MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

18 minutes ago, flee said:

Recent history that led to the privatisation of Malaysia Airlines Berhad has shown that a vast part of its international network was unprofitable. Initially that network was trimmed but it came as a surprise to many here that even services to CDG and FRA are unprofitable and only LHR remained viable.

The european market in msia is on the downtrend to a point British Airways, Lufthansa and Air France have exited KUL. Most funny was Air france switching multiple different cabin configured b777s to KL and still did not work then finally saying screw it. This was after the period where the msian gov switched most of the tourism and trade focus towards China. Eu based carriers leaving and u have multiple airlines from China establishing flights with empty business classes while MAS and airasia were asked to focus there except it not being beneficial to MH mostly. 

We only have KLM soldiering on now.  

Edited by jahur

7 hours ago, jahur said:

The european market in msia is on the downtrend to a point British Airways, Lufthansa and Air France have exited KUL. Most funny was Air france switching multiple different cabin configured b777s to KL and still did not work then finally saying screw it. This was after the period where the msian gov switched most of the tourism and trade focus towards China. Eu based carriers leaving and u have multiple airlines from China establishing flights with empty business classes while MAS and airasia were asked to focus there except it not being beneficial to MH mostly. 

If it isn't for Shell business and travellers to Indonesia vv. KLM would also have been long gone. 

The downward spiral of political, socio-economic nee the business environment in Malaysia over the past twenty years essentially have killed off any potential return plan for those European airlines. Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore grew much more relevant, receiving multiple new flight and players into their market. 

8 hours ago, jahur said:

We used to have 40 nuri helicopters. The gov ordered 24 puma for the air force without taking account to end users recommendation which were either the s-70 blackhawk or s-92 which cost 1/4 of the puma. Fast forward to today only 12 puma delivered as the gov cancelled the remaining 12 after worldwide grounding. Among our commercial casualty were MHS and Awan inspirasi as they have no replacement heli and lost the PETRONAS contracts due to association to the helicopters. Their helicopters were all bundled gov to gov trades with the french along with the air forces. How bad it turned out 

Now the gov so called band aid involves leasing 6 aw-139s and another 6 more currently on tender lookout. Problem these aw-139 do not even have the underslung load capability of the puma and Nuri. The only good signs was the gov did not sign RAFALE and Eurofighter for the MRCA fighters which is good. Would you imagine a 2005 circa european based fighters being obsolete now compared to some random mid 1980s fa-18 hornet that is upgraded. That is the case with most of the podcast interviews with the french air force pilots and engineers. They say the french make good flashy equipment that do not last beyond a decade.

Suffice to say French doesn't know how to build anything affordable that last long. Even Airbus airframes have low residual values, not matter which aircraft type. LOL....

11 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Suffice to say French doesn't know how to build anything affordable that last long. Even Airbus airframes have low residual values, not matter which aircraft type. LOL....

The only thing is the french were very accommodative towards ASEAN. Multiple manufacturing and job creation offsets and potential discount bundle purchase of other product that may involve military and commercial procurement. 

Then you look at America its mostly "take it or leave it" unless you're a very close ally. Then even military spec purchases require congress approval something DR.M was not happy when it comes to the hornets initial specs given. No side income gig for our ministers circle is also a major turnoff when dealing with them. 

But then there's the issue most french deals have quite high forms of corruption involve.

India's Rafale procurement is now a court case(they've even selected Rafale over India Navy's requested Superhornet and now they cant adequately park the rafale on the carriers as this fighter cannot fold its wings).

Airbus cbt issue that has dragged AirAsia's Tony Fernandes along regarding unauthorized sponsorship.

A330+rolls royce illegal commission towards airline execs in ASEAN(lucky MH was not involved),

Scorpene subs cbt involving multiple court cases(Najib was lucky his was an earlier purchase).  

Then our 6 french gowind ships that had design issues that did not meet Navy's requirement. 

Qatar QC issue with the a350.

Only sad part is MH and Malaysia would be tightly tied towards french. Since the other has little to no accommodative stance to Malaysia. Only thing is Malaysia able to afford renewing french product consistently. Even the atr72-500 malaysia thought of using it for 30years when it should be replaced at age 10. 

Edited by jahur

22 hours ago, jahur said:

To be fair, BA only canceled KUL during the covid pandemic although BA switched from worldwide crew to mixed crew (cheaper cost) later. If I am not mistaken, AF was only 3 weekly to KUL - not the cheapest to operate (for crew and aircraft wise). LH was initially via BKK and then nonstop to KUL with onward flight to CGK (both aren't daily. BKK is at least daily but 4x to KUL and 3x to SGN, so it's still technically daily to BKK [crew wise]). LH's KUL was 4 weekly with onward flight to CGK. Demand is there for both FR/DE-MY, but the price is not there to make it successful 🤣

Let's see how long KL will last, especially with the 3x weekly AMS-KUL-CGK planned for NS23 - this seems like a one week trip for the crew! KL seems to be able to operate these triangle flights or stopover flights around the world with less than daily frequency.

MH also need to start offering more connections beyond KUL for these European carriers. One of the reasons why SIN is so successful is because of SQ's onward connections. LH failed because there was no beyond connection at KUL other than domestic destinations. YIA/PKU/SUB are great secondary destinations but the timing is just bad other than connection to/from Middle East. SUB is just bad - probably only HND/SYD makes the connection.

We are losing out to our neighbors from regional carriers. IIRC, QF serves all our major neighbors except us and ironically, it was QF who sponsored MH into OW. Every major SE country managed to get 2 if not more daytime slots at HND except us (and we have probably the least JP traffic amongst all).

22 hours ago, jahur said:

We used to have 40 nuri helicopters. The gov ordered 24 puma for the air force without taking account to end users recommendation which were either the s-70 blackhawk or s-92 which cost 1/4 of the puma. Fast forward to today only 12 puma delivered as the gov cancelled the remaining 12 after worldwide grounding. Among our commercial casualty were MHS and Awan inspirasi as they have no replacement heli and lost the PETRONAS contracts due to association to the helicopters. Their helicopters were all bundled gov to gov trades with the french along with the air forces. How bad it turned out 

Now the gov so called band aid involves leasing 6 aw-139s and another 6 more currently on tender lookout. Problem these aw-139 do not even have the underslung load capability of the puma and Nuri. The only good signs was the gov did not sign RAFALE and Eurofighter for the MRCA fighters which is good. Would you imagine a 2005 circa european based fighters being obsolete now compared to some random mid 1980s fa-18 hornet that is upgraded. That is the case with most of the podcast interviews with the french air force pilots and engineers. They say the french make good flashy equipment that do not last beyond a decade.

Back to topic msia's travel pattern has changed. Not more than 40% vying for direct flights now citing cost as the main issue. If MH wants to retain its premium outlook it needs high paying passengers which Malaysia lacks and a strong ringgit currency and corporate background. Former passengers who would pay large buck have fled due to MH poor product. Msia gov could've put effort in attracting but they've put most of it on the China basket which does not benefit full service carriers. Even our food is not widely known compared to viet, Thai and Indon and is often mistaken as Singaporean. Our airlines price have gone up is just a poor attempt of inflation cover without solving the actual problems being yield. Its all volume sales now. 

Good to know about our military. 

It's a chicken and egg scenario with MH? Put in a premium product but they are afraid no one will pay for the premium. Put in a cheap product and no one will pay a premium for it. I am not expecting JL's Sky Suite but again, something like all aisle access for business isn't groundbreaking. Personally, I prefer a better bed than all-aisle access (e.g. TK's 777/333 is way ahead of TK's 789/359) but I understand I am a minority here. But MH's current J isn't like TK's 777 nor does it has all aisle access.

14 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

The downward spiral of political, socio-economic nee the business environment in Malaysia over the past twenty years essentially have killed off any potential return plan for those European airlines. Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore grew much more relevant, receiving multiple new flight and players into their market. 

Funny you mentioned downward spiral of political environment. If anything, this recently concluded election has shown that Malaysia is moving towards a mature democracy. Thailand, Vietnam certainly do not have a mature let alone a democratic government. Singapore on the other hand is definitely not democratic (democratic in name). Malaysia is still the most democratic country amongst all the countries you listed by a far margin and is the 4th most democratic country in Asia, if you can believe it.

3 hours ago, jahur said:

Only sad part is MH and Malaysia would be tightly tied towards french. Since the other has little to no accommodative stance to Malaysia. Only thing is Malaysia able to afford renewing french product consistently. Even the atr72-500 malaysia thought of using it for 30years when it should be replaced at age 10. 

I certainly hope they have some plan for the ATR72. I flew with them a few times - they seem fine. But that's me as a passenger, not from the operator perspective. 

Craig, I think you hit the nail on the head. Instead of competing with the other European careers, MH could have gone into cooperation with them like they did with KL. I know AF was never keen for MH cooperation … and QF seems to be ignoring malaysia selectively! 

connections beyond KUL is paltry compared to what SQ is offering. We missed out by giving everything up in europe to EK (who took out a decent competitor on the kangaroo route).

I hope KL continues to make KUL work. Disappointing to hear about the 3 weekly summer flights!! 
I think from October it’s back to daily KL 809/810.

Edited by Izanee

Oh and don't forget that QF at one point wanted to start an offshoot here at KUL in 2011 and yet they ignore Malaysia altogether despite MH having multiple flights into Australian ports daily! 😉

Oh yeah, of course I remember that saga! In the end QF gave up on Malaysia and decided to keep investing in SIN. until we can move forward economically, get out of the middle income trap, and have a better exchange rate.. I suspect we won’t be able to get the premium traffic that is required for these foreign airlines to come here! 

it’s a bit if and a big ask!!

On 12/19/2022 at 2:06 PM, Craig said:

To be fair, BA only canceled KUL during the covid pandemic although BA switched from worldwide crew to mixed crew (cheaper cost) later. If I am not mistaken, AF was only 3 weekly to KUL - not the cheapest to operate (for crew and aircraft wise). 

I think announced they were suspending services before the pandemic but restarted a 4X weekly service during the pandemic.

See: https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2020/10/629397/after-6-month-pause-british-airways-resumes-flights-kl

On 12/20/2022 at 9:49 AM, kandiah k said:

Oh and don't forget that QF at one point wanted to start an offshoot here at KUL in 2011 and yet they ignore Malaysia altogether despite MH having multiple flights into Australian ports daily! 😉

That's the problem 😂 We have too much flights to AU. QF needs to compete with the likes of OD, MH, and D7/AK. They need a strong outbound traffic from Australia to sustain KUL flights because outbound from KUL will most likely be flying MY based carriers. Or MH needs to provide feed to QF (should they ever come into an agreement) for beyond KUL traffic once passengers arrive at KUL. KUL is an easy enough airport for connection.

8 hours ago, Izanee said:

Oh yeah, of course I remember that saga! In the end QF gave up on Malaysia and decided to keep investing in SIN. until we can move forward economically, get out of the middle income trap, and have a better exchange rate.. I suspect we won’t be able to get the premium traffic that is required for these foreign airlines to come here! 

To be fair, AUD:MYR has always hovered between 2.90 and 3.10 90% of the time. Both MY/AU is dependent on commodities and China (more so for AU).

1 hour ago, flee said:

I think announced they were suspending services before the pandemic but restarted a 4X weekly service during the pandemic.

See: https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2020/10/629397/after-6-month-pause-british-airways-resumes-flights-kl

They probably reduced flights around Feb./March 2020 like all airlines did but they never really plan to suspend KUL. The pandemic killed it. BA nixed BKK and ICN as well (you can see what happens when there are no beyond connections available at a destination for airlines). KUL on the other hand has beyond connections for BA. But with EU-US traffic being so strong, it's probably more profitable to use the limited planes/crew that they have over there instead of over here. Most US destinations can be done with a simple turnaround for aircraft and 1 night rest for crew. Far East requires longer crew and aircraft sitting on the ground for longer hours.

The End of An Era......

On December 19, 2022, the last Malaysia Airlines A380-841 9M-MNF (MSN114) flew to Tarbes, France for further storage/ scrapping. The 100th-delivered A380 took off at 11:33am local time after a technical fault delayed its eventual retirement for four hours.

Video of her arrival into Tarbes: https://www.facebook.com/100039812585857/videos/pcb.847966603207085/845315676676011

Photo Credit: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225045743045111&set=pcb.6120063484673562

Flightradar24 Tracking: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9m-mnf

321119347_829609958339123_4159034442010598649_n.jpg

320793700_397855752522949_4932589992928143091_n.jpg

321012881_662092602279403_7373488312268333064_n.jpg

7 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

The End of An Era......

On December 19, 2022, the last Malaysia Airlines A380-841 9M-MNF (MSN114) flew to Tarbes, France for further storage/ scrapping. The 100th-delivered A380 took off at 11:33am local time after a technical fault delayed its eventual retirement for four hours.

Video of her arrival into Tarbes: https://www.facebook.com/100039812585857/videos/pcb.847966603207085/845315676676011

Photo Credit: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225045743045111&set=pcb.6120063484673562

Flightradar24 Tracking: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9m-mnf

Sad end to an ego trip. 

MH cannot possibly bring back the A380 without a cabin refit if it wants to be competitive. That will prove too costly and returns are still uncertain. In the end, it was the right decision to retire the fleet.

Mr Loke, ready for an incognito ride on Malaysia Airlines?

From the article

"Whenever I’ve flown TG over the past 20 years, they have never let me down. On both regional and trans-continental flights, their service is fantastic.

Their cabin crew are always attentive, gracious, and gentle in dealing with customers. The aircraft’s inflight entertainment system comes with large screens and an extensive selection of movies and such. With the same available for economy class, too.

And, the food on TG is always top notch. Let’s just say I have yet to have a bad meal with them. The best part about flying business class on TG is when you get on board, even for the short hop to Bangkok, you’ll get warm nuts."

"And, heaven forbid if they actually have enough food of your choice. Even with only eight business class seats they can’t get their act together to have enough choices for all the premium paying customers. So much for Malaysian hospitality!

Not only was there no inflight entertainment, there weren’t even portable devices made available like some airlines with older aircraft offer. Anyways, who needs an entertainment system on a flight, when we all have our own devices, right? Perhaps that’s why MH hasn’t bothered to upgrade. Or, is it simply years of mismanagement?"

Like him many are not aware how much Cash aid thai has received in a span of just 10 years lol. External IATA audit already cited Thai has taken 4.1bil usd aid in a span of 5 years from 2012 to 2017 not counting previous bailout in the early 2000s nearing 10bil usd. If the same was to be asked to be given to MH yea people will start barking. Khazanah 6bil ringgit injection post MAS to MAB is already been heavily criticized. Thai has partial leverage on EU travelers as well. Havent gotten to Thai A330 corruption cases as well lol.

Thai Airways in talks to add 20 twin-aisle jets to fleet

Meanwhile Thai with gov support and go ahead is in midst of securing 20 b787-9 to supplement its current 6 b787-8 and 2 b787-9 and to effectively retire its temporary reactivated b772s and a333s by 2025 and are talking to airbus for 4-5 extra a350s. Meanwhile over here we are scratching our heads looking for every possible nickle like beggars lol.

Edited by jahur

3 hours ago, jahur said:

Like him many are not aware how much Cash aid thai has received in a span of just 10 years lol. External IATA audit already cited Thai has taken 4.1bil usd aid in a span of 5 years from 2012 to 2017 not counting previous bailout in the early 2000s nearing 10bil usd. If the same was to be asked to be given to MH yea people will start barking. Khazanah 6bil ringgit injection post MAS to MAB is already been heavily criticized. Thai has partial leverage on EU travelers as well. Havent gotten to Thai A330 corruption cases as well lol.

Thai Airways in talks to add 20 twin-aisle jets to fleet

Meanwhile Thai with gov support and go ahead is in midst of securing 20 b787-9 to supplement its current 6 b787-8 and 2 b787-9 and to effectively retire its temporary reactivated b772s and a333s by 2025 and are talking to airbus for 4-5 extra a350s. Meanwhile over here we are scratching our heads looking for every possible nickle like beggars lol.

There maybe a parallel forum in Thailand where people are bitching about TG and where their tax money has gone 🤣 And are all the 10+ billion USD all accounted for or are there leakages somewhere 🤭? It's the same everywhere no? No one wants the government spend their tax money on things they don't use. Personally speaking, I would rather have  the government spend money on MH. It doesn't need to be a luxury carrier but decent. On time, clean cabin, decent network and decent seats.

I am more curious where the Thai government get their money from whilst we are beggars here (when comparing TG to MH). Like you said, TG has a huge presence in Europe but their fares aren't cheap either; so they aren't attracting backpackers. Even their fares ex-KUL aren't cheap where as MH ex-HKT/BKK can be reasonable.

TG, GA, MH, SA, AZ and PR belongs to same category of mismanaged airlines though. Politic matters take precedent. 

For MH, it all began in 1994 and 2001 was the downfall year.........almost three decades we are still nowhere out of the wood.

50 minutes ago, Craig said:

There maybe a parallel forum in Thailand where people are bitching about TG and where their tax money has gone 🤣 And are all the 10+ billion USD all accounted for or are there leakages somewhere 🤭? It's the same everywhere no? No one wants the government spend their tax money on things they don't use. Personally speaking, I would rather have  the government spend money on MH. It doesn't need to be a luxury carrier but decent. On time, clean cabin, decent network and decent seats.

I am more curious where the Thai government get their money from whilst we are beggars here (when comparing TG to MH). Like you said, TG has a huge presence in Europe but their fares aren't cheap either; so they aren't attracting backpackers. Even their fares ex-KUL aren't cheap where as MH ex-HKT/BKK can be reasonable.

Yes plenty of thais complaining over there. Except the gov knows TG actually brings needed folks from the Eu. Meanwhile people over here are arguing the gov and business leaders should have the best cheap, clean and lean business minded possible airline a.l.a europe/canada, But the hard product services over there are freakin horrible even with stronger buying power and currency in play with so many LCC like surprise mechanics even on full service carriers. When you have europeans flying on gulf and asian based carriers many got caught off guard by the service provided😂

Unfortunately highly doubt the gov of msia has any fund prepped to aid any of our local airline. Even gov bailout if there is its just to alleviate very small margin of the operations not for product investment. But don't forget the gov can easily prep an annual budget of 14bil RINGGIT for the Prime Minister Office a stark increase from Badawi's era of 4-5bil per year but any mention to actually flow the money towards MINDEF or airlines is a NO GO. The only gov so far very keen and committed on protecting their local airlines interest in Asean have so far been Singapore and Vietnam and they actually allow them to dictate what product investment to venture into and it has proven successful over Philippines, Indonesia, Thai, Malaysia. 

Edited by jahur

Thai govt. is well aware that TG is playing its part in Thailand's tourism industry. TG is not well managed but I think their govt. has decided to support it because they are looking at the bigger picture. Similar to why the Malaysian government is subsidising our fuel - the govt. knows it is not sustainable but cannot just withdraw it without substantial reforms. MAG is just like TG in terms of importance to the country but the difference is that funding is not forthcoming unless MAG proves its business case. So instead of intervening directly, they are allowing the management to make the changes before releasing the money. But it would seem that MAG management is taking their time ...

4 hours ago, flee said:

Thai govt. is well aware that TG is playing its part in Thailand's tourism industry. TG is not well managed but I think their govt. has decided to support it because they are looking at the bigger picture. Similar to why the Malaysian government is subsidising our fuel - the govt. knows it is not sustainable but cannot just withdraw it without substantial reforms. MAG is just like TG in terms of importance to the country but the difference is that funding is not forthcoming unless MAG proves its business case. So instead of intervening directly, they are allowing the management to make the changes before releasing the money. But it would seem that MAG management is taking their time ...

Actually Mab already has plans to execute years ago it comes to many existing issues. Same like the navy and air force. Board has a hard time convincing Khazanah and Khazanah has a hard time convincing the ministry of finance. Cabin renewal and the a330 replacement has been around since 2016 meant for immediate execution by late 2020.

Most issues GLCs have is stuff such as proposal for item A got greenlight. Goes through approval process from operations to board. Board proposes to parent company. Parent company proposes to MOF. MOF comes back with suggestions to take product C ask to give reason why product A is selected. Goes back down and goes back up and usually the Finance ministry does not budge even with so many sane evidence given and they would respond with "our suggestion is still better you have to look at the bigger picture."

But we end up with the likes of a380, puma helicopters pricing 4x over the s-70 helicopters, a400m pricing 5x more than the c130Js, earlier than expected expired french civillan radar for caam. Tumbling list of nonsense from our ministers mishandling assets for the country and flag carrier.

Now with a different gov more keen on clean balance we have situation where they would rather hold out any potential renewal or replacement even if the endusers have cash to spare or chose something very lackluster and does not meet the actual needs. Legacy assets in need of replace is being ask to extend its usage to 2035. Heck even KLIA's aerotrain has been on holding pattern since 2017 meant for late 2019 installation is now being pushed to 2025. While our neighbors are expanding and renewing rapidly signing anything asap on the spot while we are penny counting left and right and finding faults taking delivery of items that do not meet actual needs. 

Edited by jahur

51 minutes ago, jahur said:

Actually Mab already has plans to execute years ago it comes to many existing issues. Same like the navy and air force. Board has a hard time convincing Khazanah and Khazanah has a hard time convincing the ministry of finance. Cabin renewal and the a330 replacement has been around since 2016 meant for immediate execution by late 2020.

Most issues GLCs have is stuff such as proposal for item A got greenlight. Goes through approval process from operations to board. Board proposes to parent company. Parent company proposes to MOF. MOF comes back with suggestions to take product C ask to give reason why product A is selected. Goes back down and goes back up and usually the Finance ministry does not budge even with so many sane evidence given and they would respond with "our suggestion is still better you have to look at the bigger picture."

But we end up with the likes of a380, puma helicopters pricing 4x over the s-70 helicopters, a400m pricing 5x more than the c130Js, earlier than expected expired french civillan radar for caam. Tumbling list of nonsense from our ministers mishandling assets for the country and flag carrier.

Now with a different gov more keen on clean balance we have situation where they would rather hold out any potential renewal or replacement even if the endusers have cash to spare or chose something very lackluster and does not meet the actual needs. Legacy assets in need of replace is being ask to extend its usage to 2035. Heck even KLIA's aerotrain has been on holding pattern since 2017 meant for late 2019 installation is now being pushed to 2025. While our neighbors are expanding and renewing rapidly signing anything asap on the spot while we are penny counting left and right and finding faults taking delivery of items that do not meet actual needs. 

I would say both Khazanah Nasional and MAG/MAS Board for the past three decades are/were equally culpable for what happened to MH today's situation. Sometimes a bright A-stars student might not be the best in running a business. And the mess get messier when politicians are involved! 

On 12/22/2022 at 4:11 PM, jahur said:

Yes plenty of thais complaining over there. Except the gov knows TG actually brings needed folks from the Eu. Meanwhile people over here are arguing the gov and business leaders should have the best cheap, clean and lean business minded possible airline a.l.a europe/canada, But the hard product services over there are freakin horrible even with stronger buying power and currency in play with so many LCC like surprise mechanics even on full service carriers. When you have europeans flying on gulf and asian based carriers many got caught off guard by the service provided😂

Unfortunately highly doubt the gov of msia has any fund prepped to aid any of our local airline. Even gov bailout if there is its just to alleviate very small margin of the operations not for product investment. But don't forget the gov can easily prep an annual budget of 14bil RINGGIT for the Prime Minister Office a stark increase from Badawi's era of 4-5bil per year but any mention to actually flow the money towards MINDEF or airlines is a NO GO. The only gov so far very keen and committed on protecting their local airlines interest in Asean have so far been Singapore and Vietnam and they actually allow them to dictate what product investment to venture into and it has proven successful over Philippines, Indonesia, Thai, Malaysia. 

Malaysians are also enjoying government subsidized air travel from Gulf and (maybe) Turkish carriers whilst praising their services at the same time 🤣 But any Malaysian tax dollars going to rejuvenate our carrier is always shot down. Better other country's tax payers money than mine 🤣 So now we get subsidized fuel subsidy for all, cost of rice that's higher than our neighbors, very cheap (when functioning) public transport, and some third rate integrated payment system that requires people to tap their card from a car when going through a toll! 

You haven't poked into the religious department budget yet 🤭

On 12/23/2022 at 3:12 PM, jahur said:

So basically MAB was proposing 359/787 for MH with maybe same cabin layout as Qatar or JAL, but we get 339 and Ryanair/American Airlines layout instead? 🤣

4 hours ago, hizad said:

MAS needs keyboard warriors

You don't say. I know where the place to hire a few!

3 hours ago, Craig said:

Malaysians are also enjoying government subsidized air travel from Gulf and (maybe) Turkish carriers whilst praising their services at the same time 🤣 But any Malaysian tax dollars going to rejuvenate our carrier is always shot down. Better other country's tax payers money than mine 🤣 So now we get subsidized fuel subsidy for all, cost of rice that's higher than our neighbors, very cheap (when functioning) public transport, and some third rate integrated payment system that requires people to tap their card from a car when going through a toll! 

You haven't poked into the religious department budget yet 🤭

So basically MAB was proposing 359/787 for MH with maybe same cabin layout as Qatar or JAL, but we get 339 and Ryanair/American Airlines layout instead? 🤣

You don't say. I know where the place to hire a few!

Any idea of subsidies in the airline industry is greatly vile upon by everyone. But the last time American carriers put out the videos regarding the many dirt gulf carriers did to dump fares, so many people went against them instead, 😂 people just happily flying on foreign subsidized carriers like there's no level field around. Same for Msians in general. I mean people who would pay top dollar yes there others carriers that do have top class hard product but do these group warrant sufficient volume consistently for MAS to operate and maintain since there is no Gov support for such investment. Even the idea of a slightly downscale premium is not well budget by Khazanah. Economist already barking and sounding the generalized affordable LCC like air travel will be the mainstay for Malaysia and advise Khazanah no more aid for Mh to play around with.

Believe i did poked on that few pages back. The gov has many budget cut or limit like no more majlis makan makan after meetings, no gifts etc which affects the lower downline staffs more but barely affects the upper tier while quietly maintains or increases unnecessary budgeting on other departments.

Mh actually has many good plans but majority of it do not go through purely due to budget and board which the parent company does not want to provide any more extras and worse was instructed by Ministry Of Finance to stop pumping anything for investment. Public perception is one of the major issue. It always ends up going for short term cost gains with lower capital required or any discount/foc trade offs.

Edited by jahur

As long as MAS is controlled by the government, we will have this same issue every time! 
it has be run like a proper business for it to prosper I’m afraid… so sad to see it die a slow death 

I recall few weeks ago there was a big hoo-ha on Qatar Airways flying non-Q Suite B77W into some destinations, the matter will get a bit more complex.

QR will be inducting four ex-Virgin Australia (VA) B777-3ZG/ER, with their last refurbished configuration C37W24Y278.

1. VH-VPD    37938 / 756    A7-BO?
  2. VH-VPE    37939 / 764    A7-BOE
  3. VH-VPF    37940 / 801    A7-BOF 
  4. VH-VPH    37943 / 898   A7-BO?

If you would like to read up more on VA's last B77W cabin products before its retirement: https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/05/virgin-australias-refit-777-300er-ideal-longhaul-aircraft/

Virgin777300ER_seatmap_new.jpg

'The Business'

• 37 B/E Super Diamond Business suites
  • 1-2-1 configuration
  • Seat converts to a fully flat bed (80in/203cm long, 28in/71.1cm wide)
  • In-flight entertainment with 18 inch touch screen
  • USB and universal power charging point

Premium

• 24 seats
  • 2-4-2 configuration
  • 104cm (41in) seat pitch
  • 49.5cm (19.5in) seat width
  • 22.8cm (9in) recline
  • Seatback in-flight entertainment system with 26.9cm (10.6in) screen.

Economy

• 278 seats
  • 3-3-3 configuration (2-3-2 near bathrooms)
  • 81cm (32in) seat pitch
  • 47cm (18.5in) seat width
  • 15cm (6in) recline
  • Seatback in-flight entertainment system with 22.9cm (9in) screen.

On 12/24/2022 at 10:27 PM, Izanee said:

As long as MAS is controlled by the government, we will have this same issue every time! 
it has be run like a proper business for it to prosper I’m afraid… so sad to see it die a slow death 

Too many old folks around, and all are bodoh sombong. Coming January, there will be a big bomb. Insider news. All the best MH.