MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

2013 Aircraft Deliveries to MAS Group, AirAsia Group & Malindo

Will 9M-MS interior be the same as MX series?

Expect full Sky Interior..

I mean without Overhead Life Raft Compartment..

..... Overhead Life Raft Compartment..

What on earth is that ? :shok:

Cannot recall it having ever been mentioned in safety demos, nor in safety cards - perhaps I've not been paying sufficient attention ?! :)

Expect full Sky Interior..

I mean without Overhead Life Raft Compartment..

So, biz class can now get to enjoy the full BSI...instead of just the folks behind the curtains.

Cannot recall it having ever been mentioned in safety demos, nor in safety cards - perhaps I've not been paying sufficient attention ?! :)

It is assumed that there is at least one crew that is not incapacitated following an event that requires deployment of the thingy and will be able to deploy the thingy with a warm smile.

What's the story behind this second hand A320 AK have picked up? I think it's -AQT.

It's build c/n 12xx so easily the oldest A320 in the groups entire A320 fleet.

You're right it's AQT MSN 1286. No idea what's the story, and there are quite a few differences with the other a/c in the group.

MS series are non etops airplane.. therefore, they're not required to carry the Life Raft. So it use curve ceiling panel all the way to the back..

MS series are non etops airplane.. therefore, they're not required to carry the Life Raft. So it use curve ceiling panel all the way to the back..

as non etops planes, would they be used to serve like SIN, SGN, BKK and CGK if the need require them? i mean i doubt any of these destinations are 60 minutes away from an airport that can safely take 738.

as non etops planes, would they be used to serve like SIN, SGN, BKK and CGK if the need require them? i mean i doubt any of these destinations are 60 minutes away from an airport that can safely take 738.

Non-ETOPS planes can do SIN/SGN/BKK/CGK without fuss of course.

For MH B738 ops, ETOPS routes are mostly to southern India destinations (MAA, HYD, BLR, BOM) as well as CMB and MLE. Other routes are within 60 minutes of a suitable airport at single engine speed (420 nm). BTW ETOPS doesn't have to be over water flights, even flights over a desert with no suitable airport can be ETOPS flight.

How about KUL-BKI ? Is this an ETOPS route ? Having flown between BKI/KUL so many times, there was only one time that our plane flew over JB and Kuching instead of the usual route over Natuna Island and Pekan.

How about KUL-BKI ? Is this an ETOPS route ? Having flown between BKI/KUL so many times, there was only one time that our plane flew over JB and Kuching instead of the usual route over Natuna Island and Pekan.

Nope its non etops. Lot's of airport along the way within the 1 hour on single engine range, like Capt Radzi mention 420nm for the 738. You've got KCH, BTU, MYY which you can divert to in case things happen.

Nope its non etops. Lot's of airport along the way within the 1 hour on single engine range, like Capt Radzi mention 420nm for the 738. You've got KCH, BTU, MYY which you can divert to in case things happen.

Ah... i see. Thanks for the explanations :drinks:

For MH B738 ops, ETOPS routes are mostly to southern India destinations (MAA, HYD, BLR, BOM) as well as CMB and MLE. Other routes are within 60 minutes of a suitable airport at single engine speed (420 nm). BTW ETOPS doesn't have to be over water flights, even flights over a desert with no suitable airport can be ETOPS flight.

Nice explanation there Capt Radzi. Will there be any IFE onboard the MS- series aircraft?

MAS To Acquire Six Viking Aircraft For RM128 Million

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 27 (Bernama) -- National carrier, Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) has entered into a sale and purchase agreement with Viking Air Ltd to purchase six DHC6-400 Twin Otter aircraft, with a total value of RM128 million.

The first three aircraft are slated to be delivered this year starting from August, while the remaining three will be delivered in 2014 with the last one in the fourth quarter.

In a filing to Bursa Malaysia Wednesday, the national airline said the new aircraft will be leased to MASwings for Rural Air Services (RAS) operations in Sabah and Sarawak.

"The purchase of these new aircraft is necessary as the average age of the current fleet of four DHC6-300 is already 30 years old.

"The new aircraft will replace these old aircraft which are already beyond economical repair," MAS said.

It said with the new fleet, MASwings will be able to provide more reliable and efficient services and modernise its fleet in order to enhance its services for the RAS.

The national carrier said the DHC6-400 aircraft was selected as it has 70 per cent commonality with the current DHC6-300 aircraft.

"The initial capital expenditure, the training cost for pilots and maintenance personnel will be lower translating into a lower total cost of ownership.

"In addition the aircraft is very much suited to the type of airfields that MASwings operates into," MAS said.

With the new aircraft, MAS will reduce its average fleet age to 4.7 years.

Edited by flee

MS SERIES DIFFERENCES

MAX TAXI WEIGHT: 77,227 KG

MAX TAKEOFF WEIGHT: 77,000 KG

THIS IS A NON ETOPS AIRCRAFT

LOW VISIBILITY OPERATIONS (LVO) – CAT II ONLY

ENGINES:

FITTED WITH A CFM56-7B24 – 24K THRUST RATING

ONLY HAS ONE DERATE OPTION – TO1 AT 22K THRUST RATING

OBSERVER SEAT:

ONLY HAS ONE OBSERVER SEAT

NOSE WHEEL TILLER:

ONLY ON CAPTAIN SIDE

WINDOW HEAT:

FLIGHT DECK WINDOW #3 IS NOT HEATED

SAFETY EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT:

NO LIFE RAFT ONBOARD

TRAFFIC COLLISION AVOIDANCE SYSTEM (TCAS)

FITTED WITH TCAS 7.1 – ‘ADJUST VERTICAL SPEED’ REPLACED BY ‘LEVEL OFF, LEVEL OFF’

FMC:

NO FMC COMPUTED V SPEEDS DATA

SATCOM:

TO BE INSTALLED IN KUL

Edited by Radzi

TRAFFIC COLLISION AVOIDANCE SYSTEM (TCAS)

FITTED WITH TCAS 7.1 – ‘ADJUST VERTICAL SPEED’ REPLACED BY ‘LEVEL OFF, LEVEL OFF’

FMC:

NO FMC COMPUTED V SPEEDS DATA

Aren't these items essential? Would have though so? No? :pardon:

Aren't these items essential? Would have though so? No? :pardon:

TCAS has always been mandatory for almost a decade now. This is a new version, slightly different call-outs, probably works better.

FMC-computed V-speeds is only used for backup to the pilot-calculated speeds. There are other ways to cross-check the speeds. The latest x-series and newer L-series (-8H6) have FMC-calculated V-speeds but not the older ones.

Edited by Radzi

FMC-computed V-speeds is only used for backup to the pilot-calculated speeds. There are other ways to cross-check the speeds. The latest x-series and newer L-series (-8H6) have FMC-calculated V-speeds but not the older ones.

I always assumed all FMCs can compute V-speeds. Any reason to omit this feature (does it cost less to have a less capable FMC?)

Updates -
Malindo Air deliveries are now included as they now have Malaysian AOC.

AirAsia Airbus A320-216 MSN 5505 – Reg: 9M-AQU Delivered: 28-02-2013

Malaysia Airlines Airbus A380-841 MSN 094 - Reg: 9M-MNE Delivered: 22-02-2013
Malaysia Airlines Boeing 737-8H6(WL) MSN 40143 - Reg: 9M-MSA Delivered: 19-02-2013
Malaysia Airlines Airbus A330-323X MSN 1388 - Reg: 9M-MTK Delivered: 15-02-2013

Malindo Air Boeing 737-8GP(WL) MSN 38728 - Reg: 9M-LNB Delivered: 19-02-2013

AirAsia Group
MSN 5505 Airbus A320-216 AirAsia Test Reg: F-WWBU First Flight: 06-02-2013 Reg: 9M-AQU Delivered: 28-02-2013

MSN 5468 Airbus A320-216(WL) Thai AirAsia Test Reg: F-WWBH First Flight: 17-01-2013 Reg: HS-BBC Delivered: 01-02-2013

Malaysia Airlines Group
MSN 094 Airbus A380-841 - Test Reg: F-WWAV First Flight: 12-09-2012 Reg: 9M-MNE Delivered: 22-02-2013
MSN 114 Airbus A380-841 - Test Reg: F-WWSG First Flight: 29-10-2012 Reg: 9M-MNF Delivered:

MSN 40142 Boeing 737-8H6(WL) - Reg: 9M-MXO First Flight: 14-01-2013 Delivered: 23-01-2013

MSN 40143 Boeing 737-8H6(WL) - Reg: 9M-MSA First Flight: 01-02-2013 Delivered: 19-02-2013
MSN 40144 Boeing 737-8H6(WL) - Reg: 9M-MSB
MSN 40145 Boeing 737-8H6(WL) - Reg: 9M-MSC

MSN 1388 Airbus A330-323X - Test Reg: F-WWYT First Flight: 30-01-2013 Reg: 9M-MTK Delivered: 15-02-2013
MSN 1395 Airbus A330-323X - Test Reg: F-WWKH First Flight: 19-02-2013 Reg: 9M-MTL Delivered:

Malindo Air
MSN 38728 Boeing 737-8GP(WL) - Reg: 9M-LNB First Flight: 05-02-2013 Delivered: 19-02-2013

Edited by flee

I always assumed all FMCs can compute V-speeds. Any reason to omit this feature (does it cost less to have a less capable FMC?)

FMC is just a set of few computers running simutaneously. Certainly cost factors are taken into account when less features and software incorporated in the system. It is a 'nice to have' feature and certainly non essential as most operators would like to do 'airport analysis' themselves.

:hi: