MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Its perhaps time to sell them off so that they can be managed efficiently as a private concern, rather than allowing them to be milked to death by politicians.

Being private does not mean they do not have to pander to politicians... just ask a certain Tan Sri! ;)

SQ SIN-TPE Y catering cost about sgd30 while J meals are at sgd86 not sure about long haul sectors though. Believe Mab could be around a similar catering pricing during LSG skychef tenure.

All Nippon Airways (ANA) x Zipangu: Chef Nao Takeshita Presents In-Flight Menu Inspired by ANAs First Class Menu

Zipangu Head Chef Nao Takeshita has curated an exclusive in-flight menu inspired by ANAs First Class Menu for guests to enjoy.

Amuse-bouche

Butter Crab and Tofu with Marinated Tomato

Mozzarella Cheese, Basil and Pink Pepper

Sashimi and Appetiser

Foie Gras Teriyaki and Truffle topped with Foie Grad Chawanmushi

Sashimi with Wasabi (Tuna, Yellowtail and Shrimp)

Broiled Mackerel Sushi, Smoked Salmon Roll with Cucumber and Cheese, Japanese Omelet and Tenderloin Cutlets

Teppanyaki Dish

Teppanyaki Shrimp and Scallop with Cocktail Sauce and Mixed Salad

Spring Roll Skin

Main Dish

Grilled Gindara with Saikyo Miso & Grilled Vegetable

Rice

Chicken Gomoku Rice with Pickles and Miso Soup

Dessert

Condensed Milk with Mango and Sago

Priced at MYR 300 net per set.

This offer is available from 8 Jun 2019 through 28 Jul 2019.

Http://www.shangri-la.com/mobile/kualalumpur/shangrila/offers/details/hotel/seasonal-events/all-nippon-airways-zipangu-in-flight-menu-at-zipangu/

Airlines pay more or less for industrial cooking than 5 star hotel restaurant?

Edited by KK Lee

The Malaysian Airline System Berhad (Administration) Act was passed to clean up MAS before MAB was established. I believe all the unfair contracts have not been transferred over to MAB. Some of the long term aircraft leases also did not make it into MAB.

Supplier contracts should be under constant review in order to keep costs as low as possible, If MAS does not know how, perhaps they should poach some supply chain staff from Airasia! ;)

I am not privy to the exact details of the MAB Act, but if you believe that *all* unfair contracts did not transfer over, then sure :)

All Nippon Airways (ANA) x Zipangu: Chef Nao Takeshita Presents In-Flight Menu Inspired by ANAs First Class Menu

Zipangu Head Chef Nao Takeshita has curated an exclusive in-flight menu inspired by ANAs First Class Menu for guests to enjoy.

Looks more like business class menu on KUL-HND. First Class without caviar or wagyu beef on a Japanese carrier? Might as well be in business ;)

KUL-HND Business Class Menu

NH First Class Menu

NH invited Malaysia based Mileage Club members to their tasting event at Zipangu back in February or March in preparation for their collaboration with Zipangu. MH is collaborating with KL Hilton's Iketeru for their KUL-JP flights (JL doesn't have any because it's a light snack + breakfast service).

Other than back-end stuff (MRO etc), I don't see any benefit to this at all. For both MH and the country. It just means SQ will get to pull even more pax from Malaysia for themselves.

Terrible move.

Other than back-end stuff (MRO etc), I don't see any benefit to this at all. For both MH and the country. It just means SQ will get to pull even more pax from Malaysia for themselves.

Terrible move.

Yes, but MAB has put itself into this sorry state. It can't sell enough tickets to sustain itself. It needs to associate itself to more glamourous brands like Emirates, Japan and Singapore Airlines. And this rot started with the PM's crony, TR.

Yes, but MAB has put itself into this sorry state. It can't sell enough tickets to sustain itself. It needs to associate itself to more glamourous brands like Emirates, Japan and Singapore Airlines. And this rot started with the PM's crony, TR.

I'm confused. I thought some people pointed out that MH should get real about not being in the same league as SQ/JL/EK.

In any case, codesharing isn't going to turn MH's fortunes around. Tagging your code onto another airline's flight isn't going to make passengers appear magically. The fear (and hype) surrounding codesharing are overblown IMO. It's not like SQ suddenly has access to a vast untapped Malaysian market.

There are so many other airlines they can tie up with, not SQ.

Like EK?

Lets put it this way - beggars can't be choosers!

I must commend this beggar for hooking up with the most glamarous of partners (EK, SQ, JL).

There are so many other airlines they can tie up with, not SQ.

Either that or we tax payers continue paying for MH when the money can be better used for public amenities.

I knoe its a bitter pill to swallow but lets face it.its a better run country and a better run airline.

Hence lets put our pride aside and see if this sharing of MRO facilities lowers cost,with only 6 A350 not worth stocking up on parts.

Ek (bleeding in their own way) or any other airline is not keen to tie up with MH or it would have happened.At least the Singaporeans did.Kudos to them.

It's not like SQ suddenly has access to a vast untapped Malaysian market.

We don't know the details yet, but why isn't this true? MH only has presence in Europe at LHR. Could it be that after this, you can buy MH tickets to CDG, FRA, ZRH etc and be routed through SIN?

Curious to see what Tun would say about this. Perhaps all is indeed being blown out of proportion and this is just a simple tie up, similar to the JL deal few weeks back.

Edited by jani

Trust me... even Singaporeans not agreed with this MSA resurrection...can check Channel News Asia article comments about them

Edited by J. Suri

I'm confused. I thought some people pointed out that MH should get real about not being in the same league as SQ/JL/EK.

They are not - but as you pointed out, code sharing is nothing really... so why not do it?

I think the more interesting parts of the MoU involves the bit players like Firefly, MRO, Scoot... Mainline MH and SQ (forget MI as it will become SQ soon) are not going to change overnight.

Trust me... even Singaporeans not agreed with this MSA resurrection...can check Channel News Asia article comments about them

Any wonder? Kiasus will be kiasus...

Sometimes when I read the comments, I get the feeling that the post Singapore independence generations don't appreciate the history of their country that much. They were all born into comfortable families and already have silver spoons in their mouths. They did not know what the past generations of Singapore people went through to achieve the success that Singapore is today. If they are not careful, Singapore's fall will be as quick as their rise!

We don't know the details yet, but why isn't this true? MH only has presence in Europe at LHR. Could it be that after this, you can buy MH tickets to CDG, FRA, ZRH etc and be routed through SIN?

MH would very much prefer routing them via LHR. Fly their own metal to LHR and then interline to BA (MH already sells plenty of ex-EU fares with a LHR connection on BA). If you look at MH's EU-MY or vice-versa, the best deals are almost always via LHR (instead of via DXB/AUH/AMS).

Any wonder? Kiasus will be kiasus...

Goh Choon Phong, the SIA CEO had lining up the importance of domestic market; which not within SQ tap..

https://skift.com/2019/05/29/singapore-airlines-ceo-lays-out-challenges-without-any-domestic-routes/

Remember, Scoot expands aggresively, they even fly to KBR this year... though not sure how it would last... the fare is competitive tho... considering no lay over via KUL

Edited by J. Suri

Goh Choon Phong, the SIA CEO had lining up the importance of domestic market; which not within SQ tap..

https://skift.com/2019/05/29/singapore-airlines-ceo-lays-out-challenges-without-any-domestic-routes/

Remember, Scoot expands aggresively, they even fly to KBR this year... though not sure how it would last... the fare is competitive tho... considering no lay over via KUL

He should study MSA's history too - SQ and MH were created because Malaysia wanted to focus on domestic and Singapore wanted to develop internationally. So is that a hint of regret?

Since MH does not have an LCC, why not get Scoot to open up a hub in Malaysia? Or Firefly go back to Changi? Interesting permutations.

So is that a hint of regret?

I have to say, yes it is but not shown on surface. Because back then, I think they were modelling themselves after Pan Am. Now, they are looking up for American Airlines.

Since MH does not have an LCC, why not get Scoot to open up a hub in Malaysia? Or Firefly go back to Changi? Interesting permutations.

It would be great if there would be Firefly jet or Scoot Malaysia based on KLIA2 but nothing avail yet as the time we speak!

He should study MSA's history too - SQ and MH were created because Malaysia wanted to focus on domestic and Singapore wanted to develop internationally. So is that a hint of regret?

Maybe for him he was looking at KUL - PEN, KUL - BKI etc, but let's not forget the less fancy route like BKI - KUD, TWU - SDK etc that are struggling.

The more connection SIN has, the stronger the hub will be and harder to challenge. It is SQ, TR and MI objective to serve as many feasible destinations as possible. If not because political sensitivity, MI could have bought regional jets to render KUL and CGK irreverent as international hub.

That was the story the previous gomen like people to believe. The fact is national pride was the reason. That's why before AFC, almost everything MH was comparing with SQ.

The more connection SIN has, the stronger the hub will be and harder to challenge. It is SQ, TR and MI objective to serve as many feasible destinations as possible. If not because political sensitivity, MI could have bought regional jets to render KUL and CGK irreverent as international hub.

Think you overestimate how strong SQ/SIN are.

Nothing is stopping them from doing that already, of course it is something that they want.

If not because political sensitivity, MI could have bought regional jets to render KUL and CGK irreverent as international hub.

Since when does Singapore care about regional sensitivities?

That was the story the previous gomen like people to believe. The fact is national pride was the reason. That's why before AFC, almost everything MH was comparing with SQ.

If MH really wants to ape SQ for national pride, they would have flown where SQ flew very early on. They would have bought 747s in the 1970s, not the 1980s because SQ was already flying 747s before MH.

Look at MH's history. You'll see that the story about developing domestic routes does hold water.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Since when does Singapore care about regional sensitivities?

If MH really wants to ape SQ for national pride, they would have flown where SQ flew very early on. They would have bought 747s in the 1970s, not the 1980s because SQ was already flying 747s before MH.

Look at MH's history. You'll see that the story about developing domestic routes does hold water.

Another MH favourite story was domestic routes was subsidized by international routes.

I think for SIA, theres no loss in this if it means more feeder traffic from Malaysia. Additional ancillary income from MRO, training, etc would be a plus too. So its a case of sure why not.

As for MAS, well done in strengthening Singapores position as an aviation hub. Its the one thing theyve always been good at.