). They chose to sign the dotted line and they must adhere to Ts & Cs. Whether fake or genuine smile is immaterial but smiling is part of the job and they have no choice with regard to inflight service protocol outlined by the company.

Could not stand the external pressure/factors? ......... then the front line job may not be the right career path to certain quarter of people.

As a fare paying pax, I would like to ensure that my money spent is worth the service rendered because I am entitled to it. This is not a 'favour' thingy. If I were to travel in premium class, I'd like to experience a 'premium service', likewise, if I were to travel in cattle class then I would not expect anything better than a 'slaughterhouse' experience. Therefore, with the amount of budget allocated, I will choose the best carrier (be it the best of the best or the best of the worst) which suits my travel itinerary and class availability.

:hi:

I agree with you BC, however, cabin crew are paid to do the job (inflight safety & pax handling services). They chose to sign the dotted line and they must adhere to Ts & Cs. Whether fake or genuine smile is immaterial but smiling is part of the job and they have no choice with regard to inflight service protocol outlined by the company.

I don't think smiling is part of the T&C of the contract. To be able to carry out the job in a professional manner is perhaps the most important bit. One thing I can't stand with Hong Kong service industry is that they seemed to chat about their own private business and life outside of work, while serving the customer. I think that is not professional at all. It happens to airline staff (CX)m shop keepers and even immigration officers at the airport, while serving customers they keep on chatting and carry on their conversation earlier. Then they forgot about what they do or forgot to pay attention towards you, because that night spent in hangout with friends is more important than eye contact with you.

I think most Chinese have this "gold plated" attitude or sometimes can be translated to 'prince' or 'princess' disease. They think of themselves first and less about others. I notice the difference when compared to Japanese, who are more about getting the job done and contain the situation than their own selves. Not the case with most mainland Chinese and most of CX's staffers.

One thing I can't stand with Hong Kong service industry is that they seemed to chat about their own private business and life outside of work, while serving the customer. I think that is not professional at all. It happens to airline staff (CX)m shop keepers and even immigration officers at the airport, while serving customers they keep on chatting and carry on their conversation earlier. Then they forgot about what they do or forgot to pay attention towards you, because that night spent in hangout with friends is more important than eye contact with you.

This is so true! I was seated at the last row of the plane just now on CX 772 and the stewardesses were all so loud. They kept on chatting during take-off and landing, when they were preparing the meals and after they finished serving the meals. Seriously, they just got so much to talk. LOL and I can hear everything clearly.

As it was a flight originating from ICN to HKG via TPE, there were Korean crews and Taiwainese crews besides the usual Hongkongers. But all of them were very loud. No such problem when I travelled on EVA Air and Asiana Airlines last time. Actually, not even Dragonair, CX's wholly owned subsidiary has this kind of problem.

Anyway, the inflight service today is very good. I suppose I was lucky as the second part of the Y cabin was manned by 2 Korean and 2 Taiwanese stewardesses. Both the Korean stewardesses were assigned to work on my aisle and they were cheerful with a bright smile on their face. The other Hongkongers crews on today's flight seemed ok too, at least much better than my CX flight from a week ago.

Edited by Isaac

Just got back and the service on the return HKG - KUL sector was very good. It was a full flight and the crew were pleasant and helpful (both to Asian and Caucasian passengers!). Not sure what nationality the crew were, but maybe they were HK based and had had plenty of rest!

HKG-KUL and HKG-PEN have Malaysian cabin crew but based in HK. Most of them r fr Penang and KL area. They seem happy as they are coming back to their kampung so looking forward to goin home which may explain why they are happy

Sign in to follow this