MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

All Boeing 787 Dreamliner Grounded Following JAL Incident in Boston

Could the issue of out sourcing too rapidly caused the quality issues? Rushing out products too soon?

RT @Reuters: FLASH: Smoke in ANA's Boeing 787 appeared in cockpit; all 129 passengers, 8 crew members were evacuated safely - Osaka airport spokesman

JAL and ANA had announced they are grounding B787 fleet indefinitely. Japan Ministry of Transport orders all Japan-based B787 to be inspected.

Source: http://news.sky.com/story/1038642/boeing-dreamliners-grounded-by-japan-airlines

Remaining operators AI, LO, QR, ET and UA have yet to take any action.

An update on B787 woes since entry into service:

(Reuters) - Boeing Co's new 787 Dreamliner is the pride of the company's passenger jet fleet, but a series of incidents in the last few months have raised questions about its safety and image. Following is a list of the events:

July - A General Electric Co engine on a 787 in North Charleston, South Carolina, breaks during a preflight test. The National Transportation Safety Board rules it a "contained" failure, meaning the broken pieces did not exit through the engine wall. GE orders inspections of the engines. The Federal Aviation Administration stops short of grounding planes for inspections.

December 4 - A United Airlines 787 with 184 people aboard is forced to make an emergency landing in New Orleans after experiencing electrical problems.

December 5 - U.S. regulators say there is a manufacturing fault in 787 fuel lines and advises operators to make extra inspections to guard against engine failures.

December 13 - Qatar Airways grounds one of its three 787s after finding the same electrical problem that affected the December 4 United flight.

December 17 - United confirms finding an electrical problem in a second plane in its 787 fleet.

January 7 - A parked 787 operated by Japan Airlines catches fire at Boston Logan International Airport after a battery in an auxiliary power system explodes.

January 8 - A second 787 operated by Japan Airlines leaks fuel at Logan, forcing it to cancel its takeoff and return to the gate. The plane departs later.

Following a safety inspection, United finds a wiring problem in the same electrical system that caused the January 7 fire in Boston, the Wall Street Journal reports.

January 9 - Japan's All Nippon Airways Co cancels a 787 flight scheduled for a domestic trip within Japan due to brake problems.

January 11 - A cockpit window on an ANA 787 cracks during a Japanese domestic flight. The plane lands safely with no injuries.

A separate ANA 787 springs an oil leak from its left engine, which is discovered after the plane lands safely.

The U.S. Department of Transportation says the 787 will undergo a comprehensive review of its critical systems.

January 13 - The Japan Airlines 787 that leaked fuel in Boston on January 8 experiences another, separate fuel leak while undergoing checks in Tokyo.

January 15 - A 787 operated by ANA makes an emergency landing at Takamatsu in western Japan after smoke appears in the plane's cockpit.

(Reporting by Ben Berkowitz; Editing by Alden Bentley, Nick Zieminski, Jeffrey Benkoe and Phil Berlowitz)

Source: Chicago Tribute (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-boeing-787-factboxbre90f022-20130115,0,6622417.story)

Wow... String of problems. These are the things to consider if you are really excited of becoming the first/launching customers and etc. 😬

Hope the upcoming A350 will not have the same problems with 787.

Edited by nrazmoor

I'm due to fly on a UA 787 this coming tuesday ORD-IAH. Part of me wants to change it, part of me still gatal to fly.... how ah? :(

Don't do anything for now. At least UA hasn't ground their fleet yet. Let's hope no more incident for next few days, then you'll be safe.....

I'm due to fly on a UA 787 this coming tuesday ORD-IAH. Part of me wants to change it, part of me still gatal to fly.... how ah? :(

I've been on it for an hour and moved maybe 20m before it was returned back to gate and canceled thereafter (it was already delayed 2 hours to begin with).

I've been on UA and LAN's 787 and UA put the 787 to shame. Their mood lighting is ugly and instead of a grand archway passengers see when they walk in, it's a galley - enough said. The seats are 80s CO-style check fabric and it's the old BusinessFirst (the flat beds) in the C cabin. Nothing spectacular and the entire cabin was "darkened" prior to boarding (US carriers tend to do this all the time - lower the shades before boarding!).

LAN on the other hand has warm mood lighting, modern interior and very inviting.

Boeing Commercial Airplanes VP and 787 chief project engineer Mike Sinnett said earlier in the week that the 787 “has more electrical service than any other airplane in service.” He explained that the more electric nature of the 787’s architecture was a design choice enabling the aircraft to require almost no pneumatic power and providing fuel burn savings of around 2%.

I believe there are too much electrical wiring on the 787 that ignites fuel sparks.

Dilemma over. the US FAA saved me from a headache .....

They've ordered a grounding.

January 16, 2013

Phone: laura.j.brown@faa.gov or brie.sachse@faa.gov

As a result of an in-flight, Boeing 787 battery incident earlier today in Japan, the FAA will issue an emergency airworthiness directive (AD) to address a potential battery fire risk in the 787 and require operators to temporarily cease operations. Before further flight, operators of U.S.-registered, Boeing 787 aircraft must demonstrate to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that the batteries are safe.

The FAA will work with the manufacturer and carriers to develop a corrective action plan to allow the U.S. 787 fleet to resume operations as quickly and safely as possible.

The in-flight Japanese battery incident followed an earlier 787 battery incident that occurred on the ground in Boston on January 7, 2013. The AD is prompted by this second incident involving a lithium ion battery. The battery failures resulted in release of flammable electrolytes, heat damage, and smoke on two Model 787 airplanes. The root cause of these failures is currently under investigation. These conditions, if not corrected, could result in damage to critical systems and structures, and the potential for fire in the electrical compartment.

Last Friday, the FAA announced a comprehensive review of the 787’s critical systems with the possibility of further action pending new data and information. In addition to the continuing review of the aircraft’s design, manufacture and assembly, the agency also will validate that 787 batteries and the battery system on the aircraft are in compliance with the special condition the agency issued as part of the aircraft’s certification.

United Airlines is currently the only U.S. airline operating the 787, with six airplanes in service. When the FAA issues an airworthiness directive, it also alerts the international aviation community to the action so other civil aviation authorities can take parallel action to cover the fleets operating in their own countries.

Source: http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=14233

And I might have been on the second last 787 in the air today (the last one could be LAX-NRT) but I heard the news as soon as I landed (after a 2 hour mechanical delay).

Life throws you lemons you make lemonade. Booked instead to go SCL-LIM on LA600/601 in July as we were somehow plotting a machu picchu trip anyway. :)

I'm still going on the trip this tuesday just for jalan jalan anyhow. Spoke to UA who said they'd give me a waiver but i really don't know what else to use it for....

NEW DELHI, Jan 17 (Bernama) -- Air India on Thursday grounded all its six Boeing 787 Dreamliner planes after a global directive by US regulator, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to stop operations of all the 50 such planes delivered so far to various airlines.

The FAA directive was immediately adhered to by aviation regulators of countries whose airlines have so far bought these latest aircraft, Press Trust of India reported.

On Wednesday, Japan had grounded 24 Dreamliners owned by two of its airlines -- All Nippon Airways (ANA) and Japan Airlines.

Air India officials said they had grounded all the six planes in its fleet with immediate effect following the FAA directive and India's Directorate General of Civil Aviation advisory.

They said that the FAA had directed the grounding of the entire Dreamliner fleet till such time as the manufacturer Boeing "demonstrate compliance" of various measures the American regulator had asked it to carry out.

However, the officials maintained that its services would not be affected in any major way as flights to Paris and Frankfurt operated by the aircraft will now be serviced by Boeing 777.

While one of the six planes is always on a standby, three are used on the domestic sector and two on international including Paris and Frankfurt, they said, adding that domestic services would be absorbed by the existing fleet of aircraft.

Boeing had last Friday jointly announced investigations with FAA after three of these aircraft owned by the Japanese carriers suffered glitches this month -- an electrical fire, fuel leakage and a broken cockpit window.

In September last year, Air India had also experienced a glitch in its Dreamliner's liquid cooling system and electrical power system, which had led to the grounding of all three of these planes at that time, said the report.

After the faults were rectified, these aircraft have been flying regularly on selected domestic and international routes.

Regarding the problem of fuel leaks, the Air India officials had said this was not something "unusual as it occurs in all aircraft types. Such problems have to be rectified immediately but these are not anything new or different."

Boeing had designated a team in Delhi for any trouble shooting for Dreamliners.

Dreamliner, the latest and most technologically advanced offering from Boeing, is made of lightweight composite materials instead of aluminium.

"Boeing’s plight stems from choices it made years ago to push the boundaries of aircraft design in a bid to boost fuel economy. The 787 uses unprecedented amounts of electricity, five times as much as in conventional jets, so less power is diverted from the engines to run on-board systems. Boeing depends in part on lithium-ion batteries, which provide quick, powerful charges and can also overheat and catch fire."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-17/boeing-787-groundings-trace-to-one-of-a-kind-technology.html

"Boeing’s plight stems from choices it made years ago to push the boundaries of aircraft design in a bid to boost fuel economy. The 787 uses unprecedented amounts of electricity, five times as much as in conventional jets, so less power is diverted from the engines to run on-board systems. Boeing depends in part on lithium-ion batteries, which provide quick, powerful charges and can also overheat and catch fire."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-17/boeing-787-groundings-trace-to-one-of-a-kind-technology.html

maybe they need to provide more HP air-condition around the lithium-ion batteries to prevent from overheating :D

Sign in to follow this