MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

MAS Appoints New MASwings CEO

KUALA LUMPUR, May 16 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines has appointed Captain Izham Ismail as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of its sister airline, MASwings, effective July 1.

He takes over from the current CEO, Captain Ritzerwan Rashid, who will retire at end-August.

Izham will focus on developing a comprehensive and sustainable plan to improve MASwings' operations, financial performance and customer service experience," Malaysia Airlines' CEO, Christoph Mueller said in a statement today.

Izham has close to 36 years of experience in the aviation industry and thus, combines a valuable breadth of understanding in airline operations and business management.

"I am proud that he is our own internal home grown talent and confident that he will be able to lead MASwings to new levels of excellence," Mueller said.

Izham is currently Head of the Operations Programme Management Office overseeing more than 100 projects, key to the turnaround of Malaysia Airlines.

He is also a Board of Director for various companies such as MAB Kargo and began his career with Malaysia Airlines as a trained pilot from the Philippines Airline Aviation School.

As a pilot he achieved world aviation records when he flew Malaysia Airlines' first B777-200 eastward from Seattle to Kuala Lumpur and back, setting a new world longest flight and speed record for the fastest round-the-world flight by a commercial airliner with total flight time of 41 hours 59 minutes over a distance of 23, 310 miles.

Mueller also thanked Ritzerwan for his contributions to MASwings as well as Malaysia Airlines.

Under his tenure, the airline significantly expanded to become a recognised and designated "The East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA) airline".

Edited by flee

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/05/145836/malaysia-airlines-sticks-strategies

"He, however, expressed his disappointment on the two-year contract awarded by the Tourism and Culture Ministry to Singapore Airlines instead of the national carrier."

http://marketingmagazine.com.my/breaking-news/singapore-airlines-collaborates-with-tourism-malaysia-on-marketing

Sedihnya....

What an extremely odd thing to do, when we have a national Airline that could use all the help they could find.

But then again, it is a smarter choice to go with a larger and more connected carrier, but still, confusing.

What an extremely odd thing to do, when we have a national Airline that could use all the help they could find.

But then again, it is a smarter choice to go with a larger and more connected carrier, but still, confusing.

If this contract is awarded to mh is as good as awarded to ek. It would be more confusing as the whole journey is on ek metal.

What a smart move by tourism Malaysia. Now we will see advertisement of Malaysia in countries where SQ flies and promote malaysia.All this to gain more passengers for themselves too.This will bring in more tourist.

MH is not in the position to do this as itself is in the intensive care ward and until it gets well in 2 years time then maybe.

Ridiculous by the Tourism ministry.

Extremely.

Could have easily worked with any ME carrier, with EK being the most obvious.

Ridiculous by the Tourism ministry.

Extremely.

Could have easily worked with any ME carrier, with EK being the most obvious.

Those ME carriers only fly to KUL. SQ group flies to many points in Malaysia with only one-stop via SIN.

Those ME carriers only fly to KUL. SQ group flies to many points in Malaysia with only one-stop via SIN.

That is a very good factor regarding SQ group having more entry points into Malaysia via more airports, would make it more attractive, not to mention the size of the Star Alliance group as well.

A partnership with EK (or even QR/Oneworld) is also a one-stop in KUL before connecting to MH.

My main gripe is that it's Singapore Airlines. It's a very WTF move.

Perhaps at time when the Ministry people were negotiating with the airlines, MH was not in position yet to be able to commit to the EK codeshare deal and hence wasn't able to offer sufficient reach for purpose of the promotion campaign ?

My main gripe is that it's Singapore Airlines. It's a very WTF move.

Sad - but be that as it may, it's how things furl out sometimes (in reality) ..... :) Edited by BC Tam

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/05/145836/malaysia-airlines-sticks-strategies

"He, however, expressed his disappointment on the two-year contract awarded by the Tourism and Culture Ministry to Singapore Airlines instead of the national carrier."

http://marketingmagazine.com.my/breaking-news/singapore-airlines-collaborates-with-tourism-malaysia-on-marketing

Sedihnya....

Its a good move - is it a sign that some Ministries are starting to award contracts on merit? Is it a sign that GLCs can no longer take the the government for granted and that all contracts should be competitive? I certainly hope so. That way, the government can claim that it is trying its best to get value for taxpayers' money!

SQ is a premium airline. Maybe the ministry is trying to attract premium tourists/big spenders. Our country is already popular among the backpackers and the average tourists due to our low currency

SQ is a premium airline. Maybe the ministry is trying to attract premium tourists/big spenders. Our country is already popular among the backpackers and the average tourists due to our low currency

I think the ME3 airlines already bring in premium pax - perhaps, they are now trying to tap SQs premium pax.

Its a good move - is it a sign that some Ministries are starting to award contracts on merit? Is it a sign that GLCs can no longer take the the government for granted and that all contracts should be competitive? I certainly hope so. That way, the government can claim that it is trying its best to get value for taxpayers' money!

Whilst I agree, there are also certain sensitivities that must be considered.

Can you imagine, if on the flipside, Singapore offered a contract to a Malaysian company, when there are tens of other companies around the world capable of delivering similar, it not better results without jeopardizing matters related to national interest? Doubtful.

What's next, route all incoming traffic into KUL from SIN and make Changi Malaysia's main gateway? haha :clapping:

Edited by jani

Whilst I agree, there are also certain sensitivities that must be considered.

Can you imagine, if on the flipside, Singapore offered a contract to a Malaysian company, when there are tens of other companies around the world capable of delivering similar, it not better results without jeopardizing matters related to national interest? Doubtful.

What's next, route all incoming traffic into KUL from SIN and make Changi Malaysia's main gateway? haha :clapping:

Dxb is effectively the gateway to kul.

Fact of matter is, Malaysia Airlines has never really been the top source for tourists coming into Malaysia.

We may boast very high tourist numbers, but a good half of them are Singaporeans.

And for the other half, a good part of them make Malaysia as a stop from their travels via Singapore or Bangkok.

Has always been the case.

In recent years, with air ticket prices coming down, more via the Middle East. But even in this area, KL pales in comparison with BKK and SIN in the number of frequencies and/or products being offered by the ME3.

Malaysia isn't the in the same league as Thailand or Singapore. Thailand is Thailand - it sells by itself. The big international hotel chains have a better footprint in Phuket than KL. Don't even get started with Bangkok.

Singapore has always, still is and will continue to be a hub for everything, like it or not.

With MAS' small international footprint, you can't blame the Tourism Ministry.

Edited by geoff.leo

Yeah that maybe true but if you look at European countries, most of their tourist arrivals are from their neighbours. What's important is that we still get the numbers in... Thailand is now on the up after stalling for a few years due to their political turmoil. Malaysia should get their act together but they are currently more concerned about how to cover up the 1MDB...

Now that MAB has more or less sub-contracted European routes to EK, do you feel similarly that national interest has been jeopardized ?

Remember it was 'die die also must fly' for nation's interest (and pride) not too long ago for MH

:)

Whilst I agree, there are also certain sensitivities that must be considered

Jani, sensitivities are only so If we are sensitive about them. Politically, there is indeed a lot of sensitive history between Malaysia and Singapore.. But now let's look at other factors like organisational makeup - you know how many Malaysians are in the SIA group from every level??

Would this not benefit them also, especially with potentially more connectivity to home. Plus this is a renewable deal - not a life term.. I'm a Malaysian in SIA, and I am proud to be able to be a part of an organisation that brings in tourists.

On Singapore giving Malaysia contracts - a few years ago, did you know MAS won the Singapore MinDef contract to transport all NSmen and women to Queensland for defence exercise at Rockhampton? 2-3 MK* A330's were roped in for the job and plied between SIN and QLD for a month in aggregate total. How? There was some arrogant responses on this side of the fence - macam, why not SIA??!!

Business is business, politics is politics.

On the gateway to Malaysia.. Bring some positive changes into MAHB and KLIA... I know you keep saying there are plans etc but none of it is ever very impressing.. The airport facilities (pax) is poorly maintained, a lot of tiada-Apa attitude and too much cin-Cai decoration that clutters... A small but huge difference is adding more permanent greenery inside the terminal.. Take use of the natural light and open spaces... Kill some of the billboards.. My two cents.

Perhaps people will start to understand what we in this eastern half of the nation feel most time - heh heh :clapping:

Malaysia is more to than just Klang Valley. Ministry of Tourism has obligation to ensure other parts of the country can be accessed easier and at ease as well. While MH (and KUL hub) continues to do their part in attracting tourists, in the current economic scenario it is wiser not to put all eggs in one basket. ☺

It seems many of your replies don't quite understand where I am coming from.

I agree with almost all your points. But my only gripe is "Why Singapore?".

That's all.

yes exactly why not SIA? - if SIA offers a better product and more connections and potentially provide more passenger feed. Some things ought to be made based on commercial reasons. Besides now MAS do not even fly to Europe except to London and have very much frequencies to Asia.