MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia plans to be the first choice for travellers

Beware , flying air Asia has many repercussions for me ..at least ... Of which the biggest is the many hours of wasted time healing the trauma of flying it to begin with .

Yes, i find travelling with D7 and AK often involve horrible flight hours which means either departing pissed early in the morning or arriving late nights. Or involves spending long hours transiting before connecting to different flights/ airlines. Doesn't work especially when you have family and kids traveling. I reckon if the price of full service carrier is close to or near the level of LCC, people will ditch LCC for full service carrier.

I guess if everything is measured by dollar sign, then a lot of people who drives BMW, Merc and carrying iPhones rather than Samsung phones must be the silly bunch who do not know what the value for money is then. :). Good luck in telling them that.

Well I like traveling on AK so that I can take other airlines from KUL. :p

This is too generalised as a statement. I hope I am a privileged few but I am not. Thee are times that EK are cheaper or similar in price compared to D7, who would you rather fly with?

It is unfortunately that EK is not a competitor to AK or many of D7 routes.

AK is generally ok and good for short travels below 2 hrs and their fares are generally cheaper than FSC and even if like MH having promo its still have the same conditions like no refund n itinerary change. Even for frequency llike KUL-SIN it have the best with 13 daily flights and even to East malaysia. The only gripe is the smallish n crowded LCCT which will be a thing of the past once KLIA2 opens next May withits aerobridges. AK isstill the best for short travelswithout check-in baggage and its automated check-in and auto-print ticketing makes it a breeze even compared to FSC.

I guess if everything is measured by dollar sign, then a lot of people who drives BMW, Merc and carrying iPhones rather than Samsung phones must be the silly bunch who do not know what the value for money is then. :). Good luck in telling them that.

In Malaysia, combined sales of BMW and Merc is less than 10% cars sold, value for money is different to these people than stoopid majority of people.

Yes, i find travelling with D7 and AK often involve horrible flight hours which means either departing pissed early in the morning or arriving late nights. Or involves spending long hours transiting before connecting to different flights/ airlines. Doesn't work especially when you have family and kids traveling. I reckon if the price of full service carrier is close to or near the level of LCC, people will ditch LCC for full service carrier.

On KUL-CMB

MH179 KUL-CMB 2305/2359hr

MH178 CMB-KUL 0100/0710hr

AK1267 KUL-CMB 1100/1200

AK1268 CMB-KUL 1255-1910

Wonder which airline smart people will choose?

We always have this kind of debate whenever the topic of AirAsia comes up.

Those who are used to the convenience of FSCs will find it hard to adapt to the methods travellers use to snag low cost fares from AirAsia. They are not prepared to suffer inconveniences like:

1. Booking 6-9 months ahead and paying for it in advance
  2. Changing travel dates to suit the availability of cheap sale tickets
  3. Paying extra for everything
  4. Cramped seats
  5. Enduring the congestion at LCCT
  6. Bad transit facilities - even for those who booked fly through tickets
  7. No luxury airport lounges
  8. No aerobridges at many airports
  9. Flight retiming
  10. Bad customer service

However, for many, if they do not fly AirAsia or other LCCs, they cannot afford to fly at all. These people are those who will know when cheap fares are available.

Then there is another lot who depend on others to make the travel arrangements. They don't mind flying whatever airline at whatever the ticket prices are.

There are more kinds of travellers in the world. So the market is big enough to accommodate all these people.

For me, I tend not to fly AirAsia if the savings is less than 40%. So that rules them out if I want to book a ticket now to fly in 5 days' time. Flight timing is also important but it really depends on the destination - e.g. I am OK with D7's arrival time at HND but PEK is a no no.

Ultimately, AirAsia will need to do a lot if it wants to be the No 1 choice amongst travellers. That is their target for their next 10 years. So they have plenty of time to work towards that vision.

We always have this kind of debate whenever the topic of AirAsia comes up.

Those who are used to the convenience of FSCs will find it hard to adapt to the methods travellers use to snag low cost fares from AirAsia. They are not prepared to suffer inconveniences like:

4. Cramped seats
  9. Flight retiming
  10. Bad customer service

However, for many, if they do not fly AirAsia or other LCCs, they cannot afford to fly at all. These people are those who will know when cheap fares are available.

Then there is another lot who depend on others to make the travel arrangements. They don't mind flying whatever airline at whatever the ticket prices are.

There are more kinds of travellers in the world. So the market is big enough to accommodate all these people.

For me, I tend not to fly AirAsia if the savings is less than 40%. So that rules them out if I want to book a ticket now to fly in 5 days' time. Flight timing is also important but it really depends on the destination - e.g. I am OK with D7's arrival time at HND but PEK is a no no.

Ultimately, AirAsia will need to do a lot if it wants to be the No 1 choice amongst travellers. That is their target for their next 10 years. So they have plenty of time to work towards that vision.

Ditto + Spot on flee.. agree with you totally.. no point debating between the "stoopid" and "smart" travellers... they are just different types of travellers.. and the same is for me.. I fly with AK/D7 whenever I know I am prepared to book 6/9 months in advance and are prepared to sacrifice the time/sleep just to try and book those crazy Promo fares early in the morning just so I can super cheap fares.. and it isn't a big deal for me to not have aerobridges or going to the cramped and packed LCCT or not have any lounges for the flights.. as long as it gets me to where I want to be at a cheap price then it is fine. :)

Ditto + Spot on flee.. agree with you totally.. no point debating between the "stoopid" and "smart" travellers... they are just different types of travellers.. and the same is for me.. I fly with AK/D7 whenever I know I am prepared to book 6/9 months in advance and are prepared to sacrifice the time/sleep just to try and book those crazy Promo fares early in the morning just so I can super cheap fares.. and it isn't a big deal for me to not have aerobridges or going to the cramped and packed LCCT or not have any lounges for the flights.. as long as it gets me to where I want to be at a cheap price then it is fine. :)

Hence, passengers who want to fly AK should alter their expectations.

Every time my friends start to complain about my AK flights, I feel like giving them a slap :D

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Hence, passengers who want to fly AK should alter their expectations.

Every time my friends start to complain about my AK flights, I feel like giving them a slap :D

Yes, the Aussies love Airasia because they can go abroad for their holidays for the price of a domestic air ticket on Aussie airlines. They almost always dominate the rush for tickets when D7 has a sale!

How many months ago did you book that? Try book it closer t the time of travel and outside of sales period.

I can virtually travel any time I wish, so I just book whenever a sale comes along, could be a mth before, could be 8mths before, could be anytime.

Well I just woke up hoping to get a ticket for vacation for myself next year, and I didn't get any. Maybe I am just too bored with what's on offer. :D

Did a quick count, and I've been to 53 destinations out of the 70 offered by AK/D7. I'm getting bored, Australia is getting boring too. Now if only D7 flies to Sapporo, I can do weekends there. :)

It is unfortunately that EK is not a competitor to AK or many of D7 routes.

Not too sure about ex-Malaysia fares, but for ex-Australia fares. Often EK offers hard to resist fare which sometimes is even lower or on par with D7. I guess the choice is pretty clear. :)

Did a quick count, and I've been to 53 destinations out of the 70 offered by AK/D7. I'm getting bored, Australia is getting boring too. Now if only D7 flies to Sapporo, I can do weekends there. :)

I think your wish may be granted next year - there are big plans for D7's expansion to coincide with the opening of KLIA2.

As long as they cost cheapest, then yes they'll be my first choice.

Definitely, my kid went to a school on the east coast for 5 years, 8hrs drive away. He flies back to KL for weekends almost every 3-4 weeks or so, for 5 friggin' years, at about RM100-200 return. AK was god-send, and later on FY. :)

Not too sure about ex-Malaysia fares, but for ex-Australia fares. Often EK offers hard to resist fare which sometimes is even lower or on par with D7. I guess the choice is pretty clear. :)

I picked up several good EK and QR tix out of KUL. RM1300 return on QR KUL/OSL was one. Then EK to LED. Next Feb, with EK to IST. Am being smart for a change. :)

This year so far I spent 3 weekends in Aust, at RM600 a pop with D7. Dang, how stoopid of me! :)

No. Smart. You did research and did not automatically assume that D7 was the cheapest.

On KUL-CMB

MH179 KUL-CMB 2305/2359hr

MH178 CMB-KUL 0100/0710hr

AK1267 KUL-CMB 1100/1200

AK1268 CMB-KUL 1255-1910

Wonder which airline smart people will choose?

I guess it goes by routes, similarly I can point out:

D7522 KUL-HND 14:40 - 22:30

D7523 HND-KUL 23:45 - 06:30

MH88 KUL-NRT 23:35 - 07:15

MH89 NRT-KUL 10:30 - 1705

If the time and price is right and less than 4 hours of flight which fits my criteria, I will fly with AK. If the price is similar to LCC and time is not to bad, I will fly with FSC.

No. Smart. You did research and did not automatically assume that D7 was the cheapest.

Where is the like button? Hmm.. "LIKE" :)

If I can really come across cheap fare like RM600 return to Australia, then I guess it is a no-brainer. More than often there are things that beyond my control which i could not make up my mind just like that. By the time I searched the flights, AK/D7 is not the cheapest. When I found out an FSC costs cheaper or similar to the price I have to pay for D7. Of course, I would ditch D7/AK.

Edited by S V Choong

4. Cramped seats
  9. Flight retiming
  10. Bad customer service

Interesting points, from my experience (flying AK Group last 7yrs or so):

1. no issue, since i can travel virtually any time. only real loss if i die first.

2. okay, burnt a couple of tix for no-shows.

3. okay, manageable.

4. okay, not big-size, so all comfy.

5. no prob. arrive just-in-time, drop bags, go to departure to board right away.

6. no experience.

7. no issue, see #5 above.

8. no prob, unless a thunderstorm in progress. can gawk at planes too. but actually most have aerobridges.

9. nothing serious in years of travel with AK/D7.

10. so far had good CS experience, problems all solved.

So to me as far as LCC goes, I'm a happypuppy.

As for FSC, my faves are EK, QR and CX.

In the 80s/90s when I was a corporate guy, the norm was Biz/First on FSC with frequent journeys to Europe & North America, but then somebody else was paying for it. Do I miss the lounges, well, not really. Now I have my own business, and all the time to travel as a backpacker. :)

===

Interesting points, from my experience (flying AK Group last 7yrs or so):

1. no issue, since i can travel virtually any time. only real loss if i die first.

2. okay, burnt a couple of tix for no-shows.

3. okay, manageable.

4. okay, not big-size, so all comfy.

5. no prob. arrive just-in-time, drop bags, go to departure to board right away.

6. no experience.

7. no issue, see #5 above.

8. no prob, unless a thunderstorm in progress. can gawk at planes too. but actually most have aerobridges.

9. nothing serious in years of travel with AK/D7.

10. so far had good CS experience, problems all solved.

So to me as far as LCC goes, I'm a happypuppy.

As for FSC, my faves are EK, QR and CX.

In the 80s/90s when I was a corporate guy, the norm was Biz/First on FSC with frequent journeys to Europe & North America, but then somebody else was paying for it. Do I miss the lounges, well, not really. Now I have my own business, and all the time to travel as a backpacker. :)

===

Naim~ I am really curious.. how are you able to travel so much in such short time? like almost monthly? I guess you must be rich :) So envious of you~ hahaha

JingKai, a bloke who travels with AK/D7 can't be rich! But time, I do have. :)

But doc, time is precious, priceless even, ...... which translates to immeasurable wealth :p

Certainly the value of those travel adventures, even just those you have so generously shared with us here, there is much richness there already :)

Edited by BC Tam

Certainly the value of those travel adventures, even just those you have so generously shared with us here, there is much richness there already :)

Hahaha, thanks, now adventure starts as soon as I check in -- need to cram everything into a friggin' 7kb cabin bag!

... now adventure starts as soon as I check in -- need to cram everything into a friggin' 7kb cabin bag!

No no no, have you not heard from other thread yet ?

They are putting the 'one piece only, 7kg max' rule on back burner due to "so much competition in the region"

You just gotta love it when dog bites dog rule applies :D

Where is the like button? Hmm.. "LIKE" :)

If I can really come across cheap fare like RM600 return to Australia, then I guess it is a no-brainer. More than often there are things that beyond my control which i could not make up my mind just like that. By the time I searched the flights, AK/D7 is not the cheapest. When I found out an FSC costs cheaper or similar to the price I have to pay for D7. Of course, I would ditch D7/AK.

My point exactly. I would never ever fly AK again but I would consider D7 if the price were significantly cheaper or offered good value. For example, I have decided to fly D7 again in Jan because I could get Premium seats for about $1500 during peak holiday travel time. If they were charging $2000, then I wouldn't consider it at all. $1500 would be my ceiling for how much I'd pay on D7 to travel in Premium between SYD and KUL though. MH is charging almost $1300 for flights on the same days.

Edited by Josh T

My point exactly. I would never ever fly AK again but I would consider D7 if the price were significantly cheaper or offered good value. For example, I have decided to fly D7 again in Jan because I could get Premium seats for about $1500 during peak holiday travel time. If they were charging $2000, then I wouldn't consider it at all. $1500 would be my ceiling for how much I'd pay on D7 to travel in Premium between SYD and KUL though. MH is charging almost $1300 for flights on the same days.

Met some people insist on KUL-BKK-VTE (by TG) or even KUL-SGN-PNH-VTE (by MH and VN) rather than non-stop KUL-VTE by AK.

To each, his or her own. Its your money, you choose who you want to and of course, can fly with.

+1 :D

Sign in to follow this