MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Oh ya, thanks flee. Thought it was a statistic chart.

Some quarters suggesting the following:

1907744_719162644817423_6702113611474483

- MH to become a fully dry airline

- Female cabin crew to don hijab

- By implementing Lean principles, British Airways was able to increase annual profits by more than GBP 100m and improved customer service and operating efficiency with a new customer system that they implemented.

- So, if they were planning to spend RM5bn in taxpayers' money anyway, wouldn't shutting down the company make more sense? At least each of the 20,000 employees get, on average, a payout of RM250k.

Interesting article by RHB ;)

Ok I read the analysis report so is that a sarcasm?

Because I found the RHB analysis is rather stupid. The solution to MH problem is to reduce manpower and cut routes.

Who does not know that? We all knew that since 2006.

Wow, down to the bare minimum. I don't think they will completely withdraw from Paris.. Together with London, these would be the routes that potentially provide the most premium traffic. Maybe they might scale down their flights to 5 weekly or something for CDG.

The restructuring will be painful but it's a must if we want to see MH come back leaner and stronger. JL is the perfect example for them to emulate. Not sure about GA.. Sounds like they had an Idris Jala style shake up... Short sighted and not sustainable

Btw.. MAR: QR serves KUL with 1xdaily 77W and 2x daily 332...

Edited by Izanee

Well the JL case is probably closest to MH's scenario. They also had fundamental structural issues. They cut their unprofitable routes - almost 25% of their total routes/frequencies. They cut staff by 30%. They sold off all their B747s.

When they refloated the company, they recovered all their investment and even made money out of the IPO. However, I think that profit is questionable since govt. and other creditors had to write off a lot of debts and there was probably a net cost.

Lets wait and see - the plans should be revealed tomorrow (when MAS announce their Q2 2014 results) or Friday.

Even before MH enters its restructured new self, these quasi politicians are trying to poke in their fingers re: hijab and dry carrier... Politicians KEEP OUT!

Edited by V Wong

Even before MH enters its restructured new self, these quasi politicians are trying to poke in their fingers re: hijab and dry carrier... Politicians KEEP OUT!

MAS is dying and all they think about is sex and booze! ;)

Ok I read the analysis report so is that a sarcasm?

Because I found the RHB analysis is rather stupid. The solution to MH problem is to reduce manpower and cut routes.

Who does not know that? We all knew that since 2006.

I think most of us here in MWings know that most of the "analysts" in this country know nuts about the aviation industry. Besides the industry is changing so quickly that many of them are not even aware of the current developments.

If they cut booze, these politicians have to put their kids on other airlines :drinks:

Maybe they should follow Air NZ model. Squeeze in in economy, flat-bed in business.

Imagine MAS already is in rm12 Billion Debt and now Khazanah have to put in rm5Billion over next 3 years in order to trim and get turnaround MAS - and this excludes the amount of operating losses that MAS will get over the next 3 years!

It would have been much better to let MAS go bankrupt and truly privitalised the airline. And MAS should have never gotten the A380s in the very first place.

Unless the new CEO is from within MH, how could the new CEO lead a company that he has no hand in shaping? MH has been incurring losses for over a decade, almost all current management contributed and accustomed to these losses, how could their think outside the box to remodel?

- MH to become a fully dry airline

- Female cabin crew to don hijab

If implemented, for certain MH will rank among PK, SV and KU. Unless Brahim catering and foreign caterers stop supplying alcohol to other airlines, the facility won't be exactly fully halal.

It is already a bad sign that Khazanah's plan needs Cabinet approval. Najib is the Chair of Khazanah. Shouldn't that be enough as he represents the Cabinet at the Khazanah board?

Maybe MH aspires to grow to the size of BI I guess. Take away the alcohol and all - and we'll reach the soaring glorious heights of 3 flights a week to London.

Would serving alcohol or not affects your decision to fly on an airline? For me I'll fly BI any time if the fare is cheap, and the equipment newer.

Edited by Waiping

Would serving alcohol or not affects your decision to fly on an airline? For me I'll fly BI any time if the fare is cheap, and the equipment newer.

KU, SV, PK fare to Europe is among the cheapest but few consider to use them.

Go ask that question on the world - and not look at this from a Malaysian perspective. MH is playing in the international field. Unless you got another 10 billion to burn through when not only yields but loads also go to hell.

EK, QR or EY serve alcohol although in some aspects (Edit to add) UAE and Qatar are more conservative than Malaysia. Imagine if they didn't, where are they going to send countless 777s and A380s.

Edited by Johan Z

This article is actually quite well representating the view of the majority of the MAS staff. "We have a famous saying among the staff: 'It's the same circus, with different clowns'." How apt.

I would wish Capt. Nik Huzlan to be more direct when he said "MAS is suffering from an image problem and a problem with the staff. They have to find someone the staff can respect and rally behind." I wished he would firmly add "We don't want a parachuted new CEO from the UMNO elite club and his team chose by a musical chair anymore. We have talents within the company and we want one of them to be the new CEO".

But when he said "Airlines are about image. If you cannot carry an image, well that's the end of the story for you. You cannot have a humble and shy CEO" when referring to AJ and made reference to TF, is there a flamboyant or diva-attitude senior manager within MAS as of now? I can't think of anyone with such an image other than Raja Nordiana and Rashdan before but they both were also much hated among the staff (and not to forget the latter was a parachuted talent from Khazanah, not from within MAS own talent pool). I am not sure if this trait is required because as far as I concern, there are only (at least) 2 airline CEOs in the world with such caliber, i.e. Sir Richard Branson and Uncle Tony. The CEOs of other airlines with high net profits like Emirates, Ryanair, Southwest, Cathay Pacific et. al. are all mostly the quiet professional type.

I believe AK group, OD, and even the new Rayani Air are employing and MH could perhaps arrange jobs transfer for these employees..

AK is not a charity organisation or an extension of a government department like MH that such a 'job transfer' program can be arranged.

OD is expanding, so there might be some vacancies.

To the majority of the staff especially the management (office) side, they should look across all industries if they don't want to be unemployed. I believe there are tonnes of job available in Jobstreet Malaysia, outside the aviation business.

And to all, we are a competitive bunch, so go out and look for a job on a global level, like most of us here in MW. Leave the country (as they continuously asked us to do so) for a greener pasture abroad, at least in Singapore. Lets contribute to the brain drain statistics. If you had to leave MH against your will, wouldn't it be a sweet avenge to those who caused you the problem (AJ, MH, the country, Najib, whoever) if you managed to secure a job elsewhere?

Ok finally one of my spies from the MH Rumour Department is willing to open his/her mouth after much persuasion. Probably not 100% correct but at least we have a scoop:

Utk announcement restructuring MH besok: 6000-7000 staff kena buang, at least 7 B777 kena retire, leased B738 akan dipulangkan ke lessor, at least 8 stations tutup, frequencies domestic reduce by 30-40% and regional by 10%. Station yg tutup: AMS, IST, DXB, AKL, BNE, KIX, DRW, KMG.

And if you think that you deserve to stay but being fired anyway, bring MAS to the court for wrongful dismissal. http://www.nst.com.my/node/27728

This article is actually quite well representating the view of the majority of the MAS staff. "We have a famous saying among the staff: 'It's the same circus, with different clowns'." How apt.

I would wish Capt. Nik Huzlan to be more direct when he said "MAS is suffering from an image problem and a problem with the staff. They have to find someone the staff can respect and rally behind." I wished he would firmly add "We don't want a parachuted new CEO from the UMNO elite club and his team chose by a musical chair anymore. We have talents within the company and we want one of them to be the new CEO".

But when he said "Airlines are about image. If you cannot carry an image, well that's the end of the story for you. You cannot have a humble and shy CEO" when referring to AJ and made reference to TF, is there a flamboyant or diva-attitude senior manager within MAS as of now? I can't think of anyone with such an image other than Raja Nordiana and Rashdan before but they both were also much hated among the staff (and not to forget the latter was a parachuted talent from Khazanah, not from within MAS own talent pool). I am not sure if this trait is required because as far as I concern, there are only (at least) 2 airline CEOs in the world with such caliber, i.e. Sir Richard Branson and Uncle Tony. The CEOs of other airlines with high net profits like Emirates, Ryanair, Southwest, Cathay Pacific et. al. are all mostly the quiet professional type.

you forgot that Akbar al Baker of QR and Tim Clark of EK are both very verbal in terms of demanding airline manufacturers to accede to their requirements, thus i wont say they are the quiet type, they are vocal in a professional manner, the character which i believe the next CEO of MAS should be. Uncle TOny may be good in running low cost business model but will he succeed in running full service carrier, apple to apple comparison must be made here as i believe both run different business concept