MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Yesterday November 28, 2022 was 9M-MNB's turn to return to Airbus. 

MSN081 has landed in Tarbes, France for further storage/ scrapping.

Three more to go: 9M-MNA (MSN078), 9M-MNE (MSN094) and 9M-MNF (MSN114)

Photo Credit: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=483745410407314&set=pcb.483745510407304

Flightradar24 Tracking: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9m-mnb

317446201_483745573740631_6655895938800905117_n.jpg

317377059_483745580407297_6103599970795722573_n.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 8:46 PM, Tom/PER said:

I think it often gets forgotten that MH’s A333’s aren’t actually that old, the first one -MTA is only a fraction over 11years old. The J product is only 6 years old and most of them have been repainted in the past 18months. 

They are the perfect workhorse for regional flights, it’s just a shame that the Y product is so dated compared to their closest competitor. 

The A332’s are a different story, but they were an opportune acquisition when they became available at short notice, with minimal expenditure on the interiors. 

I think the A333s are not that much inferior to the A339 for flights that are less than 5 hours - the only benefit MH can get out of the A339 is for longer flights and also the modern Airbus Airspace cabin. However, a big advantage of a future A339 fleet would be its ability to service the KUL-AKL route without restrictions.

Although the current A333s are not that old, the PW engines are not as good as the RR Trent 700 and may be getting expensive to maintain.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:52 PM, Craig said:

Interesting that HND/NRT flights generate that much demand right now; granted Japan recently reopened but JL/NH has been slow to restore services to Malaysia compared to other parts of SE Asia or US. JL restored daily flights but with smaller aircraft (788 instead of 789).

I would expect QR 35Ks to come at a discount? Since it's all fitted with QR's cabin and configuration. I recall TK and LH taking in SU and PR's 359s. I am curious if there are any sanctioned/canceled 359s that MH can pick up easily/for cheap. Oddly enough, those off-brand business class is better than LH/TK's original business class.

HND is popular because it is very near Tokyo - so transport is very convenient as there is no need to take express trains from Narita.

Most airlines that bought the A35K are using them as B744 or B77W replacements - I believe MH had problems filling up their B744 flights previously. Post pandemic, demand is lower and I am not sure if the A35K will be needed unless those QR NTUs are offered at very attractive discounts. MH can only probably exploit the capacity only on the LHR route in summer.

Last Monday December 5, 2022 was 9M-MNE's turn to return to Airbus. 

MSN094 has landed in Tarbes, France for further storage/ scrapping.

Two more to go: 9M-MNA (MSN078), and 9M-MNF (MSN114)

Photo Credit: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10224963215221967&set=gm.10151959612384977&idorvanity=18449814976https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=6297534410276647&set=gm.1411475969596921&idorvanity=761639111247280

Flightradar24 Tracking: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9m-mne

One of MH Engineering crew was onboard catching the dugong's journey: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10160862066219314&set=pcb.10160862066384314

317847646_10224963215181966_2414680256064284871_n.jpg

318362621_6297534573609964_8392348680237365634_n.jpg

Recently flew 9M-MSA. Didn't realize it was one of MH's refurbished 737 until check-in (and didn't realize there's more than one now other than MXV). The legroom has increased but the seats aren't comfortable at all. It's really thin and not well padded. Can't imagine 5 hours on this to PER or India! Row 4 is probably the best row (plus exits of course) in terms of legroom. New USB ports are great. Really fast charger (you'd be lucky to charge 10% more on a trans South China Sea flight on the older 737). "WiFi' only worked half of the flight and it was gone halfway so no one had anything to watch in the second half of the flight.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:33 PM, flee said:

HND is popular because it is very near Tokyo - so transport is very convenient as there is no need to take express trains from Narita.

Most airlines that bought the A35K are using them as B744 or B77W replacements - I believe MH had problems filling up their B744 flights previously. Post pandemic, demand is lower and I am not sure if the A35K will be needed unless those QR NTUs are offered at very attractive discounts. MH can only probably exploit the capacity only on the LHR route in summer.

A35Ks for LHR summer (or any Europe's major city for summer) and then switches to MEL summer. I can see it working for DOH/TYO too. MH's flights to London are doing extremely well - they are the only carrier to offer at least once daily flight between Europe and KUL (KL is not everyday and IDK if TK is considered Europe).

9 hours ago, Riza said:

Yea, those DOH flight is always full.

It's basically a wet lease in all but name. Quite handy for QR with an acute aircraft shortage, especially during the World Cup. Not so good for passengers expecting QSuites but end up with a rickety MH 333. Maybe the 35K can be a win-win after all :D

On 12/9/2022 at 3:08 AM, Chris Tan said:

It's basically a wet lease in all but name. Quite handy for QR with an acute aircraft shortage, especially during the World Cup. Not so good for passengers expecting QSuites but end up with a rickety MH 333. Maybe the 35K can be a win-win after all :D

If last minute equipment change by TG is termed as TG-ed, dont know what people call when they buy QR ticket but got on MH metal.

5 hours ago, Riza said:

If last minute equipment change by TG is termed as TG-ed, dont know what people call when they buy QR ticket but got on MH metal.

For MH-QR partnership, it is clearly stated during booking the flight will be operated by MH on behalf of QR, therefore the pax have not reason to blame QR if they end-up with MH metal if they did not read properly. If they insist in changing the operating airline after booking was done, QR will shift them to QR-operated flight, provided there are vacant seat on same day departure, otherwise the pax would need to wait for next available flight.

Yeah, I had that problem. QR told me via email and via the app that my flight would be with MH. 
I hadn’t flown MH medium haul for a long time so was happy to fly with them. The 4 abreast in the middle configuration really suited my family of 4. QR A350 from EDI was 3-3-3 which made it a big problem for my 3 year old daughter who wanted to us to sit together!

On 12/10/2022 at 2:26 AM, JuliusWong said:

For MH-QR partnership, it is clearly stated during booking the flight will be operated by MH on behalf of QR, therefore the pax have not reason to blame QR if they end-up with MH metal if they did not read properly. If they insist in changing the operating airline after booking was done, QR will shift them to QR-operated flight, provided there are vacant seat on same day departure, otherwise the pax would need to wait for next available flight.

Plenty of passengers booked before the switch happened, so it's understandable why they'd be annoyed.

I'm not aware of QR offering an unofficial same-day change - that's news to me. Is it only at KUL?

1 hour ago, Chris Tan said:

Plenty of passengers booked before the switch happened, so it's understandable why they'd be annoyed.

I'm not aware of QR offering an unofficial same-day change - that's news to me. Is it only at KUL?

The airline reserves the right to substitute the operating provider/party, aircraft type whenever necessary though, these terms are pretty much standard for all airlines. The moment we ticked on "I understand and accept all terms and conditions of sales." and clicked "Proceed with payment", we absolved the airline any responsibility in their obligation in providing us QSuite or whatever aircraft type we want to fly on. Should be thankful they did not use Privilege Style/EuroAtlantic/ HiFly or Wamos airframes, those airframes are horrible and nasty. Ok, maybe except HiFly A330neo and the retired A380.

Today December 12, 2022 was 9M-MNA's turn to return to Airbus. 

MSN078 is currently on its way to Tarbes, France for further storage/ scrapping.

319644483_10225004259488048_5145975394493895896_n.jpg

319644484_10225004259568050_8670963025619635870_n.jpg

319669297_10225004259928059_5253887135096542504_n.jpg

Photo Credit: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225004257487998&set=pcb.6095164633830114

Flightradar24 Tracking: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9m-mna#2e820955

One of MH Engineering crew shared his journey with A380, from its first acceptance till retirement today: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10226387533127623&set=pcb.10226387535407680

One more to go, the 100th A380-> 9M-MNF (MSN114)

Edited by JuliusWong

10 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

The airline reserves the right to substitute the operating provider/party, aircraft type whenever necessary though, these terms are pretty much standard for all airlines. The moment we ticked on "I understand and accept all terms and conditions of sales." and clicked "Proceed with payment", we absolved the airline any responsibility in their obligation in providing us QSuite or whatever aircraft type we want to fly on. Should be thankful they did not use Privilege Style/EuroAtlantic/ HiFly or Wamos airframes, those airframes are horrible and nasty. Ok, maybe except HiFly A330neo and the retired A380.

I'm quite aware of equipment swaps being perfectly legal (having flown TG and CX regional once or twice). That doesn't in any way lessen the disappointment of having your 5K on a QR 77P swapped for 5K on an MH 333. It might be legal, and most frequent flyers are aware of that possibility, but do it often enough and people will take their money elsewhere.

When you're paying QR prices, you expect something along the lines of QR standards -- the leased WY/CX birds are fine, for example. I'm not entirely sure how HiFly and the likes came into the picture. This is QR we're talking about, not TP or D8. QR isn't THAT desperate for planes.

You don't pay RM26 at Madam Kwan's only to be served a food court Nasi Lemak because of a kitchen issue, and told to be thankful they didn't get it from the roadside stall.

2 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

I'm quite aware of equipment swaps being perfectly legal (having flown TG and CX regional once or twice). That doesn't in any way lessen the disappointment of having your 5K on a QR 77P swapped for 5K on an MH 333. It might be legal, and most frequent flyers are aware of that possibility, but do it often enough and people will take their money elsewhere.

When you're paying QR prices, you expect something along the lines of QR standards -- the leased WY/CX birds are fine, for example. I'm not entirely sure how HiFly and the likes came into the picture. This is QR we're talking about, not TP or D8. QR isn't THAT desperate for planes.

You don't pay RM26 at Madam Kwan's only to be served a food court Nasi Lemak because of a kitchen issue, and told to be thankful they didn't get it from the roadside stall.

The fact that you are comparing a flight equipment swap (which is a much complex operation) to a meal with Mdm Kwan vs roadside meal (which they don't, they will ask you to select other things from the menu) shows you do not understand how aviation industry works. I shall leave the conversation here. 

Edited by JuliusWong

On 12/9/2022 at 3:08 AM, Chris Tan said:

That would be the irony of all ironies. MH takes the A350s that QR rejected to operate QR flights on their behalf!

Edited by flee

I just hope that comes 2023 some new widebodies will join the fleet besides the news that more and more 738 will have new config.

42 minutes ago, Riza said:

I just hope that comes 2023 some new widebodies will join the fleet besides the news that more and more 738 will have new config.

It wouldn't be possible for new widebodies to join the fleet as the A330neo is only scheduled to be delivered to MAG starting from the third quarter of 2024 through to 2028.

Deliveries from the B737max order are only due to begin in 2024.

The only expansion I can see is FY setting up BKI hub flying trunk Sabah-Sarawak and local trunk Sabah routes, and JHB and KCH being focus cities. Refurbishment of FY B737-800 fleet.

I would say 2023 would be the preparation year for the big events in 2024, two new fleets will join MAG. Perhaps MAG will decide on replacement for current fleet of ATR72s and also the rumoured new regional narrowbody aircraft next year. 

18 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

It wouldn't be possible for new widebodies to join the fleet as the A330neo is only scheduled to be delivered to MAG starting from the third quarter of 2024 through to 2028.

Deliveries from the B737max order are only due to begin in 2024.

We may expect to see the 737-8 coming in Q2 2023 though. Internal invitation for the delivery of the first aircraft already actively in circulation. Probably may use it as a trial aircraft like how Garuda did and MH back decades ago. Aircraft no 3 is due for q1 2024.

The a330neo may come by Q4 2023. As Mh was adamant on not renewing any of the current 332leases. 3 a332 already leaving q3 next year. Some of the plans if the a330neo are not delivered by then is to remove certain 332 routes temporary.

One rumor currently on about is Airbus met MAG upper folks of taking some of Qatar's leftover a359 slots. MH expressing interest on 3-5 units. Airbus has also approached BA and CX regarding this. Currently Qatar orders that are up for grab consist of 9 a350-9 and 15 a350-1000. All configured with updated winglet and improved range. Not included was also 10 optional that is currently in court dispute between airbus and the airline.

Edited by jahur

8 minutes ago, jahur said:

One rumor currently on about is Airbus met MAG upper folks of taking some of Qatar's leftover a359 slots. MH expressing interest on 3-5 units. Airbus has also approached BA and CX regarding this.

I think the non-existent fleet planning in MAG in the past decade is beginning to hurt its operational plans. It is a shame that they are not able to mount services due to lack of assets. It would be interesting to see if they opt for a few more A359s to top up their fleet. It would be good because the original lot will see the end of their leases and it is good to have some backup aircraft while deciding what to do with the original leases. It is also good to have a fleet of about 10 aircraft so that services to Japan and Oz/NZ can be permanently scheduled with A359s.

17 minutes ago, flee said:

I think the non-existent fleet planning in MAG in the past decade is beginning to hurt its operational plans. It is a shame that they are not able to mount services due to lack of assets. It would be interesting to see if they opt for a few more A359s to top up their fleet. It would be good because the original lot will see the end of their leases and it is good to have some backup aircraft while deciding what to do with the original leases. It is also good to have a fleet of about 10 aircraft so that services to Japan and Oz/NZ can be permanently scheduled with A359s.

Same planning issue when Idris Jala came in with the awful MnM cabin. Results in most of the high paying folks leaving for other flag carriers but again this is another matter whether msia does indeed have the volume to run a premium business sustainably.

So far MH's only keen to send the 350s to Narita+Haneda daily and seasonal Melbourne. The only other long haul destination considered is just AMS and thats about it. In terms of how premium the a350 is compared to the a330neo for MH, there's not much difference nowadays especially seeing how MH just tossing the same Thomson Vantage cabin on both aircrafts front end with very little difference in between. It might work for the Japan market but don't think it works anywhere else even for Melbourne unless MH really puts effort in distinguishing the cabins. NZ is predominantly tagged for 330neo as the 350 is not suited there.

Then there's fund issue. If MH puts an upgraded business class for a330neo than the previous a330s it must then prep budget to overhaul the 6 a350s as well. Dont think MH has financial strength to do this and will just order the same Thomson Vantage seat with maybe some very minor updated finish for the 330neo.

Edited by jahur

23 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

I would say 2023 would be the preparation year for the big events in 2024 ..... and also the rumoured new regional narrowbody aircraft next year

Presumably this would be in the A220 class ?

6 hours ago, flee said:

I would say the non-existent planning for their fleet kinda of save them during covid period.. Now with the travelling is back with 2023/2024 most probably be the peak point especially with China start to open again they better expediate the dellivery of a330neo and a bonus if they can get more a350, of course the funding will be major issue.