MAS Privatisation

What will be new:

1. New company name
2. New livery
3. New airline code
Definition of 'fresh start up"
1. Structure similar to AK and QR
2. No union (has been announced)

New name - I think Firefly and Maswings should be integrated into the new airline. RAS services should be operated by a dedicated company so that its losses can be seperately accounted for.

New livery - hope it won't be another disappointment

New code - more or less compulsory as the MH code now stinks real badly.

What would be the status of the oneworld membership, though?

Cost structure similar to AK and QR might mean domestic and short range flights are operated the same way as AK - high frequency and using multitasking staff. Is this going to be the return of Firefly jet?

For regional and long haul flights (should be on wide body aircraft), the QR model of service and product excellence is no bad thing. Here, short and fast turnaround times are not required. Neither is sardine can seating. The new long haul airline can focus on delivering on time flights with good guest experience.

New uniform? If so, hope that they won't do away with the baju kebaya. Whatever it is, I still like the baju kebaya - I think it stands out. But I must say the male's uniform could be improved a bit - not as outstanding :)

Man, all those things worry me..

I hope it is not ALL completely new. They should still maintain some identity.

For airline code, I think MY is nice. Does any airline use it?

Man, all those things worry me..

I hope it is not ALL completely new. They should still maintain some identity.

For airline code, I think MY is nice. Does any airline use it?

MY was previously used by Maxjet Airways of US. The all-business airline went belly-up less than 4 years in service.

Bad omen to use it......Choi~~!!! Touch wood!!

But then again. Scoot is using TZ which was previously used by American Trans Air.

Think CM will do the same like what have been done on Aer Lingus.

Expect domestic/regional flights to have buy onboard/prebook ALA AirAsia which Aer Lingus Regional is doing.

According to Flightglobal, MAS has withdrawn the four B772s from the tender for sale.

9M-MRL MSN 29065

9M-MRM MSN 29066

9M-MRP MSN 28421

9M-MRQ MSN 28422

However, there was no mention of the A332F nor the A388 tender process being cancelled.

Once upon a time,

- MH tech crews were sought after, they were spanned from KE, CA to EK.

- MH cabin crews were sought after, to set cabin service standard e.g EK.

- MH was the largest users of DXB (before EK)

- MH beaten BA on kangaroo route

- MH fleet was among the youngest in the world

For over 20 years;

- many decision was made not for commercial objective but other agenda

- many promotion was made not for what you know but who you know

- unit labour cost was half of SQ, more people was justified

- management was not only complacent but arrogant

- ignorance of competitors products and offering

- business model remain unchanged

- Before AK, profit from domestic sectors was subsidizing loss making international routes.

MH is a GLC, a product of gomen policy. MH failed repeatedly because it was competing in the open market.

Hope the new company is totally new without a single trace of MH's DNA.

Edited by KK Lee

Once upon a time,

- MH tech crews were sought after, they were spanned from KE, CA to EK.

- MH cabin crews were sought after, to set cabin service standard e.g EK.

- MH was the largest users of DXB (before EK)

- MH beaten BA on kangaroo route

- MH fleet was among the youngest in the world

For over 20 years;

- many decision was made not for commercial objective but other agenda

- many promotion was made not for what you know but who you know

- unit labour cost was half of SQ, more people was justified

- management was not only complacent but arrogant

- ignorance of competitors products and offering

- business model remain unchanged

- Before AK, profit from domestic sectors was subsidizing loss making international routes.

MH is a GLC, a product of gomen policy. MH failed repeatedly because it was competing in the open market.

Hope the new company is totally new without a single trace of MH's DNA.

Well said couldn't agree more. Only thing better would be if the government completely stopped meddling in aviation!

Complete overhaul for MAS

New CEO to create more than 10 subsidiaries, each will be will be given KPIs to monitor cost and deliverables
CHANGE is the constant now at Malaysia Airlines as the carrier prepares for a complete overhaul.
Christoph Mueller, the boss of Malaysia Airlines (MAS) who has done the hard part of dealing with retrenchments and jobs at the struggling airline, wants to create more than 10 business subsidiaries that will be judged by their individual profit and loss statements.
He is the chief executive officer of MAS and CEO designate of MAS Bhd, which starts on September 1.
Mueller’s reason for doing so is simple. “In order to create more transparency, we will create a couple of subsidiaries, fully owned by MAS Bhd, and we will put a little more entrepreneurial spirit into the business,” he tells StarBizWeek in an interview.
“This will in most cases create a completely different attitude.”
The strategy to create subsidiaries brings about accountability, transparency and instils entrepreneurial spirit to compete. Those business instincts are almost absent in the old MAS.

That's just sad to watch.

Still a great looking livery on a timeless looking aircraft. Come what may of the new company, please keep the Wau.

That's a superb gesture from Fraport.

It's a mistake to leave and may MAS be back in Frankfurt before too long.

MAS, you've got to stay in Europe. It CAN work.

Salutation for the very last flight MH 5. Auf wiedersehen Frankfurt after 38 years of service.

How ironic, the day MAS ended FRA service is when a German becoming its CEO.. Hope they will come back again to serve Germany, maybe serve BER instead of FRA and later codeshare with AB.

How ironic, the day MAS ended FRA service is when a German becoming its CEO.. Hope they will come back again to serve Germany, maybe serve BER instead of FRA and later codeshare with AB.

If they can't make FRA work what makes you think BER will be any better?

I would assume the premise is that BER is a one world hub city so there would be feed. However I agreed with you I doubt they will be able to make it work

With AB codesharing they will get better feeds from both ends i would assume... and it would be nice if they return with a newish a/c

quite sad to see this is happening to a GLC....

Why shouldn't a GLC have to cope with market realities? Why should tax payers subsidize failure?

quite sad to see this is happening to a GLC....

Just goes to prove that sometimes government are not the best at running companies.

Why shouldn't a GLC have to cope with market realities? Why should tax payers subsidize failure?

im stating retrospectively..it shouldnt have happened..even the current new co is still subsidized with RM 6 billion tax payers money so its too late for you to make that statement

im stating retrospectively..it shouldnt have happened..even the current new co is still subsidized with RM 6 billion tax payers money so its too late for you to make that statement

I see you mean its a shame the company was run into the ground. If it were up to me there would be no newco at all its a waste of money.

I see you mean its a shame the company was run into the ground. If it were up to me there would be no newco at all its a waste of money.

Actually I would venture a lot of taxpayers money have been redeemed by the taxpayers themselves through fuel & food subsidies etc etc.

As for MH - sure you can close it down & let foreigners come in to take the slack, but the moment they found the market to be unprofitable they'll leave & you'll end up without any connections whatsoever.

Actually I would venture a lot of taxpayers money have been redeemed by the taxpayers themselves through fuel & food subsidies etc etc.

As for MH - sure you can close it down & let foreigners come in to take the slack, but the moment they found the market to be unprofitable they'll leave & you'll end up without any connections whatsoever.

Because protectionism and gomen resources, few local entrepreneurs are willing to invest and compete with GLC.

Because protectionism and gomen resources, few local entrepreneurs are willing to invest and compete with GLC.

Aviation is capital intensive - even in the most capitalist nation there's no guarantee of success.

MAS employees given 12 days to decide their fate

SEPANG, June 1, 2015:

The 14,000 Malaysia Airlines (MAS) employees will be given 12 days to decide whether they want to join the new company, said its new chief executive officer Christoph Muller.

He said as part of the restructuring process, there would be route and capacity rationalization.

Some pilots will be out of a job as they will be a surplus requirement, but they will not have a problem getting a new job with other airlines,” he said, adding hopes they would return to the airline once it started expanding again in 2018.

He said MAS pilots were well trained and well respected.

“I am sad that we will have to let go of 6,000 people.”

- MORE TO COME -