MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

20 hours ago, Craig said:

MH needs a new social media/PR team. Who launches/resumes a new flight without any hoo-haa or at least give some sort of advance notice. I didn't even know they fly to Pekanbaru now! They can follow how UA teases their followers with new routes and announce it with a bang. Their social media is all about Journify and not much more. These social media posts or press release aren't expensive. At the very least, put it on their website!

Apparently the 2x weekly YIA and PKU flights are Umrah feeder services. Most of the seats are already blocked by agents, hence not much room for commercial sales and media hype.

Edited by Pall

Besides double-daily to LHR, its interesting to see which stations will not get the 350 once MH ramp up the Tokyo frequencies. 

On 11/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, Pall said:

Apparently the 2x weekly YIA and PKU flights are Umrah feeder services. Most of the seats are already blocked by agents, hence not much room for commercial sales and media hype.

Makes sense then. Because PKU/JOG flight schedule seems very odd for a regional flight. It doesn't connect to any destination beyond KUL from PKU/JOG other than DOH.

On 11/14/2022 at 7:03 PM, Riza said:

Besides double-daily to LHR, its interesting to see which stations will not get the 350 once MH ramp up the Tokyo frequencies. 

LHR requires three 359 frames. TYO double daily (1x each to NRT and HND) will require about 0.7 each (about 7-8 hours ground time in KUL). There's still one left for rotation/maintenance. One destination that keeps getting 359 other than TYO/LHR is AKL (probably due to range more than anything else since 359 is premium heavy for MH). 

Did MH firmed up the 339 orders? There hasn't been any news since the MOU was signed.

12 hours ago, Craig said:

Did MH firmed up the 339 orders? There hasn't been any news since the MOU was signed.

It would be a while before the agreement will be signed. Negotiation for engines, parts and financing could be well underway and to be finalised before they can sign on the dotted line. I believe both MH and Airbus has their respective teams doing so since the initial agreements cover the acquisition of 20 A330-900 aircraft, with 10 to be purchased from Airbus and 10 to be leased from Dublin-based Avolon. That being said MH offloading six A380s for 10 A339neo in exchange could be a pretty good deal.

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

..... That being said MH offloading six A380s for 10 A339neo in exchange could be a pretty good deal.

If you take into consideration interest(s) generated from their A380 disposal efforts, any deal that involves offloading the dugongs should be a pretty good deal already 😁

From Airbus' point of view, keeping the A330Neo programme alive and kicking is important. I think taking the A380s back may be a low price to pay.

10 hours ago, BC Tam said:

If you take into consideration interest(s) generated from their A380 disposal efforts, any deal that involves offloading the dugongs should be a pretty good deal already 😁

Hahahaha, LOL.....I would think they had even offer "Buy 3 Free 3", but still no taker......I am joking.

Read this one Facebook page, from November 14, 2022 onwards, one A380 would leave every Monday around 9:00am to Tarbes, France for next six weeks. 

On 11/14/2022 at 11:19 PM, JuliusWong said:

After eight years of faithful service, Malaysia Airlines A380-841 9M-MNC bids farewell to Tanah Airku today November 14, 2022 9:11am.

MSN084 has landed in Tarbes, France for further storage/ scrapping.

May be an image of aeroplane and outdoors

May be an image of aeroplane and outdoors

Photo Credit: M Abd Hafiz of Facebook

Flightradar24 Tracking: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9m-mnc

315583097-10224849518179612-297855579734
json code tester

315686214-10224849518259614-236802607643
json code tester

Malaysia Airlines to stop KL-Brisbane flights from March 27, 2023

KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 24): Malaysia Airlines will suspend its Kuala Lumpur-Brisbane route from March 27, 2023 as part of its ongoing business review.

"The last flight on this route will depart Brisbane to Kuala Lumpur on March 26, 2023 via MH134," it said in a statement on Thursday (Nov 24).

"Operations on non-stop flights between Kuala Lumpur to four other existing Australian destinations, namely Adelaide, Sydney, Perth, and Melbourne, will continue without change, providing up to 43 direct services a week between Australia and Malaysia."

According to the carrier, customers travelling to Brisbane can leverage its codeshare and oneworld partner, Qantas, and connect from Sydney and Melbourne to Brisbane after the suspension.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/malaysia-airlines-stop-klbrisbane-flights-march-27-2023

NOTE:

Malaysia Airlines first started flying into Brisbane on October 31, 1990 but was dropped in August 2015 as part of its network rationalisation exercise under the 12-point MAS Recovery Plan announced in 2014. The most recent resumption was back in June 2018.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180113202210/https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/276582/malaysia-airlines-resumes-brisbane-service-from-june-2018/

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/malaysia-airlines-resuming-flights-brisbane-after-threeyear-hiatus

"Malaysia Airlines on Tuesday (09JAN18) opened reservation for Kuala Lumpur – Brisbane route, set to resume on 06JUN18. The airline will operate this route 4 times a week, on board Airbus A330-300 aircraft. The oneWorld member last operated Brisbane service in August 2015.

MH135 KUL0950 – 1955BNE 333 x257
MH134 BNE2320 – 0550+1KUL 333 x257"

They are in short of 2-3 a330 at the moment. To consolidate the fleet to the point a350s were temporary pulled in for temporary post election domestic flights. Lackluster routes and p2c contracts were discontinued. 2 a332 scheduled to leave end of next year not sure how they will make up for it. 

Edited by jahur

On 11/11/2022 at 1:50 PM, Craig said:

I always thought that with reduced frequencies to North Asia & OZ + AKL is also being served by 359, then MH have ample 330. The only constant addition is the double daily to DOH.

MALAYSIA AIRLINES NW22 KOTA KINABALU – TAIPEI SCHEDULE CHANGES

Malaysia Airlines from December 2022 is adjusting operational schedule on Kota Kinabalu – Taipei Taoyuan service, when it resumes regular operation on 05DEC22. The oneWorld member will be operating day-time service in both directions, instead of evening departure from Kota Kinabalu, morning from Taipei.

MH068 BKI1140 – 1500TPE 738 13
 MH069 TPE1630 – 2000BKI 738 13

MH will also operate extra flights with various schedules from 19JAN23 to 26JAN23, with 737-800.

On 11/24/2022 at 10:15 PM, jahur said:

They are in short of 2-3 a330 at the moment. To consolidate the fleet to the point a350s were temporary pulled in for temporary post election domestic flights. Lackluster routes and p2c contracts were discontinued. 2 a332 scheduled to leave end of next year not sure how they will make up for it. 

Let me understand MH's conundrum. MH is currently short of aircraft (which explains why they have to suspend lackluster routes and this does not include the 330s needed for China/Korea/Taiwan/HK if MH wants to match their 2019 capacity) but MH is ordering 1 330 less than their 2019 330 fleet even though they don't have enough planes? Sounds apt for MH 🤣

Do you think the new government will have better planning or will empower MH more to make decisions that's best for the airline?

Anyone has any idea whether the entire MH 330 fleet has been resurrected from pandemic induced hibernation yet ?

And what of the remainder of the fleet - the 738's ?

Edited by BC Tam

9 hours ago, BC Tam said:

Anyone has any idea whether the entire MH 330 fleet has been resurrected from pandemic induced hibernation yet ?

And what of the remainder of the fleet - the 738's ?

All 21 as per pre pandemic basis 1 will be in the hangar 1 on standby but last report not 1 was available for emergency use unless retiming can be used . For 738 a small subfleet of less then a dozen still on grounding. 

10 hours ago, Craig said:

Let me understand MH's conundrum. MH is currently short of aircraft (which explains why they have to suspend lackluster routes and this does not include the 330s needed for China/Korea/Taiwan/HK if MH wants to match their 2019 capacity) but MH is ordering 1 330 less than their 2019 330 fleet even though they don't have enough planes? Sounds apt for MH 🤣

Do you think the new government will have better planning or will empower MH more to make decisions that's best for the airline?

Lackluster in terms of yields. P2c were usually profitable but not gold digging as passenger flights to mumbai, delhi etc. The 330neo orders are 20unit and 20optional last heard. Financially tight mh has also mumbled through previous townhall that they may keep a small fleet of a333 past year 2025 if they cant get more than 20 a330neo as well due to constraints.

Gov of MSIA has been hands off with everything. Barely any single cent to help airasia, malindo and mag since the first mco. Defense spending on GDP also dwindling compared to our peers. Very antagonistic approach to applying loan to buy stuff like Indonesia. But they have no issue or qualms allocating annual skyrocket 14.2bil ringgit into the Prime Minister Office during the annual budget lol.

Badawi's time it was only 5bil and it kept increasing since Najib came in.

Out of 14.2bil a simple 1-2bil to cushion our airlines, mindef adequate procurement also only requires extra 4-5bil increase. Neither any of these were approved.

Edited by jahur

3 minutes ago, jahur said:

Lackluster in terms of yields. P2c were usually profitable but not gold digging as passenger flights to mumbai, delhi etc. The 330neo orders are 20unit and 20optional last heard. Financially tight mh has also mumbled through previous townhall that they may keep a small fleet of a333 past year 2025 if they cant get more than 20 a330neo as well due to constraints.

Gov of MSIA has been hands off with everything. Barely any single cent to help airasia, malindo and mag since the first mco. Defense spending on GDP also dwindling compared to our peers. Very antagonistic approach to applying loan to buy stuff like Indonesia. But they have no issue or qualms allocating annual skyrocket 14.2bil ringgit into the Prime Minister Office during the annual budget lol. 

We shall see. New administration promised some austerity measures so we shall see which department gets the biggest cut. Defense spending has been quite abysmal. When you say hands off with airlines but do they decide which planes say MAB get based on specifications/needs from the airline itself or what incentives they get for purchasing that particular aircraft 😉.

20 plus 20 seems more reasonable, but really no 359/35K/789s? No expansion into Europe (I'll leave US/Canada out for now) in the medium term? I remember reading that QR rejected deliveries of their 35Ks. I doubt a lot of passengers will complain if they sub MH's current 359s with QSuite fitted 35Ks.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

20 plus 20 seems more reasonable, but really no 359/35K/789s? No expansion into Europe (I'll leave US/Canada out for now) in the medium term? I remember reading that QR rejected deliveries of their 35Ks. I doubt a lot of passengers will complain if they sub MH's current 359s with QSuite fitted 35Ks.

End user usually at gov's wit with this. The one that offer most bumiputera job creation, local technology transfer and bundle deals would be proceeded instead of how reliable and long term usage it benefits the enduser.

I highly doubt mh would take all the optional 20. It may execute a few of it if budget allows so. If it cant the old a333 would soldier on. Even the atr72-600 they ordered 30 if i recall back, they took less than half. The 738 orders also included many options not all were executed. Quite common for manufacturers to bundle in a lot of potential options for clients.

Mab so called mild expansion plan requires 33 widebody. For now it has about 27. So short of 6 for expansion. A350s almost daily have been brought up and discussed for MEL, HND, NRT and they're short of 2-3 to accommodate the following above consistently. AKL is among the first few places prioritized for 330neo handover as well with 350 was not suited there.

The a35k sounds very suiting especially for LHR for the potential extra 30 seats. But i don't have the inside info on its operational cost difference over the a359. If you notice not many airline took the a35k unless they're primed for super long distance flights. 

It may be wise for mh to maybe provided finances is not an issue. Take the usual 20 a339, then for the 20 optional to take 5-6 additional a339 plus 2 more a359. For a total of 25 to 26 a339 and 8 a359.

For cargo Maskargo current 332f are range constricted compared to the b763f they would also have to look whether replacing them 3-4 a350f would suit it. So far airbus has not made any improvements to the a332f range with 40tonnes of payload but i doubt this would be part of the 20 optional. 

Edited by jahur

Perhaps in the case of BNE, new collaboration with a partner like QR who might shift their metal DOH-KUL-BNE vv instead.. rumour was heard that this capacity shift and augmentation might occur.. currently QR operates 1* daily to BNE from DOH. 

6 hours ago, Sandeep G said:

Perhaps in the case of BNE, new collaboration with a partner like QR who might shift their metal DOH-KUL-BNE vv instead.. rumour was heard that this capacity shift and augmentation might occur.. currently QR operates 1* daily to BNE from DOH. 

https://simpleflying.com/qatar-airways-brisbane-australia/ for context.. 

On 11/26/2022 at 10:55 AM, jahur said:

Mab so called mild expansion plan requires 33 widebody. For now it has about 27. So short of 6 for expansion. A350s almost daily have been brought up and discussed for MEL, HND, NRT and they're short of 2-3 to accommodate the following above consistently. AKL is among the first few places prioritized for 330neo handover as well with 350 was not suited there.

The a35k sounds very suiting especially for LHR for the potential extra 30 seats. But i don't have the inside info on its operational cost difference over the a359. If you notice not many airline took the a35k unless they're primed for super long distance flights. 

Interesting that HND/NRT flights generate that much demand right now; granted Japan recently reopened but JL/NH has been slow to restore services to Malaysia compared to other parts of SE Asia or US. JL restored daily flights but with smaller aircraft (788 instead of 789).

I hope they reuse that BNE capacity elsewhere as there is only 40 seats available per week/direction between MY and AU (PER, BNE, SYD, MEL).

I would expect QR 35Ks to come at a discount? Since it's all fitted with QR's cabin and configuration. I recall TK and LH taking in SU and PR's 359s. I am curious if there are any sanctioned/canceled 359s that MH can pick up easily/for cheap. Oddly enough, those off-brand business class is better than LH/TK's original business class.

6 hours ago, Sandeep G said:

5 minutes ago, Sandeep G said:

I don't know how bi/tri-lateral works for QR/MY/AU air services agreement. But if QR is only allowed 3 daily into AU's big 4 cities, it doesn't make sense to go via KUL since that will still mean 4 daily QR-AU flights. The only exception is what QR is doing right now DOH-MEL/SYD-CBR. Replace CBR with any non SYD/MEL/BNE/PER and it'll work (same goes for Malaysian carriers).

On 11/26/2022 at 10:55 AM, jahur said:

End user usually at gov's wit with this. The one that offer most bumiputera job creation, local technology transfer and bundle deals would be proceeded instead of how reliable and long term usage it benefits the enduser.

I highly doubt mh would take all the optional 20. It may execute a few of it if budget allows so. If it cant the old a333 would soldier on. Even the atr72-600 they ordered 30 if i recall back, they took less than half. The 738 orders also included many options not all were executed. Quite common for manufacturers to bundle in a lot of potential options for clients.

It may be wise for mh to maybe provided finances is not an issue. Take the usual 20 a339, then for the 20 optional to take 5-6 additional a339 plus 2 more a359. For a total of 25 to 26 a339 and 8 a359.

For cargo Maskargo current 332f are range constricted compared to the b763f they would also have to look whether replacing them 3-4 a350f would suit it. So far airbus has not made any improvements to the a332f range with 40tonnes of payload but i doubt this would be part of the 20 optional. 

I think it often gets forgotten that MH’s A333’s aren’t actually that old, the first one -MTA is only a fraction over 11years old. The J product is only 6 years old and most of them have been repainted in the past 18months. 

They are the perfect workhorse for regional flights, it’s just a shame that the Y product is so dated compared to their closest competitor. 

The A332’s are a different story, but they were an opportune acquisition when they became available at short notice, with minimal expenditure on the interiors.