MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

I wonder if we'll hear something from MAS and Boeing in the coming days during the PM's trip to the US.

Would definitely kick things off to a good start when meeting with the man who's been trumpeting Buy American :rofl:

How about 30 Boeings for visa-waiver program?

That'll make MAS great again.

How about 30 Boeings for visa-waiver program?

That'll make MAS great again.

Then we can have daily flights to Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Dallas, Orlando, Chicago, Houston, Boston, and Atlanta :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

My vote for Barisan if they can pull this one. #respectmyPM

They will launch daily flights if that is what it takes to stay in power. But those flights will just go empty.

Malaysia and USA has an open sky agreement still in place right? Ratified somewhere in 1990s?

Still remember when Tajudin Ramli committed to then B777-200X (now known as -200LR), he planned non-stop flights from KUL to Chicago and other main US cities as to gain benefit from this agreement.

Malaysia Airlines sees steady progress in Q2 2017
  • Tough first half with heightened competition and unfavourable currency conditions
  • Passenger Load Factors up 16.9% YoY
  • Passenger revenue saw an increase of 8% YoY
  • Successful cutover to new Amadeus Reservation System - went live on 10 June
  • Renews safety audit accreditation for 7th time since 2005
  • Launch of the Negaraku livery in the presence of the Prime Minister of Malaysia, YAB Dato’ Sri Mohd Najib Tun Abdul Razak
  • Malaysia Airlines is on track to be profitable in second half of 2018

Full report:

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/corporate-info/press-room/2017/steady_progress_in_Q2_2017.html

The signing of the MoU with Boeing for eight B787-9s has somewhat changed the fleet plans. This was the fleet status as reported by MAB in 2Q 2017:

The airlines is still exploring various options for widebodies, for possible delivery in 2018 and 2019, to address the rapid growth in international sales which requires additional widebody aircraft. Discussions are continuing with a range of lessors, other airlines and aircraft manufacturers to acquire good quality aircraft with lie flat beds and high quality inflight entertainment systems.
The airline is looking forward to the delivery of the six leased new Airbus 350 aircraft from Air Lease Corporation (ALC), with the first A350 aircraft planned to arrive at the end of 2017. The A350s will operate Malaysia Airlines’ flagship service to London Heathrow from Q1 2018 and are expected to result in a more efficient operating cost on the route.
The A350 is a technologically advanced aircraft and to assist a smooth introduction of this fleet, Malaysia Airlines has entered into a detailed maintenance agreement with Airbus in which the majority of the parts and components for the A350 and A330 will be maintained directly by Airbus in Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia Airlines will in future pay a fixed price per hour of usage of the aircraft for this comprehensive parts and components support. Airbus will be setting up and staffing a dedicated manufacturer team in Kuala Lumpur to support Malaysia Airlines, which is expected to minimise the future risks of AOG (aircraft on ground) and greatly simplify the procurement of parts for the Airbus fleet.
Malaysia Airlines in June announced an option to convert 10 of its 737 MAX 8s on order to the newest version of the 737 MAX family, the MAX 10s. The airline will be a launch customer for the new Boeing 737 Max 10 aircraft, and will fit the aircraft with 16 innovative lie flat business seats and 166 economy seats. The first deliveries will be in January 2021. The current plan is for delivery of the MAX 8 to commence in 2019 and the MAX 10 in 2021.
The airline is currently assessing the feasibility of a dedicated A380 charter airline, as early as Q4 2018, to service the growing global traffic on the Hajj and Umrah to Saudi Arabia.

Mh is charging customer airline over us$60/pax for the use of first class lounge and now limit one main course per pax. Not sure it is consistent with it's expected service level as first class lounge.

Edited by KK Lee

Last night I was trying to book my flights, and noticed that there was a new website - but I could not book as it an error message came out. I tried again a few minutes later, the old website was up again. Looks like we should see something new in the next day or so.

Should have taken a screenshot!

Edited by Lim Kar Yong

Last night I was trying to book my flights, and noticed that there was a new website - but I could not book as it an error message came out. I tried again a few minutes later, the old website was up again. Looks like we should see something new in the next day or so.

Should have taken a screenshot!

Wanna try the new website again? Go to other regional MH website such as Japan, Hong Kong. Happy exploring!

Time flies and I failed to keep track - can someone recall how long has it been since the big shake up and RM6B lifeline started trickling in to sustain life at MH ?

What I do recall though were those punctual quarterly 'progress reports' at the start - hardly hear of them anymore

:)

Time flies and I failed to keep track - can someone recall how long has it been since the big shake up and RM6B lifeline started trickling in to sustain life at MH ?

What I do recall though were those punctual quarterly 'progress reports' at the start - hardly hear of them anymore

:)

Believe mab is still making losses or stashing/reserve for kpi and the "good time". Edited by KK Lee

just expect run-of-the-mill service with MH, based on recent BKK flight, no more peanuts, dessert was just a small kit kat or a piece of no brand cookie and the obligatory "no coffee due to weather" is here to stay. Just noticed that seafood meal that i ordered was the similar dish served for seafood meal in business class that i flew in before, so basically the casserole is the only distinguishing factor. Crew service has improved so credit to the management in uplifting their morale.

just expect run-of-the-mill service with MH, based on recent BKK flight, no more peanuts, dessert was just a small kit kat or a piece of no brand cookie and the obligatory "no coffee due to weather" is here to stay. Just noticed that seafood meal that i ordered was the similar dish served for seafood meal in business class that i flew in before, so basically the casserole is the only distinguishing factor. Crew service has improved so credit to the management in uplifting their morale.

I just bought my BKK ticket with their competitor

Ha ha ha I though I was hallucinating all this while.

Wanna try the new website again? Go to other regional MH website such as Japan, Hong Kong. Happy exploring!

New website seems to be live across the board :)

Malaysia Airlines mulls stake sale to another carrier

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines Bhd is exploring the option of having another airline on board by selling a strategic stake in the national carrier, among other measures, before its listing exercise that is slated to take place in 2019, according to its chief executive officer (CEO) Peter Bellew.

“It’s the trend these days; that’s what’s happening. Other airlines, they take a portion of somebody else, get really close [working] together … what it does is it generally lifts overall value, and you have other commercial operation opportunities, maybe you can have joint purchasing, maybe you cooperate on aircraft, you have the same product line, that’s the trend where the industry is going, and it makes a lot of sense.

‘‘It allows for balanced growth. If you look around the world, a lot don’t have partners in Southeast Asia,’’ he said on the side lines of a media visit to Airbus in Toulouse.
Bellew, however, was quick to add that negotiations towards this end have yet to commence. He cited Delta Airlines buying into Virgin Atlantic, who worked in a cross-shareholding with Air France-KLM, as a business model that he was looking at.
More here:

And a small update on the new Haj charter airline:

Malaysia Airlines CEO Peter Bellew expects to get approval from Khazanah Nasional Bhd to launch the new airline catering to haj pilgrims by year-end. The carrier said it has received overwhelming response from haj pilgrims and that does not have enough seats to accommodate pilgrims from Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and China for the rest of the year. he said. - StarBiz

doubt Air Asia would want to do another with MAB going by what happened the last time it did. Anyway ever since Malaysia Airlines been in operation the government through various agencies have already spent more than rm20 billion on Restructuring ( or as some put it as bail-outs" and now another rm6 Billion by Khazanah.

The government should really adopt a hands off and allow MAB to really find a partner or another airline to have a stake in it. Just like what the government did finally with Proton after more than 20 years of subsidising Proton and now finally sold 49% to a Chinese company.

Edited by leon t

Weird that Bellew is doing the talking about this. This is shareholders talk --> Khazanah.

Anyway, before the Middle East crisis, I would have put a lot of money on saying it would be QR. Now, not too sure.

Ideally, it really, really, really, really, really, really should be QF.

Does MH compete with Jetstar? Not really.

But again, in a super ideal situation, Jetstar then moves ops to KUL from SIN (and QF also moves hub to KUL [dreaming, but they are free ;)]) and Jetstar provides feed to MH long-haul.

However, in an even more dreaming situation, QF buys into MH from KNB.. And KNB uses proceeds to invest in Malindo/Lion.. And KUL/MH benefits from large Indonesian feed into KUL.

Isnt QF itself interested to make a JV with MH prior to joining OneWorld, establishing premium short haul airlines with A320 fleet and build up the 2nd satellite terminal but was setback due to the share swap thingy with AK? :unknw:

Would QF want to have another round to talk about it? :ph34r: