MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Interesting to see how MH going to reconfig seats on existing 359 in anticipation of probably new config for the incoming 339. We might have a denser J cabin on 359 as compared to 339 & not so much difference no of EY seats for both 359 & 339 which makes an aircraft swap more imminent depending on route's specific demands, save for LHR. 

A question for the MH experts:

Occasionally when I fly regional or domestic J the crew will address passengers by name and occasionally. In addition Enrich Platinum’s are occasionaly approached and thanked for flying irrespective of travel class.

Are crew supposed to do this or is this rare occasion a case of a proactive crew trying to offer the best service?

8 hours ago, Riza said:

Interesting to see how MH going to reconfig seats on existing 359 in anticipation of probably new config for the incoming 339. We might have a denser J cabin on 359 as compared to 339 & not so much difference no of EY seats for both 359 & 339 which makes an aircraft swap more imminent depending on route's specific demands, save for LHR. 

I suspect any A359 reconfiguration would involve the removal of the quasi first class cabin and enlarging the J cabin. They may standardise on the A339's J seats so that it is a more consistent product.

8 hours ago, Robert said:

Occasionally when I fly regional or domestic J the crew will address passengers by name and occasionally. In addition Enrich Platinum’s are occasionaly approached and thanked for flying irrespective of travel class.

Are crew supposed to do this or is this rare occasion a case of a proactive crew trying to offer the best service?

I believe there are (unwritten) policies in place for Platinums. The most consistent one I've experienced is meal choice priority in J. Beyond that, it really boils down to the mood of the crew. But I do make it a point not to expect anything extra, because it's a very slippery slope.

8 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

I believe there are (unwritten) policies in place for Platinums. The most consistent one I've experienced is meal choice priority in J. Beyond that, it really boils down to the mood of the crew. But I do make it a point not to expect anything extra, because it's a very slippery slope.

I agree with you. It's so very inconsistent and often very meh. Yesterday I was coming back from Langkawi and crew were very sour faced and unhappy looking. To make matters worse one of stewardess was wearing a strong perfume similar to Oud that was so strong and over powering that it was casuing me to sneeze. 

I also try to smile and use a please or thank you but to some you are an inconvenience. 

On 4/26/2023 at 12:07 PM, JuliusWong said:

Some tidbits from recent Townhall:

1. Capt Izham acknowledged customer service shortcomings, especially via call center. Previously I saw a tender to set up call center in Malaysia for MAG, are they bringing the call center back to our own shore?

2. Network: Increase frequencies to CGK, DPS, HKG and PVG. Grow current markets (Australia and New Zealand). New market, possibly IST. New destinations: Kolkata, Amsterdam/Paris and Karachi. Widebody to high demand routes: SIN and DAC

3. Fleet: 737 MAX arrival in July, August, October and November 2023 -> will be delayed now since Boeing halted 737max delivery again few days ago (!!)

4. Firefly: BKI hub officially opens on May 17, 2023, intra Sabah and some Sabah-Sarawak route transfers to FY, end of 2023 MH will transfer its BKI-NRT and BKI-TPE to FY, new route to 2nd tier destination in China

5. Service: New menu, buy on board meals, book online meals, MAX same cabin as refreshed NG, complimentary wifi for Enrich Plat/ Gold, MHFlex and J class, new amenity kits, blanket and pillow

Interesting time ahead......

how about KCH - SIN? i think it is the only MH flight non-KUL.

On 4/28/2023 at 7:05 PM, Robert said:

I read somewhere before, those crew especially Inflight Supervisor, Chief Crew or  Leading Crew (whichever highest ranking in the flight) are supposed to greet Enrich Platinum or OW Emerald personally as "soft touch" entitlement, same goes to other OW airlines. Unless MH or OW has revised their policies.......

On 4/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, Robert said:

I agree with you. It's so very inconsistent and often very meh. Yesterday I was coming back from Langkawi and crew were very sour faced and unhappy looking. To make matters worse one of stewardess was wearing a strong perfume similar to Oud that was so strong and over powering that it was casuing me to sneeze. 

I also try to smile and use a please or thank you but to some you are an inconvenience. 

Not to be the devil advocate here, but you may drop MH a feedback email, I was told such feedback will go into their personnel file. Guess who will be next in the chopping block when layoff (God forbids) comes. 

FlyDubai unveiled new business class suites

https://www.thenationalnews.com/travel/2023/05/01/flydubais-new-business-class-suites-unveiled/

https://news.flydubai.com/flydubai-launches-a-premium-business-class-experience-the-business-suite

flydubai launches a Premium Business Class Experience, “The Business Suite”

Manufactured by: Safran Seats
Seat Model: VUE
Designed by: JPA Design
Description: Enclosed suite with lie-flat seat, privacy door and direct aisle access
Technical Specification:
• Width when seated: 20.4 inches
• Width in bed mode: 23.8 inches
• Bed length: 75 inches
Features:
• Electronically dimmable windows
• Wireless charging
• Power ribbon featuring AC, USB A and USB C outlets
• Enclosed stowage
• Ambient lighting
• Vanity mirror
• Reading light
• 17.3” 4K IFE display, Bluetooth headphone pairing
Cabin layout: 1-1

Malaysia Airlines, can we have this? One can dream, right?

On 4/28/2023 at 7:05 PM, Robert said:

I say it's a crew situation. Some old timers will remember everything from the golden years and some younger ones may need a bit of fine tuning. I've been personally greeted as a OWE on some regional flights irrespective of class like you (and sometimes you get stares from your seat neighbor why is the IFS greeting you personally by name) and a thank you/goodbye at the door by name too. Sometimes they ask if you want anything extra with your meal (e.g. they might be able to sneak a bottle of sparkling water for you and they gave me enough peanut bags to feed a village during the pandemic). I've always been greeted personally by name for medium/long haul.

7 hours ago, Craig said:

I say it's a crew situation. Some old timers will remember everything from the golden years and some younger ones may need a bit of fine tuning. I've been personally greeted as a OWE on some regional flights irrespective of class like you (and sometimes you get stares from your seat neighbor why is the IFS greeting you personally by name) and a thank you/goodbye at the door by name too. Sometimes they ask if you want anything extra with your meal (e.g. they might be able to sneak a bottle of sparkling water for you and they gave me enough peanut bags to feed a village during the pandemic). I've always been greeted personally by name for medium/long haul.

Yes, and it's a similar story on other OW airlines. I highly doubt there's such thing as a "OW policy" on greeting elites...

The only airline I've experienced that consistently greets OWEs is CX. JL/QF/QR - unlikely, but there may be subtle differences. BA only greets its own Golds, but some crew do give OWEs meal choice priority in J. As for AA, they can't give two hoots about who you are, except maybe if you're a CK :D

12 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

FlyDubai unveiled new business class suites

https://www.thenationalnews.com/travel/2023/05/01/flydubais-new-business-class-suites-unveiled/

https://news.flydubai.com/flydubai-launches-a-premium-business-class-experience-the-business-suite

flydubai launches a Premium Business Class Experience, “The Business Suite”

Manufactured by: Safran Seats
Seat Model: VUE
Designed by: JPA Design
Description: Enclosed suite with lie-flat seat, privacy door and direct aisle access
Technical Specification:
• Width when seated: 20.4 inches
• Width in bed mode: 23.8 inches
• Bed length: 75 inches
Features:
• Electronically dimmable windows
• Wireless charging
• Power ribbon featuring AC, USB A and USB C outlets
• Enclosed stowage
• Ambient lighting
• Vanity mirror
• Reading light
• 17.3” 4K IFE display, Bluetooth headphone pairing
Cabin layout: 1-1

Malaysia Airlines, can we have this? One can dream, right?

We can dream :)

14 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

I read somewhere before, those crew especially Inflight Supervisor, Chief Crew or  Leading Crew (whichever highest ranking in the flight) are supposed to greet Enrich Platinum or OW Emerald personally as "soft touch" entitlement, same goes to other OW airlines. Unless MH or OW has revised their policies.......

Not to be the devil advocate here, but you may drop MH a feedback email, I was told such feedback will go into their personnel file. Guess who will be next in the chopping block when layoff (God forbids) comes. 

The only email I know is the enrich email address or the alleged email ID of the CEO which can found be on various sites. Any other suggested email ID's?

11 hours ago, Robert said:

The only email I know is the enrich email address or the alleged email ID of the CEO which can found be on various sites. Any other suggested email ID's?

Opss, sorry. It is an online form now: https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/askmh/contact-us-form.html

They used to run an email: customer@malaysiaairlines.com, it has since been discontinued.

11 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

As for AA, they can't give two hoots about who you are, except maybe if you're a CK :D

Didn't know Air Asia has elite tiers 

On 5/3/2023 at 10:19 AM, Craig said:

Didn't know Air Asia has elite tiers 

I think Chris meant American Airlines.

But AirAsia (AK) does have tiers: https://support.airasia.com/s/article/Rewards-Thailand-AirAsia-Freedom-Flyer-Programme?language=en_GB

I've been Black since it came out, but the only perk I see is always ZONE 1 boarding (they used to allocate actual seats in Zone 1, but not anymore so I could be last row but still printed Zone 1 to have priority boarding) and free check in at counter.

Just want to say I've flown 4x in recent weeks for Raya and a short BKK trip. Good experience in general and service top notch.

The KUL-BKK sector was particularly good and I'm not joking when I say the omelette breakfast was a 10/10 for me :D

I hate to compare, but AK has just been so disastrous for me lately that maybe the slight improvement from MH was just felt much more.

6 hours ago, jani said:

I hate to compare, but AK has just been so disastrous for me lately that maybe the slight improvement from MH was just felt much more.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king 😬 Pretty much all of Malaysia's carriers are low-cost. Why can't we be Taiwan with 3 full service carriers instead 😬

Btw, MH should take a look at MyAirline's social and marketing team. They are doing a fantastic job. They really know how to market new routes and their products. 

Sadly MH is moving back to Singapore Changi T2 w.e.f. 23/05/23.

If you want to use a nice lounge then you have to and from T1.

Will be a pain having to go to/from T1 to use the Qantas First

https://mainlymiles.com/2023/05/12/changi-airport-t2-fully-reopening-in-october-malaysia-airlines-returning-from-23-may/?fbclid=IwAR3vJ7_V7qsuGFqBiwv52B4wwguOpmDtseOuS6pRpk1iGbxRoHyLWpq1ZmA

On 5/9/2023 at 8:37 PM, Craig said:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king 😬 Pretty much all of Malaysia's carriers are low-cost. Why can't we be Taiwan with 3 full service carriers instead 😬

Btw, MH should take a look at MyAirline's social and marketing team. They are doing a fantastic job. They really know how to market new routes and their products. 

You only need to look at our GDP per capita to realise that most Malaysians cannot afford to fly and pay the fares of FSCs like Starlux, China Airlines or EVA.  Only a select few are able to use the ME3 and SQ. So any FSC in Malaysia will have a very small market - this will not be sustainable.

MH is like the civil service - tidak apa attitude prevails from top to bottom. MyAirline is not a government sponsored airline - they have to work for their keep!

3 hours ago, flee said:

You only need to look at our GDP per capita to realise that most Malaysians cannot afford to fly and pay the fares of FSCs like Starlux, China Airlines or EVA.  Only a select few are able to use the ME3 and SQ. So any FSC in Malaysia will have a very small market - this will not be sustainable.

I don't know if GDP per capita is a reliable factor to determine the number of full service carriers in a country. Vietnam has less than half of Malaysia's GDP per capita but yet VN has 2 full service carriers. Taiwan isn't exactly known as a high yielding destination. In fact it's the opposite - Taiwan has been well-known as a low-yield destination for most airlines. 

17 minutes ago, Craig said:

I don't know if GDP per capita is a reliable factor to determine the number of full service carriers in a country. Vietnam has less than half of Malaysia's GDP per capita but yet VN has 2 full service carriers. Taiwan isn't exactly known as a high yielding destination. In fact it's the opposite - Taiwan has been well-known as a low-yield destination for most airlines. 

Malaysians may not spend that much on air travel, but my guess is perhaps they splurge most of their money on the ground (i.e. shopping and dining when travelling).

7 hours ago, flee said:

MH is like the civil service - tidak apa attitude prevails from top to bottom. MyAirline is not a government sponsored airline - they have to work for their keep!

Is it really that simple? There are plenty of countries with very high GDPs per capita that don’t have large homegrown FSCs. Ireland for example is one of the richest countries in the world (at least on paper) yet they don’t even have a true FSC. Turkey isn’t really any richer than Malaysia but their airline is massive. Why is that?

11 hours ago, Alif A. F. said:

Malaysians may not spend that much on air travel, but my guess is perhaps they splurge most of their money on the ground (i.e. shopping and dining when travelling).

Because a 10k flight last 24 hours on Insta where as a 30k bag lasts a lifetime on Insta 

On 5/13/2023 at 1:23 AM, Chris Tan said:

Is it really that simple? There are plenty of countries with very high GDPs per capita that don’t have large homegrown FSCs. Ireland for example is one of the richest countries in the world (at least on paper) yet they don’t even have a true FSC. Turkey isn’t really any richer than Malaysia but their airline is massive. Why is that?

Turkey has close to 3x our population and geographically advantageous being a super connector hub between east and west. Hence FSC model works well. MH is squeezed between highly popular tourist destination up north and an economic powerhouse down south. Despite MH having its own troubles within the company, KUL by itself is having a lot of disadvantages. Having far less foreign FSC  coming to Malaysia by itself tells you all the handicaps MH is facing to drive premium traffic into the country. This is why at times MH is forced to "downgrade" offering to meet demand. If one would notice even Malindo is slowly becoming LCC. The game is different between one region to another.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/location/malaysia-airlines-aims-begin-narrowbody-competition-q4

ISTANBUL—Malaysia Airlines intends to start a selection campaign later this year to cover the next stage of its narrowbody replacement needs, and the carrier is also looking to boost its widebody fleet.

The airline is likely to request proposals from manufacturers in the fourth quarter, Malaysia Airlines CEO Izham Ismail told Aviation Daily at the IATA AGM on June 5. It will seek board approval for this step in August.

If the board approves, the carrier could place an order within 12 months of the start of the selection campaign, Izham said. The airline would ideally like deliveries to begin in 2025, although realistically it may have to wait until 2026-27, he said.

Malaysia Airlines currently has 48 Boeing 737s in its fleet. It has existing orders for 25 737 MAXs to handle the first part of its fleet replacement.

The next order will be aimed at the second half of the narrowbody replacement. Both manufacturers and a range of types will be considered, including regional jets.

Meanwhile, the deliveries of the existing MAX orders have been delayed. The first of these is now expected in August, versus the previous target of May, Izham said. Malaysia Airlines expects to receive four MAXs by the end of this year.

The airline is planning to extend leases on some of its current 737s to cover for MAX delivery delays.

Malaysia Airlines is also looking to expand and refresh its widebody fleet. The carrier is seeking to lease another four Airbus A350-900s, which would be in addition to the six A350s it already operates, Izham said. The carrier would like to introduce them as soon as possible.

The airline is due to begin receiving its first A330neos in the third quarter of this year. These will be for replacement of the airline’s current A330 fleet.