MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jahur

AirAsia CABIN Baggage Rules

It seems AK has revamped some of their policy regarding onboard luggage.

http://www.airasia.c...80&locale=en_GB

Has the number of pieces allowed changed?

Yes. You are only allowed ONE piece if cabin baggage weighing no more than 7kg. A laptop or small musical instrument which meets our weight and size restrictions now accounts as ONE piece.

Can I pay extra to bring more items / weight on board?

No. For cabin safety and speedy embarkation and disembarkation we will not allow more than our mentioned cabin baggage policy.

Can I bring my laptop bag onboard in addition to my main piece of cabin baggage?

No, the laptop is considered as ONE piece and this would mean you are carrying TWO pieces. Either the laptop is packed to the cabin baggage and meets our weight restriction or it is the only bag carried on board.

:nea:

So are Laptop and Camera bags counted as separate pieces?

Inevitable. First encountered policy like this with Ryanair in '09. Everything must be stuffed into 1 piece of 7kg bag.

Who brings their laptop on vacation?

Many ppl, for internet, communication, pix/videos storage, etc. Invaluable travel tool.

Can I hang my DLSR on my neck with a 100-400mm lens and leave other stuff inside my bad, and my bag weigh less than 7kg?

Inevitable. First encountered policy like this with Ryanair in '09. Everything must be stuffed into 1 piece of 7kg bag.

I'm surprised AK included weight. Even Ryanair only does size restrictions at least when I last flew them early this year.

My backpack easily weights more than 7kg, with laptop (ancient), cams and lenses alone.

Can I hang my DLSR on my neck with a 100-400mm lens and leave other stuff inside my bad, and my bag weigh less than 7kg?

Most probably you can.

I'm surprised AK included weight. Even Ryanair only does size restrictions at least when I last flew them early this year.

My backpack easily weights more than 7kg, with laptop (ancient), cams and lenses alone.

AK and all of its subsidiary has a very strict hand carry policy of 7kg. They even have a analog weighing machine and measurement stand at all stations prior to you going into waiting lounge. Nowadays I fly with MH and BI, not on AK anymore.

Most probably you can.

Well, time to wear your equipment.

67eb9ed4b9f1ffbf9efeda40161a8b31_large.jpg

This ruling has to come sometime. Last flight I took from Lombok, many pax were carrying multiple small plastic bags (the kind you get from shopping in small supermarkets). Looks like they had to clamp down on the abuse of hand luggage to make it easier for the cabin crew to enforce.

Yes, if you don't like the rules, fly with other airlines that don't have such strict hand luggage rules. If they find that these new rules affect their bookings, they will soon revise them again...

I hv no prob, thats why I carry a sub-1kg laptop and 500g NEX cam for my travels. Even now I hardly bust the 7kg limit. :)

Sure about this? In 2009, Ryanair was particular about one 7kg bag, but Easyjet was fussy about dimensions, they didn't care the weight.

At least they're not CHARGING hand luggages!

for student onboard need to bring laptop...

Nerdy it may be, time to resurrect my Scottevest jacket from the cupboard if I fly AK. I could stuff almost everything into it.. - ipad, kindle, camera, water bottle, etc.. except maybe roast goose from Hong Kong.. IF I do fly AK!

Edited by V Wong

..... except maybe roast goose from Hong Kong.. IF I do fly AK!

Alternative storage could be one's stomach perhaps ?! :p

Surely that cannot be considered carry on baggage by any (sane) stretch of imagination :)

Alternative storage could be one's stomach perhaps ?! :p

Surely that cannot be considered carry on baggage by any (sane) stretch of imagination :)

Regurgitation won't work.

No equivalent for male, unfortunately, unless you have a baby or on crutches...

That's not very fair, eh?

I do!

A small backpack should be the male equivalent of the woman's handbag in my opinion.

Anyway, this new policy is another reason why I'm never going to book another AK flight.

It is such a pain to take out an ipad/laptop/earphone from a rollaway compared to laptop bag/manbag while on board.

From an establishment that purportedly always listen to its customers and champions low cost travel, complaint enough and the decision may be revoked... :p

Edited by V Wong

Sign in to follow this