Jump to content
MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, jahur said:

Yes and how many conglomerate folks like Lion air Group or FLC groups are there in Malaysia? You need to be a multi billionaire with political connections to start up an airline not a RM2 dollar bargain hunt fella.

The logistic demand and air export is regular. Have you even been to East Malaysia for that matter? Note that how the previous state gov of Sabah fell under Kadazan Dusun Murut votes by the lackluster efforts of Warisan?  Roads were in better shape prior to 2017. Contracts for town upkeep in were terminated and nobody in the public wanted to take up until 2020. Engineers were laid off for the Pan Borneo Highway projects. Poor Maritime surveillance effort that everyday we see 30-40 Undocumented immigrants sneaking in per 1% of them rounded up has covid for that matter. While the gov big brain idea was to post an additional 8k soldiers to east coast without giving them proper radar equipment and ships to efficiently scan over the seas. The gov only spends  1.1 % of its gdp on military budgeting whereas vietnam and Philippines were at least spending above 3% heck even philippines increased to 11% now under Duterte.  While all the  previous and current gov of Malaysia could think about is how scared they are to raise the GDP debt ratio to 68% from 53% while giving out  stupid b40 cash handouts when it can be given out to save jobs instead.

In this country, with gomen contract in hand and strong cable, one could outsource while setting up a airline and obtain finance.

shafie apdal was too focus on his tribe and neglected the rest, and deserved to be ousted.

due to historical and cultural connection, sabah east coast border is porous. unless shoot to kill curfew is enforced, undocumented immigrant is almost impossible to stop.

a reason why mindef is poorly funded is due to previous excessive procurement.

pan borneo highway contract was a shambles from bn regime and didn't improve under pr gomen.

taxpayers will eventually need to pay for gomen borrowing and handouts. believe our economy will continue to fall behind our neighbours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KK Lee said:

In this country, with gomen contract in hand and strong cable, one could outsource while setting up a airline and obtain finance.

shafie apdal was too focus on his tribe and neglected the rest, and deserved to be ousted.

due to historical and cultural connection, sabah east coast border is porous. unless shoot to kill curfew is enforced, undocumented immigrant is almost impossible to stop.

a reason why mindef is poorly funded is due to previous excessive procurement.

pan borneo highway contract was a shambles from bn regime and didn't improve under pr gomen.

taxpayers will eventually need to pay for gomen borrowing and handouts. believe our economy will continue to fall behind our neighbours.

Agreed... what a shame that the ringgit is now worth less than the Thai baht and Philippines Peso ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jahur said:

Poor Maritime surveillance effort that everyday we see 30-40 Undocumented immigrants sneaking in per 1% of them rounded up has covid for that matter. While the gov big brain idea was to post an additional 8k soldiers to east coast without giving them proper radar equipment and ships to efficiently scan over the seas. 

Understand rmn took delivery of 6 boeing scaneagle last may. ideally, 2 units are on duty 24/7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KK Lee said:

Understand rmn took delivery of 6 boeing scaneagle last may. ideally, 2 units are on duty 24/7.

Yes and they are currently positioned in Semporna stolport however they are not suited for adverse weather conditions. Need to note the filipino immigrants enter via hidden trails Kunak and Kota Marudu when it is raining at night. It is better to deter them over the sea, as when they reach on land it is difficult for the army or police to catch them. It would benefit to add more patrol ships with better radar under the royal navy and maritime. Understandably previously when they hauled up illegal boats the current ship in the inventory could not even tow the boats and they would have to call in commercial tug boats to do the job.

The biggest mistake with since Badawi's and made worse in Najib tenure was prioritizing civil agency over the navy. Navy is terribly short of patrol ships and littoral combat ships and surface scanning helicopters. While the police has too many special ops, uav and fancy helicopters. It should be the air force and navy's duties as with what our neighbouring countries are doing.

 

Edited by jahur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 3:42 AM, flee said:

Got nothing to lose and maybe something to gain.

We won't know if we don't try.

Nothing to lose except for several billion dollars and no hope of profitability for the first half a decade or so at the very least, you mean? And going by how this country works, the new carrier would inevitably succumb to the shackles of government interference. Then we'd be back to square one.

I'd rather the devil we know.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:42 AM, flee said:

We won't know if we don't try.

This is not some Silicon Valley startup in which you take the plunge with a dream and a prayer, and dust yourself off if (or rather, when) it fails and move on with life. There's so much more at stake in starting a new national carrier.

 

Edited by Chris Tan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seem Khazanah may not be financially in position to side with the devil though 

Edited by BC Tam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this unprecedented industry crisis, British Airways’ owner IAG SA still managed to land almost $1 billion by selling points to American Express Co., while others including Delta Air Lines Inc. and United Airlines Holdings Inc. laid down their programs as security against billions of dollars of loans and bonds.

Some airlines are making more income from loyalty than flying, a handy lifeline when global air travel has been sliced in half. Qantas Airways Ltd.’s membership division was the airline’s biggest source of earnings in the year ended June. The Australian carrier expects the unit to make as much as A$600 million ($430 million) in profit by June 2024, almost double the current figure.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-18/best-time-to-find-air-mile-deals-is-when-flights-are-grounded

A reason why mh is unprofitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MH Enrich wasn't rewarding since its inception.......more so under Raja Dato Nordiana Zainal era...after that Enriched Enhanced was lipstick on a pig.....can;'t be bothered to accrue anymore.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

MH Enrich wasn't rewarding since its inception.......more so under Raja Dato Nordiana Zainal era...after that Enriched Enhanced was lipstick on a pig.....can;'t be bothered to accrue anymore.....

Until 2015 or so, Enrich offered terrific value. KUL-LHR in Business was only 46.5k, for instance. Availability was rarely an issue as it booked into revenue fare buckets - which in itself came with its own 'perks' :).

Family of 4 to London and back in J over the Christmas peak? No problem. It was one analogy of how a dysfunctional MH offered great opportunities if you knew where to look.

Then the bean counters decided to ruin the fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

Until 2015 or so, Enrich offered terrific value. KUL-LHR in Business was only 46.5k, for instance. Availability was rarely an issue as it booked into revenue fare buckets - which in itself came with its own 'perks' :).

Family of 4 to London and back in J over the Christmas peak? No problem. It was one analogy of how a dysfunctional MH offered great opportunities if you knew where to look.

Then the bean counters decided to ruin the fun.

Let's not forget 27k, or thereabouts, for a quick jaunt to LAX in J, via HKG. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if you guys read.. Captain Izham said the idea might be to close down MH.. Use Firefly AOC for 6 months.. then rename to "Malaysia" again because Firely won't be known internationally.

They have even registered code MY with IATA.

EDIT: Sorry I just realized that MY is MASwings. But yeah that's what he said.

Edited by jani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

‘I am here to make things right’

CAPTAIN Izham Ismail took over as group CEO of Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAS) in 2017, making him the fourth CEO of the country’s flag carrier since the rebooting of Malaysian Airline System Bhd in 2014. The loss-making airline had been struggling to turn around amid a tough operating environment due to overcapacity and thin margins. The Covid-19 pandemic has made matters worse, and it is now proposing to restructure its debt in a bid for survival. Here is an excerpt from The Edge’s exclusive interview with him:

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/cover-story-i-am-here-make-things-right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, flee said:

‘Solve overcapacity conundrum or shut down MAS for good’

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/solve-overcapacity-conundrum-or-shut-down-mas-good

One way 45 minute flight ticket in S.korea costs 100-300usd and it is similar in Indonesia with their local currency converted. Whereas pre covid KUL-PEN ranges from 30-150usd. Something is definitely wrong there. 

Edited by jahur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...