MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KC Sim

Malaysian LCCs - FLEET

As the number of LCCs based in Malaysia grows, I thought it might be helpful to have one discussion to deposit fleet status information here. Nailing down the fleet lists of each LCC becomes challenging as deliveries are coming in fast and furious, especially at AirAsia.

As we have different members here linked to different LCCs, perhaps each could post the fleet status (including those already in fleet and those still on order) as of 1 November 2012 for the following carriers:

- AirAsia

- AirAsia X

- Firefly

- MASwings

- Malindo Air (two B739ERs in March 2013 with two more each in April and May 2013)

With the LCC scene looking so vibrant, I look forward to many great contributions here from Mwings members. Happy posting.

KC Sim

According to Malaysia Airlines inflight magazine, Going Places, MASwings has 4 DHC-6 Twin Otter aircrafts.

The rego and names of the ten MASwings ATR72-500 aircratfs are as follows (not in the magazine):

9M-MWA "Kuching"

9M-MWB "Kinabalu"

9M-MWC "Mulu"

9M-MWD "Sandakan"

9M-MWE "Mukah"

9M-MWF "Miri"

9M-MWG "Sipadan"

9M-MWH "Layang Layang"

9M-MWI "Bario"

9M-MWJ "Libaran"

Deliveries to Malaysia Airlines Group and AirAsia Group are being tracked at this http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17326.

Firefly Airlines currently has 12 ATR 72-212A in operation. Registration from 9M-FYA to 9M-FYL.

It also has one B737-430 9M-FZA in charter operation to Nanning and Christmas Island. Another B747-430 9M-FZB appears to be in storage.

I wonder what rego Malindo will utilise.. 9M-M is out of question.. 9M-N for NADI? Already got NAA by you know who...

Wow, THANKS for the quick response.

With all the response, that leave only the fleet of AirAsia X to be filled ... how many A330-300 does it have now and how many are on order? Are all the A340-300s gone already (miss these)?

I too wonder how Berjaya Air is classified but eventually decided it isn't an LCC because you can't just go to the website to book its flight which are anything but cheap (at least out of Singapore) ... and you don't get to purchase a meal onboard. There are just no meals available (again, at least this is the case on the Singapore-Redang Island flight I took). But funnily enough, it operated from Changi Airport's Budget Terminal until this was closed recently.

KC Sim

It also has one B737-430 9M-FZA in charter operation to Nanning and Christmas Island. Another B747-430 9M-FZB appears to be in storage.

They are using both, alternately. Both can be seen most of the time at the remote apron on KUL.

Wow, THANKS for the quick response.

With all the response, that leave only the fleet of AirAsia X to be filled ... how many A330-300 does it have now and how many are on order? Are all the A340-300s gone already (miss these)?

I too wonder how Berjaya Air is classified but eventually decided it isn't an LCC because you can't just go to the website to book its flight which are anything but cheap (at least out of Singapore) ... and you don't get to purchase a meal onboard. There are just no meals available (again, at least this is the case on the Singapore-Redang Island flight I took). But funnily enough, it operated from Changi Airport's Budget Terminal until this was closed recently.

KC Sim

AirAsia X

In Operation:

A330-343X and A330-301- 9

Rolls Royce Trent 700 powered: 9M-XXA to 9M-XXH [8]

General Electric CF6 powered: 9M-XAA [1]

Both A340-313X (9M-XAB and 9M-XAC) are still with AirAsia X devoid of any colours, however they are now grounded for charter or lease purposes only. Previously each done leasing to Air Algerie and Saudi Arabian Airlines respectively.

Not taken up:

A330-202- 3

General Electric CF6 powered: [3]

They were supposed to take delivery of the three A330-202 for European route this year, however two of the order has been cancelled and one was transferred to A330-343X. If those THREE A330-202s were to be delivered, the rego will go 9M-XXI till 9M-XXK.

They are using both, alternately. Both can be seen most of the time at the remote apron on KUL.

Okies, sorry for misinformation.

Edited by JuliusWong

I don't think MASWings & Firefly can be considered LCC.

Berjaya air is not an LCC.. Everytime I flew them I had a choice of snacks and a drink. Great service, much like firefly. I prefer both of them to AK.

I don't think that MASwings is an LCC: they serve tetra-pack milo and snacks, plus have the in-flight entertainment on, albeit adverts and tourism promos. Firefly also serves snacks. Good service on both.