MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

I was recently on a KUL-Australia redeye and I was told that it's their policy to not turn the cabin lights off (even in J cabin)? It was only dimmed to the lowest setting because of rampant theft in cabin (according to the cabin crew, they are now in "code red"). I can't imagine I am the only passenger unhappy that I can't sleep on a flight that's only 8 hours long with cabin lights not fully turn off?

On 2/24/2023 at 7:23 PM, Riza said:

With the impending removal of BNE from MH's network starting NS2023 schedule which to start next month, does MH have other destination to deploy the freed-up 333?

More importantly, are they going to use that capacity to a different AU port. The AU seat allocation is almost exhausted. With greater China re-opening, I am curious if they have enough planes for a 1x 330 to HKG, PVG, PKX. HKG (MH 72/73) atm is a mix 330/738 once a day where as CX is doing it 2x with 330 (regional).

From observations, some stations that saw upgrades to 333 includes HÀN, SGN, MNL & DAC. Dont know if the equipment change is more dedicated to cargo or pax or both but I bet for DAC is for both.

Air Japan, ANA All Nippon Airlines's new long haul low cost arm, unveiled its products few days ago. https://www.flyairjapan.com/en/service/event

All economy class with 324 seats on B787s with 32" seat pitch and will commence flight in February 2024 to Southeast Asia and expand its network.

They have also opted for Z110i Economy seat from Safran, however theirs come with headrest.

Photograph showing side view of seat. Passengers can enjoy a spacious seat pitch.

air-japan-cam-4-w768@2x.jpg

air-japan-cam-15a-w2500@2x.jpg

Edited by JuliusWong

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

Air Japan, ANA All Nippon Airlines's new long haul low cost arm, unveiled its products few days ago. https://www.flyairjapan.com/en/service/event

All economy class with 324 seats on B787s with 32" seat pitch and will commence flight in February 2024 to Southeast Asia and expand its network.

They have also opted for Z110i Economy seat from Safran, however theirs come with headrest.

Photograph showing side view of seat. Passengers can enjoy a spacious seat pitch.

air-japan-cam-4-w768@2x.jpg

air-japan-cam-15a-w2500@2x.jpg

For me, the headrests do make a huge difference especially for flights longer than 3 hrs. 

2 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Does MH plan on using these seats, or...?

2 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

Does MH plan on using these seats, or...?

Yes, MAB uses the same Z110i for their refurbished MH and FY B737-800NG. Only difference is MAB did not opt for the headrest for both MH and FY.

220721-malaysia-airlines-737-800-NG-cabi

220721-malaysia-airlines-737-800-NG-econ

DSC05018.jpg

DSC05053-1280x1479.jpg?is-pending-load=1

3 hours ago, Lim Kar Yong said:

For me, the headrests do make a huge difference especially for flights longer than 3 hrs. 

Yes indeed, even for a short two hours flight. Some passengers would love to take a short nap, those "wing" headrest would have come in handy.

For me legroom is also a must. Suffered inside the ex air berlin a332 on a 2 hour flight. Did not appreciate having both my knees against the front seat lol. Imagine taking that horribly awful seat to auckland on economy. Even the express bus i took in my younger days was not like that.

Edited by jahur

1 hour ago, jahur said:

For me legroom is also a must. Suffered inside the ex air berlin a332 on a 2 hour flight. Did not appreciate having both my knees against the front seat lol. Imagine taking that horribly awful seat to auckland on economy. Even the express bus i took in my younger days was not like that.

LOL, airberlin Y class on A330-223 seat pitch is 30", Y+ 36" and J 60".

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

LOL, airberlin Y class on A330-223 seat pitch is 30", Y+ 36" and J 60".

The thing is 30" on the 738 and even maswings atr72 was not that tight. Either some row of the seats are not actually purr 30inches for the a332. The seat i sat on was row 38.

I've been looking around but I still can't find an official release that MH firmed up its 339 orders 😅 Or was it just done under the radar? With the additional ~850 nm (1,584 km) range, will this be sufficient for AKL (as in operate with full cargo and pax capacity)? 

37 minutes ago, jahur said:

The thing is 30" on the 738 and even maswings atr72 was not that tight. Either some row of the seats are not actually purr 30inches for the a332. The seat i sat on was row 38.

I remember they have slightly different configurations for different A332s - but yeah, Y seats on the 332s aren't great. Those pax whose plane got swapped to 359/333 got lucky. 

19 minutes ago, Craig said:

I've been looking around but I still can't find an official release that MH firmed up its 339 orders 😅 Or was it just done under the radar? With the additional ~850 nm (1,584 km) range, will this be sufficient for AKL (as in operate with full cargo and pax capacity)? 

A330neo that mh is configuring should be standard rated for nearly 12.5hours(11hour sectors not including the extra fuel for holding diverting alt contingency). 

Kul-Akl ranges from 9hour 10minutes fastest to 11hour 40minute longest due to head/tailwind condition. That's the reason MH load restricted(nearly 30seate blocked with no passenger) the a330-300 initially before handing it to the a330-200/a350 for the auckland sectors. The a330-200 comes with one extra fuel tanks standard equipped. 

Technically a330neo suits AKL more economically over the a350. It is not a very premium segment when compared to NRT/LHR/HND i last heard.

Edited by jahur

2 hours ago, Craig said:

I think this may be due to the more complex nature of the transaction - see https://www.avolon.aero/newsroom-and-thoughts/avlon-agrees-transaction-for-20-a330neo-aircraft-with-malaysia-aviation-group

10 aircraft have already been ordered by Avolon while the second lot of 10 will be ordered by MAG and a sale and leaseback will be done with Avolon. This order should be for the final lot of aircraft to be delivered - maybe in 3 or 4 years. As such, they can take their time to close the deal. Perhaps we may see some signing at the LIMA or Paris Air Show this year?

2 hours ago, jahur said:

Technically a330neo suits AKL more economically over the a350. It is not a very premium segment when compared to NRT/LHR/HND i last heard.

Yes, with 251t MTOW, they can carry a fair bit of cargo - I think MH's A333s may only have around 230-240t MTOW, so the A339 will give them a lot more flexibility on the KUL-AKL as well as the NE Asia sectors. And it can even fill in for the A359 to LHR, if required.

12 hours ago, flee said:

Yes, with 251t MTOW, they can carry a fair bit of cargo - I think MH's A333s may only have around 230-240t MTOW, so the A339 will give them a lot more flexibility on the KUL-AKL as well as the NE Asia sectors. And it can even fill in for the A359 to LHR, if required.

All of mh a333 have the same max take off weight of 233 tonnes. For the ex airberlin here comes the rojak MTU MTV are 230tonnes MTW to MTZ are 233 tonnes. We can see the a332 has near same take off weight as the a333 with the benefit of an extra fuel tank and still carries the similar passengers without any penalty. 

Looking at the equipment chart 6 a332 have nearly 4 different equipment fitting its very messy how Air Berlin operates. Stuff like oxygen mask time limits differ, standby instrument model differ, weather radar model, safety equipment location, etc.. one has to constantly be aware which a332 they're in and the differences it has over the others.

Meanwhile Airasia x a333s have higher mtow of 235tonnes and some having 238tonnes. 

Edited by jahur

15 hours ago, jahur said:

Nope. I don't believe AKL is premium heavy. MH's 359/333 has approximately the same number of total seats but I can see why they are sending the 359s to NRT/HND (but NH/JL aren't exactly sending their premium heavy aircraft here either). The current 359s are probably too premium heavy for destinations like AMS too if they reopen it. Which makes me wonder if MH plans to have 2 different configurations for the 330NEO - one slightly more premium heavy frames for destinations like TYO/MEL/SYD and one slightly less premium version for AKL/PKX etc. for destinations where the 359 range are not required.

13 hours ago, flee said:

Thank you.

13 hours ago, flee said:

And it can even fill in for the A359 to LHR, if required.

I think MH needs more capacity to LHR, not less.

18 hours ago, jahur said:

I think it felt very narrow and tight because the seats were from last generation, the lower bar of the seat is too thick taking up much of the seat pitch. One of the reasons why the newer generation Y seats are iron-board thin or little to virtually no padding to allow more leg space and easier maintenance. 30" for a premium airlines is really no-no IMO, the least they should go should be 32", oh well airberlin was half premium, half LCC any way. I missed those days when MH had 34" on their B772ER! The longest/widest Y seat pitch in the industry.

Kuwait Airways announces code-sharing agreement with Malaysia Airlines

Kuwait Airways partnership with Malaysian Airline enables us to jointly offer operations to serve our passengers expanded connectivity to Asia Pacific, Australia and New Zealand from Kuwait via Kuala Lumpur to major cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Auckland, Tokyo, Taipei, Seoul, and Singapore. In addition to popular tourist destinations within Malaysia.

Time for Malaysia Airlines to get B787-9/10 or more A350-900/1000 to cater to the crowd. One can dream....

6 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Time for Malaysia Airlines to get B787-9/10 or more A350-900/1000 to cater to the crowd. One can dream....

KU is tiny. But I suppose it's flattering they chose MH...

7 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

KU is tiny. But I suppose it's flattering they chose MH...

If it helps to fill up MH/KU seats, why not? With the inclusion of KU, MH is now in codesharing/interline agreement with AT, EK, QR, WY, SV and TK, more code sharing ME partners than what SQ/TG/BI currently offers. MH got their Europe and Africa continents well covered, from top Scandinavian countries till end South Africa. Plus, KU is currently operating a very young fleet A320ceo (progressively being replaced)/A320neo/A321neo/A332/A338/B77W. Incoming are A321neo/A321neoLR/A339/A359.

2 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

If it helps to fill up MH/KU seats, why not? With the inclusion of KU, MH is now in codesharing/interline agreement with AT, EK, QR, WY, SV and TK, more code sharing ME partners than what SQ/TG/BI currently offers. MH got their Europe and Africa continents well covered, from top Scandinavian countries till end South Africa. Plus, KU is currently operating a very young fleet A320ceo (progressively being replaced)/A320neo/A321neo/A332/A338/B77W. Incoming are A321neo/A321neoLR/A339/A359.

MH will soon be a virtual airline. Just selling its code on other airlines' metal 😬 Just like how JetBlue "flies" into KL and Bali.

18 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Kuwait Airways partnership with Malaysian Airline enables us to jointly offer operations to serve our passengers expanded connectivity to Asia Pacific, Australia and New Zealand from Kuwait via Kuala Lumpur to major cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Auckland, Tokyo, Taipei, Seoul, and Singapore. In addition to popular tourist destinations within Malaysia.

All nice but with 3 weekly flights and rather odd arrival/departure time (i.e. long layovers), I am not sure passengers are that keen to take KU-MH combo. MH's 359 shares almost the same total capacity as the 333, just that the 359 is more premium heavy.

Pakistan Airlines and MH also signed a SPA - again, nice but rather odd flight schedule. I guess every bit helps.

Let's see where the money goes. New artwork for the lounge or some improvement on board/ground? Or new planes?

Khazanah Nasional Bhd today said it will continue to support Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB) for the next two years even though the national carrier has seen its cash flow in the black for the first time since the Covid-19 pandemic.

Khazanah managing director Datuk Amirul Feisal Wan Zahir is hopeful the airline can continue improving its business practices and prioritise customers moving forward...

He added that the airline has used RM1.3 billion so far, from the total RM3.6 billion in new capital it was awarded back in 2021.

Edited by Craig

11 hours ago, Craig said:

MH will soon be a virtual airline. Just selling its code on other airlines' metal 😬 Just like how JetBlue "flies" into KL and Bali.

All nice but with 3 weekly flights and rather odd arrival/departure time (i.e. long layovers), I am not sure passengers are that keen to take KU-MH combo. MH's 359 shares almost the same total capacity as the 333, just that the 359 is more premium heavy.

Pakistan Airlines and MH also signed a SPA - again, nice but rather odd flight schedule. I guess every bit helps.

I recall before MH joined OW, their route map in the inflight magazine was probably the most extensive of any airline... because they included their interline partners' routes :D

I'd be surprised if this KU codeshare puts a dent on spare capacity, but I suppose even the odd few here and there is better than nothing... No need to rush to order 35Ks for this.