MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Seriously? KUL - LHR promotional fare at 3970 MYR vv??

God....

Max stay of 12 months - it is not that bad if I am a student looking for a return ticket with a year's validity.

KUL-BKI return is RM494, and KUL-KBR return is RM552. This is even more puzzling!

Malaysia Airlines Starts Transition To Profitability

September 18, 2015 19:29 PM

By Neville D'Cruz

SYDNEY, Sept 18 (Bernama) -- The transition of Malaysia Airlines System (MAS) to Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) is the first key step in returning "our wonderful airline" to profitability, said Lee Poh Kait, the airline's chief for Australia, New Zealand, South-West Pacific and South-East Asia, said here last night.

He said the changes, including a rebranding strategy, were now under way.

"These will encompass improvements across our operations, from products and seats, to the quality of our food and customer services, to ensure we continue to fly high as one of the very best airlines in the world, and it is expected to be completed in the next 12 to 18 months.

"It will also include a refreshed look for the airline, and while we can't reveal what that will be just yet, we have tested various ideas through market research and have received a very, very positive response," he said.

Lee, who was speaking at the sixth Flavours of Malaysia Food Festival at the Low Yatt-owned Grace Hotel here, said the new-look Malaysia Airlines won't happen overnight.

"But you will start to see a quick succession of announcements and dates that will take effect across everything from the pitch and size of seats to new menu options and inflight entertainment," he said.

Lee said there was much to look forward to and hoped the public would come along for the journey.

"Throughout all these exciting changes, connecting our continents will continue to be Malaysia Airlines' ultimate goal," he said.

The Malaysia Food Festival at The Grace will run for two weeks.

Four chefs from the Federal Hotel and Capitol Hotel were flown in to prepare the dishes, including recipes from "The Tunku's Kitchen" cookbook.

Federal Hotel stalwart, Ooi Lee Ping, said it gave her great pleasure to showcase Malaysia's delightful food.

"This is our sixth festival and the response from the Sydneysiders, both Australians and Malaysians living here, have been magnificent.

"This has encouraged us to make annual visits to Sydney," she said.

Grace Hotel General Manager, Philip Pratley, said he was fortunate to have "excellent chefs" from the Federal Hotel and Capitol Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

"They have the knowledge of Malaysian cuisine and the associated understanding of really authentic Malaysian flavours," he said.

The sponsors included Tourism Malaysia, Malaysia Airlines and Ayam Brand.

MAS in 'Brand Refresh' - NO rebranding/change in livery

"Every few months there will be something new, and that will be framed really as the new brand," he [Mueller] said at the airline's Kuala Lumpur headquarters on Thursday. "We will start in the first quarter of next year to introduce these improvements."

Mr Mueller said the airline would not be changing its brand name, in part because it was too expensive to repaint all of its aircraft. "I would not call it a hard rebranding," he said. "It is really more a brand refresh."

Change in focus from Kangaroo Route to North/South Focus

"I believe that [Kangaroo route] market is gone for people like us or Singapore Airlines or Garuda [indonesia] or Thai [Airways]," Mr Mueller said. "It is firmly in the hands of Middle East carriers. But also we recognise China, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, India, are growing and that is where we will focus. We going from a northwest/southeast focus more to a north/south."

source : TheAge

Edited by Ken K. Kour

Same place, probably same interview, different reporters, different interpretation...and you get something else.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/72625417/malaysia-airlines-prepares-for-rebranding-ceo-christoph-mueller-says

funny considering both stuff.co.nz / theage.com.au / smh.com.au are all under the same Fairfax Media umbrella.

Change in focus from Kangaroo Route to North/South Focus

"I believe that [Kangaroo route] market is gone for people like us or Singapore Airlines or Garuda [indonesia] or Thai [Airways]," Mr Mueller said. "It is firmly in the hands of Middle East carriers. But also we recognise China, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, India, are growing and that is where we will focus. We going from a northwest/southeast focus more to a north/south."

source : TheAge

On morning arrival to SYD and MEL from LHR, transit time at KUL is longer than DXB.

dont think Mueller is right - SIA is doing very well in Australia for many years and is still and is very well recieved by aussies and one may be hard pressed even to get a seat despite their 4 times services from SIn to like mel and syd. And by the same toke, doesnt Mueller thinh that the ME3 are not expanding into China and NE??

If u give consistently good service and nice hard product, you will win customers. unfortunately MH's service has gone down the drain over the years. Even on their flagship LHR-KUL service, standards have slipped over the past 18 years... I tried to ignore the negative comments on skytrax but on my last flights with them, the tray table was smelly and had either food or vomit stains.

Ever heard of something called "staff morale"?

If u give consistently good service and nice hard product, you will win customers. unfortunately MH's service has gone down the drain over the years. Even on their flagship LHR-KUL service, standards have slipped over the past 18 years... I tried to ignore the negative comments on skytrax but on my last flights with them, the tray table was smelly and had either food or vomit stains.

Yeah Capt, I wasn't trying to attack MH. I have family members who work for MH. Staff morale is is pretty low in the UK National health service for medical and nursing staff as the government is planning to change our contract which will result it 15-30% pay drop in spite of working longer hours.

But we don't treat our patients like crap. We still do our job and carry on.

It's not the customers fault that MH is in a crap state. It's some of your management and the government that have made it that way.

All I'm saying is that there is a noticeable drop in customer service level over the 18 years I've been using MH to fly long haul.

I hope CM managed to sort MH's financial situation out

I also noticed that recently the flight attendances of MH is not as joyful looking with their smiles as it used to be back when MH winning award for best cabin FA.

Edited by Zamir

I also noticed that recently the flight attendances of MH is not as joyful looking with their smiles as it used to be back when MH winning award for best cabin FA.

I just flew with MH last week for the first time in more than 2 years. I did not notice anything different. There were some great and some just ok crew.

Maybe it was just your unlucky day.

I met the all the way smiling and helpful crew during my recent flight with MH

It would really depend on your luck on which cabin crew that you've encountered during your flight. It was 1 week after MH 17 incident when I boarded a B777 flight to KCH and the crews looked very pleasant still.

New Malaysia Airlines CEO Christoph Mueller is remaking the troubled carrier
After a swift and subtle restructure, new Malaysia Airlines CEO Christoph Mueller is pushing for cultural change to bounce back from the "morale setback" of the loss of MH370 and MH17.
For a rebranding, it has certainly been a subtle one.
Just over a month ago, on August 31, the last flight of the old Malaysian Airline System Berhad (MAS) took off, and by the time the aircraft landed on September 1 the aircraft and its crew were in the hands of an entirely new company, Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB). There was no new logo and no new product offering and passengers would not have noticed any difference on landing.
"It was deliberate that we didn't want to have a transition and a big-bang type [of change] from August 31 to September 1," says Malaysia Airlines chief executive Christoph Mueller, a hard-charging German brought in earlier this year to lead a major restructuring effort at the carrier, having already done so at Irish flag carrier Aer Lingus.

I Still think this is a huge waste of money! It is conceded that Kangaroo route is dead, so now the solution is North South?? Please... What crap, if people want to fly a 3rd rate airline between Australia and China there is plenty of choice between the Chinese carriers, Garuda and Thai the latter of which i think is leagues ahead of MAS (MAB whatever lipstick on a pig.. still a pig)

Where does MAS fit into the market? The simple answer is that is doesn't! its not necessary and serves no purpose! If there is a need for such a service let private industry go about abating the demand rather than dumping 6 Billion (what at the point the country really really doenst have) into this fools endeavor!

In the meantime a competitor is:

Thai Airways is increasing focus on transit traffic, including in the highly competitive Australia-Europemarket, as part of the latest phase of its transformation plan. The flag carrier is maintaining capacity to Australia while most Southeast Asian competitors have cut back and has reversed some capacity cuts to Europe that were implemented in an earlier phase of its restructuring.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/thai-airways-part-1-europe-capacity-growth-resumes-as-747-400-retirements-are-postponed-247083

Edited by Robert

dont think Mueller is right - SIA is doing very well in Australia for many years and is still and is very well recieved by aussies and one may be hard pressed even to get a seat despite their 4 times services from SIn to like mel and syd. And by the same toke, doesnt Mueller thinh that the ME3 are not expanding into China and NE??

I agree with you Leon on this one,its like throwing a gold mine away.....

Who knows mergers seems to be they way forward,QF/EK and KL/AF. And even then AF in big mess. MAybe one day to rival middle east and chinese carriers,MH may need to merge with SQ (and they too will be left with no option),providing unrivaled capacity/frequencies to Aus/Eu route,just to survive and yet stay profitable.Other viable option are to go to bed with Qatar or Etihad (with Etihad A80 flying now to Syd(Direct),maybe via KUL like Ek's Mel/Kul/Dxb).

Edited by jadivindra

Frankly speaking, I think MAB is so insignificant now that whatever routes they ply, they need to show service excellence. From on time flights to high standards of inflight service to competitive fares and lounges for loyal and premium passengers. If you want people to fly with you, then you got to go back to basics first before anything else.

What I am a bit concerned about is the lack of mentioning oneworld. It looks like they are not really a very good oneworld member - they are neither contributing nor benefitting from being a member of oneworld.

The B737NG are being returned to lessor as fast as they came last time. Pity the cockpit crew.

Guess the older B737NG birds (with FF registration) will be out sooner than expected....Good riddance!

The B737NG are being returned to lessor as fast as they came last time. Pity the cockpit crew.

Guess the older B737NG birds (with FF registration) will be out sooner than expected....Good riddance!

Its a good thing, i rather be on an MX or new ML series then an FF anyday. Interiors are screwed and old.

Its a good thing, i rather be on an MX or new ML series then an FF anyday. Interiors are screwed and old.

Yeah, should only keep those with the sky interiors. The FF series were formerly used by XL in LCC configuration.