MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Let's hope the government pick the right team to take over. Qatar Airways has submitted their plan too, but judging from Air Italy annual result announced yesterday, I don't have much faith in them in changing MAB. Not because Al-Baker is incompetent, more of if they can adapt to MH or Malaysians way of working.

I don't think the Arab way of working is any better.

I am more thinking of QR has their hands full with their own plan and Air Italy's reorganisation, most probably will lose focus on rehabilitating MH.

Its actually worse.

Everything looks promising just because they have money. But anyway, if they wish to jump in the pool to save MAB with their financial might, it will be more than welcome

But anyway, if they wish to jump in the pool to save MAB with their financial might, it will be more than welcome

I would be fine with QR quality at MH prices.

MSuite, anyone?:D

It is strange that MAB is saying that their recovery is delayed because of normal market conditions - e.g. fuel prices, overcapacity, forex, etc.

These are actually normal airline business challenges and many other airlines operating in these conditions are making profits. So what is so special about MAB? Why does it still bleed cash?

It is strange that MAB is saying that their recovery is delayed because of normal market conditions - e.g. fuel prices, overcapacity, forex, etc.

These are actually normal airline business challenges and many other airlines operating in these conditions are making profits. So what is so special about MAB? Why does it still bleed cash?

Thai airways has not made profit since 2016. Garuda has made losses since 2016. Philippines airlines has made losses since 2018. Malindo nextdoor has made losses since its inception. The only fsc carriers in this region that profited is SQ and Vietnam Airlines but on lower margin.

MAB should consider hiring Christopher Luxon, the outgoing Air NZ CEO.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113621861/air-new-zealand-chief-executive-announces-resignation

Under him, Air NZ soared with record profit for seven consecutive years with new fleet of aircraft, in-flight services, excellent customer service, great brand reputation and top notch ground-to-air services despite the global financial crisis.

Edited by JuliusWong

Our 93 year old PM doesn't like foreigners to run Malaysian companies - one of the reasons why he doesn't think Proton is the national car anymore.

We should remember the very negative comments made by many quarters when CM and PB were the CEOs of MAB.

In any case, I don't think Luxon is going to leave NZ - he is talking about contributing more to NZ and not other countries.

Die.... Seems like rescue plan maybe in tatters soon.

I think the Malaysian bidders thought that there will be no competition and they will get a free pass into MAG! When they found out that there is some sort of screening, they chickened out as their plans probably will not get through critical examination!

Qatar Airways has expressed they are not interested in buying into MH. Doom and gloom moment?? Let's see how Tun M pull himself out of this mess.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhorton1/2019/08/28/qatar-airways-does-not-plan-to-buy-malaysia-airlines/

Al Bakar is probably one of the flakiest airline CEOs out there. There's very little he says that can actually be taken seriously.

He's threatened to leave oneworld for several years in a row, picked a fight with other CEOs/countries on a personal level, and promiesd to launch routes that have not materialised for years now. And that's just scratching the surface.

Mean the gomen will sell MAB if there is a taker.

Overheard MAB is paying a magnificent RM4.5 for the hot meal on regional sectors.

I listened to this recently. Plenty of content re:MAS/MAB

https://www.bfm.my/podcast/morning-run/the-breakfast-grille/bg-dato-seri-ibrahim-bin-haji-ahmad-brahims-cooking-up-a-plan-to-bring-brahims-up-to-speed

Overheard MAB is paying a magnificent RM4.5 for the hot meal on regional sectors.

Pretty good value in my humble opinion :)

If the hot meal includes 2 sticks of chicken satay with fried rice OR stir-fry chicken/fish with vegetables and white rice (that's for KUL-KCH-KUL), RM4.50 is a bargain. What were you expecting (more food or higher catering cost)?

Pretty good value in my humble opinion :)

Its mentioned in the podcast that the MAB/Brahims have a deal, the price is low and with the rising cost of materials you cannot expect to get more (5* etc )

A dash of caviar, perhaps? :p

Believe many don't know how to appreciate caviar; should have boston lobster, wagyu beef, atlantic cod fish instead.

If the hot meal includes 2 sticks of chicken satay with fried rice OR stir-fry chicken/fish with vegetables and white rice (that's for KUL-KCH-KUL), RM4.50 is a bargain. What were you expecting (more food or higher catering cost)?

Undoubtedly a bargain for mab but don't expect brahim catering to give anything quality or quantity.

i only expect something comparable or better than my regular RM9.80 lunch. that's why i eat before boarding and request fruits platter on MH flights.

Edited by KK Lee

Al Bakar is probably one of the flakiest airline CEOs out there. There's very little he says that can actually be taken seriously.

He's threatened to leave oneworld for several years in a row, picked a fight with other CEOs/countries on a personal level, and promiesd to launch routes that have not materialised for years now. And that's just scratching the surface.

Love him or hate him all we want, but aviation industry needs him to keep both Airbus and Boeing honest. You are spending billions in your aircraft of course you can demand quality products. Despite the blockage against his country, Qatar Airways has not shown any sign of shrinking, adding numerous annually, bought out Air Italy, Cathay Pacific, IAG Group and LATAM Group. It goes to show he is one of the biggest movers and shakers of aviation world.

Love him or hate him all we want, but aviation industry needs him to keep both Airbus and Boeing honest. You are spending billions in your aircraft of course you can demand quality products. Despite the blockage against his country, Qatar Airways has not shown any sign of shrinking, adding numerous annually, bought out Air Italy, Cathay Pacific, IAG Group and LATAM Group. It goes to show he is one of the biggest movers and shakers of aviation world.

He might lead an airline that many adore (including myself), but that doesn't make him a saint. You think the airline emerged from blockade unscathed? Ask Al Baker if he thought the airline could pull through without turning to the government for (even more) help. Or whether he could go on a shopping spree without getting blank cheques from the government. Those purchases around the world are not to be mistaken as a demonstration of the airline's success. Unless, of course, one chooses to ignore the political part of the equation.

Let's not be so naive in thinking that QR is a rags to riches story :)