MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

"This quarter saw the cutover of call center operations to a new outsourced call center operated by Mindpearl. The new system has seen improved pick up times; however, the airline is working hard to improve on short term issues."

Had called in twice the past few weeks. Calls picked up almost instantaneously, English speaking staff all very pleasant and courteous (spoke with British accent), but not knowledgeable on various matters compared to previous own MH staff - was put on hold a few times while they asked around for answers. However, improvement from previous never-pick-up-phone experience.

"A new passenger sales system from Amadeus will become operational in Q2 2017 with testing already commenced. Once completed, the airline will be able to offer customers enhanced speed and convenience, a simple web booking experience, state of the art mobile applications and bundled offers to suit individual needs"

The last few words sound ominous for passengers experience - LCC pricing and add-ons in Y and J ? (if not already one, in the eyes of many)

Edited by V Wong

The last few words sound ominous for passengers experience - LCC pricing and add-ons in Y and J ? (if not already one, in the eyes of many)

Again I will stress on my experience with Air NZ.

In Y, they function like a LCC. Pay for seats only, baggage/food/seat selections are all add-on. I've flown with them a few times and I have never once found their service to be lacking. Always friendly, food quality is good. With their B787 you can order your food from your screen. On that few occasion I compared what I would pay on Air NZ with the extras with Qantas a full service carrier, Air NZ comes out cheaper.

So I would say if this is where Malaysia Airlines needs to head to be competitive and profitable, go ahead. Better to serve a good competitive LCC priced Y than a half baked FSC Y that leaves a sour experience.

The problem for MAB is that it is now squeezed from both ends of the market - it faces AK on the LCC side and OD on the FSC side. I think the OD competition is beginning to hurt MAB while AK is less of a threat. In order for MAB to improve its market share, it needs to get everything right to compete with these two.

Edited by flee

Again I will stress on my experience with Air NZ.

In Y, they function like a LCC. Pay for seats only, baggage/food/seat selections are all add-on. I've flown with them a few times and I have never once found their service to be lacking. Always friendly, food quality is good. With their B787 you can order your food from your screen. On that few occasion I compared what I would pay on Air NZ with the extras with Qantas a full service carrier, Air NZ comes out cheaper.

So I would say if this is where Malaysia Airlines needs to head to be competitive and profitable, go ahead. Better to serve a good competitive LCC priced Y than a half baked FSC Y that leaves a sour experience.

The problem is mine - I just hate the LCC add-on concept, which is already a sour experience even before flying. If MH can make the possible combo sweet, that's fine

Edited by V Wong

"A new passenger sales system from Amadeus will become operational in Q2 2017 with testing already commenced. Once completed, the airline will be able to offer customers enhanced speed and convenience, a simple web booking experience, state of the art mobile applications and bundled offers to suit individual needs"

Enhancements in progress :D. There could be some "real" enhancements though - I don't mean pay for check bags or meals etc. I mean the ability for passengers to perform changes online or through their mobile app. I bought a NZ and VY ticket recently that is about $10-20 more than the cheapest Y and it gives me the flexibility to do same day change FOC on the day of travel, reduced changed fees if I change my flights before day of departure etc. I don't believe MH allows you to do that via its app or website.

I don't see how MH is a half-baked FSC. Sure it's not up to par with say SQ from some passengers' perspective but they are, by all measures, a FSC. Complimentary check bags (and extremely generous 30 kg for non-status Y), meals/drinks on most flights, FFP, assigned seats at check-in, IFE, baggage interlining (the one and only OW carrier that still check-through bags on different PNRs and that's a huge win in my book) etc. I'd say they are more "full-service" than FSC carriers like BA, LH, KL, UA, AA etc.

I for one would not want to see MH heading the way of BA or DL. HBO fares, random seat assignment at check-in and you can't change it, charging for meals/water etc. Come January 2017, BA might just remove the huge bottles of Highland Spring water in the GFL/GCL lounge due to large incidence of theft and replace it with a tap :p

Edited by Craig

Khazanah: MAS is operationally profitable

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is operationally profitable and would return to the black by the end of 2018, according to Khazanah Nasional Bhd managing director Tan Sri Azman Mokhtar.
“The airline is now able to rely on its own cashflow to operate and is expected to break even this year,” he said.
“Malaysia Airlines is making good progress in its 28 months of recovery. It narrowed losses in 2016 and is expected to be profitable from 2018 onwards,” he told reporters at Khazanah’s 2016 financial results briefing here last Friday.
Azman said Khazanah has spent over RM5bil for the restructuring and recovery of MAS.
“It is a rather difficult restructuring. Out of the over RM5bil, about RM3.6bil has been provided for or money set aside just in case to aid the airline to propel into profitability as the aviation sector is still volatile,” he said.
Under the 12-point MAS Recovery Plan established in August 2014, MAS needed RM6bil for its delisting, restructuring and right-sizing of manpower.
The de-listing of the old MAS was done at a cost of RM1.4bil and the restructuring and retrenchment costs amounted up to RM1.6bil while the remaining RM3bil capital is to be injected progressively from 2014 till 2016.
In terms of operational progress, Azman said MAS would fly to nine new routes in China
“For us, this is very meaningful because it means better connectivity to China as tourism is a very important sector for Khazanah and the country.
“We have exposure to theme parks, hotels and airports services,” he said.

The Growing Divide In Premium And Low Cost Brands, And Those Stuck In The Middle.

https://thedesignair.net/2016/09/23/the-growing-divide-in-premium-and-low-cost-brands-and-those-stuck-in-the-middle/

is Malaysia Airlines stuck in the middle?

Rightfully so now. Malaysia Airlines is "five stars value airline"...whatever that means.

Penang Golden Lounge will be closed effective 1st Feb 2017

In PEN now. MH is using plaza premium here now. Apparently this is temporary whilst they renovate their PEN golden lounge.

In PEN now. MH is using plaza premium here now. Apparently this is temporary whilst they renovate their PEN golden lounge.

Believe it was renovated in the not too distant past?

With this new partnership with PPL in LHR, what will happen to their own lounge in T4?