MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Meor

Family trip to Auckland in may 2013, which airlines give the best deals?

Hi guys,

i need help on finding the best cheapest deals for my family trip next year.... the details as follows;

Travel date: 25 may - 4 June 2013 (+/- 3 days)

Depart: KUL (Kuala Lumpur) or Sin (Singapore)

Arrive: AKL (Auckland)

seat class: Economoney hehehehe (Economy)

Passenger: 2 adults, 1 infant

really appreciate all the help i can get tq....

-meor-

If you don't mind a transit, Etihad seems to be offering some attractive fares ex-SIN. S$855 (roughly RM2100) for adult and S$70 (roughly RM180) infant.

The routing will be Singapore - Brisbane with Etihad, and Brisbane - Auckland with Air New Zealand. They even do open jaw for the same price (e.g. SIN-Auckland, Christchurch-SIN).

Booking class is U, non-refundable ticket but change of date is allowed for S$50. Luggage allowance is 30kg! The fare rule does allow free stopover in Brisbane but their website doesn't seem to let you do this.

Etihad has many airline partners including MH, American Airlines, Bangkok Airways so its worth finding out which frequent flyer programme you should bank your miles to...

Try EK ex-SIN as well, i believ they still fly direct between SIN and AKL (or may be via BNE).

You can do EK from KUL-MEL on EK409/408 and transit at MEL onto EK407/406 which is a DXB-MEL-AKL A388 flight. Problem is that this flight arrives MEL at 2am and next flight departs for AKL at 7:30am, may not be suitable for the infant.

TG via BKK or SQ via SIN will be good too.

This is the result by kayak for flights from KUL. http://www.kayak.co.uk/?ispredir=true#/flights/KUL-AKL/2013-05-25/2013-06-04/2adults/children-1L

Total price to pay for 2 adults and 1 infant is RM 7,049 all inclusive. Flying with Emirates KUL-MEL-KUL on the B77W then changing to another Emirates plane A380 for the MEL-AKL-MEL leg. In each journey, you will have about 6 hours of layover in MEL.

And this is the result for flights from SIN. http://www.kayak.co.uk/?ispredir=true#/flights/SIN-AKL/2013-05-25/2013-06-04/2adults/children-1L

Total price to pay for 2 adults and 1 infant is RM 4,616 all inclusive. Flying with Etihad SIN-BNE-SIN then changing to Air New Zealand plane for the BNE-AKL-BNE leg. In each journey, you will have about 1.5 hours of layover in BNE.

In general, flying from SIN is so much cheaper than KUL. Price different is almost RM 3,000.

Wow, that's so cheap! I convinced my friend to fly MAS from KCH to AKL for 4100+, and I THOUGHT THAT WAS CHEAP! Good this he hasn't booked! Thanks guys! BTW, what currency are we looking at? SGD? or USD? Not really stated on the page...does it?

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Meor, cheapest in principle means getting a low fare to either SYD/MEL/OOL, then hopping onto a trans-Tasman flight with equally cheap fares. I've done this before, prior to Jetstar or AirAsiaX flying to NZ. You just need to shop around for the best fare/timing combos. Downside is: takes longer to get to NZ. Upside: you can throw in an Aust side-trip into the plan. Dunno if your baby can take this. :)

My last trip to AKL (last Spring) only cost me RM1.4k (return trip) via SIN on JQ :).

The short transit at Changi was a dealbreaker for me as I'm not a fan of stopping at BNE/SYD/MEL for few hours after an 8 hour flight from KUL/SIN. I would rather stop for 2-3 hours at Changi (closer to home anyway hehe..) and then get on my 10+ hour flight to AKL. KUL-SIN-AKL almost feel like a direct flight to me :rolleyes:

What's your itinerary going to be like in AKL, Meor? It is going to be autumn by then and expect (almost) daily rainfall in North Island.

Meor, cheapest in principle means getting a low fare to either SYD/MEL/OOL, then hopping onto a trans-Tasman flight with equally cheap fares. I've done this before, prior to Jetstar or AirAsiaX flying to NZ. You just need to shop around for the best fare/timing combos. Downside is: takes longer to get to NZ. Upside: you can throw in an Aust side-trip into the plan. Dunno if your baby can take this. :)

You can add DJ into the Trip between Aust. and NZ. Or EK between SYD/ MEL/ BNE and AKL, usually between AUD300-400 per adult. EK flies to CHC from SYD too. So if you are heading down South, that can be another option.

SIN-AKL direct with JQ can be another option but just hope the timing is not horrifying.

or LAN Chile SYD-AKL ;)

Hehe.. Good one, how can I forget this, I have flown this route myself! Does Aerolinas Argentina still fly SYD-AKL?

Upon checking with skyscanner ex-KUL Jetsstar is the cheapest, u can get below RM6000 with a short stopover in SIN. While ex-SIN Etihad is the man with RM4600 a stop in BNE.

H C Chai, etihad one of the choice for pricing less than RM5k we dont mind for 1 stop but direct flight better.

If you don't mind a transit, Etihad seems to be offering some attractive fares ex-SIN. S$855 (roughly RM2100) for adult and S$70 (roughly RM180) infant.

The routing will be Singapore - Brisbane with Etihad, and Brisbane - Auckland with Air New Zealand. They even do open jaw for the same price (e.g. SIN-Auckland, Christchurch-SIN).

Booking class is U, non-refundable ticket but change of date is allowed for S$50. Luggage allowance is 30kg! The fare rule does allow free stopover in Brisbane but their website doesn't seem to let you do this.

Etihad has many airline partners including MH, American Airlines, Bangkok Airways so its worth finding out which frequent flyer programme you should bank your miles to...

H C Chai, etihad one of the choice for pricing less than RM5k we dont mind for 1 stop but direct flight better.

Have a look at Jetstar. They do have direct Singapore - Auckland service. Prices aren't too bad on the days you want to travel, about RM 5k even when you include the add-ons such as meals and check in luggage.

I'm not a LCC fan myself, but I do have friends who are willing to pay a bit more just to travel direct even with a LCC. :D

It may be worth checking how it's like flying with infant on Jetstar. e.g. can you get a bulkhead seat with infant bassinet. You don't really want your baby to sit on your lap for 11+ hours....

Edited by H C Chai

Previously Jetstar also advertise KUL - CHC with stopover in SIN.

Previously Jetstar also advertise KUL - CHC with stopover in SIN.

Don't think they offer CHC direct to SIN anymore... as CHC is in a bit of a sad state at the moment.

Flight between KUL/SIN to AKL should be 10.5 or 11.5 hours (depending on the direction you are travelling). HKG-AKL takes about 11-11.5 hrs as well.

From what I learnt from my bookings with Jetstar before... you do pay quite a bit more for infant and child travel compared to Full Service Carriers, which is another thing that put me off about long haul travel with LCC.

Booked a SQ ticket SIN/AKL/SIN for 3 adults and a baby for next months travel,costed RM12,000.

When enquired later for a date change,it costs USD20 but no seats available till february next year unless we are willing to pay S$1200 per pax

extra, then yes can travel even in December!

as my sister suddenly got Chix pox, so I asked them if we can split her ticket to another date and let the other 2 travel. Answer sure can,pay S$528 !

What about if we cancel it? sure can but you will just get back your taxes S$300.

On the way back they apologised and said they will not be able to provide a bassinet for the baby and it is a full flight.!

On the way back they apologised and said they will not be able to provide a bassinet for the baby and it is a full flight.!

Perhaps you can go to the manage booking page and book your seats behind a gallery/ bulkhead? December is always a peak/crazy season as it is around Christmas/ New Year festive season in both Aust/NZ, which I usually would try to avoid.

My last trip to AKL (last Spring) only cost me RM1.4k (return trip) via SIN on JQ :).

The short transit at Changi was a dealbreaker for me as I'm not a fan of stopping at BNE/SYD/MEL for few hours after an 8 hour flight from KUL/SIN. I would rather stop for 2-3 hours at Changi (closer to home anyway hehe..) and then get on my 10+ hour flight to AKL. KUL-SIN-AKL almost feel like a direct flight to me :rolleyes:

What's your itinerary going to be like in AKL, Meor? It is going to be autumn by then and expect (almost) daily rainfall in North Island.

Super cheap deal you got there ridhwan, my wife doing the itinerary. we maybe going to the south island as well as my sister inlaws said not much to see in north island.

Due to enrich promotions, we might ended up using our enrich points to go for Holidays!. I do have 56, 000 points and my wife 17,000 points. so we just need to purchase infant ticket.

The best offer for AKL in the current WoR is selling for 15,000 Enrich miles one way KUL-AKL in Economy class. Therefore, you could redeem 45,000 miles from your account for your return journey plus a one way journey for your wife. The other 15,000 has to come from your wife's account for the other portion of her one way journey.

Interestingly, you can not purchase the intended ticket for your infant from MH's website as the website and many other airlines' websites as a matter of fact are not designed to accept a booking of an infant travelling alone.

The best offer for AKL in the current WoR is selling for 15,000 Enrich miles one way KUL-AKL in Economy class. Therefore, you could redeem 45,000 miles from your account for your return journey plus a one way journey for your wife. The other 15,000 has to come from your wife's account for the other portion of her one way journey.

Interestingly, you can not purchase the intended ticket for your infant from MH's website as the website and many other airlines' websites as a matter of fact are not designed to accept a booking of an infant travelling alone.

hehehehe no such thing infant traveling alone..... will purchase the tickets at mas office...

I've heard that air tickets issued in NZ are YQ free (like Brazil). Does that mean you if you book the return trip as two one ways, you could avoid paying the YQ for the return sector?

Not sure if this applies to Enrich redemption - worth checking as YQ is RM550 each way!

Excellent point raised up! However, MH does not allow for the YQ charges to be omitted from its T&C.

This is the exhibit for 1 adult:

Redeem return ticket KUL-AKL-KUL:

Total miles required: 30,000

Surcharges: RM 1,317.00

Code Description Amount MY Malaysia: Passenger Service Charge MYR 65.00 each IA New Zealand: Passenger Security Charge MYR 24.00 each KK KK MYR 90.00 each YQ Fuel and Insurance surcharge MYR 1138.00 each

Redeem 2 one way ticket (KUL-AKL then AKL-KUL separately):

Total miles required: 15,000 + 15,000 = 30,000

Surcharges: RM 679.00 + NZD 246.95 (RM 618.26) = RM 1,297.26

Surcharge for KUL-AKL:

Code Description Amount MY Malaysia: Passenger Service Charge MYR 65.00 each KK KK MYR 45.00 each YQ Fuel and Insurance surcharge

MYR 569.00 each

Surcharges for AKL-KUL:

Code Description Amount IA New Zealand: Passenger Security Charge NZD 9.02 each KK KK NZD 17.43 each YQ Fuel and Insurance surcharge NZD 218.00 each YR Admin Surcharge NZD 2.50 each

Separating the booking does resulting in savings of RM 19.74 anyway.

Sign in to follow this