MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Malaysia Airlines moves closer to widebody order

Adrian Schofield

Oct 21, 2018

MAB is believed to be considering a range of aircraft including Airbus A350s and Boeing 787s. The carrier previously signed an MOU with Boeing for 787s, but the MOU lapsed in June.

http://m.atwonline.com/aircraft-engines/malaysia-airlines-moves-closer-widebody-order

What does the lapse of MOU involved? Forfeiture of bond or deposit?

What does the lapse of MOU involved? Forfeiture of bond or deposit?

More like the signed paperwork goes to shredder.

Deposit is only paid when firm order is placed and OEM assigned production slots and parts for buyer.

Never thought of this...
Twice a week, A330-300

source : https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/news-article/2018/malaysia-airlines-to-madinah.html

Malaysia Airlines expands service to Madinah

KLIA, 16 October 2018- Malaysia Airlines will be expanding its global network into Saudi Arabia with the first direct commercial service to Madinah from Kuala Lumpur, on 29 October 2018.

This new seasonal service is expected to connect Umrah pilgrims directly into Madinah which is currently served by its charter services for travel up until 26 March 2019. Currently the airline operates four times weekly scheduled services to Jeddah.

The airline will operate two flights per week, every Mondays and Tuesdays utilizing the airline’s Airbus 330-300 wide-body aircraft with 290 seats, comprising of 27 seats in Business Class and 263 seats in Economy Class.

Starting from now customers can start to make their booking via our website at www.malaysiaairlines.com, with all-inclusive return fares from as low as RM2,892 on Economy Class and from as low as RM5,825 on Business Class.

Malaysia Airlines’ Group Chief Executive Officer, Izham Ismail, said, “We are pleased to expand our service into Madinah to offer Umrah pilgrims with direct connectivity and flexible flight options of twice weekly service between the two cities. The KL-Madinah route is a seasonal scheduled service in which this service will complement the airline’s Umrah charter operations. This service provides a convenient option to pilgrims who wish to travel directly into Madinah in their journey to pilgrimage.”

“We look forward to welcoming our guests onboard Malaysia Airlines to experience Malaysian Hospitality with superior inflight features including lie flat seats on business class and a variety of complimentary food incorporating the elements of best of Malaysia aimed at enhancing our passenger’s travel experience. Passengers will also be entitled to baggage allowances of 40kg on Business Class and 30kg on Economy Class without any additional charges,” he added.

Good for the crew, if they got to stay until the next flight.

MAB sees stable performance amidst challenging conditions

• Tough competition, rising fuel costs and unfavourable currency conditions continue
  • Quarter 3 impacted by crew shortage
  • RASK remained steady, increasing 1.4% YoY
  • Passenger Load Factors saw healthy increase at 80.5%
  • On-time performance continues to improve at 74.9% up 8% YoY
  • Customer satisfaction index up 7% YoY
More here:

MAB sees stable performance amidst challenging conditions

• Tough competition, rising fuel costs and unfavourable currency conditions continue
  • Quarter 3 impacted by crew shortage
  • RASK remained steady, increasing 1.4% YoY
  • Passenger Load Factors saw healthy increase at 80.5%
  • On-time performance continues to improve at 74.9% up 8% YoY
  • Customer satisfaction index up 7% YoY
More here:

So, MH said they already received its sixth A330-200 which to be 9M-MTY but the appearance is yet to be seen. Secondly, they shifted delivery of B737 MAX 8 from supposely late quarter of 2019 to 2020.

So, MH said they already received its sixth A330-200 which to be 9M-MTY but the appearance is yet to be seen. Secondly, they shifted delivery of B737 MAX 8 from supposely late quarter of 2019 to 2020.

Yes, I was wondering too - there is no physical sign of the aircraft to date. Maybe they contractually took delivery but the plane is still in storage. It could be the lack of crew that is causing it not to be operational.

B737 Max 8 delivery might be slightly delayed due to CFM not ramping up LEAP production as quickly as planned.

I wonder if MH will be interested to take the Lion Air delivery slots if they carry out their threat to cancel their Max order?

Do you guys really think our MAS can take off again or will continue become cash cow for all the malaysian politician?

Given that the new PM was the PM that made MAS a politician's cash cow previously, I won't hold my breath.

Just look at how they're dilly-dallying on the widebody fleet replacement order that originally went to Boeing.

Do you guys really think our MAS can take off again or will continue become cash cow for all the malaysian politician?

The airline business is highly competitive internationally - even the best airlines like Cathay Pacific, Qantas, Singapore Airlines, etc. have found the competition tough these past few years.

GLCs tend to have the civil service culture - they are inward looking and it is hard to excel in that sort of environment. Very sad to say, units like MASWings and Firefly are struggling and might be the first to be shut down. They have painted a gloomy picture for 2019. I doubt it very much that MAG in its current state can fly high again.

Just look at how they're dilly-dallying on the widebody fleet replacement order that originally went to Boeing.

That was a (politically expedient) MoU and they were not even serious about it - fleet planning has never been their forte in the past and it does not look like it will change anytime soon!

That was a (politically expedient) MoU and they were not even serious about it - fleet planning has never been their forte in the past and it does not look like it will change anytime soon!

I doubt it. They've been dithering about the decision since 2010, surely now they can make up their bloody minds whether to go with the 787 or the A350.

That MoU was allowed to lapse due to politics, nothing more.

I doubt it. They've been dithering about the decision since 2010, surely now they can make up their bloody minds whether to go with the 787 or the A350.

Is it possible that their current crew shortage has meant that a new aircraft order is now put on the back burner?

Yes, it is probably apt that the MoU that resulted from politics also died from it! Otherwise, MAG might (like in the past), suffer again due to bad political decisions.

The so-called MoU in the very first place existed only because of politics. That crook Najib had to offer something to Trump during his visit - so that little Malaysia can help the US of A become great again. Just listen to what Najib had to say to Trump about MH buying lots and lots of Boeings.

It was nothing more than a promise to consider buying some 787s, which is probably the truth. It wasnt even a promise to buy. A real order was in all likelihood at least still a couple of major steps away.

And then, theres the issue of financing ...

It was nothing more than a promise to consider buying some 787s, which is probably the truth. It wasnt even a promise to buy. A real order was in all likelihood at least still a couple of major steps away.

IIRC, even if the "order" was firm, it was a conversion from an original firm order for B737 Max 8.

They've been dithering about the decision since 2010, surely now they can make up their bloody minds whether to go with the 787 or the A350.

It's a horrible thought, but surely they cannot be relying on 2010-era data to make a decision in 2018 (more likely 2019 when deal is done and ink is dry) :D

For sure the dynamics would be very much different for eg. 787-neo vs A350-max

(just saying) :D

Maybe CM short circuited their plans with the A359 order? In any case, fleet decisions very much depend upon the business plan. Till now, we are still unclear where MH will be heading. The A330/A350/A380 still has plenty of life in them. So, any new widebody orders can only be decided upon after we know what missions need to be flown in the future MH network

Edited by flee

I'm wondering wondering if there has been a recent attempt to cut costs on certain flights... Or it's just really bad inconsistent service

Just flew on MH 125 KUL - PER, 5hr+ flight, noticed some things missing - No pillows, only headphone and blankets.

Drinks only served during meal service, no MH peanuts handed out, crew only handed out the brunch which was an option of Nasi Lemak or omelette. I had Nasi Lemak option which was ok. Tasted fine but no anchovy provided, no yogurt only bun and, fruit. My brother next to me had the other option. I won't call it an omelette. Looked like processed food? Looks like egg but was greenish and yellow grey maybe an attempt a fritata? It was bland no sausage, 1 piece looks like a chicken nugget and then some green peas.

Crew didn't bother to come out of the back after meal service to hand out cup of water unless you call the crew.

It's not like they ran out of water or juice. When I went to the back to use the lavatory, I asked for a cup of orange juice and I was handed one.

Is there a new don't care if not requested policy? Service is Malindo level

I'm wondering wondering if there has been a recent attempt to cut costs on certain flights... Or it's just really bad inconsistent service

Just flew on MH 125 KUL - PER, 5hr+ flight, noticed some things missing - No pillows, only headphone and blankets.

Drinks only served during meal service, no MH peanuts handed out, crew only handed out the brunch which was an option of Nasi Lemak or omelette. I had Nasi Lemak option which was ok. Tasted fine but no anchovy provided, no yogurt only bun and, fruit. My brother next to me had the other option. I won't call it an omelette. Looked like processed food? Looks like egg but was greenish and yellow grey maybe an attempt a fritata? It was bland no sausage, 1 piece looks like a chicken nugget and then some green peas.

Crew didn't bother to come out of the back after meal service to hand out cup of water unless you call the crew.

It's not like they ran out of water or juice. When I went to the back to use the lavatory, I asked for a cup of orange juice and I was handed one.

On recent mh flights, find cabin crews attitude "don't bother", as if we owed them.

If not because of ow ffp points collection, I won't be traveling on mh.

Edited by KK Lee

Maybe because of one pax with peanut allergy so they didn't serve peanuts?