MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

13 hours ago, BC Tam said:

Wonder if anyone bothered enough to initiate shadow play - that is, make big fuss of initiating negotiations with manufacturer A for urgent narrowbody deliveries and with manufacturer B for expedited widebody frames¬†ūüėĀ

Hahahaha, I don't think both Airbus and Boeing will give two hoots about Malaysia Airlines or Malaysia government. If you are Singapore Airlines or Air India, the story may be different......maybe they will send an executive over in their own corporate jet, overnight, to smooth talk over you.......

Malaysia Airlines expands Amritsar operations, introduces daily flights for enhance connectivity

https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2024/06/07/malaysia-airlines-expands-amritsar-operations-introduces-daily-flights-for-enhance-connectivity

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines Bhd is increasing its Amritsar-Kuala Lumpur flight frequency from four to seven times weekly effective Aug 1, 2024 due to the strong travel demand and positive load factor performance on the route.

The increase in flight frequencies from Amritsar will elevate Malaysia Airlines' total weekly flights in India to 71.

It said the decision follows the airline's earlier doubling of frequency to Amritsar from two to four times weekly in January 2024, signifying the confidence of this booming market.

"Amritsar, introduced in November 2023, joins Ahmedabad and Trivandrum as one of three new India routes introduced that year, said the airlines in a statement today, adding that the airline had also recently increased frequencies on the Trivandrum route to four times weekly effective April 3, 2024.

Malaysia Airlines boasts an extensive India network, offering flights from nine major hubs, namely New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Ahmedabad, Amritsar and Trivandrum.

Glad to see MH is doing strong on ATQ. Full load return, according to insider information. If only MH has A321neo or B737-max 10 they will be laughing to the bank. MH plans to expand to second tier cities however is restricted by Indian government. 

3 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Glad to see MH is doing strong on ATQ. Full load return, according to insider information. If only MH has A321neo or B737-max 10 they will be laughing to the bank. MH plans to expand to second tier cities however is restricted by Indian government. 

Yesterday's KUL-ATQ was operated using A332.

MH780 bound for BKK last night (June 24, 2024) returned to KUL due to pressurization problem. Usually a B737 flight but was upgraded to A330-200 9M-MTW.

MH has had a few inflight incidents involving its B737 and A330 fleet, some went into press, some didn't. One of the many possible causes is lack of spare parts which the ground crew has advised the management to stock up during pandemic era, but fallen to deaf ears. Another reason is lack of manpower (especially seniors) to fix minor issue quickly. Recruited few joiners but they need supervision. Some fix was done wrongly, therefore needed more fixing. Third, the current flight schedule is tightly packed, no room for AOG or delay, otherwise the whole operation may crumbled aka lack of substitute aircraft.

First A339 rego's been comfirmed as 9M-MNG continuing from the A380

2 hours ago, jahur said:

First A339 rego's been comfirmed as 9M-MNG continuing from the A380

Thanks for the confirmation. I wonder why they don't start a new series for a new fleet, like 9M-MOA or something.

A350's registration was bad enough to start with 9M-MAB since 9M-MAA is assigned to Ambank Group's Eurocopter AS 365N2 Dauphin. Maybe it is just me.......

Edited by JuliusWong

7 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Thanks for the confirmation. I wonder why they don't start a new series for a new fleet, like 9M-MOA or something.

They have 20 on order and they probably like to finish on 9M-MNZ.

Does anyone knows as to the exact period MH40 & MH41 operates? The flight number indicates its not an extra flight but its not consistent either.

20 hours ago, Riza said:

Does anyone knows as to the exact period MH40 & MH41 operates? The flight number indicates its not an extra flight but its not consistent either.

I cannot see it operating once in 6 month (data doesnt go back further) and nothing is scheduled based on expertflyer

On 6/30/2024 at 2:11 PM, Riza said:

Based on FR24, latest operated MH40 is on 29th June and the return flight MH41 on 30th June 2024

Malaysia Airlines July 2024 One-Time 737 MAX Taipei Service

Malaysia Airlines this week plans one-time aircraft changes on Kuala Lumpur ‚Äď Taipei Taoyuan route, as the airline schedules one-time Boeing 737 MAX 8 operation, on 06JUL24. This route is normally served by 737-800 or A330-200/-300 aircraft.

MH366 KUL0915 ‚Äď 1410TPE 7M8
MH367 TPE1510 ‚Äď 2000KUL 7M8

Malaysia Airlines NW24 Seoul Aircraft Changes

Malaysia Airlines in Northern winter 2024/25 season is adjusting operational aircraft on selected Kuala Lumpur ‚Äď Seoul Incheon service, as the airline schedules Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft between 27OCT24 and 06FEB25. The 737 MAX will replace A330 on the 5 weekly MH038/039 service.

MH038 KUL1415 ‚Äď 2210ICN 7M8 x12
MH066 KUL2315 ‚Äď 0630+1ICN 333 D

MH039 ICN0010 ‚Äď 0615KUL 7M8 x23
MH067 ICN1105 ‚Äď 1645KUL 333 D

MH038/039 on selected dates during Christmas/New Year period will continue to be operated by A330-300, instead of 737 MAX. From 29JAN25, MH038/039 will once again to be operated by A330-300, except 737 MAX 8 scheduled on 30JAN25 and 06FEB25 (Kuala Lumpur departure).

https://www.aeroroutes.com/

1 hour ago, Adam Lawrence said:

Malaysia Airlines NW24 Seoul Aircraft Changes

Malaysia Airlines in Northern winter 2024/25 season is adjusting operational aircraft on selected Kuala Lumpur ‚Äď Seoul Incheon service, as the airline schedules Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft between 27OCT24 and 06FEB25. The 737 MAX will replace A330 on the 5 weekly MH038/039 service.

MH038 KUL1415 ‚Äď 2210ICN 7M8 x12

MH039 ICN0010 ‚Äď 0615KUL 7M8 x23

MH038/039 on selected dates during Christmas/New Year period will continue to be operated by A330-300, instead of 737 MAX. From 29JAN25, MH038/039 will once again to be operated by A330-300, except 737 MAX 8 scheduled on 30JAN25 and 06FEB25 (Kuala Lumpur departure).

https://www.aeroroutes.com/

Oh dear...MAX8 for such long sector for a premium carrier.. 6 hours 40 mins...This should be a first for an Asian premier carrier.

9 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Oh dear...MAX8 for such long sector for a premium carrier.. 6 hours 40 mins...This should be a first for an Asian premier carrier.

It's the not MAX I have issues with but the god awful LCC cabin that MH use. 

23 hours ago, Robert said:

It's the not MAX I have issues with but the god awful LCC cabin that MH use. 

Yes, that has always been my issue with the airlines that operate narrow bodies - both the A320 and B737 suffers from cramped seating and shapeless seats when configured in LCC style. I think airlines should install orthopedic chars in the premium class seats - I am sure these will sell well. Long flights without adequate lumbar support and limited recline should be avoided as it can do serious damage to your health!

1 hour ago, flee said:

Yes, that has always been my issue with the airlines that operate narrow bodies - both the A320 and B737 suffers from cramped seating and shapeless seats when configured in LCC style. I think airlines should install orthopedic chars in the premium class seats - I am sure these will sell well. Long flights without adequate lumbar support and limited recline should be avoided as it can do serious damage to your health!

There is little or no cost difference between the A333 and MAX mights however there is a significant cost saving by taking SQ which is a MAX to SIN and the A359 to ICN at comparable departure times to the MH MAX flight.

On some sample dates these were RM700+ cheaper in Y and booked through the SQ site.  

10 hours ago, Robert said:

There is little or no cost difference between the A333 and MAX mights however there is a significant cost saving by taking SQ which is a MAX to SIN and the A359 to ICN at comparable departure times to the MH MAX flight.

On some sample dates these were RM700+ cheaper in Y and booked through the SQ site.  

Given competition from PRC and neighbouring countries airlines, MAG current profitability is unlikely to sustain.

11 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Given competition from PRC and neighbouring countries airlines, MAG current profitability is unlikely to sustain.

I should also add that Batik was more than RM1,000 cheaper also I would need to check for add on's etc 

15 hours ago, KK Lee said:

While booking my long haul flights earlier this year, MH fares seldom appear to be competitive. As such, they did not get my business. Last month, I went to Indonesia - and Batik Air Indonesia won that deal, not MH!

Yes, it is sad that the powerful people at the top do not realise it. You cannot just rely on patriotism/nationalism to sustain the flag carrier. Those days are gone. These days, with the cost of everything reaching astronomical levels, people have to cur their clothes according to the cloth. We can't afford to overspend!

Edited by flee

I think MH is pricing their inventory just about right now, minus the crappy cabin hardware as many say here. While all of us can complain how uncompetitive MH pricing is, one should realizes that they are suffering from massive talent attrition because their salary is the lowest among all the three major airlines in Malaysia. Batik Air is paying their engineers five figure monthly salary, while as those of MH barely can make it pass RM10K. Both operates B737 fleet, that's their nearest competitor. Pilot wise...attached image for your reference.

Then you have those ME3 + SQ coming annually to poach all the available talent with five to six figures salary with subsidized education for their children, subsidized housing, and healthcare. There was a documentary on SQ's engineering team and dispatch team, the numbers of Malaysians working with them are shocking, but I am not surprised. Some came as far as Tawau, Sabah. 

And you have management who are so thrifty to the extend of not willing to listen to the employees, stock up parts, up salary to retain senior crews, buy more aircraft even if it is second or third hand as relief aircraft.....

So all those delays and flight cancellation for the past few months, big chances, were due to there are not enough manpower to turnaround aircraft fast enough, or fix their aircraft correctly and on-time, or enough pilots to fly those aircraft.  Food for thoughts for all there?

ab415f0c-0580-4db0-8da7-a2c03d2290c9.jpg

3155b658-07ab-40c9-9985-6e2e329d80f2.jpg

4dcc22b0-120e-4fc4-ae2f-4c9c2f30b202.jpg

Edited by JuliusWong

1 hour ago, flee said:

While booking my long haul flights earlier this year, MH fares seldom appear to be competitive. As such, they did not get my business. Last month, I went to Indonesia - and Batik Air Indonesia won that deal, not MH!

Yes, it is sad that the powerful people at the top do not realise it. You cannot just rely on patriotism/nationalism to sustain the flag carrier. Those days are gone. These days, with the cost of everything reaching astronomical levels, people have to cur their clothes according to the cloth. We can't afford to overspend!

A friend of mine who lives in Bali and who is a massive MH fan was telling me that their pricing isnt competitive anymore. HE travels to BKK on a periodic basis in J and both SQ and TH (direct) are at worst on par but generally cheaper than MH and offer a much better product. 

All of this will come and bite MH in the bum. 
poor salary, poor trained staff retention etc etc. 

also they missed a trick by bringing out their much hyped 737-max8 - without lie flat beds and IFEs. this is a huge mistake. They could have made it more premium and used it for flights to Amritsar, Perth, and even Seoul if you like (looking at the aircraft changes recently). 

I often wonder what goes through their minds. Of course, I understand the financial implications but you can now see people choosing other airlines for their better products (and worse still, more competitive prices!!)

1 hour ago, Izanee said:

also they missed a trick by bringing out their much hyped 737-max8 - without lie flat beds and IFEs. this is a huge mistake. They could have made it more premium and used it for flights to Amritsar, Perth, and even Seoul if you like (looking at the aircraft changes recently). 

You are inviting disaster when you replace a wide body aircraft with a narrow body aircraft with LCC seats. The least MH could have done is to have the same type of seats as the A330Neo for a regional sub fleet of 737 Max 8s.

22 minutes ago, flee said:

You are inviting disaster when you replace a wide body aircraft with a narrow body aircraft with LCC seats. The least MH could have done is to have the same type of seats as the A330Neo for a regional sub fleet of 737 Max 8s.

agree with you. Maybe they are trying to emulate BA

Flip Flop... 

Published at 1200GMT 04JUL24

Malaysia Airlines this week once again filed aircraft changes on Kuala Lumpur ‚Äď Seoul Incheon route for Northern winter 2024/25 season. Between 27OCT24 and 29MAR25, the 5 weekly MH038/039 service will continue to be served by Airbus A330-300. The oneWorld member previously filed 737 MAX 8 aircraft from 27OCT24 to 06FEB25.

The carrier operates this route 12 weekly.

MH038 KUL1440 ‚Äď 2210ICN 333 x12

MH039 ICN0010 ‚Äď 0615KUL 333 x23

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240704-mhnw24icn