MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Malaysia Airlines this week begins to update planned International operation from Kota Kinabalu, which sees following service cancellation or reductions in effect from August 2015, on gradual basis.

Kota Kinabalu – Hong Kong eff 01SEP15 Daily service cancelled

Kota Kinabalu – Perth eff 09AUG15 Service reduce from 2 weekly (Day 37) to 1 weekly (Day 7). However the airline will operate Day 3 service on 16SEP15 and 23SEP15

Kota Kinabalu – Tokyo Narita eff 02OCT15 Service reduce from 3 weekly (Day 146) to 2 weekly (Day 14)

Malaysia Airlines this week begins to update planned International operation from Kota Kinabalu, which sees following service cancellation or reductions in effect from August 2015, on gradual basis.
Kota Kinabalu – Perth eff 09AUG15 Service reduce from 2 weekly (Day 37) to 1 weekly (Day 7). However the airline will operate Day 3 service on 16SEP15 and 23SEP15
Kota Kinabalu – Tokyo Narita eff 02OCT15 Service reduce from 3 weekly (Day 146) to 2 weekly (Day 14)

What the heck!? BKI-HKG daily service cancelled? Leaving Dragonair to basically take up all the pax?

Once a week to Perth? Can this be sustained or would it be better to cancel the service entirely?

Maintain PER but cancel HKG? Too many competition?

Hm at least not cancelling the Narita route. So there goes MH384/385 then. I wonder what will happen to Shanghai PVG and Taipei TPE. No news = intact totally? Perth was initially 1x weekly and then another added, so now back to 1x weekly which may suggest it could be sustained. Guess that route is given the benefit of the doubt,

Edited by Eddy Liew

What the heck!? BKI-HKG daily service cancelled? Leaving Dragonair to basically take up all the pax?

You forget the red one also does the route ? :)

I suppose KCH will lose HKG linkage now, I wonder if KA or AK will seize he opportunity

All the same, sad to see MH having to abandon BKI-HKG after all these years

Edited by BC Tam

I searched around (just for dummies) inside the booking engine for some East Malaysia domestic flights, they are preparing for the changes as well:

BTU-KCH-BTU

SBW-KCH-SBW

The above sectors will see MASwings ATR 72 services, MAS Boeing services cancelled after Newco take off.

MYY-KCH-MYY from maximum 4 times daily down to 2 times daily.

MYY-KUL-MYY will see direct flights only, MH 2564 / MH 2597 up to Miri no longer available.

AK is still offering double daily flights between BKI-HKG.

Maintain PER but cancel HKG? Too many competition?

Believe most Hong Kongers and Mainland Chinese are not quite over MH370. So many of them will insist to be booked on the KA flight.

I had taken MH385 and MH384 14 times already in the past 3 years. The average load on MAS flight between BKI-HKG was consistently higher than KA's (before the MH370 incident of course).

Hm at least not cancelling the Narita route. So there goes MH384/385 then. I wonder what will happen to Shanghai PVG and Taipei TPE. No news = intact totally? Perth was initially 1x weekly and then another added, so now back to 1x weekly which may suggest it could be sustained. Guess that route is given the benefit of the doubt,

Down to twice a week. Cost of operating the route must be higher than before (hotel for the crew, allowance etc.) unless the crews working on this flight have to fly back to KUL as passengers...

Shanghai Airlines will commence 3x weekly non-stop flight between BKI-PVG next week. Timing of the flight is better than MAS'. I wonder how this will affect MAS...

I suppose KCH will lose HKG linkage now, I wonder if KA or AK will seize he opportunity

MH has been flying between BKI-HKG for almost 40 years is it ?

Anyway, there aren't many HKG-KCH passengers on MH385. Most of the passengers on MH385 originate from BKI. Same goes to the return flight (MH384), almost all passengers disembark at BKI based on my observations.

Shanghai Airlines will commence 3x weekly non-stop flight between BKI-PVG next week

Yes, I was just about to speculate on MH's BKI-PVG in view of FM's start on the route :)

Don't forget AK also does BKI-HGH

This MH's route/service culling is getting quite spectacular interesting :)

MH has been flying between BKI-HKG for almost 40 years is it ?

Sounds about right, could have been one of those 'legacy' routes from MSA days even :)

I am quite surprised by the decision. I thought it was the other way around (i.e. culling PER, NRT and PVG altogether). KA and AK will gain big. There will be 160 less seats which can easily be covered especially by KA. Will KA increase capacity by adding more frequency or bigger aircraft? Seeing A330 on a daily basis can be refreshing... :D

So crew operate once weekly BKI-PER will layover for 5 nights?

Most likely the crew will travel back as pax on the PER-KUL flight on the next day.

I am quite surprised by the decision. I thought it was the other way around (i.e. culling PER, NRT and PVG altogether)... :D

If MH drop PER, NRT, TPE or PVG, they will lose presence altogether on these routes from BKI

With HKG, they still have a codeshare with KA ongoing

Dunno if that is correct way of looking at it though :)

Edited by BC Tam

With the downsizing of BKI hub, only a handful flight now available. I guess Perth is kept for Brunei market since BI pulled their plug long ago.

Could this be just temporary downsizing while we wait for B777 to be refurbished and MH to deploy some widebody there?

13 B777 for five destinations (JED, CDG, AKL, AMS and PEK) seems to a waste though.

I believe there are much lesser B777 that they will maintain for their flights to CDG, AMS and possibly LHR once the A380s are gone. Any other routes may not require the B777 unless they place AKL back on the B777 list of routes.

13 B777 for five destinations (JED, CDG, AKL, AMS and PEK) seems to a waste though.

I suspect the B777 fleet will be reduced, post-Sept 2015. They might refurbish maybe 6-8 aircraft and retire the rest. Future expansion might be done with a new long haul fleet.

I don't know if they are planning to refurbish the 777s or retire them. I saw a MH 777 at KUL with engines removed (seems like it might be retired and salvaged for parts).

If MH drop PER, NRT, TPE or PVG, they will lose presence altogether on these routes from BKI

With HKG, they still have a codeshare with KA ongoing

Dunno if that is correct way of looking at it though :)

I can see that passengers from North America are find it very convenient to travel to BKI with only a one-stop flights mostly from either HKG or ICN. Sometimes, I scour the social media sites :D (Not a stalker, just want to see everyone's travel pattern), and got some folks (from Europe even) transiting at ICN before continuing journey to BKI. With forex rates favours that of US citizens, logically they are more willing to travel more. Good thing Masidi Manjun re-strategise Sabah Tourism by focusing more on North American market now, and not overdependent on Mainland Chinese.

I can see that passengers from North America are find it very convenient to travel to BKI with only a one-stop flights mostly from either HKG or ICN. Sometimes, I scour the social media sites :D (Not a stalker, just want to see everyone's travel pattern), and got some folks (from Europe even) transiting at ICN before continuing journey to BKI. With forex rates favours that of US citizens, logically they are more willing to travel more. Good thing Masidi Manjun re-strategise Sabah Tourism by focusing more on North American market now, and not overdependent on Mainland Chinese.

In any case, Americans can't fly MH from the US to BKI after LAX was dropped. The only (practical) way would be via HKG or ICN. Edited by Chris Tan

Malaysia Airlines to second pilots to other airlines

PETALING JAYA: Just when many pilots thought they had secured long-term employment with the new Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB), they were alerted by email informing them that a secondment exercise was on the cards.

Some preliminary figures being bandied about say the secondment could involve up to 400 pilots, although the figures could not be verified.

The secondment exercise is to cater to MAB being a smaller entity than Malaysia Airlines (MAS) before it grows.

In line with this strategy, route cuts and flight suspensions are under way. The number of crew members will also be reduced significantly.

It is learnt that the secondment exercise is being hammered out for the pilots to be placed with airlines such as China Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Qatar Airways and Korean Airlines.

“We were given hope that we would stay in the new company and work from here. Why give hope and then dash it?” asked an executive.

More:

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2015/07/17/MAS-to-second-pilots-to-other-airlines/?style=biz

I am fully aware of the red one and I believe HK Express is flying the route too. I hardly travel with LCC though, except on domestic routes. That's why I left them out :p

AKL & PEK are both A333 now. AKL could potentially return to B777 after (possible) refurbishment/replacement though. One DPS service is back to B777 again.

AKL & PEK are both A333 now. AKL could potentially return to B777 after (possible) refurbishment/replacement though. One DPS service is back to B777 again.

A333 to AKL, does it mean loading light loads and taking less pax? Didn't think the A333 can make it that far (10.5 to 11.5 hours flight)

On the secondment, per the spies at the MH Rumour Department, they are trying to retain those who are good looking and in good body shape first before anyone else.