MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Has anyone tried MH Upgrade? I recently put in a bid but was unfortunately unsuccessful.

Thing is, I have another booking on the same flight on biz, and saw that there are still a significant number of empty seats. I'm not complaining, but just wondering how do they actually go about the process etc.

My wife casually said "Oh I think they just didn't want us because we have a baby" haha. Wonder if that actually DID play a role.. (We actually thought to bid because were unable to secure a bassinet seat)

7 hours ago, jani said:

Has anyone tried MH Upgrade? I recently put in a bid but was unfortunately unsuccessful.

Thing is, I have another booking on the same flight on biz, and saw that there are still a significant number of empty seats. I'm not complaining, but just wondering how do they actually go about the process etc.

My wife casually said "Oh I think they just didn't want us because we have a baby" haha. Wonder if that actually DID play a role.. (We actually thought to bid because were unable to secure a bassinet seat)

Have used a few times but its not that cheap when you compare it to J promo fares 

I usually find that if you offer a little above the minimum it will work

7 hours ago, jani said:

I did a few times got few rejections believe its hard to get acceptance with low bids nowadays. Business promo fare is cheaper though be prepared for hefty penalties and price difference charges if u plan to change flight etc.

Soruce : Bizarre Plan to Take Over MAS Shot Down

‘Bizarre’ plan to take over Malaysia Airlines shot down, say sources PUTRAJAYA: Talk that Putrajaya has shot down a high-profile conglomerate’s attempt at taking over troubled national carrier Malaysia Airlines Bhd, owned by the government’s Khazanah Nasional, has been dominating informal chats and conversations among industry leaders since last week. The merger proposal was submitted two months after Khazanah announced in October this year that its corporate restructuring plan for the airline had failed, an issue it blamed on an overabundance of players in the domestic travel market. Khazanah’s Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) fully owns Malaysia Airlines, which has reported billions of dollars in losses over the last five years.Since taking over, Khazanah has implemented controversial shake-ups that saw thousands of people losing their jobs and the resignations of two foreign CEOs.The latest proposal came on the heels of another controversial “merger proposal” between UEM Sunrise owned by Khazanah and public-listed property firm Eco World Sdn Bhd, in what critics say smacked of a bailout in favour of the latter.

Any similar attempt involving Malaysia Airlines, however, was bound to give ammunition to critics of Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s administration, who have relentlessly accused the Pakatan Harapan government of being too free with disposing of government assets in a bid to inject much-needed cash. Sources spoke to FMT about what they described as a “highly questionable” proposal put forth to Khazanah, to merge Malaysia Airlines with another airline, adding that it was wrong on many counts. They said the proposal had incensed top guns at the national carrier. “They were caught unaware,” said one source. “The board felt that it was not designed to assist Malaysia Airlines to be profitable, but an attempt to strip it of its assets and kill it,” he told FMT. Specific details of the proposal have not been forthcoming, as Khazanah deliberates on its plans with government-sanctioned confidentiality.

Essentially, the plan was for the local airline to have some control over the merged entity with Malaysia Airlines, while absorbing the latter’s maintenance, repair and operations as well as cargo. Critics said the proposal came with several “bizarre” conditions. “One of which is that the local airline wanted the government to ensure that the merger gets the green light from the Malaysian Competition Commission,” another source said. The local airline, the source added, also wanted Putrajaya to bear the compensation costs for the cancellation of contracts and any retrenchment of staff as a result of the merger. “Thankfully, the government shot down this proposal,” it added

Edited by kandiah k
Messy

Malaysia Airlines is a very good reflection of this country's problems. There will be no painless or easy solutions to its problems.

14 hours ago, flee said:

Malaysia Airlines is a very good reflection of this country's problems. There will be no painless or easy solutions to its problems.

+1

MH up gauged their Surakarta flights to A330 according to Airlineroute. Anybody knows why this twice weekly, almost zero connections at KUL for the return sector (connection ~6 hours for non-ASEAN flights, longer for flights to JED/MED) warrants an A330?

2 hours ago, Craig said:

MH up gauged their Surakarta flights to A330 according to Airlineroute. Anybody knows why this twice weekly, almost zero connections at KUL for the return sector (connection ~6 hours for non-ASEAN flights, longer for flights to JED/MED) warrants an A330?

Demand for those who want to go for Umrah but at the same time want to take a stop at KUL?

Given the long layover they can go into KL, spend the entire day, then go off to JED.

4 hours ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

Demand for those who want to go for Umrah but at the same time want to take a stop at KUL?

Given the long layover they can go into KL, spend the entire day, then go off to JED.

That's what I thought, but SOC-KUL arrives around 02:45. Trains aren't running (not too sure if buses are) and they probably have to wait for another 3-4 hours before things start moving both at KUL and KL city centre. The 02:45 arrival won't connect to either EK/QR 02:00-ish departures either. 

On 1/3/2020 at 12:47 PM, Craig said:

That's what I thought, but SOC-KUL arrives around 02:45. Trains aren't running (not too sure if buses are) and they probably have to wait for another 3-4 hours before things start moving both at KUL and KL city centre. The 02:45 arrival won't connect to either EK/QR 02:00-ish departures either. 

Probably the travel agency had arranged for buses to take them into the city.

Didn't know where to ask this but:

On my recent flight back from Tokyo, there were a bunch of flight crew seated in Economy+ but in casual wear. However, as we were about to land, they all changed to their uniforms. Anyone know what was going on? Just curious.

16 minutes ago, jani said:

Didn't know where to ask this but:

On my recent flight back from Tokyo, there were a bunch of flight crew seated in Economy+ but in casual wear. However, as we were about to land, they all changed to their uniforms. Anyone know what was going on? Just curious.

Correct me if I am wrong, they will do shortie to Singapore or some regional flight before heading home. I had this last time forgotten which flight I was on, talked to the crew, they said they will do a quick drop at SIN and return before heading home.

20 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Correct me if I am wrong, they will do shortie to Singapore or some regional flight before heading home. I had this last time forgotten which flight I was on, talked to the crew, they said they will do a quick drop at SIN and return before heading home.

Most probably they are the bki-nrt crew from previous night. They do bki-nrt then immediate as a passenger back to kul...

On 1/11/2020 at 6:24 AM, Silverfly07 said:

Most probably they are the bki-nrt crew from previous night. They do bki-nrt then immediate as a passenger back to kul...

OK, but why did they put their uniforms back on when about to land?

17 hours ago, jani said:

OK, but why did they put their uniforms back on when about to land?

Asfaik, Crew should wear their full uniform in terminal & to go through immigration in KL for identification purposes. They travel with " gen dec ", and don't chop passports like passengers do.

Edited by Guest

Ahh.. good point. Thanks.

Though if true, curious if they are indeed required to be in uniform.

Edited by jani

Malaysia Airlines offers more European destinations with Qatar Airways

"This allows the former passengers to book seats for additional 12 destinations with one-stop connectivity such as Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, Vienna, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Geneva, Copenhagen, Brussels, Athens, and Oslo effective January 27."

"Qatar Airways passengers will be able to book Malaysia Airlines flights to two additional destinations in Malaysia - Sibu and Alor Setar - as well as two destinations in Indonesia - Medan and Surabaya."

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2020/01/556844/malaysia-airlines-offers-more-european-destinations-qatar-airways

On 1/14/2020 at 4:44 PM, jani said:

Ahh.. good point. Thanks.

Though if true, curious if they are indeed required to be in uniform.

AFAIK,its not the uniform that identifies a crew member but you need to display your airport ID from your issuing country,like ASICs from Australia and AVSEC from NZ if you're clearing using Gendec.Thats what they will tick your name against in gen dec when they ask you to show ID that's already hanging on you.

If you're travelling using a boarding pass,even for duty travel purposes and decide to display your ID you will get told off for doing so as you're not meant to do that.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, JuliusWong said:

They no longer do this for MH613-616, as the crew had complained about fatigue and potential safety issues.

2 hours ago, Mushrif A said:

They no longer do this for MH613-616, as the crew had complained about fatigue and potential safety issues.

It is common sense. 

FYI, in malaysia uniforms were made mendatory. Other countries may differ slightly. Also yes thr crew travel with both gendec (to clear immigration) and boarding pass ( for insurance ) here.

Edited by Guest