MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

High stakes rollers have gone for other carriers. Mh issues lack budget fsc travelers in high volumes to keep afloat throughout the year and not able to fish out bargain basement LCC pax as AK has already capture that segment. Mh itself has issues bringing low cost by volume and has trouble maintaining yield from the front end. Brought on by weakening Ringgit Forex and Businesses in Malaysia.

Malaysia itself is falling behind as a country and this will greatly affect how full service carriers will ply into here. Everywhere Big companies are going dead on for efficiency and cost cutting with staff retrenchment. The company i work in foreign investors have pulled out funds and invested in Thailand the outlook looks bad. Most of my former classmates cant find work have opted to work in Singapore and Vietnam. Not sure how long this country is going to take to fix itself asap but i guess i'll take 2 years+.

Edited by jahur

I don't need Air Asia prices if I fly MH.

MH charges AK/D7 prices: uncompetitive, lousy, sloppy

MH charges SQ prices: uncompetitive, expensive, lousy

And for some reason when I select my seat on the website almost all the seats are blocked off only to realise that those seats are unoccupied upon boarding.

You'll find that blocking portions of seats from online selection is an industry-wide practice.

Closer to home: on cheaper fares TG only lets you pick a seat at the very back, while CX doesn't even let you select seats at all unless you're a OW elite.

Maybe from your perspective. A lot of people pay more to be on a nonstop flight.

What did MH promised you but didn't deliver? Convenience of a nonstop flight?

ME3 is competitively priced because it requires you to transfer at their hub. Have you seen EK's prices ex-DXB, QR's prices ex-DOH and especially CX's prices ex-HKG (or even a nonstop KUL-DXB on EK)?

Conventionally, people pay premium to fly non-stop. for reasons why people shy away from mh even to north asia.

Airlines carry a spectrum of pax. facts remain, MH couldn't attract enough high yield and number of pax to break-even for many years.

Edited by KK Lee

"Malaysia Airlines, established in 1972 after it split from Singapore Airlines Ltd.,..."

I think should be rewritten as "established in 1972 as one of the two national carriers resulted from Malaysia-Singapore Airlines split, the other being Singapore Airlines Ltd..."

"Malaysia Airlines, established in 1972 after it split from Singapore Airlines Ltd.,..."

I think should be rewritten as "established in 1972 as one of the two national carriers resulted from Malaysia-Singapore Airlines split, the other being Singapore Airlines Ltd..."

Yeah, what do those folks at Bloomberg know?!

Come to think of it, we do keep hearing about Sabah and Sarawak joining Malaysia ...

I have read some reports that MAG now employs 13,000 people. So it is more or less back to their previous manpower strength but their network is much reduced.

Also heard some rumours that it may be time again to call on Petronas to help out. Not sure if that will change anything - MAG really is in a bad, bad state!

I have read some reports that MAG now employs 13,000 people. So it is more or less back to their previous manpower strength but their network is much reduced.

Also heard some rumours that it may be time again to call on Petronas to help out. Not sure if that will change anything - MAG really is in a bad, bad state!

They're still short of tech crew fleetwide. The 738 shortage is slowly recovering but now the a330 is facing severe co pilot shortage and crew training backlog as MAS own A330 sim based on late 1990s MK series is not longer fit. The a330 sim in glenmarie is always full while the sims in singapore and thailand has limited slot.

Edited by jahur

Previously it was 19,000 - 20,000. So it's not back to its previous strengths.

Malaysia Airlines has to be honest with itself.

For many domestic and regional destinations, there isn’t a point having Business Class cabins. There isn’t even having a point having a full-service Economy Class product for many destinations. Short of starting up it’s own LCC (which it neither has the money to set up nor expertise to run it), MAS could follow some “full service” European carriers in this regard, e.g. British Airways’ Euro Traveller. Some might say the value of the brand may be diluted. I think with smart marketing and pricing, it can work. It has worked for the European flag carriers. And you can’t dilute a brand that’s already pretty much plain water.

Assuming the current issues with the MAX are fixed and MAS sticks with the 737 for it’s narrow body operations, something like 30 all-Economy B737-8 Max and about 15 to 20 2-class B737-10 Max for certain higher yielding regional destinations would work. Or they could use this opportunity to switch to Airbus narrow bodies with a similar split between the A320neo/A321neo.

Get rid of the A380s. Yesterday.

A 30-aircraft strong wide body fleet should suffice. A mix of A330neo with a few pieces of A350 if London is to be maintained. Or switch to Boeing. 30 pieces of 787-9, of which the majority will be in regional configuration. A few pieces to be configured for long haul flights to London if that must be retained. Whether it’s Boeing or Airbus, get rid of First Class. Business Class seats to be around the 25 to 30-seat mark. No need for Premium Economy.

I feel that too many people are looking at the wrong airlines for MAS to emulate. Singapore Airlines and Singapore isn’t the one. They’re competing in a different league. KL/Malaysia isn’t Singapore. Just accept that KL will never match Singapore and Bangkok. If there ever was a chance, Malaysia has stuffed it up many times, from the government, the national airline, airport operator and industry as a whole. We simply suck at this. If you accept that, then you will pick the right battles and the make the best out of current circumstances.

Be a decent regional airline. Not great, but decent. Just break even. Small loss pun tak apa. As long as sustainable and no need to keep bailing out. That would be a great achievement. Not the greatest ambition. But get real. It’s Malaysia.

Yeah, what do those folks at Bloomberg know?!

Come to think of it, we do keep hearing about Sabah and Sarawak joining Malaysia ...

Should mention that Borneo Airways amalgamated with Malaysian Airways to form MSA... and the rest is history...

Previously it was 19,000 - 20,000. So it's not back to its previous strengths.

Thanks for the more accurate figure - my memory seems to be fading! Hahahah!

It looks like its not just the numbers they need to adjust but also the type of staff. There are shortages in some areas and these need to be addressed so that its operations can be carried out.

I think everyone knows that - just that the A380s are not owned by AerCap or BoC but Malaysian govt. SPVs! The only way we can get rid of them would be for Airbus to take them back as there is no second hand market right now.

For many domestic and regional destinations, there isn’t a point having Business Class cabins. There isn’t even having a point having a full-service Economy Class product for many destinations. Short of starting up it’s own LCC (which it neither has the money to set up nor expertise to run it), MAS could follow some “full service” European carriers in this regard, e.g. British Airways’ Euro Traveller. Some might say the value of the brand may be diluted. I think with smart marketing and pricing, it can work. It has worked for the European flag carriers. And you can’t dilute a brand that’s already pretty much plain water.

Assuming the current issues with the MAX are fixed and MAS sticks with the 737 for it’s narrow body operations, something like 30 all-Economy B737-8 Max and about 15 to 20 2-class B737-10 Max for certain higher yielding regional destinations would work. Or they could use this opportunity to switch to Airbus narrow bodies with a similar split between the A320neo/A321neo.

A 30-aircraft strong wide body fleet should suffice. A mix of A330neo with a few pieces of A350 if London is to be maintained. Or switch to Boeing. 30 pieces of 787-9, of which the majority will be in regional configuration. A few pieces to be configured for long haul flights to London if that must be retained. Whether it’s Boeing or Airbus, get rid of First Class. Business Class seats to be around the 25 to 30-seat mark. No need for Premium Economy.

I feel that too many people are looking at the wrong airlines for MAS to emulate. Singapore Airlines and Singapore isn’t the one. They’re competing in a different league. KL/Malaysia isn’t Singapore. Just accept that KL will never match Singapore and Bangkok. If there ever was a chance, Malaysia has stuffed it up many times, from the government, the national airline, airport operator and industry as a whole. We simply suck at this. If you accept that, then you will pick the right battles and the make the best out of current circumstances.

Be a decent regional airline. Not great, but decent. Just break even. Small loss pun tak apa. As long as sustainable and no need to keep bailing out. That would be a great achievement. Not the greatest ambition. But get real. It’s Malaysia.

Maybe MAG should go back to its roots - MSA split up because Singapore felt that the profits are on the international routes whereas Malaysia wanted to focus on domestic services. So maybe MAG can be re-purposed to the original aims of MAS and focus on domestic services?

Yes, there is no point trying to be SQ or EK. It is probably better to model itself on the original MAS of 40+ years ago.

All's well and good, and I definitely agree with many of the points. But the problem is...

...Malaysians.

Malaysians will raise a stink if MAS were to rip the Business seats from their cabins. Malaysians will raise a stink if they don't offer SQ level service at AirAsia prices. Remember how many here raised a fuss when MAS started to use the 737 on longer regional routes? How they bemoan the fact that on other airlines they can fly on widebody jets etc etc etc. Funny thing is, these same Malaysians are now calling for MAS to be shut down. It's simply mind boggling!

All's well and good, and I definitely agree with many of the points. But the problem is...

...Malaysians.

Malaysians will raise a stink if MAS were to rip the Business seats from their cabins. Malaysians will raise a stink if they don't offer SQ level service at AirAsia prices. Remember how many here raised a fuss when MAS started to use the 737 on longer regional routes? How they bemoan the fact that on other airlines they can fly on widebody jets etc etc etc. Funny thing is, these same Malaysians are now calling for MAS to be shut down. It's simply mind boggling!

Mas is like proton car previously.

No one is asking for BMW quality at proton price; proton couldn't even deliver perodua quality. it was one proton's md equate proton quality to bmw. For reasons, people choose perodua or Toyota over proton.

If people could travel long distance on SUV or mpv why need to on compact sedan.

Malaysians travel on ak/d7 don't expect ek/tg service level. Neither are they expect mh at sq or ek service level.

The problem at mas is not with Malaysians but mas management couldn't get out of the coconut shell.

Edited by KK Lee

Stop generalising Malaysians. Not everyone complaint about 5 - 6 hours in a narrow body.

Stop generalising Malaysians. Not everyone complaint about 5 - 6 hours in a narrow body.

It is not the narrowbody that is the problem - it is the uncomfortable (for long flights) seating that makes it a torture to fly on long flights in the MAS 737s.

Mas is like proton car previously.

No one is asking for BMW quality at proton price; proton couldn't even deliver perodua quality. it was one proton's md equate proton quality to bmw. For reasons, people choose perodua or Toyota over proton.

If people could travel long distance on SUV or mpv why need to on compact sedan.

Malaysians travel on ak/d7 don't expect ek/tg service level. Neither are they expect mh at sq or ek service level.

The problem at mas is not with Malaysians but mas management couldn't get out of the coconut shell.

I don't know, looking at social media comments you could have fooled me.

True (I for one don't care), but most do.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

As mentioned by many, airlines tend to charge more for O&D tickets originating from their home hubs compared to their transiting tickets. This may partly explain the less competitiveness of MH fares compared to foreign airlines for flights originating from KUL. MH may not be the first choice of many fellow Malaysian in term of the ticket prices but I know at least it is very popular among travelers from Australia to India via KUL.

For an airline becomes successful, it needs strong supports from the people of its own country.

Many of my Australian & Singaporean friends would choose QF and SQ over other foreign airlines for destinations these airlines serve despite the higher fares. They have faith in the airlines they familiar with.

I remember the same happened to MH in the 80s during its glory days. For destinations that MH served back then, the people I knew in Malaysia would pick MH as their first choice and they felt proud flying with MH. Flying with SQ via SIN always seemed as a sub-superior and cheaper option.

One of the biggest task of MH management now I think is how to win back the confidence and supports from the fellow Malaysian. I truly hope the day will come back again.

One of the biggest task of MH management now I think is how to win back the confidence and supports from the fellow Malaysian. I truly hope the day will come back again.

I think MH suffers similar problems with its brand image as Proton. Many people like to "tumpang glamour" and associate themselves with success - MH is now looked upon as a loser. Part of the reason for that image is the continued financial losses as it indicates that the management may be weak or poor. Winning industry awards is also considered important as many like to fly with a "winning airline".

So, apart from getting their financials back on track, it would be useful if MH picks up an award or two each year. That may then cause people to "try them out" to see what is so special about them.

It is not the narrowbody that is the problem - it is the uncomfortable (for long flights) seating that makes it a torture to fly on long flights in the MAS 737s.

The lack of a pillow to and from Perth, both flights on different days, last month. I don't know if this is a cost cutting measure, or the pillow supply ran out? Because I flew MH to HKG in 2017 and a white pillow was provided along with the standard purple blanket.

No wonder passengers are going to complain on a 737.

As mentioned by many, airlines tend to charge more for O&D tickets originating from their home hubs compared to their transiting tickets. This may partly explain the less competitiveness of MH fares compared to foreign airlines for flights originating from KUL. MH may not be the first choice of many fellow Malaysian in term of the ticket prices but I know at least it is very popular among travelers from Australia to India via KUL.

For an airline becomes successful, it needs strong supports from the people of its own country.

Many of my Australian & Singaporean friends would choose QF and SQ over other foreign airlines for destinations these airlines serve despite the higher fares. They have faith in the airlines they familiar with.

I remember the same happened to MH in the 80s during its glory days. For destinations that MH served back then, the people I knew in Malaysia would pick MH as their first choice and they felt proud flying with MH. Flying with SQ via SIN always seemed as a sub-superior and cheaper option.

At one time, I paid a premium for MH ticket until surcharge on Enrich redemption ticket was more expensive than EK paid ticket. Pax could be loyal to airlines, doesn't mean airlines is loyal to pax.

I think MH suffers similar problems with its brand image as Proton. Many people like to "tumpang glamour" and associate themselves with success - MH is now looked upon as a loser. Part of the reason for that image is the continued financial losses as it indicates that the management may be weak or poor. Winning industry awards is also considered important as many like to fly with a "winning airline".

So, apart from getting their financials back on track, it would be useful if MH picks up an award or two each year. That may then cause people to "try them out" to see what is so special about them.

Many awards could be bought. MH had 5 star but delivered 2 star experience.

No one is asking for BMW quality at proton price;

On the contrary, it certainly sounds like some people expect a far greater service level at low prices. In fact, you seem to be quite fond of QR/EK because they offer SQ-level service while being "competitively priced".

Believe those insisted on sq service level could always take sq, ek, qr;

There may not be "wow" factor on me3 but they deliver what is expected, convenience and competitively priced.

True, many Malaysians couldn't care less about the aircraft type they're on, but within the confines of MalaysianWings it certainly seems like narrowbodies attract a great deal of hate, especially on longer sectors.

Like Skytrax? :D :D

On the contrary, it certainly sounds like some people expect a far greater service level at low prices. In fact, you seem to be quite fond of QR/EK because they offer SQ-level service while being "competitively priced".

True, many Malaysians couldn't care less about the aircraft type they're on, but within the confines of MalaysianWings it certainly seems like narrowbodies attract a great deal of hate, especially on longer sectors.

Like Skytrax? :D :D

Isn't this typical consumer behaviour? in service industry, there is a price/value associate with almost every single items/experience; those could afford, pay for those experience. if the service provider deliver experience consistent with or better than expectation; customers will return. pax pay a premium/value for non stop, daily service, proper meal, excellent ife, comfortable seat, pillow, seat pitch, ffp, etc but not exorbitant amount. airlines need know how to price to shift pax from non stop and vs. it seems mh has failed to apprehend all these which reflected in their P&L. for reasons, me3 have multiple daily flights from KUL.