MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Checked in at KLIA counter H this morning for MAS flight. It was a complete mess. The check in lines moved extremely slow with the check in staff busy arranging accommodation for those affected pax.

28 minutes ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

Checked in at KLIA counter H this morning for MAS flight. It was a complete mess. The check in lines moved extremely slow with the check in staff busy arranging accommodation for those affected pax.

I don't know why they'd delay MH4 today to tonight. It's much easier to delay and reaccomodate 1 flight for 24 hours rather than 2 flights for 9-12 hours each. Just less stress to the ground staff and also any compensation due.

Bumped into an old friend at KLIA who was sending her son off to LHR this morning. She was a bit clueless whether to find out a bit more details from the staff at the counter (the check in line was extremely long and broken up into multiple lines !) or go back home first and return to the airport later in the evening.

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

And the 8000-series flight number for Hajj flights has already started.

12 hours ago, Craig said:

It appears that 9M-MAD didn't make it out of HND tonight and it's canceled. It was supposed to have a 19:00 departure before being re-scheduled to 23:00 and now canceled. MH2D is still expected to depart at 07:00 tomorrow. Let's see if any of the other frames (9M-MAC/E/F) are fixed by tomorrow morning so MH2D won't be canceled.

MAD is on route to KL - ETA 17:34 as per FR24

11 hours ago, Craig said:

MH2 11/5 will depart at 09:30 12/5 (using MH3 turnaround)
MH4 12/5 will depart at 23:30 12/5

At this rate, they’d operate 2 flights a day every other day. 

Why don’t they just cancel MH2 11/5 so they can have MH2/4 operating as usual 12/5 or delay MH2 11/5 by about 24 hours. This is just crazy that they are delaying each flight by about 12-14 hours. 

Can’t imagine all the compensation they have to fork out for UK261 (similar to EC261). 

MH2 - not operated since 10/05
MH4 - MAG on route to LHR - departed at 10:24

3 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

During peak period, it is advised to allow extra time to check in at MH EY counter at KUL. Occasionally, queue spilled beyond island H.

On QR to EUR, MH operate KUL-DOH sector price is cheaper than QR. Believe many pax preferred to pay more for QR than have their experience dented by MH.

On 5/10/2024 at 9:43 PM, Robert said:

Not sure but MH70 to Tokyo has the A333 appearing. A guy flying on 12th has been downgraded to Y and the email and CS response leaves a lot to be desired. He has posted own several FB groups (both MH and  Non MH) so its starting to go viral. This has now been picked up my travel site. 

Whilst the downgrade couldn't be helped it frustrating that MH has such a poor response to issues: https://www.refinedpoints.com/post/malaysia-airlines-downgrades-business-class-passenger-to-economy-without-compensation?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=blog.post-promoter&utm_campaign=d29821d9-5fb0-4d89-b192-c6214f51bac9&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR3y3qA1tNZsSWVZYFZ6XCj7nqxe7itZBCae0YRw5RX5YIONPv2TM0mRv1o_aem_ATQJE5Lze_4VdNThan1zpbnjwA4PwMb41ZtP5pq45MnhYobkq3WG-ZA9_C_HkgVXs31_auITkcPABVcPL2wshb9G

With advance notice, MH should and could offer J class pax option on JL or NH flight to NRT. On the other hand, MH is known to avoid sending pax to competitors.

11 hours ago, Craig said:

MH2 11/5 will depart at 09:30 12/5 (using MH3 turnaround)
MH4 12/5 will depart at 23:30 12/5

At this rate, they’d operate 2 flights a day every other day. 

Why don’t they just cancel MH2 11/5 so they can have MH2/4 operating as usual 12/5 or delay MH2 11/5 by about 24 hours. This is just crazy that they are delaying each flight by about 12-14 hours. 

Can’t imagine all the compensation they have to fork out for UK261 (similar to EC261). 

If compensation is cheaper than loss making flight; this may give bean counters idea to combined flight during low season.

Have just checked the latest:

The mess continues

MAB - on the way to KUL as MH1. ETA 17:29
MAC - Arrived this evening in KL on 11/05
MAD - Left Tokyo HND this morning and will arrive in KL ~17:30
MAE - in KL AOG since 24/3
MAF - in KL AOG with a tech issue since 9/5
MAG - on its way to LHR as MH2D. Departed around 10:20

MH4 - delayed to 23:30

So today's MH3 at LHR is delayed until 17:55. Will they turn MAG around and send it back as MH3?
MH1 is showing as on-time but will likely be delayed because there will be no aircraft in LHR to operate it.

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, KK Lee said:

With advance notice, MH should and could offer J class pax option on JL or NH flight to NRT. On the other hand, MH is known to avoid sending pax to competitors.

If compensation is cheaper than loss making flight; this may give bean counters idea to combined flight during low season.

MH has a joint venture with JL and it's in their proposal to be "metal neutral" between the MY and JP. However, both MH and JL business class are sold out both directions. I don't know how likely will MH put their pax on NH, but they'd probably exhaust their own options first (e.g. via KIX, ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE etc.).

May isn't exactly a low season to London. 

51 minutes ago, Robert said:

Have just checked the latest:

The mess continues

MAB - on the way to KUL as MH1. ETA 17:29
MAC - Arrived this evening in KL on 11/05
MAD - Left Tokyo HND this morning and will arrive in KL ~17:30
MAF - in KL AOG with a tech issue since 9/5
MAG - on its way to LHR as MH2D. Departed around 10:20

MH4 - delayed to 23:30

So today's MH3 at LHR is delayed until 17:55. Will they turn MAG around and send it back as MH3?
MH1 is showing as on-time but will likely be delayed because there will be no aircraft in LHR to operate it.

Not only LHR and NRT but their DOH too! A few of their flights are canceled or severely delayed. MAH is operating both MH161 and MH165 which I don't know how that's possible. 

MH164 on 11/5 departed at 16:02 whilst MH160 is canceled. 
MH164 on 12/5 is canceled whilst MH160 from 11/5 (I have no idea how they do this now) departed at 09:39 on MH160D.

I am curious if pax on those affected flights received a canceled or delayed notification. Both aren't ideal but I assume you can get a chargeback from your credit card if it's canceled and perhaps more rebooking.

1 hour ago, KK Lee said:

Already happening since the MAS act post 2015.

Last heard on FY jet ops if the number of passengers do not exceed 98 passengers for a flight its auto cancellation by the revenue and operations department while consolidation of passengers into other flights will happen. In the old days load below 15% may warrant cancellation nowadays 50-60% also want to cancel and for airasia the margins can be up to 90% on certain seasons. This is how unmanageable the yields in Malaysia are but again the global trend has been going towards this.

Some countries operating 360 seater B77W could carry on flights with just 50-60 passengers, do the same in Malaysia accountants would start to carry their pitchforks.

24 minutes ago, Craig said:

MH has a joint venture with JL and it's in their proposal to be "metal neutral" between the MY and JP. However, both MH and JL business class are sold out both directions. I don't know how likely will MH put their pax on NH, but they'd probably exhaust their own options first (e.g. via KIX, ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE etc.).

May isn't exactly a low season to London. 

Not only LHR and NRT but their DOH too! A few of their flights are canceled or severely delayed. MAH is operating both MH161 and MH165 which I don't know how that's possible. 

MH164 on 11/5 departed at 16:02 whilst MH160 is canceled. 
MH164 on 12/5 is canceled whilst MH160 from 11/5 (I have no idea how they do this now) departed at 09:39 on MH160D.

I am curious if pax on those affected flights received a canceled or delayed notification. Both aren't ideal but I assume you can get a chargeback from your credit card if it's canceled and perhaps more rebooking.

you are about 30 mins ahead of me haha

Was looking at it after somebody posted on FB: "My friend on a returning trip from Nairobi with a transit at DOH with MH just received flight cancellation notification a few hours ago. I assume aircraft affected is 9MMAH and probably been used for NRT"

7 hours ago, Robert said:

Was looking at it after somebody posted on FB: "My friend on a returning trip from Nairobi with a transit at DOH with MH just received flight cancellation notification a few hours ago. I assume aircraft affected is 9MMAH and probably been used for NRT"

MAH is trying to do both MH161 and 165 at the same time 🤣 I hope your friend was re-accommodated on QR. 

And tonight’s MH2 is canceled. With MH4 departing around the same time as previously scheduled MH2.

At this rate, they might as well just renumber MH2 as MH4 and MH4 as MH2. Why are they canceling delaying all their flights by 9-12 hours when it’s just easier to cancel. Now they have to deal with three 359 rebooking. 

MAB is now flying as MH160 to DOH (there are no more 359 available now) as we speak. This is complete CF now. 

Edited by Craig

7 hours ago, Robert said:

If is on qr ticket, could move to qr flight without much hassle.

7 hours ago, jahur said:

Already happening since the MAS act post 2015.

Last heard on FY jet ops if the number of passengers do not exceed 98 passengers for a flight its auto cancellation by the revenue and operations department while consolidation of passengers into other flights will happen. In the old days load below 15% may warrant cancellation nowadays 50-60% also want to cancel and for airasia the margins can be up to 90% on certain seasons. This is how unmanageable the yields in Malaysia are but again the global trend has been going towards this.

Some countries operating 360 seater B77W could carry on flights with just 50-60 passengers, do the same in Malaysia accountants would start to carry their pitchforks.

After safety, reliability is the top priority for most pax. Without dependable arrival time, most pax are unlikely to book in the future.

Penny wise, pound foolish. Couldn't blame regular travellers to avoid mas. For reasons, why MH has poor yield.

Edited by KK Lee

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Throw a few darts, see if any of it sticks. Feel free to send them email or tagged them in LinkedIn since their CS is not empowered to do anything.

Not sure what is the Group Chief and Transformation Officer is for. Whole operation is clusterf*ck! I feel sorry for those customer service and ground crew. Still want to be five stars airline and best cabin crew? What a joke!

Should take a leaf from TG CEO who came out to apologise recently when pax complained about the tatty interior of their aircraft.

9 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Throw a few darts, see if any of it sticks. Feel free to send them email or tagged them in LinkedIn since their CS is not empowered to do anything.

Not sure what is the Group Chief and Transformation Officer is for. Whole operation is clusterf*ck! I feel sorry for those customer service and ground crew. Still want to be five stars airline and best cabin crew? What a joke!

Should take a leaf from TG CEO who came out to apologise recently when pax complained about the tatty interior of their aircraft.

Insiders say their chief experience officer at times are totally disconnected with the reality of whats happening everyday at the frontlines. 

1 hour ago, Pall said:

Insiders say their chief experience officer at times are totally disconnected with the reality of whats happening everyday at the frontlines. 

Not surprised by this, she graduated with accounting background (bean counters), started career with Accenture which is the worst con-sulting firm of all. Took up several other roles at different firms before joining MH. 'nuf said. Same poor showing by the predecessor Schrene-Goh, which did nothing much for MH customer experience.

They have suffered from poor long term fleet planning and the result is what we see at this moment. Having lots of net + cash flow now is nothing much to shout about as this can quickly be burnt. I think that with the current lack of equipment reliability, they really regret not replacing the retired B777s and A380s.

They have underinvested in equipment the past decade and are now suffering from the consequences. This is exacerbated by the supply chain and delivery issues Airbus and Boeing are facing right now. The current team will need to work with whatever they have now and wait for new equipment to be delivered. Until then, MH will be a pale shadow of themselves.

36 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Not surprised by this, she graduated with accounting background (bean counters), started career with Accenture which is the worst con-sulting firm of all. Took up several other roles at different firms before joining MH. 'nuf said. Same poor showing by the predecessor Schrene-Goh, which did nothing much for MH customer experience.

Ive also heard many negative things about her from staff. The kind that is into lots of pointless KPI's all the time. 

34 minutes ago, flee said:

They have suffered from poor long term fleet planning and the result is what we see at this moment. Having lots of net + cash flow now is nothing much to shout about as this can quickly be burnt. I think that with the current lack of equipment reliability, they really regret not replacing the retired B777s and A380s.

They have underinvested in equipment the past decade and are now suffering from the consequences. This is exacerbated by the supply chain and delivery issues Airbus and Boeing are facing right now. The current team will need to work with whatever they have now and wait for new equipment to be delivered. Until then, MH will be a pale shadow of themselves.

Poor fleet planning + poor customer service + zero long term planning + incompetent HR dept = disaster. SQ has 64 A350s, 23 B77Ws and 22 B787s running their widebody operation, and despite delay to their B787-10 and B777-X delivery, they can still run their operation quite well. 

MAG is now scrambling hiring cadet pilot and cadet engineers after many seniors left. Some 80+ pilots are planning to resign or have resigned and 300 engineers resigned. And those cadet all want to be tiktok famous...do video, bring LV bag, showing off in social media how "hard" their work is, cannot be scolded, if not they will run to HR complain workplace bully. Some didn't even met the height requirement. Instructor pissed off at HR. God forbid if they have OnlyFans account as side business. 

We are seconds from another disaster if the management doesn't buck up. Cathay is having the same issue. Actually most airlines are facing the same issues, except SQ. They run a military style operation.

Edited by JuliusWong

11 minutes ago, Robert said:

Ive also heard many negative things about her from staff. The kind that is into lots of pointless KPI's all the time. 

Calling her an airhead is an understatement. She make James Hogan looks like Warren Buffet.

3 hours ago, Pall said:

I wonder if she knows what they're serving for coffee in J. Nescafe Gold Blend is a joke..

So today its still a mess to put it mildly

MAB – returned from LHR yesterday as MH1 and then went to DOH and is on its way back to KL. ETA 14:20 today

MAC – in KL AOG since 11/05

MAD – Returned from Tokyo on 12/05

MAF - in KL AOG since 9/5

MAG – Delayed and scheduled to depart LHR at 07:55 as MH1 – eta KUL 14/05 04:10

Note as per the MH site all scheduled flights from LHR on 13 May (today) are cancelled and ex KUL MH4 is cancelled. 

Madness 

31 minutes ago, Robert said:

MAB – returned from LHR yesterday as MH1 and then went to DOH and is on its way back to KL. ETA 14:20 today

Note as per the MH site all scheduled flights from LHR on 13 May (today) are cancelled and ex KUL MH4 is cancelled. 

35 minutes ago, Robert said:

I recall last time Royal Brunei had a mess breakdown with the ex SIA B772. They actually wet lease a logoless looking widebody aircraft for a month. Even down to the B788 era they had 1 wet lease A330NEO from hifly as well. I think its time MH has to consider this.

2 minutes ago, jahur said:

I recall last time Royal Brunei had a mess breakdown with the ex SIA B772. They actually wet lease a logoless looking widebody aircraft for a month. Even down to the B788 era they had 1 wet lease A330NEO from hifly as well. I think its time MH has to consider this.

But now most of the charter airlines aircraft are now locked in Hajj lease. There aren't any many spare to go around. 

Royal Brunei leased a B757-200 from Titan Airways to mitigate the B787 grounding, then Wamos Air A330-200 then switched to Hifly A330-900neo.