MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

5 hours ago, Craig said:

I have used that function during covid as well (granted they were all domestic flights then). I don't recall a huge schedule change or cancelations with MH for my post covid travels with them, so I wouldn't know. My MH experience is usually delays on the day of travel and it's too late to do anything about it. But a travel waiver is a bit different. It allows passengers to rebook themselves if they are flying on these dates, whether or not their flight is canceled/delayed. 

They would advertise 3 or 4 flights a days and cancel most of them and use a wide body. 

When you need to commute its a pain when the only flight of the day was at lunchtime or 5pm

MAG realigning future network, to issue RFP for 25 planes in 2Q24

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) plans to issue a request for proposal (RFP) for its second batch of 25 single-aisle planes in the second quarter of 2024 as the group reviews its network again due to global external changes.

The RFP was supposed to be issued in the first quarter.

Group managing director Datuk Captain Izham Ismail said the RFP announcement would be made in due time and did not disclose the aircraft type. 

Izham also said MAG expects to receive the first Airbus A330neo (new engine option) it ordered in 2022 in the third quarter of this year and three A350s for the its widebody fleet. 

He said the 20 A330neo planes are replacements while MAG has an option for another 20 widebody planes for future expansion. 

"We'll make both announcements (on narrowbody and widebody aircraft plans) together," he added.

Am not sure where he is going to pluck 3 more used a350s out there cause there is currently none only thing i can see is them getting lessor unit directly from airbus which means they will only enter in at best Q1 2027.

14 minutes ago, jahur said:

Am not sure where he is going to pluck 3 more used a350s out there cause there is currently none only thing i can see is them getting lessor unit directly from airbus which means they will only enter in at best Q1 2027.

This "senior aviation journalist"  never usually has any breaking news stories or scoops or appears to ask challenging questions. Maybe Im being unfair but having seen their online content its pretty weak.

16 minutes ago, Robert said:

This "senior aviation journalist"  never usually has any breaking news stories or scoops or appears to ask challenging questions. Maybe Im being unfair but having seen their online content its pretty weak.

News didnt even came out from aviation based news article. So expect their journalist to know airbus 787 and Boeing 350-1000ER as the go to lol.

16 minutes ago, jahur said:

Ahhh, the cats are now out of the bag. I can see them placing an order for 25 B737MAX-10 (they don't need them urgently, can wait for Boeing to get it certified) and another 15 A330-900neo, keep another 5 options. As for the three A350-900s, I am as lost as you. All pre-used A350s have all been taken up, unless there are some current operator which is not renewing lease.

20 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Ahhh, the cats are now out of the bag. I can see them placing an order for 25 B737MAX-10 (they don't need them urgently, can wait for Boeing to get it certified) and another 15 A330-900neo, keep another 5 options. As for the three A350-900s, I am as lost as you. All pre-used A350s have all been taken up, unless there are some current operator which is not renewing lease.

If they go for the max 10 then I wonder if they will fit a better cabin and use them on longer routes?

9 minutes ago, Robert said:

If they go for the max 10 then I wonder if they will fit a better cabin and use them on longer routes?

Afaik they did ordered lie flat seats but only for 10 narrowbody aircraft. Just that nobody knows whats the status of the seat order contract. 

But again end of last year the RFP was for 35 narrowbody and 10 widebody. Now on the article it seems the narrowbody got trimmed to just 25. It may be them deferring the remaining 10 to after. 

5 minutes ago, jahur said:

Afaik they did ordered lie flat seats but only for 10 narrowbody aircraft. Just that nobody knows whats the status of the seat order contract. 

But again end of last year the RFP was for 35 narrowbody and 10 widebody. Now on the article it seems the narrowbody got trimmed to just 25. It may be them deferring the remaining 10 to after. 

Maybe they are going for 25 firm order + 10 options on narrowbody. Quite possibly. I honestly don't see MH going for A321neo tbh. MH always has the "moral obligation and political duty" to maintain 'Murica and EU balance.

As for widebody, 10 firm +15 options A330-900neo as what you have stated.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I think so, something like CX's angled seat on their A321neo. It is made by Collins Aerospace Air Rest. Oman Air is currently using it on their B737max

inflight-business-c636.renditionimage.90

Cathay Pacific A321neo

B737-Max-2

Oman Air B737-MAX 8

Edited by JuliusWong

6 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

I think so, something like CX's angled life flat seat on their A321neo. It is made by  Collins Aerospace Air Rest. Oman Air is currently using it on their B737max

Those aren’t lie flats. I am thinking more in the line of Diamond Seats (found on AA’s 321T cabin) or Aero Vantage / Vantage Solo (found on B6’s Mint and SQ 7M8).

Edited by Craig