MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

On 11/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, KK Lee said:

For maswings to stop losing money, the gomen should replace atr-72 with smaller aircraft, ras to operate by single engine single pilot turboprop.

Its a CAAM requirement to have x2 pilots for any revenue flights in malaysia. Fyi, viking, nomad and kingairs are all single pilot ops aircraft. But even Prima air langkawi cessna caravan has x2 man crew due to the regulation.

And yes to operate SE aircraft inland above dense jungle requires a basic x3 days jungle survival training. Or if over water, to don life jackets at all times. Plus signing indemnity forms. Flying dr services are mainly conducted with twin engine helicopters namely as355, bo105 and ec145. Bell206 will have some restrictions.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:25 PM, Kenny Sing said:

MAB does receive money from government for running RAS. i don't think MAB bear the expenditure for RAS (much if not all). I mean, correct me if i'm wrong.

Am not sure but maybe they do. After all, for RAS ops you will need a lot of funding. The basic LCC business model will not work for RAS. I believe we all recall FAX, they fail to serve borneo also, every day flights after flights got canceled. 10 passengers flight cancel. In the end borneo people themselves wants FAX to be out. Like now TWU-KCH flights... airasia bug out just like that. RAS is RAS like it or not you can hardly if not never make $ out of it. 

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Craig said:

I am surprised no one has suggested seaplanes yet to lower cost. So many rivers in Sabah and Sarawak 😬

Asfaik, they did tried. One operator even put floats on the Bell206 for island transfers. Operating sea planes will be very expensive. A maldivian air taxi 30-40min return flight needs USD300-USD450 PER pax. I don't believe we have the number of " Premium Tourist" to operate scheduled flights on sea planes.

Look at BKI its LCC paradise. The pax we have in malaysia are the rm80 per flight on LCC. We have "premium tourist" but they are very very scarce. The last thing i remembered the bell206 floats were seen hanging on the wall. Looks expired and u/s to me lol.

8 hours ago, flee said:

I really don't know how much marketing and promotions MASWings does. I am also not sure how much budget they get for such activities.

For the not so popular routes it seems that they are just happy to receive RAS subsidies and offer pax a take it or leave it product.

On the popular routes, they don't have to do the sales and promotion work - just take bookings only. Reminds me of the days when the then GLC Proton sold cars like hot cakes even though their after sales suck big time.

if you think MASWing sucks, then you probably might conveniently forgot the Fly Asian Express.

3 hours ago, Silverfly07 said:

Am not sure but maybe they do. After all, for RAS ops you will need a lot of funding. The basic LCC business model will not work for RAS. I believe we all recall FAX, they fail to serve borneo also, every day flights after flights got canceled. 10 passengers flight cancel. In the end borneo people themselves wants FAX to be out. Like now TWU-KCH flights... airasia bug out just like that. RAS is RAS like it or not you can hardly if not never make $ out of it. 

agreed. RAS is serving the needs, not serving the profits.

8 hours ago, flee said:

I really don't know how much marketing and promotions MASWings does. I am also not sure how much budget they get for such activities.

For the not so popular routes it seems that they are just happy to receive RAS subsidies and offer pax a take it or leave it product.

On the popular routes, they don't have to do the sales and promotion work - just take bookings only. Reminds me of the days when the then GLC Proton sold cars like hot cakes even though their after sales suck big time.

im not really paying much attention on the pie of marketing, but at least they doing some good work on the "unique routes" which still under protection by the government or say, Limit by the infrastructure. BKI-LDU is monopolized, unless OD eventually come step a foot in Borneo Land. SDK-TWU via LDU also doing good, until AK eventually got the rights to fly this route. needless to mentioned about the DHT flights, as mostly wont surplus any cost of the flight, even a "full" flight, especially flights via KUD. 

as of promotion, IIRC the government do not give any green light to do promotion before January. but at least now, they doing flat rate for SDK-LDU at RM68/pax, which is around 30-40% of the full-Y fares. (for 20mins flight :p )

On 11/1/2019 at 9:30 PM, flee said:

I think MASWings is something that the Federal Govt. wants to abolish over time - it is better to have cheaper alternative modes of transportation in East Malaysia. It may take 10-15 years to achieve that, but it should be sorted out for the long term future of the country. East Malaysia is big but not as remote as Australia. So there should be viable solutions for land transport if there is a political will to implement them.

MAB should focus itself to run on a commercial basis - so MASWings should not be part of MAB.

Isn't that already and is happening? Look easily 20-30 years ago i believe 60-70% of BN2 and DHT Otter routes went extinct. Roads are surfacing everywhere. This is an ongoing thing. And now they are building the pan borneo highway, after that its just a matter of time isn't it?... but for the next 15-20  years, while waiting, how are people in rural areas going to be connected?

And a study must be made, considering the very small and greatly scattered population of sarawak... is it cheaper to built and continuously maintain " interior roads " just for a few thousand population OR to fly them? Maintaining miles and miles of roads also cost a lot and remember east malaysia is toll free. Of course for this they have to do some studies.

And btw as far as i understand MW & MH are both separate entities. They have their own profit and lost report. MH does not support MW in terms of $ anyway. So why the worry? Instead MW is an added bonus for MH. Isn't it?

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Pall said:

For the ignorants who still question the need for RAS. 

Cessna 208B for RAS

Edited by KK Lee

Clock is ticking for Malaysia Airlines

AS the government prepares to choose a strategic investor for loss-making Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB), pressure is already building to get the choice right and as quickly as possible.

People who have seen the national carrier’s books tell The Edge that as it stands, the airline only has enough cash to sustain its operations up to April 2020.

However, other sources familiar with Khazanah Nasional Bhd’s plans say the sovereign wealth fund, which wholly owns MAB, will not let the carrier crash by then.

“They have funding in place on a rolling 12-month basis ... Khazanah is already planning for beyond the original timeline [of the latest RM6 billion turnaround plan],” says one source who requested anonymity.

Full report here: https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/cover-story-clock-ticking-malaysia-airlines

On 11/1/2019 at 8:19 PM, affendi osman said:

Anyonw knows about BOB snacks on MH? 

Effective today on selected long haul flights 

A double sided BoB leaflet offering biscuits, kitkat, maggi cup noodles, one coffee in a can beverage, etc with price ranging from RM4-RM9 each item thereabouts, and available for sale on certain flights.

Not unlike what you may see available for sale on FY flights.

KUL-SIN Shuttle returns... sort of...

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines Bhd will be launching the first-of-its-kind fare option for travellers called shuttle fares, on direct flights between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore beginning December 10, 2019.

https://www.thesundaily.my/local/malaysia-airlines-introduces-shuttle-fares-on-kul-sin-direct-flights-MB1726529

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/sg/en/plan-your-trip/mh-shuttle.html

Not sure if it is me only or otherwise.... Since MH appointed the new marketing team and customer experience, they have been on a drive, rolling out many different campaigns and events. I like their new marketing campaign tbh. Now if they can roll out a standard livery, it will be even better. 

29 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Not sure if it is me only or otherwise.... Since MH appointed the new marketing team and customer experience, they have been on a drive, rolling out many different campaigns and events. I like their new marketing campaign tbh. Now if they can roll out a standard livery, it will be even better. 

I would agree with you here. I quite like their recent wau campaign ... I am not too sure about the Buy On Board snacks that was rolled out recently, although the offer to have satay for Y class passengers if they pre-purchase them may be a good touch (not sure how many will do that - or will this dilute the J class exclusive experience). Has anyone tried this?

If only the onboard experience can be consistent, that would be great. I have some great flights with outstanding crew, and some average, and some just ... ah ... no need to say. On some J flights, the crew addressed me by name, other flights I would be asked. "what you want?" On one flight there was a new crew who fumbled with the service and needed help from senior crew.   

On 5/27/2019 at 5:25 PM, flee said:

Malaysia Airlines, JAL ink joint business agreement

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2019/05/27/malaysia-airlines-jal-ink-joint-business-agreement/#sDGzma9OKluJPZZH.99

Lets hope that this allows MAB to deploy their A380s to Japan more often.

JV has been approved by the regulatory authorities:

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/news-article/2019/malaysia-airlines-japan-airlines-joint-business-agreement.html

On 12/10/2019 at 9:14 PM, Lim Kar Yong said:

I would agree with you here. I quite like their recent wau campaign ... I am not too sure about the Buy On Board snacks that was rolled out recently, although the offer to have satay for Y class passengers if they pre-purchase them may be a good touch (not sure how many will do that - or will this dilute the J class exclusive experience). Has anyone tried this?

If only the onboard experience can be consistent, that would be great. I have some great flights with outstanding crew, and some average, and some just ... ah ... no need to say. On some J flights, the crew addressed me by name, other flights I would be asked. "what you want?" On one flight there was a new crew who fumbled with the service and needed help from senior crew.   

I guess the newer batch of cabin crew and newly promoted to serve J cabin are not as polished as those previous ones. As J passenger, I would like to be addressed by name. After all, I am paying like much more than normal Y ticket...Lol. 

I would like to know more of the BOB program, haven't experience it during my recent travel with them.

Seems like MH is suffering from social media meltdown due to recent delays and cancellation of KUL-NRT flight due to AOG. Mh has been busy rebooking the pax through partner airlines via PVG/HKG and some are re-routed through NRT-BKI-KUL. There will be a lot of unhappy passengers as some paid extra for exta legroom seats, worst....... you get non-BSI B737NG!  

I think it is because of 9M-MNC being out of service. Other five A380s are busy with JED and MED. Hope their service will recover soon, not a good time to AOG as it is holiday peak season.

Edited by JuliusWong

Not going to start a new topic for this but I just noticed that MH updated its app icon (at least for iOS). Looks like a winter wonderland now. As with others, I like their new marketing company. 

New winter app icon:

47A93BDB-CDA9-46DC-9AA6-F525CE1C0A89.jpeg