MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

LCY - AMS are big cities, still turboprop planes...so nothing to worry lah....

European still fly turboprop why Malaysian can't?

It is an Asian thingy with size :pardon:

Thought MASwings is still there?

MASWings is always the most expensive on those routes. MAS and AK are usually about the same. Sometimes MAS only slightly more. AK will surely raise theirs after this

It is an Asian thingy with size :pardon:

something that need to be straighten....

pelik lahhhh.....

MASWings is always the most expensive on those routes. MAS and AK are usually about the same. Sometimes MAS only slightly more. AK will surely raise theirs after this

MASWING is always the bottom of my list. No. 1 reason is the exuberant surcharges. The tix can go for Rm21 but after tax its gonna be Rm1++. Paling minimum surcharges plus tax is RM70.

MY 1st choice when buying tix is to check MH, then AK, then Maswing. normally will take MH even its slightly more than AK.. My last trip to SIN, organizer proposed me to take AK, RM470 w 20kg luggage while MH is charging Rm430 come with 30kg luggage... macam mana AK tidak untung? hi hi hi

My cousin flown MH3471 on 19th July 2015, she said load factor was 5 persons only!

Thought MASwings is still there?

Turboprop vs Jets.

MASwings price is of more concerned to East Malaysians [as you can see from Dr Chuo thread] rather than size of the planes (I do admit that some people are of turboprops fear though).

another point to note, travelling decision within Sarawak (KCH-SBW, MYY-SBW or KCH-MKM etc etc) either on AK, MH or Maswing mostly are done last minute. I do admit sometime MASwing tend to be cheaper than AK, when bought last minute. So some time looking at the fare online doesn't reflect the load factor. Most business man will decide to travel last minute. how much time in between the point decide to travel and travel time is another interesting research question. I did a study on decision making by business traveller on LCC or FSC before. i missed out this part where how last minute the business traveller in making decision to travel.

Re turboprob. i would prefer to travel using turbo prob. faster turn around time, boarding n disembark faster, light weight, can be of more frequency. my fond experience with OD from SZB-PEN. plane turn around time is as efficient as AK.

Edited by Dr Chuo Hock Tieng

Malaysia Airlines restructuring Part 1: 40% capacity cut to Australia is harsh - but sensible

Malaysia Airline (MAS) is cutting capacity to Australia by over 40% in Aug-2015 as it drops Brisbane and reduces capacity to Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. But Australia remains an important market for MAS and the flag carrier will remain one of Australia’s 10 largest foreign airlines.
The reductions are sensible as for the most part they simply reverse earlier expansion that was overambitious and unsustainable. MAS does risk leaving an opening for competitors, particularly Malaysian rival AirAsia X, but in the current challenging phase of its history it cannot be worried about market share.
This is Part 1 in a series of reports on MAS capacity cuts and the potential impact on the Malaysian and broader Asian markets.
This report focuses on Australia, where the upcoming MAS cuts follow significant capacity reductions made in early 2015 by AirAsia X.

I will miss MH142/143. It had timings that worked for me.

You know I am still confused as what CM means by a re branding. A complete new design style like Fiji/American Airlines but keep the name? Or a valuJet change

Some news sites are reporting it as a re branding, others say its a complete new name. Re branding is depending on how big the change is can range from just repainting the planes with a new livery to a almost complete strip out of the old name and branding. If its halfway you end up with the livery mess we have today.

it's very odd how Malaysia Airlines ended up with so many variations in their livery through a combination of three liveries and two wau (this excludes the retro jet livery).

I can't remember secondary mathematics of permutations and combinations, but with old livery, swoosh livery and special livery for A380, add to the re-styled wau it is an extreme mish mash for the airline (particularly when the stylised wau looks different and positioned differently on the A380, A330 and B737). Talk about the level of consistency, it's much more varied than Qantas change in the Kangaroo (yes even Qantas has planes flying around with old style roo today)

There is so much talk about rebranding after major disasters, but come to think of some airlines with previously bad incidents have remained in their current livery today: notably KE, CI, AF

wonder if MH can change back to the old wau like JAL did with from the red tail back to the crane. Anyways, they've got more things to be concerned about...

From various analyst reports I read about the impact of the drop of AUD vs. USD:

- middle eastern carriers expanded like crazy during the days when AUD was on par with USD. Huge profit margins to be made when selling tickets in Australia.

- local carriers like Qantas suffered because they reported everything in AUD and did not profit from high AUD. Good chunk of business is also from overseas.

- now with AUD 30% lower, middle eastern carriers do not make that much profit margin anymore. The expansion will/already? slow down. Less international travel as well, Aussies finding international travel becoming expensive and holiday locally instead. Local carriers stand to benefit.

Looks like MH is also affected by the fall in AUD.

Malaysia Airlines restructuring Part 2: 23% international ASK cut enables AirAsia to overtake MAS

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is cutting international seat capacity by about 18% in Aug-2015 as the ailing flag carrier restructures its network ahead of the 1-Sep-2015 transition to a new company. International ASKs are being reduced by about 23% as the medium and long haul networks have seen bigger reductions than operations within Asia with the new MAS seeking to leverage its strong regional position.
Australia accounts for about 30% the seats and about 40% of the ASKs being removed from the MAS international network in Aug-2015. Europe accounts for about 10% of the seats and 20% of the ASKs being removed in Aug-2015 but the cuts to Europe are much steeper when also factoring in the May-2015 suspension of services to Frankfurt.
In Sep-2015 MAS will for the first time have a fewer international ASKs than the AirAsia/AirAsia X groups. AirAsia’s short-haul Malaysian subsidiary will also overtake MAS as Malaysia’s largest international carrier on a seat basis. On a group level AirAsia already has more international seats in Malaysia and has been the domestic leader for several years.
This is Part 2 in a series of reports on the upcoming capacity cuts at MAS and the impact on the Malaysian and broader Asian markets.

Latest leak from the MH Rumour Department:

MH has finalised its new IATA code. It will not have M and H in it. 3 codes have been finalised by the management. R and something. Both alphabets.

Latest leak from the MH Rumour Department:

Apparently the "MH" code was meant to stay before this leak... this is intriguing. Perhaps the new IATA code is to better suit the new branding?

Based on this, the only possible combination are - RH, RI, RK, RM & RN

http://www.airlineupdate.com/content_public/codes/airlinecodes/iatacodes/iata_r.htm

But that would contradict the statement that "It will not have M and H in it" for RH and RM.

Since the rumour does not mention where "R" would be, I'd say "ER" and "SR" might be some possibilities, however sinister that sounds...

Edited by Y. J. Foo

The new name doesn't have to start with a R just because the IATA code is R-something.

TZ Scoot, OZ Asiana, RB Syrianair, etc.

True. But it's nice to have a code that resonates. MAS is afterall a flag carrier