MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Very disappointing news... i always thought that khazanah was a well run company but the recent selling spree and the fact that they didnt learn from last time with regards to air Asia and mas tells me otherwise!! Wow. These are people entrusted with billions of ringgit.

Just chuck them down the drain lah. So stupid.

Also, have they forgotten about TF and his jibby liveried airplane??

All the old guys in Khazanah's been replaced. But the people who replaced them are...well they come with the seal of approval from the man up top.

Ha.. Khazanah selling everything is actually a big sign of something... ;)

Tun M has said that the government is not good at doing business and should divest.

I have a long held opinion that the government should not be doing business but be responsible for creating an environment whereby business can flourish. Finally the Tun wakes up!

Tun M has said that the government is not good at doing business and should divest.

I have a long held opinion that the government should not be doing business but be responsible for creating an environment whereby business can flourish. Finally the Tun wakes up!

His government, yes.

Others, not so.

Be realistic - if the 'alpha male' even think of jumping, those lower down the food chain worth their salt will already be limbering up in preparedness to jump :D

"You jump I jump, strictly in that particular order"

On 10/16/2019 at 10:47 PM, flee said:

Given current management, fleet mix, network, business model, mab is unlikely will become sustainable profitable. To change fleet mix, corporate culture and widen existing network will take a few years, not sure how many could afford or willing to burn a few billions RM to see it turn around.

After closing down Subang MRO and massively downsizing it's workforce, MAB doesn't even have enough manpower to maintain it's own aircraft.

And it was Subang MRO that held lots of foreign authority approval, all gone when they closed. Good luck trying to get it back...

Closing down the MRO was very very short sighted by which MH CEO again? Someone please refresh my memory.

MH Engineering was one of the best in the region, there were so many airlines which sent their aircraft (some half way around the world) to us for repair. It competed neck to neck with SQ Engineering. We had some much talent in technical skills, languages, and very cost competitive. Not forgetting hardworking lots!

Now that LH Teknik is massive at Manila, SQ Engineering has grown substantially over the past decade after MH Engineering closure, GMF Aero has doubled down their investment in Jakarta, TG has a huge set up at Utapao Int'l Airport with assistance from Airbus, where will MH Engineering stands? 

Edited by JuliusWong

That was a huge mistake by the previous CEO. I did not understand why they did it. 
MAskargo under JJ Ong was also very profitable. 

they were desperate to show some positive numbers so decided to downsize rapidly - but all in the wrong areas. Very shortsighted as you say 

Yes, closing MH Engineering was a mistake in hindsight - and most of us here (with foresight) already said so too!

At the time of this decision, MAS was bleeding to the tune of RM 2 bn and it was drastically cutting (in panic) its fleet of B747/777s. So I think the then CEO thought that there is way too much capacity at MH Engineering. I am not sure how much profit it was making but that decision - and the B777 fleet retirement, was a poor one.

2 minutes ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

If the MRO ops were a viable operation, pretty sure somebody would have picked them up already.

But nobody did.

Which is why I think reentering into the fray is a foolhardy venture.

Not sure if it is - aircraft fleets are growing and there is a need for more capacity. SAE already announced that they are building another hangar at KLIA to cater for demand.

I am not sure if MAS Engineering is now trying to sell existing excess capacity or if it is expanding its capacity - hence the need to sell the extra capacity. But utilising its resources for revenue is a good thing. It also helps to spread the cost base to a wider revenue base, thus improving yields.

16 hours ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

If the MRO ops were a viable operation, pretty sure somebody would have picked them up already.

But nobody did.

Which is why I think reentering into the fray is a foolhardy venture.

I beg to differ on this. In the aviation value chain, the airlines is the one making the less profit compared to the airframers, OEM and MROs. The margins in MRO business are huge i.e easiliy in the double digit. If you notice, the revenue for MAB over the past 3 years have been flat, with losses in all the 3 years. There are constant demands for aircraft maintenance and if MAB can slowly build their capabilities, the business will come in without even having to knock on customers' doors. The cost base in this region is also very competitive.

38 minutes ago, Rabloo said:

I beg to differ on this. In the aviation value chain, the airlines is the one making the less profit compared to the airframers, OEM and MROs. The margins in MRO business are huge i.e easiliy in the double digit. If you notice, the revenue for MAB over the past 3 years have been flat, with losses in all the 3 years. There are constant demands for aircraft maintenance and if MAB can slowly build their capabilities, the business will come in without even having to knock on customers' doors. The cost base in this region is also very competitive.

And yet many airlines see fit not to have MRO capabilities.

2 hours ago, Rabloo said:

Yes, MRO can be a good and steady source of income for the company. The booming LCC sector has added hundreds, if not thousands of new aircraft over the past two decades in Asia Pacific along. These aircraft require MRO periodically, hence the great demands for MRO. Most of the bigger airlines in the region have their own MRO and with greater economies of scales, they can provide support and services for smaller airlines especially to LCC. MAB has a rich history of servicing both Airbus and Boeing family aircraft, with right people and skills and have had a steady of customers from all over the world. LH Teknik at Manila, GMF at Jakarta, SQ Engineering and Thai Engineering are having robust growth in their MRO arm.  MAB can also double as capacity reliever for all these MRO centres. 

AirAsia X sends their fleet to SQ Engineering for C and D Check. This could have easily been done locally, not necessarily with MAB.

Public Accounts Committee has released a report on Khazanah Nasional Berhad’s investments at Dewan Rakyat today.

Some of the highlights are:

- RM1 billion a year in extra capital needed each year just to sustain MAS operations if there is industry consolidation/review. Open Sky Policy partly attributed to MAS's failure to turnaround.

- MAS's loss in FY18 was over RM1 billion.

1 billion in extra capital required to sustain MAB operation. Good Lord! Where are the issues?