MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Very wise for Landor to actually include such positive outlook and description, however we all know how it turns out in reality......

Less than three years later, Malaysia Airlines declared bankruptcy and put on emergency life support.

First A380 flight= 01/JUL/2012

Declared bankruptcy= 01/MAY/2015

"...Ensuring consistency across all touchpoints".....

I am not going to open that can of worms again!!

Hence they need flip the bloody Wau back...

Don't know what was going on with the minds of the MH heads at the time, how can you come up with a scheme that made the A380 so different from the rest of the fleet? I don't see any other airlines did this to their A380. Plain silliness!

Don't know what was going on with the minds of the MH heads at the time, how can you come up with a scheme that made the A380 so different from the rest of the fleet? I don't see any other airlines did this to their A380. Plain silliness!

Because MAS shorthaul was derailed. If that had taken off then the entire longhaul fleet would have worn the A380 livery (and the shorthaul would have worn a red version of the same livery).

I was speaking to FA on the A380 from HKG-KUL, she told me that one of the reasons why the wau flipped to the right was due to "feng shui". Interesting idea since that FA was not chinese herself.

It's one of those funny changes, there were no explanations for it and suddenly overnight the website had a blue wau that just turned around and got a bit slimmer. Then weeks later it changed back to the red and blue colours. Other airlines gave explanations for why they modified their logos eg Qantas changing the roo so it would fit on the A380 (IIRC)

On that topic, a lot of airlines that are profitable had their logos or emblems facing to the right. Airlines with interesting financials mostly had their logos symbolically facing to the left eg. TG, MH.

Too late for contest - these things take time!

I would think that the bunga raya would be quite appropriate for a logo - just like Thai and China Airlines are using flowers for their tail logos. If it has to be something that can fly, the hornbill from Sarawak would be a very strong flying object... :)

Not long to go now - I hope Mwingers are able to gain access to cover the repainting of the MH aircraft....

Its already taken by Air Calin...i hope they will retain the Wau..it supposed to be an icon same like the garuda for GA and the SQ logo

I was speaking to FA on the A380 from HKG-KUL, she told me that one of the reasons why the wau flipped to the right was due to "feng shui". Interesting idea since that FA was not chinese herself.

It's one of those funny changes, there were no explanations for it and suddenly overnight the website had a blue wau that just turned around and got a bit slimmer. Then weeks later it changed back to the red and blue colours. Other airlines gave explanations for why they modified their logos eg Qantas changing the roo so it would fit on the A380 (IIRC)

On that topic, a lot of airlines that are profitable had their logos or emblems facing to the right. Airlines with interesting financials mostly had their logos symbolically facing to the left eg. TG, MH.

what about if the wau is flying upward...better feng shui or not?

I wouldn't bet on seeing the new livery anytime soon. They only just announced the appointment of the master brand agency today. The master agency is in charge of the overall branding of the airline.

http://www.marketingmagazine.com.my/index.php/categories/breaking-news/11092-m-c-saatchi-wins-malaysia-airlines

Should not be a problem - the pitch took place a few months back and I would guess the slight delay in withdrawing the A380 might be related to the launch of the refurbished and re-liveried B777-200ER. We just have to wait and see - not long to go now...

Its already taken by Air Calin...i hope they will retain the Wau..it supposed to be an icon same like the garuda for GA and the SQ logo

what about if the wau is flying upward...better feng shui or not?

That looked very much like the tool that a lucifer is holding (can't recall the name for it)... hope it won't get interpreted in that way...

Not a fan of the feng shui cr@p neither

Should not be a problem - the pitch took place a few months back and I would guess the slight delay in withdrawing the A380 might be related to the launch of the refurbished and re-liveried B777-200ER. We just have to wait and see - not long to go now...

Any confirmation that they are indeed working on refurbishing the 777-2H6ERs?

More than a logo

While declining to give specifics, Mr Mueller said the launch of a new company on September 1 was more than about simply "repainting" the airline, but involved installing a new management team, shareholding structure, revamping its product and setting up a new air-operator's licence.

"Brand is not just the name and the logo but is more what your airline stands for. We will embark on the idea that we provide value for money for our travellers," he said.

He admitted it was "a very very difficult" job but insisted he could turn around the financial fortunes of an airline that had lost money every year since 2010.

"It is very hard but it fortunately, isn't mission impossible. It requires us to roll up our sleeves and get going," he said.

"The strategic issues anyhow needed to be addressed – the two tragedies came on top and made the whole thing more difficult on the revenue sides. We are very determined to get it done in the next three years."

Does anyone know if the A380 will undergo such refurbishment as well?

No, the oldest is only 3.8 years old.

The latest issue of Going Places published B777 fleet number as 12. I think 9M-MRB is on the way out.

Out of original fleet of 17: one stored, two scrapped and two written off.

9M-MRN would have higher chance being refurbished as she is owned by MH, so are 9M-MRP and 9M-MRQ. 9M-MRO (RIP) was owned by MH as well. The rest are leased.

How many 777's were donated to MH ? Just curious.

After so many many (x10) times of bailout, suffice to say those paying tax somehow 'own' some parts of MH......right down to the tyre, landing gears, peanuts served on board, the air sickness bags.....:p

No, the oldest is only 3.8 years old.

Thanks Flee. I wondered if my trip with that beast would be a refurbished one in October.

Edited by kandiah k

After so many many (x10) times of bailout, suffice to say those paying tax somehow 'own' some parts of MH......right down to the tyre, landing gears, peanuts served on board, the air sickness bags..... :p

Ah i see. So it's an acceptable culture la, this donation thing. I'm learning about my home country mah... been living here but i still don't understand it fully :p

The latest issue of Going Places published B777 fleet number as 12. I think 9M-MRB is on the way out.

Out of original fleet of 17: one stored, two scrapped and two written off.

9M-MRN would have higher chance being refurbished as she is owned by MH, so are 9M-MRP and 9M-MRQ. 9M-MRO (RIP) was owned by MH as well. The rest are leased.

So which ones were scrapped? Hmm... Seems that 777-200ER along with 777-200A do not hold any resale value now!

So which ones were scrapped? Hmm... Seems that 777-200ER along with 777-200A do not hold any resale value now!

9M-MRK & 9M-MRI.

Surprising those two were the ones let go & scrapped when 9M-MRA, the first MH 777 is still chugging along.

Could be due to more cycles, condition of the airframe, whether they were due for C or D checks, etc.

Not much point doing a major maintenance a few weeks or months before they are scrapped.

9M-MRK & 9M-MRI.

Surprising those two were the ones let go & scrapped when 9M-MRA, the first MH 777 is still chugging along.

Could be due to more cycles, condition of the airframe, whether they were due for C or D checks, etc.

Not much point doing a major maintenance a few weeks or months before they are scrapped.

Yes, what flee mentioned is correct. A lot of earlier gen B777 are now due for C and D check which is very costly.

With Airbus and Boeing mass producing aircraft, suffice to say these older aircraft have no much, if not, no more second hand value as whole but in parts.

Singapore Airlines has offloaded a huge number of B772ER recently, EK scrapped their only three B772A, China Southern offloaded all four B772ER, JAL offloaded and scrapped B772A and first two B773A. Not helping the second hand B777 market at all.

Soon we will have random African-based 'dodgy' airline launching service with B777, no longer B733 or A320.......

9M-MRK & 9M-MRI.

Ouch! Been on 9M-MRI before and sad to learn she is scrapped.

B777 is the first wide-body airliner I truly admire ever since I saw the plane for the first time in 1997 while watching TV3 news regarding first delivery of 9M-MRA to MAS. I was in Darjah 3 then and my friends and I were talking excitedly about it in the class. :)

Sad to see the eventual end to some of these once flagship fleets in the airline. :( I am hoping the new airline can find a better replacement soon.

Malaysia Airlines this week gradually updated planned winter 2015/16 season schedule, starting 25OCT15. The updated W15 schedule is identical to planned operation that will take place from 01SEP15.

Updated schedule, sees Boeing 777-200ER operation being downsized to following routes, starting 01SEP15, including flights on/after 25OCT15.

Kuala Lumpur Amsterdam 1 daily

Kuala Lumpur Guangzhou 1 daily

Kuala Lumpur Paris CDG 1 daily

Planned operational routes remain subject to change based on aircraft availability and market demand.

Edited by kandiah k

Restructured MAS Can Take On LCCs, Müller Says

SYDNEY—Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will be able to compete effectively against LCCs in Southeast Asia without having to resort to starting an LCC subsidiary as its rivals have done, according to MAS CEO Christoph Müller. MAS is in the middle of a major restructuring effort that will cut its costs dramatically.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/restructured-mas-can-take-lccs-m-ller-says