MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Revealed: Which airlines have the best in-flight meals

D7 got #4 in Long-Haul Airline Food. Interesting!

RT @azranosmanrani: AAX only LCC in Top 5 Best In-flight meals for 'Longhaul' category. No mention of CX, MH, TG, EK?

===

Revealed: Which airlines have the best in-flight meals
January 15, 2013, 9:26

Skyscanner has revealed the results of its first Asia Pacific Airline Food Awards, with Tiger Airways, Singapore Airlines and Garuda Indonesia rated the best for in-flight meals by a panel of travellers.

More than 200 travellers and bloggers from across Asia Pacific were recruited as food critics, with the panel rating their in-flight meals based on taste, presentation, choice and, for those assessing the low cost airlines, the value for money.

Tiger Airways triumphed in the 'Low Cost Airline' category, beating off competition from fellow Singaporean budget carrier Scoot, AirAsia, Korean airline Jeju Air and China's Spring Airlines who also made it into the top five ranking.

In the 'Short Haul' category it was Singapore Airlines who took the top slot, closely followed by Garuda Indonesia, Korean Air, Philippine Airlines, and China Southern.

When it came to 'Long Haul' dining, Indonesia's national flag carrier Garuda Indonesia piped Korean Air, Singapore Airlines, AirAsiaX and Air China who completed the top five.

The full results are as follows:

Top 5 Low-cost Airline Food
1. Tiger Airways
2. Scoot
3. Air Asia
4. Jeju Air
5. Spring Airlines

Top 5 Short-haul Airline Food
1. Singapore Airlines
2. Garuda Indonesia
3. Korean Air
4. Philippine Airlines
5. China Southern

Top 5 Long-haul Airline Food
1. Garuda Indonesia
2. Korean Air
3. Singapore Airlines
4. AirAsiaX
5. Air China

http://au.totaltravel.yahoo.com/news-opinions/news/a/-/15838261/revealed-which-airlines-have-the-best-in-flight-meals/

Edited by Naim

That is the biggest load of bullsh*t I have ever heard. The food on AirAsiaX is absolutely crap! It is worse than what United Airlines gives you and that's saying something!! The food that I've been served on MH in business and first have been really good. The last time I flew in economy on MH was in May last year and I thought the food was surprisingly good then. SQ's catering in economy was really good according to my mother but she rated the food on D7 the worst she's ever had in the air.

Best airline food I've ever had was on Austrian Airlines' business class (long-haul).

2nd best was on Malaysia Airlines' first class (long-haul, of course).

Best airline food I've ever had was on Austrian Airlines' business class (long-haul).

2nd best was on Malaysia Airlines' first class (long-haul, of course).

IMHO , it was the best till recently .... Good example don't c neither much Haagen Daaz ice creams served in business class nor cheese platter for desert .

If you think MH's food is crap (all classes), try CX .......... :sorry:

WEF jan 2013, I switched all my personal travels on MH's GCCL and satay is my favorite dish ....... :good:

:hi:

The whole research is questionable. Coming from marketing background, how can the research lump full cost carrier with low cost carrier together? They are two different categories of carrier, each with their own distinct 5Ps: Products, People, Price, Place and Promotion. We can further extended 3Ps: Physical Evidence, Process and Physical Environment.

The research should have two categories with two sub-group each:

• Low cost carrier: Short haul and medium-long haul flight
  • Full service carrier: Short haul and medium-long haul flight

Full service carrier gives meal as complimentary (at least in Asian airlines): full main course with sides, selection of drinks and alcoholic drinks, dessert, snacks etc. Low cost carrier only nothing but point A to point B services. Luggage and meal come at extra cost. Both are hardly in the same league.

I had taken SQ, AK, D7, MH, TR, 3K, BI, MU, MF and CZ so far.

SQ Economy Long haul was only a pass. The bread they gave was as hard as rock. And the mee was.....er...er...

AK Short haul was awesome.

D7 Economy Long haul was awesome.

MH Economy Short and Long haul were amazing.

TR never eaten anything cause all cabin crew disappeared after taking off.

3K was all right.

BI Short haul was horrible.

MU, MF and CZ all domestic were horrible.

More than 200 travellers and bloggers from across Asia Pacific were recruited as food critics, with the panel rating their in-flight meals based on taste, presentation, choice and, for those assessing the low cost airlines, the value for money.

What presentation on LCC?

I agree with JuliusWong. The research is very questionable. In my opinion, most LCC within 2 hours flight only served snacks. For example instant noodles served on AK. That should not be considered as a complete meals. The survey on Best In Flight Meals should only be done on a full service carrier with 3 or more flight hours.

Maybe D7 offers the most choices compared to just the standard chicken or beef. :p

Worst airline food (according to my experiences):

1. D7/AK

2. UA (economy)

Best airline food I've ever experienced:

1. OS (long-haul business)

2. MH (long-haul first)

3. VA (domestic business)

4. MH (long-haul business)

5. QF (long-haul business)

Inflight meals are prepared and cooked in batch of hundreds portions, refrigerated for hours if not days and reheated before serving.

:pardon:

Actually this kind of reveal and research is very subjective. It could be based on a singular blogger personal experience or based on customers / passengers experience. I still take Skytrax to be the most accurate one.

Sign in to follow this