MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

It may be a good thing for Firefly to operate the B738s as a quasi LCC. This will enable this kind of model to work. At the same time, it can go all out and compete with Malindo and Airasia.

MAS International will operate the wide body fleet - they will be able to focus on being a full fare carrier with an emphasis of product excellence.

It may be a good thing for Firefly to operate the B738s as a quasi LCC. This will enable this kind of model to work. At the same time, it can go all out and compete with Malindo and Airasia.

MAS International will operate the wide body fleet - they will be able to focus on being a full fare carrier with an emphasis of product excellence.

Which was previously mooted in 2012 with MAS short haul...sigh. What a waste!

I think the 2012 plan was a bit confused and there was no conviction to carry it out. Then the share swap sort of made the headlines and everything that was planned was canned.

Edited by flee

I have a feeling we're going to kiss free meals and baggage allowance goodbye on domestic flights. In Y, at least.

Agree. a lot of wasted opportunities. Firefly jet could have been successful by now

I heard AJ was re-employed as chairman of MAS. Anyone heard about this news?

oh for Fxxxx sake!Get him out from there.

I have a feeling we're going to kiss free meals and baggage allowance goodbye on domestic flights. In Y, at least.

remind me of what ANA did with their domestic flights..only provided free drinks, hot meals all b.o.b

Third MAS Recovery Plan Quarterly Progress Update
(1 March 2015 – 31 May 2015)

Looks like this will be newco's core network:

NewCo’s network will serve, among others, the ASEAN, China, India and domestic markets, with service to key international destinations in Japan, South Korea Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Saudi Arabia.

The other destinations being explored will be via partners. It looks like Istanbul, Paris and Amsterdam will also be cut.

The network will also have an expanded reach into Africa, United States and Europe via potential partnerships that are being explored.

And a glimpse of the new business model:

In building a new national icon, the national carrier will feature a refreshed Malaysian-centric brand with a truly new start-up company outlook. It will have a young fleet and offer premium positioning that upholds the reputation for award-winning service. There will be a product refresh for all long-haul flights, including flat beds in Business Class and an improved inflight entertainment system. A new catering concept with less complexity but superior ingredients and quality will also be introduced. In addition, customers will have the flexibility to customise their flight experience to cater to their requirements.

"flat bed in business class" already have that...

"new catering concept with less complexity"..even this statement is complex enough for people to understand what they are trying to infer from it?

foreseeable dejavu

remind me of what ANA did with their domestic flights..only provided free drinks, hot meals all b.o.b

flew with them KCH - KUL today. hot meal served for the 1st time in a long while ! choices where :

1. Chicken with rice

2. Roti prata with fish curry

Dessert was a piece of sponge cake. Coke & Spirte still from those 1.5 litre bottles though.

flew with them KCH - KUL today. hot meal served for the 1st time in a long while !

I understand you 'score' a hot meal on MH only when your flight encroaches upon definition (MH's) of meal time. Which is a wee bit ironic for a Malaysian entity really. Malaysian makan time is like anytime, anywhere, anything :D Edited by BC Tam

I understand you 'score' a hot meal on MH only when your flight encroaches upon definition (MH's) of meal time. Which is a wee bit ironic for a Malaysian entity really. Malaysian makan time is like anytime, anywhere, anything :D

I barely have time to finish the two packs of peanuts on peninsular flights! :p

I barely have time to finish the two packs of peanuts on peninsular flights! :p

Don't give them ideas, you will be restricted to a single pack of peanuts otherwise :)

NUFAM....is burnt.....

MAB doesn’t recognise NUFAM, says minister after protest threat

KUALA LUMPUR, June 15 — Malaysia Airline Bhd (MAB) will not discuss employee terms with the National Union of Flight Attendants Malaysia (NUFAM) as the carrier does not recognise the body, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said.
According to New Straits Times, Liow also pointed out that NUFAM president Ismail Nasaruddin was no longer even an employee with the airline, having been dismissed in 2013.
“Therefore, Malaysia Airlines does not have any locus standi to discuss terms with NUFAM. That is the information I got from the airline,” the minister was quoted saying in the English daily after an MCA event in Malacca.

NUFAM....is burnt.....

MAB doesnt recognise NUFAM, says minister after protest threat

KUALA LUMPUR, June 15 Malaysia Airline Bhd (MAB) will not discuss employee terms with the National Union of Flight Attendants Malaysia (NUFAM) as the carrier does not recognise the body, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said.

According to New Straits Times, Liow also pointed out that NUFAM president Ismail Nasaruddin was no longer even an employee with the airline, having been dismissed in 2013.

Therefore, Malaysia Airlines does not have any locus standi to discuss terms with NUFAM. That is the information I got from the airline, the minister was quoted saying in the English daily after an MCA event in Malacca.

More: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/mab-doesnt-recognise-nufam-says-minister-after-protest-threat?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Burnt ? They're incinerated la. Reminds me of another story I won't mention the industry but let's call him "M" M was sec gen of the industry union. he was dismissed from his job some years ago, but filed a wrongful dismissal appeal with IR and as such found a loophole to stay on as ̀ Sec gen. Finally his appeal was dismissed - so you know what he did ? He made the union hire him as an employee. Silly bugger demanded same salary as was paid to him whilst an employee. You can guess how long he lasted ....

What bothers me a bit in the article is this bit:

When Malaysia Airlines does not recognise the union, there is no other way for it to hold a discussion, he continued, adding that MAB recognises seven unions but NUFAM was not among them."

Hopefully the other unions recognized by MAB are more reasonable. But super glad that the Nasaruddin bugger is burnt.

Why are there so many unions? Does it represent divisions? Like Cabin Crew, Engineering etc?

MASEU represents graded staff, which until NUFAM's formation also includes Cabin Crews as well. Not all crews transferred to NUFAM. There is also one union for Sabah/Sarawak staff, one for executives (I believe LAEs are under this group), one for managers & one for pilots.

Other than NUFAM/MASEU, the rest are associations & I was told that while they can negotiate collective agreements, they can't call for a strike.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz