MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
xtemujin

2013 USAF Thunderbirds Asia Pacific Tour

Thunderbirds release 2013 show schedule, prepare for 60th anniversary

By Tech. Sgt. Jake Richmond U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron Public Affairs | 11 December 2012 Tuesday

12/11/2012 – NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds announced their 2013 show schedule Dec. 11. In its 60th season, the team is slated to perform more than 60 demonstrations in 38 locations, including a six-week tour through the Pacific.

The flying unit, officially known as the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, will again kick off its season by performing the opening flyover for NASCAR’s Daytona 500 on Feb. 24. The remainder of the schedule is as follows:

• Feb 24 — Daytona Beach, FL (Daytona 500 NASCAR Race Fly-by only)
  • Mar 10 — Las Vegas, NV (Kobalt Tools 400 NASCAR Race Fly-by only)
  • Mar 12 — Creech AFB, NV (Appreciation Show)
  • Mar 16, 17 — Luke AFB, AZ
  • Mar 23, 24 — Titusville, FL
  • Mar 26-31 — Down (Easter Break—Mar 31 is Easter Sunday)
  • Apr 20, 21 — Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • May 4, 5 — Joint Base Langley-Eustis, VA
  • May 11, 12 — Martinsburg, WV
  • May 18, 19 — Fairchild AFB, WA
  • May 25, 26 — Wantagh (Jones Beach), NY
  • May 29 — USAF Academy, CO (Academy Graduation)
  • Jun 1, 2 — Rochester, NY
  • Jun 8 — Joint Base Charleston, SC
  • Jun 15, 16 — Ypsilanti, MI
  • Jun 22, 23 — Dayton, OH
  • Jun 29, 30 — Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Jul 6, 7 — Battle Creek, MI
  • Jul 20, 21 — Kalispell, MT
  • Jul 24 — Cheyenne (F. E. Warren AFB), WY
  • Jul 31 — Oshkosh, WI
  • Aug 3, 4 — Milwaukee, WI
  • Aug 10, 11 — Burlington, VT
  • Aug 17, 18 — Chicago, IL
  • Aug 22-Sep 30 — Pacific/Asia Tour (dates and locations TBD)
  • Oct 12, 13 — Rome, GA
  • Oct 19, 20 — Cocoa Beach, FL
  • Oct 26, 27 — Houston, TX
  • Nov 2, 3 — Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, TX
  • Nov 9, 10 — Nellis AFB, NV

“It’s a great time of year for us,” said Lt. Col. Greg Moseley, Thunderbirds commander and lead pilot. “We’re busy with the training season, but when our travel schedule is released, we all feel a renewed excitement about our mission.

“This year will be even more special. It’ll be our 60th anniversary, and we’ll get the amazing opportunity to travel across Asia and tell the U.S.

Air Force story to people who don’t get to hear it very often. That’s what this job is all about — representing Airmen around the world.”

The Thunderbirds date back to 1953, when the team flew the straight-winged F-84G Thunderjets. This year will mark the 31st season the squadron has performed in the F-16 Fighting Falcon, one of the Air Force’s most reliable and combat-proven fighter aircraft.

Assigned to Air Combat Command, the Thunderbirds unit is composed of six demonstration pilots, two support pilots, four additional support officers, three civilians and more than 100 enlisted people serving in more than two dozen Air Force job specialties.

The primary product of that teamwork is a Thunderbirds aerial demonstration, which is approximately 40 maneuvers, varying between formation flying and solo routines. The entire show, including the beginning ground ceremony, lasts about one hour.

A typical air show travel season extends from March to November. In the winter months, the team trains new members and diligently practices the demonstration maneuvers.

To learn more about the Thunderbirds, visit www.afthunderbirds.com, www.facebook.com/afthunderbirds, and www.twitter.com/afthunderbirds.

Edited by xtemujin

Yeah, I was down at RMAF Subang Air Force Base for the 2009 USAF Thunderbirds Asia Pacific tour. Hopefully the USAF Thunderbirds will swing by Malaysia.

I concur about the bad event handling and still remember they only had three Porta Johns that were choked and smelled awful.

Here's my blogpost.

2009 OCT USAF Thunderbirds, RMAF Subang, Malaysia

Edited by xtemujin

I think that Asia Pacific in this case may mean Korea, Japan, Taiwan. With tensions going on in that region, I suspect the US may want to show solidarity with their allies.

But the Thunderbirds will be most welcome in Malaysia, if they decide to come! :)

In an unrelated topic, anything Red Arrows? The last time they were here about 5years ago or so I think. :pardon:

Edited by Azrin A

Japan for sure. My source says that they are deciding on a couple of stops for the Asian Swing.......drum roll (i) Bangkok or ChiangMai and (ii) Beijing or Singapore....

If they do come to Malaysia, I would sincerely hope that the local folks will do a better job than the last in handling ground operations and exhibits.

With our Aviation park currently going through a massive upgrading, local folks should also ensure their level of organizing is on par as well so that spectators would get to enjoy the show in an orderly and comfortable level.

thanks for the head up, thou.

Sign in to follow this