MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

The office in Karamunsing complex is gone??

That ticketing office there has been closed so long ago it's hari ini dalam sejarah material already :)

The number of "WOWs" I have expressed for MH since 2014 has been phenomenal.

Not surprising, considering their official logo is still a ....... :D

A New Beginning For Malaysia Airlines In 2016

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 10 (Bernama) -- A new year, a new beginning for Malaysia Airlines.
The just-ended year saw the team at newly-formed Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB), led by Chief Executive Officer Christoph Mueller, working at putting the building blocks together as part of the transformation process.
After years of financial hemorrhaging worsened by the double tragedy in 2014, Malaysia Airlines started on a clean slate from Sept 1 last year, with MAB no longer dragged down by the turbulent financial baggage of the past.
Mueller began his first week by circulating a letter to the employees to drive home the point that the medicine for the overhaul was "bitter, and the fitness programme required to bring us back into shape would cause a lot of sweat and sometimes tears. But it would be rewarding in the end."
The bloated workforce was shrunk to 14,000, having to let go 6,000 employees.
To ensure sustainability of the livelihood of the 6,000 affected employees, Khazanah Nasional Bhd, the owner of Malaysia Airlines, set up the Corporate Development Centre (CDC).
The CDC which opened its doors on June 1 last year, provided avenues and opportunities to free outplacement, training services and reskilling of the exiting Malaysia Airlines' employees who were not offered re-employment by MAB.
The employees were provided with access to a broad range of services, including talent profiling, career counseling, basic and detailed training, job-seeking skills, entrepreneurship, retirement planning and placement.
As at Nov 27, over 3,000 former employees had registered with the CDC. Some 1,165 registrants have successfully left the CDC, of which 466 were successfully re-employed, with 650 choosing to become entrepreneurs and 49 opting for early retirement.
Currently, 392 registrants are attending programmes, while 964 others who completed their respective basic coaching programmes, have transitioned into active up-skilling programmes. The remaining 583 are job-seeking candidates undergoing various technical and non-technical certification courses.
In addition to shedding its workforce, other bitter measures taken was to cut costs overall by 20 per cent, including renegotiating suppliers' contracts, route rasionalisation, as well as review of work processes to bring the airline on par with global practices.
In the same letter, Mueller also highlighted that the airline's previous precarious situation was mainly caused by its uncompetitive cost levels, while coming under attack from new low-cost carriers for its short haul network.
Coupled with this, the super connectors from the Middle East and Turkey are gaining market share on long haul, putting MAS' cost level at up to 20 per cent above its competitors.
Mueller has vowed to "stop the bleeding" by last year, stabilise the business in 2016 and look for growth again by 2017. By 2018, the national airline targets to be profitable.
The implementation comes in the form of a range of initiatives aimed at furthering operational improvements, boosting product offerings and enhancing internal processes and procedures, as well as rebuilding confidence following the twin disasters of having one airplane go missing and another being shot out of the sky.
Rather than compete with the super connectors from the Middle East and Turkey, the synergistic move to remain a full-service international carrier connecting continents, saw Mueller inking a global aviation partnership with Emirates, that will see an increase in the two-way traffic between the two sides of the globe.
From Feb 1, Malaysia Airlines will also begin widespread code sharing on Emirates' flights from Kuala Lumpur to Dubai and then onward to destinations across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas, providing passengers with more choice over when and where they travel.
The improved connectivity will enable Malaysia Airlines customers to reach up to 38 destinations in Europe on a daily and even double daily basis for key European cities such as Zurich, Rome, Munich, Frankfurt, Madrid, and Barcelona.
What this means is that a Malaysia Airlines ticket will take passengers far beyond its destinations.
Axing the unprofitable routes will still enable passengers with Malaysia Airlines tickets to travel to those axed destinations.
Mueller is positioning Malaysia Airlines to retreat from some markets until it has regained a competitive cost status. In other words, retreat and regroup, before growing again being the ultimate target.
While retreating from one part of the globe, Emirates is currently the Kuala Lumpur International Airport's top airline in terms of passengers, latching on to Kuala Lumpur for connectivity to this part of the world.
With all these initiatives in place, analysts are confident that 2016 will be a better year for MAB.
Mueller is on track to realise his vision of Malaysia Airlines turning the corner with a modern product on offer plus new uniforms, a new common building, a new process driven organisation, anchored by a new, more collaborative style of working with each other. It's work in progress.
Malaysia is expecting 30.5 million tourists to contribute RM103 billion in revenue this year and this target can be achieved through various programmes in the pipeline.
Malaysia Airlines is now better poised than ever in being the major player in bringing the tourists here as well as connecting to this region.

Over the new year, my brother took two flights on MH - LHR to KUL and KUL to CDG.

He noted that the flights are fairly full and most of the passengers are Malaysian looking. There was a distinct reduction in the number of westerners on the MH flights.

He had problems with his luggage at KLIA and he has said that his next trip will not be with MH.

Over the new year, my brother took two flights on MH - LHR to KUL and KUL to CDG.

He noted that the flights are fairly full and most of the passengers are Malaysian looking. There was a distinct reduction in the number of westerners on the MH flights.

He had problems with his luggage at KLIA and he has said that his next trip will not be with MH.

What was the problem? Maybe it was KLIA's fault? My last flight with EK had problems too. They announced that our baggage will be about one hour plus late to arrive at the carousel.

What was the problem? Maybe it was KLIA's fault? My last flight with EK had problems too. They announced that our baggage will be about one hour plus late to arrive at the carousel.

I would think MAHB just can't handle the massive load. Coupled by KLIA2 (which operates 24hours).....the resources must have been stretched thin. Pity the folks on ground.....

My experience with MH from LHR, last June, we were made to wait more than an hour before our baggage appears. Morning around 8:30 will be peak hours with arrival from Istanbul and Australian cities. Really pissed us all off. My friend almost missed her connecting flight to JHB because of this.

Was on EK in December. The wait was not as long as the previous experience but it's still at least 30 minutes from the moment i disembark to the baggage conveyor. And i was made to wait another 15 minutes.

Dont know what went wrong. They should really think about adding more manpower to help with unloading of baggages since EK gonna upgrade to bigger aircraft next month

My experience with MH from LHR, last June, we were made to wait more than an hour before our baggage appears. Morning around 8:30 will be peak hours with arrival from Istanbul and Australian cities. Really pissed us all off. My friend almost missed her connecting flight to JHB because of this.

Was on EK in December. The wait was not as long as the previous experience but it's still at least 30 minutes from the moment i disembark to the baggage conveyor. And i was made to wait another 15 minutes.

Dont know what went wrong. They should really think about adding more manpower to help with unloading of baggages since EK gonna upgrade to bigger aircraft next month

I would think MAHB just can't handle the massive load. Coupled by KLIA2 (which operates 24hours).....the resources must have been stretched thin. Pity the folks on ground.....

Productivity of baggage handling could be judged by spacing/interval between bags arrival to carousel, KLIA is among the worst.

Massive loads? But airlines are shying away from KUL (LH and KU soon to leave) and MH is shrinking. Logically, there should be surpluses of productivity time if the number of manpower stays the same.

EK should have been deploying their 615-seater 2-class A380 for flight EK 342/343 since 1 January 2016.

The luggage did not arrive till about 1½ hours after he arrived at the arrival hall. Its delivery was stalled TWICE. Passengers had to be pro active in seeking information on the fate of their bags. On the first stall in delivey, MAHB officials reported the belt was stuck.

On the second breakdown, it was reported that the luggage was delivered to the wrong belt by a foreign worker driver. Most of the delayed bags belonged to First Class and Business Class pax. Throughout this period, MAB officials were conspicuous by their complete absence.

On the flight to CDG, there was the infamous "we will leave your luggage behind" fiasco going on prior to his departure. The flight departed about 90 mins late and he had a connecting flight to DUB. The luggage did not make it with him to DUB and they only managed to deliver it to him a day or two later.

Doubt it very much - my brother observed that the arrivals hall was not very busy. MH1 landed at 5.55 pm and there were no large scale wide body arrivals at that time.

Productivity of baggage handling could be judged by spacing/interval between bags arrival to carousel, KLIA is among the worst.

Massive loads? But airlines are shying away from KUL (LH and KU soon to leave) and MH is shrinking. Logically, there should be surpluses of productivity time if the number of manpower stays the same.

EK should have been deploying their 615-seater 2-class A380 for flight EK 342/343 since 1 January 2016.

The luggage did not arrive till about 1½ hours after he arrived at the arrival hall. Its delivery was stalled TWICE. Passengers had to be pro active in seeking information on the fate of their bags. On the first stall in delivey, MAHB officials reported the belt was stuck.

On the second breakdown, it was reported that the luggage was delivered to the wrong belt by a foreign worker driver. Most of the delayed bags belonged to First Class and Business Class pax. Throughout this period, MAB officials were conspicuous by their complete absence.

On the flight to CDG, there was the infamous "we will leave your luggage behind" fiasco going on prior to his departure. The flight departed about 90 mins late and he had a connecting flight to DUB. The luggage did not make it with him to DUB and they only managed to deliver it to him a day or two later.

You guys do know that productivity is not in their KPI right? If not, how can Malaysia service sector or the country can be so screwed up nowadays.....and the left hand doesn't talk to right hand vice versa, MAHB "cannot predict" the loads you know (in sarcastic tone).....I can imagine MAHB tell airlines "You send email la...cc the whole kampung, we will check later.." off for smoke....

Tak kisah lah, ada buat sikit sikit, boleh la......

Btw flee, glad that your friend managed to get his luggage back...In a lot of missed connection flight, luggage disappeared into thin air.

Edited by JuliusWong

MAHB pax arrivals statistics for KLIA has been showing declines the past few months. So, it is unlikely that this is due to massive loads. More due to the tidak apa attitude of the workers and managers.

Malaysia Airlines rebranding not a priority, says Khazanah
from: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/malaysia-airlines-rebranding-not-a-priority-says-khazanah#sthash.KRWqY5Fh.dpuf

Clever chap :)

Why would anyone even think of branding what MAB is nowadays when everyone knows it's gonna get worse before they either hit rock bottom or go into the history books

Malaysia Airlines starting 01FEB16 is reducing service to Nepal, as overall Kuala Lumpur Kathmandu service being reduced from 2 to 1 daily. This flight is operated by Boeing 737-800 on nonstop basis, in both direction.

MH114 KUL2015 2250KTM 738 D

MH115 KTM2350 0650+1KUL 738 D

whats the point? their catering is the one in dire need of upgrading and improvement.....

It's true. Now, when I partake Y meals of 'lesser' airlines, I feel very sedih thinking about MH's horrible meals. That's how traumatic it was, the precipitous drop in the standard of MH catering.