MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jahur

AirAsia CABIN Baggage Rules

LOL.

It seems AK has revamped some of their policy regarding onboard luggage.

http://www.airasia.c...80&locale=en_GB

Has the number of pieces allowed changed?

Yes. You are only allowed ONE piece if cabin baggage weighing no more than 7kg. A laptop or small musical instrument which meets our weight and size restrictions now accounts as ONE piece.

Can I pay extra to bring more items / weight on board?

No. For cabin safety and speedy embarkation and disembarkation we will not allow more than our mentioned cabin baggage policy.

Can I bring my laptop bag onboard in addition to my main piece of cabin baggage?

No, the laptop is considered as ONE piece and this would mean you are carrying TWO pieces. Either the laptop is packed to the cabin baggage and meets our weight restriction or it is the only bag carried on board.

:nea:

So are Laptop and Camera bags counted as separate pieces?

EASYJET and RYAN have been implementing this loooooong ago!

Stop giving them ideas. Now, they just might! hahaha

i believe in the near future, they just might...they will charge a small amount for rm5, then later rm15....and so on...

This is utter crap because they allow duty free bags

True test of how strictly they intend to enforce the one piece rule - say my carry on is at full capacity and I fancy a bit of stuff from on board sales cart (= ancilliary revenue :)), will I still be allowed the purchase ? :D

Be fair though, this one piece of max 7kg hand baggage rule I believe is more or less universal across all carriers (at least in cattle class)

Rule is there, just interpreted and enforced to different degrees

And if your luck has it and you are to encounter certain 'overzealous' pegawais (officers) at MKZ, you're in for it even if your item fits dimensions and weight spec's :D - even though airline (FY in our case) said it's ok :)

Edited by BC Tam

Yes - the crew should be strict and ensure compliance. Was on a Firefly flight recent thed10t sitting next to me had a hand luggage that was so big that I cannot even get to my seat and he just refused to budge since his bag cannot fit into the overhead compartment. All the crew did was asked me to sit anywhere since the flight was no full. If this happened in Aussie land, I could have had him offloaded from the flight!

LOL.

EASYJET and RYAN have been implementing this loooooong ago!

Haha, Europe is one step of Asia, in fact we are now on the next phase of hand luggage evolution. Wizzair, one of the largest LCC that serves Eastern Europe, has already come up with a brilliant idea of charging passengers hand carry that doesn't fit into the space under the seat in front of you. :D

Where is the romance of travel?!!

Edited by H C Chai

It's gone the moment people want cheap fares. Even in America the legacies are becoming like the LCC, charging for checked baggage, food etc.

I guess you can't have the cake & eat it too.

No issue, 'travel' starts the moment the flight ends. ;)

911 killed it as well as all those innocently murdered that fateful morning...

I was lucky enough to experience air travel earlier on and it was really fun, especially on aircraft like Concorde. Now, we have to endure a long series of security checks and scans going in and coming out of the airports.

As doc said, travel now starts when you leave the airport! :)

http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/267275?tid=1

Just saw this latest news on a chinese newspaper, it states that the new cabin baggage rules was 'accidentally' posted when they were testing the new webpage few days ago, and still haven't get the approval of the Air Asia management...which means the new rules does not exist yet and passengers still can carry one piece of hand luggage and a laptop bag to board the aircraft....what do you think? :)

Hot hot hot from the AK Gossip Division! This was intercepted by one of my spies from the AirAsia ASEAN HQ in Jakarta. Thanks a bunch, you know who you are.

Sent: Monday, 5 November, 2012 3:32 PM

Subject: One hand luggage policy

Importance: High

Dear AllStars,

The one hand luggage policy is postponed until further notice.

Kathleen and I agree that this is not the right time especially since we have so much competition in the region.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

Zaman Ahmad

Customer Experience and Technology

AirAsia ASEAN

So guys, it's case closed for the time being.

..... the new cabin baggage rules was 'accidentally' posted when they were testing the new webpage few days ago, and still haven't get the approval of the Air Asia management...which means the new rules does not exist yet and passengers still can carry one piece of hand luggage and a laptop bag to board the aircraft....what do you think? :)

I think if it's true, then the spin machine PR Department at AK group is worth every penny it costs plus some more :D

Tan Sri Red One is certainly one lucky fella to have that bunch behind him ........ :)

Yes, someone had to do it first. Then starts charging for everything under the sun. I thought FY did offer 0 fare with better deals for passengers.

This can't be a monopoly game.

I never realized that laptop bag can be brought separately. As far as I am concerned, 1 bag means 1 bag. This is how it is with most European airlines...

Edited by Azman MN

No. Everywhere in the world, you can bring one carry-on bag and one personal item. That personal item can be laptop bag, handbag, small back-pack... It's just AK trying to squeeze more money out of passengers.

Edited by Josh T

It has got more to do with airport authority, esp in LHR, overzealous personnel strictly enforcing the one piece rule, so much so that even a small lady's handbag was asked to be stuff into rollaway, no matter which airline you are in! Even one extra kg was not allowed, so that have to use the usual ploy of wearing off the extra weight, like tying jacket to waist, etc. Saw a couple using all means to get through, finally succeeded at third attempt, which was farcical because they didn't shed off an ounce of stuff, just redistributed the extra weigh to the body.

That's why I avoid LHR as much as possible.

Edited by V Wong

It has got more to do with airport authority, esp in LHR, overzealous personnel strictly enforcing the one piece rule, so much so that even a small lady's handbag was asked to be stuff into rollaway, no matter which airline you are in! Even one extra kg was not allowed, so that have to use the usual ploy of wearing off the extra weight, like tying jacket to waist, etc. Saw a couple using all means to get through, finally succeeded at third attempt, which was farcical because they didn't shed off an ounce of stuff, just redistributed the extra weigh to the body.

And yet they don't restrict number of duty free items/bags can carry onboard. Personally, believe on bag rule is implemented for the benefits of duty free shops.

If you are flying British Airways in Economy you are allowed 1 piece of cabin bag plus a small brief case or laptop bag.

It has been like this for a while, so I don't think its LHR fault...

That's an extra 3kg compared to AK.

With Easyjet your hand carry can be as heavy as you like, as long as you can store it on the overhead bins without any help. They are strict with size but not the weight.

Edited by H C Chai

Sign in to follow this