MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

I've had this going on in my mind for a long time. What I'm about to say may seem shocking to you, but try to understand the mechanics. If not, dismiss it as the ramblings of a crazy woman :)

Fact: MH has been losing money for a long time

Fact: Yields are crap because products are uncompetitive. nobody wants to pay a premium for it

Fact: Assuming the article is correct, from the period 2001-2014, the Malaysian Government has bailed out MH to the tune of 19.2 billion RM.

Fact: There are 30.6 million malaysians (lebih kurang la - a bit here and there does not make much of a difference)

Mathematically: Every Malaysian Man, Woman and Child has been "penalised" to the tune of RM 627 over the course of 2001-2014

RM 627 per person - can be looked at two ways

a) I have never flown MH why should I pay for their ineptitude?

B) Ok I'm going to get my RM 627 back. Remember, Low Yields=Low prices.

(note: let's not get into the discussion that i have 17 children, 4 wives and 35 grandchildren so i must multiply by the number of kids etc - because at some stage those kids will also join the workforce)

If you've been a beneficiary of GREATER than RM 627 in cheap tickets (not terribly difficult to quantify) over the years 2001-2014, then reality is you should be hoping the status quo continues.

I certainly have. There have been so many crazy specials (i mean gila benar) over the years........and cost a fraction of what SQ charges.

I've been looking - and there is DEFINITE creep upwards in fares systemwide (don't just look at it from your fave route perspective) but look holistically. Spesial-Gila Fares that used to exist day in day out are gone.

To be honest, if you really wanted 1-2-1 special business class with leather seats , sunroof, 18 hole golf course, 50m olympic swimming pool - the option is already there: We call it SQ. You pay for it, but the option is there.

Having MH and SQ in the paradigm they are currently in - is like having a mamak and a steakhouse near me. Some days mamak, some days steak. Because of cost, naturally I will eat more mamak than eat steak.

Problem is now the mamak wants to become a steakhouse. I don't need two steakhouses near my home. We keep cheering on this mamak to become a steakhouse because it's prestigious to be a steakhouse and not a mamak without considering whether we can afford the rebranded mamak afterwards.

I may be a minority here, but send me the bank account details, i'll bank in the RM 627 and you please keep the prices like they were for the next 15 years. If the status quo must remain with 20,000 staff and the brahmin's contract - so be it. Can't be picky.

MH will relaunch, repaint, put in new 1-2-1 business class seats. Make Malaysia proud again. With a bit of luck, even profitable. Mr Muller if given his way, will do the job, and will do it well. And he'll charge you for it.

Me? I got two steakhouses to choose from and not enough money for either.

Most customers are only willing to pay mamak stall price for mamak quality food. If the mamak stall decided to employ everyone who wish to work there, buy only from relatives at higher than market price and loss $$$, don't think it is customers fault and should be paying for it.

Mamak stall rebrand to steakhouse doesn't mean it will be profitable as customers expect quality of food to be compatible or better. Believe, there is a bigger market for QR style restaurant e.g. 2-2-2 full flat J-class in A333.

Hope the rebrand mamak stall will serve satay on KUL outbound only as the world is not the kampung.

Edited by KK Lee

Most customers are only willing to pay mamak stall price for mamak quality food. If the mamak stall decided to employ everyone who wish to work there, buy only from relatives at higher than market price and loss $$$, don't think it is customers fault and should be paying for it.

The Customer isn't paying the price. The non-customer is.

The Customer who flies MH has been benefitting from (as an example) 250 USD BKK-KUL-PEK Z class roundtrip fares.

The Non-customer has seen his RM627 gone down the drain.

I am sure I got back my RM 627.

If Uncle Tony roadside warong and Uncle Chandra Rama Murthy roadside warong raise prices also, due to them seeing the mamak rebranding to steakhouse - then maybe even both roadside warong also cannot afford liao.

So cook at home... then can surf the internet while eating! :)

I've had this going on in my mind for a long time. What I'm about to say may seem shocking to you, but try to understand the mechanics. If not, dismiss it as the ramblings of a crazy woman :)

MH will relaunch, repaint, put in new 1-2-1 business class seats. Make Malaysia proud again. With a bit of luck, even profitable. Mr Muller if given his way, will do the job, and will do it well. And he'll charge you for it.

Me? I got two steakhouses to choose from and not enough money for either.

If Uncle Tony roadside warong and Uncle Chandra Rama Murthy roadside warong raise prices also, due to them seeing the mamak rebranding to steakhouse - then maybe even both roadside warong also cannot afford liao.

I tried to bank in. Said it was full due to too much money. :D

The Customer isn't paying the price. The non-customer is.

The Customer who flies MH has been benefitting from (as an example) 250 USD BKK-KUL-PEK Z class roundtrip fares.

The Non-customer has seen his RM627 gone down the drain.

I am sure I got back my RM 627.

As usual, you win the Internet for the day!

Problem is backside itchy... cannot stay at home :D

Like I've said before, if the problem is hemorrhoidal in nature, we have stuff for it :p

So cook at home... then can surf the internet while eating! :)

You're sounding a bit like one of our GST enthusiast ministers :D Edited by BC Tam

Like I've said before, if the problem is hemorrhoidal in nature, we have stuff for it :p

Cannot la. Itchy means must use anti itch. Like minyak cap kapak :o

If you must know, there is nothing in your kapak oil that deals with the fundamental itch - just enough other irritants to distract your attention :)

I digress though - yes, thrill of scoring a good travel deal sure beats any pharmaceutical solution (so called) to a downer period. Zoloft, eat your heart out :D

SYD & MEL will revert back to 2x daily, ADL no longer daily

Kuala Lumpur Sydney eff 03AUG15 Service reduce from 3 to 2 daily, MH143/142 cancelled

Is this verified?

I'll be flying on MH143 this October. Haven't got any email from MAS regarding the flight changes. Or maybe later I will...

Is this verified?

I'll be flying on MH143 this October. Haven't got any email from MAS regarding the flight changes. Or maybe later I will...

There you go... more on the chopping board.

Was trying to book my flight. Thought it was full, till i saw this.

Kuala Lumpur – Adelaide eff 09AUG15 Service reduce from 7 to 4 weekly (Day 357 from KUL, Day 146 from ADL cancelled)

Kuala Lumpur – Medan Kuala Namu eff 09AUG15 Service reduce from 3 to 2 daily, MH846/847 cancelled

Kuala Lumpur – Melbourne eff 02AUG15 Service reduce from 3 to 2 daily, MH147/146 cancelled

Kuala Lumpur – Sydney eff 03AUG15 Service reduce from 3 to 2 daily, MH143/142 cancelled

What about BKI-PER and BKI-NRT flights? I think the Perth flights would be cut since WA's economy isn't stellar these days. 2x per week isn't too convincing to stay on, though overall I could be wrong.

What about BKI-PER and BKI-NRT flights? I think the Perth flights would be cut since WA's economy isn't stellar these days. 2x per week isn't too convincing to stay on, though overall I could be wrong.

BKI-PER is probably next on the chopping block. Not too sure about BKI-NRT though.

Malaysia Airlines International Service Changes from August 2015

by JL

facebook.png0twitter.png17linkedin.png0google.png6reddit.png0email.png

Update at 1415GMT 24JUN15

Malaysia Airlines this week adjusted its inventory, which sees further downsizing to its operation. Majority of these changes will begin from August 2015.

Kuala Lumpur – Brisbane eff 09AUG15 1 daily service cancelled, currently operated by A330-300

Kuala Lumpur – Guangzhou eff 15AUG15 Service reduce from 2 to 1 daily, MH380/381 cancelled

Kuala Lumpur – Ho Chi Minh eff 15AUG15 Service reduce from 4 to 3 daily, MH760/761 cancelled (Except 31AUG15)

Kuala Lumpur – Hong Kong

eff 01AUG15 MH072/073 operated by Boeing 737-800, replacing 777-200ER (Overall 4 daily 737-800)

eff 15AUG15 Service reduce from 4 to 3 daily, MH448/449 cancelled

Kuala Lumpur – Male eff 23AUG15 1 daily service cancelled, currently operated by 737-800

Kuala Lumpur – Manila eff 15AUG15 Service reduce from 5 to 4 daily, MH708/709 cancelled

Kuala Lumpur – Perth eff 15AUG15 Service reduce from 12 to 7 weekly, MH127/126 cancelled

Kuala Lumpur – Siem Reap eff 17AUG15 Service reduce from 7 to 5 weekly, Day 14 cancelled

Kuala Lumpur – Taipei Taoyuan eff 15AUG15 Service reduce from 2 to 1 daily, MH408/409 cancelled

Kuala Lumpur – Yangon eff 18AUG15 Service reduce from 14 to 11 weekly

Note some of these reductions are not reflected in the airline’s timetable listing, but has been closed for reservation in the inventory (when making atual booking).

http://airlineroute.net/2015/06/24/mh-aug15/

Grr. Annoyed by changes to Sydney schedule. I'm meant to be on MH143 late August.

Some of top management appointment so far:

Chief Operating Officer - Peter Bellew - from Ryanair
Head of Sales - Laurent Recoura - from Air Asia Philippines
Head of Communications - Faridah Hashim - from Axiata Group
Company Secretary- Datuk Sabrina Albakri Abu Bakar- from Pos Malaysia
CEO of MAB Ground Handling Services Sdn Bhd- Mohd Nadziruddin Mohd Basri- previously Chief Restructuring Officer

Malaysia Airlines from August 2015 is gradually reducing capacity on Kuala Lumpur – Denpasar route, where it currently operates 2 daily Boeing 777 and 1 daily Boeing 737 service. From 15AUG15, MH851/850 service will be operated by the 737 instead of 777, followed by MH715/714 from 01SEP15.

By 01SEP15, the oneWorld member operates this route 3 times a day with Boeing 737-800.

MH715 KUL0850 – 1150DPS 738 D
MH851 KUL1205 – 1505DPS 738 D
MH853 KUL1520 – 1820DPS 738 D

MH714 DPS1250 – 1550KUL 738 D
MH850 DPS1605 – 1905KUL 738 D
MH852 DPS1920 – 2210KUL 738 D

Malaysia Airlines this week continues to update its inventory for its international operation. The oneWorld member from 18AUG15 is reducing Kuala Lumpur – Shanghai Pu Dong service, from 2 to 1 daily. Reservation for MH386/387 gradually closed for travel on/after this date, around 30JUN15 or 01JUL15.

MH388 KUL0900 – 1420PVG 333 D
MH389 PVG1535 – 2105KUL 333 D

Malaysia Airlines from August 2015 is gradually reducing capacity on Kuala Lumpur – Denpasar route, where it currently operates 2 daily Boeing 777 and 1 daily Boeing 737 service. From 15AUG15, MH851/850 service will be operated by the 737 instead of 777, followed by MH715/714 from 01SEP15.

By 01SEP15, the oneWorld member operates this route 3 times a day with Boeing 737-800.

MH715 KUL0850 – 1150DPS 738 D

MH851 KUL1205 – 1505DPS 738 D

MH853 KUL1520 – 1820DPS 738 D

MH714 DPS1250 – 1550KUL 738 D

MH850 DPS1605 – 1905KUL 738 D

MH852 DPS1920 – 2210KUL 738 D

Malaysia Airlines this week continues to update its inventory for its international operation. The oneWorld member from 18AUG15 is reducing Kuala Lumpur – Shanghai Pu Dong service, from 2 to 1 daily. Reservation for MH386/387 gradually closed for travel on/after this date, around 30JUN15 or 01JUL15.

MH388 KUL0900 – 1420PVG 333 D

MH389 PVG1535 – 2105KUL 333 D

I'm booked on MH386 end of Sept. Seems like my 1 hr 40 mins transit will become a 9 hours transit.

Will the lounge be comfortable enough for the night? Or shall I start planning for my hotel. Or better still will MH provide me a free night at a hotel since they change the schedule *wishful thinking* (:

And there goes my chance of sampling MH's 772's J class :(

Malaysia Airlines Extends Manila Planned Reduction from August 2015

Update at 0220GMT 03JUL15

Malaysia Airlines is extending service reduction on Kuala Lumpur – Manila route, based on this week’s update in the inventory. From 15AUG15, the oneWorld member is reducing number of daily flights from 5 to 3, instead of previously planned 4.

MH806 KUL0810 – 1200MNL 738 D
MH704 KUL1015 – 1405MNL 738 D
MH804 KUL1730 – 2120MNL 738 D

MH805 MNL0750 – 1130KUL 738 D
MH807 MNL1250 – 1625KUL 738 D
MH705 MNL1505 – 1840KUL 738 D

http://airlineroute.net/2015/07/03/mh-mnl-aug15/

Massive Vote Of Confidence In New MAS

KUALA LUMPUR, July 3 (Bernama) -- "Today, Malaysia Airlines, as we know it, is leaving its cruising altitude and is about to prepare the cabin for a very safe landing. At the same time, the new Malaysia Airlines is preparing for the first flight and it's getting ready to take off," said Christoph Mueller in early June.

Mueller, who is Chief Executive Officer of Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS), is set to switch hats when he heads New MAS, Malaysia Airline Bhd (MAB), when it takes off September 1.

While some may look at this as nothing more than a change in company name, actually the newly created MAB is part of a more elaborate machinery meant to give the national airline a new lease of life -- start on a clean slate - no more old baggage of huge losses, lop-sided supplier agreements and restrictive work rules. A clean book is what MAB starts with.

Amidst all the negativity surrounding MAS over the last decades and compounded by the twin tragedies of 2014, it came as a pleasant surprise that MAB received a thumping 98 per cent vote of confidence from its 14,000 employees who were offered new jobs to join new MAS.

With their safety net already in the pocket after receiving compensation packages that range from RM300,000 to RM500,000 as reported, one would have thought they would go into other directions to seek new fortunes.

And yet these 98 per cent who accepted offers to work in MAB must have seen a glimpse of the new MAS and want to be part of the national airline as it rebuilds itself.

If the employees are not confident of MAB, surely only less than 50 per cent would have signed up, but instead 98 per cent feel they can contribute positively to the new entity.

What this indicates is that the most critical people, the employees who will spearhead MAB are confident the national airline can fly into profitability sometime in 2018 as projected.

While on the subject of people, it is worth remembering that an airline is a "service business" and not a 'transport business' -- so the people factor is critical as the staff are the ones who deliver the service.

And the announcement of new management appointments the past few weeks certainly bode well for MAB.

MAB will welcome Peter Bellew as its Chief Operations Officer, Faridah Hashim as Head of Corporate Communications, Laurent Recoura as Head of Sales and Datuk Sabrina Albakry Abu Bakar as its Company Secretary.

More appointments are expected to be announced in MAB in the coming weeks further boosting confidence in the national airline. Not to mention the recognition of internal talent with the appointment of

Mohd Nadziruddin Mohd Basri as chief executive officer of Malaysia Airlines Bhd's new subsidiary, MAB Ground Handling Services Sdn Bhd.

Mueller had earlier highlighted that the new carrier will have three divisions - operations, support functions, and learning and development. There will be a total of 12 subsidiaries with its own Key Performance Indicators (KPI).

This approach is meant to move away from the old MAS where there was a lack of performance culture.

Walking into MAB for these 98 per cent will be a sea change from the MAS before, and by accepting the job offer, is a positive indication that they are ready to grasp this change.

"It might not be a start-up, but it will be like one with everything new- new company, new shareholders. In fact everything will be new. We have applied for a new airlines certificate, we have asked IATA (International Air Transport Association) to transfer the MH code," Mueller said.

What this means is that the "hard re-set" is being put into place now and the process of a new Malaysia Airlines has begun, and with that saving the airline and the pride of Malaysia.

Credit must also be given to the Prime Minister for making the hard political decision to "bite the bullet" on MAS and totally revamp the airline, then putting Khazanah Nasional in the driver's seat with a totally new plan and injecting fresh funding of RM6 billion. They then went looking around the world for the next head of MAS, leading to the decision to hire Mueller.

The German-born Mueller's appointment is a game-changer because it's a departure from the typical inward-looking Malaysian attitude of putting only Malaysians to helm the national carrier or other key national assets.

Only Mueller knows the sheer challenges and tasks he and his team carry on their shoulders and the hopes of the entire nation on what is certainly going to the last call for MAS.

Deemed as the mother of all restructurings when Khazanah's 12-point plan was announced last August, this time around saw the emergence of a new business entity, MAB.

A small entity to start with, Mueller and the MAB team now are busy putting in place a business plans as can be seen from the announcements made -- looking at smaller planes, cutting unprofitable routes, renegotiations of contracts as well as upgrading the IT infrastructure of the airline to put MAB on a profitable and sustainable platform.

As Mueller had mentioned, he will need all hands on deck, not just the staff to work together with him but also or Khazanah, the Malaysian government and the rakyat so that our national airline will once again fly high in the blue sky.

Malaysian Trade Union Congress Sarawak Division secretary Andrew Lo had rightly summed when he said "MAS belongs to all Malaysians and I believe all of us take a certain level of pride in our national carrier, as we also want to see MAS fly high once more."

And to the 98 per cent of the 14,000 employees who will be with MAS, here is a message from Lim Swee Seng, the secretary of Airlines Workers Union (Sarawak) to all MAB employees "Let's work together and chart a new chapter."

Saying that because 98% accepted the new offer as a massive vote is not entirely true. Most MH staff that I know accepted it because they have no other choice. The pilots, especially the senior ones are generally unhappy, which was demonstrated in the large numbers present at the recent KL, QR, EK and SV carreer day/interview. We will have to see by late December or January to see whether there will be an exodus once the selection process for those airlines are completed.

From our esteemed spy at the MH Rumour Department. As per latest figure, MAS has 400 excess pilots who are now the deadwood.

11668080_10153791120826509_1722358160_n.

11655385_10153791120386509_676400512_n.j

11650805_10153791121056509_504979540_n.j

11655543_10153791120711509_1770503838_n.