MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Agree. Do what u must or we'll fly OD instead.

One-third of MAS staff to lose jobs in matter of days, says report
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/one-third-of-mas-staff-to-lose-jobs-in-matter-of-days-says-report

...... another piece on same day

Proposed reduction of MAS staff in Sabah to be discussed in state cabinet
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/proposed-reduction-of-mas-staff-in-sabah-to-be-discussed-in-state-cabinet

..... so, are we still holding on to hope of non interference from whoever ?!! :D

Edited by BC Tam

MAS To Focus On Medium Range Routes

From D. Arul Rajoo

TOKYO, May 25 (Bernama) -- The new Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is expected to become a very important transit hub airline for the region, cutting on long-haul flights to the west and focusing more on regional medium routes.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said MAS would have strong advantage as passengers flying to Kuala Lumpur could use it as a transit point to fly to Australia, China, India and South East Asia countries like Indonesia and Thailand.

"MAS can be anchor for transit passengers, flying them into the regional market, especially for full service carriers," he said after meeting Japan's Minister for Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Akihiro Ohta in Tokyo, Monday.

Liow said under MAS' restructuring plan, more focus would be given to medium range routes, adding that the airline could use its membership in One World Alliance to do more transit and code sharing.

"If MAS decides to cut routes in Europe for instance, we will offer them to AirAsia X or Malindo. But the new MAS management will have the final say on which routes to be cut or to be added," he said.

He said this was one of the reasons Malaysia was seeking landing rights at Tokyo's Haneda International Airport for MAS, which currently flies 10 times a week from Kuala Lumpur to Narita International Airport, Tokyo, three times from Kota Kinabalu and one to Kanzai Airport in Osaka.

According to him, AirAsia X flies seven times a week to Haneda while MAS had asked the ministry to negotiate landing rights for the past two years but the Japanese side could not accommodate them due to tight slot.

"I brought up the matter during my meeting with my counterpart today. MAS wants to fly Haneda as well as the load coming in is high due to its proximity to the capital," he said.

Liow confirmed that All Nippon Airway would commence seven flights a week to Kuala Lumpur in September, while Japan Airlines currently also had similar number of flights.

On reports that more than 8,000 staff of current MAS would be axed once MAS Bhd takes over under the restructuring exercise, Liow said he was informed only 6,000 would be terminated as reported before.

"I can't say much, a lot of details will be decided at the Khazanah board level. They will look at the commercial interest and I think they have thrash it out all with MAS unions," he added.

I was laughing when he mentioned transit fo Indonesia and Thailand. Phuket and Bali are already well connected, as is Jakarta and Bangkok. So where is the transit pax coming from and where are they going?

I was laughing when he mentioned transit fo Indonesia and Thailand. Phuket and Bali are already well connected, as is Jakarta and Bangkok. So where is the transit pax coming from and where are they going?

Maybe transit to Medan, and Koh Samui (via Firefly) :p

Maybe transit to Medan, and Koh Samui (via Firefly) :p

FY will be seriously viable if transformed into a regional carrier, like MI.

"Ponding" rings a bell :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Sad to see still much gov interference in the running of MAS, from routes to cut to number of staff to be axed. At the end of the day, the gov, in particular Khazanah holds no responsibility when MAS going downhill. I think if MAS staff has to be axed, then those working in Khazanah should be axed also. Afterall, Khazanah brings no good to the country.

Well it's a bit harsh to say KhaZanah brings no good to the country...

Agreed... too much of a blanket statement.

Well it's a bit harsh to say KhaZanah brings no good to the country...

ok. a bit harsh. It was supposed to be an investment arm like Tamasek in Singapore.. but I haven't much result. Nothing impressive come out from them.

furthermore, they seem to dictate how MAS should be run, but when everything goes pear shaped, they are not accountable..

I know what you mean... I'm sure there are unseen fingers in many pies that are the problem.. They probably dictate how things would run.

Ie 6.25 billion deal with brahims (Pak lah's brother etc etc)

MALAYSIA

The 21 years of mismanagement that brought MAS to its knees

BY RAM ANAND

Published: 27 May 2015 6:59 AM

National carrier MAS has suffered years of mismanagement and previous efforts to steer the company on to better fortunes failed to deliver the results hoped for, say most observers. The Malaysian Insider file pic, May 27, 2015.

National carrier MAS has suffered years of mismanagement and previous efforts to steer the company on to better fortunes failed to deliver the results hoped for, say most observers. The Malaysian Insider file pic, May 27, 2015.

Beginning September, Malaysia Airline System Bhd, the company Malaysians know as the national carrier since 1972, will cease to exist.

It would instead be replaced by a new company, Malaysia Airlines Bhd, to be fully owned by Malaysias sovereign wealth fund Khazanah Nasional before a planned re-listing in Bursa Malaysia by 2019.

This, however, is not the first time MAS has been subjected to a turnaround plan or a bid to save the airline. It has happened several times over the course of 22 years, beginning in 1994.

This is the most comprehensive restructuring plan that MAS has been subjected to though. One that will involve a rigorous cutting down of its air travel routes and its workforce, likely to reduce it to a regional airline.

But this will only work if the government and those helming this restructuring plan heed the lessons of the past.

It all began in 1994 when businessman Tan Sri Tajudin Ramli took loans from several government-linked companies totalling RM1.79 billion and then used the money to buy a controlling stake in MAS, a move that cost the government dearly some seven years later.

Then the CEO of MAS, Tajudin was badly affected by the 1997 Asian financial crisis, and the government eventually bought MAS back from Tajudin for RM8 a share - the exact price Tajudin had paid seven years before. The only difference was, this time, MAS was lingering near bankruptcy.

It had bled RM256 million in the fiscal year ending 1998 and by the fiscal year ending 2000, it bled a further RM255.7 million after tax losses. When the government bought back the controlling stake from Tajudin, the share price on the market was only RM3.68 per share.

Government linked company Danaharta eventually opted for an out of court settlement with Tajudin despite winning a legal case over the RM589 million in loans owed by Tajudin to the company.

Back in the governments hands, MAS reported a loss of RM 1.3 billion in 2005, prompting another turnaround plan that saw them appoint current Performance and Delivery Unit (Pemandu) chief Datuk Seri Idris Jala (pic) as its CEO.

For many, Idris tenure was the only silver lining for a company that has otherwise made a habit of bleeding money annually.

In 2007, they recorded a profit of RM852 million, the highest in MAS history, and followed up with RM522 million profit in 2009, just before Idris took over as Pemandu CEO under Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razaks administration.

But for DAPs Kluang MP Liew Chin Tong, a keen observer of MAS history over the years, the current state of MAS necessitates calling into question the sustainability of what Idris did during his time helming the airline.

His whole tenure should be called into question. It shows that his turnaround had not succeeded, as what he did was to basically cut the muscle of MAS he cut the expenditure, killed the morale of the staff, and he killed that talent pool, Liew told the The Malaysian Insider.

He said that for all of MAS troubles, the workers have become an easy punching bag for the company.

MAS is expected to sack their entire staff and only retain about two-thirds of them for the new company, meaning that more than 8,000 people stand to lose their jobs.

The way Idris handled MAS, resulted in a huge number of talented people deciding to move away its a vicious cycle. The current CEO (Christoph Mueller) is doing exactly the same thing, he said.

Liew said that the company is currently merely chopping peoples jobs to have a turnaround of fortunes.

You have to ask if MAS actually has the talent and the morale to carry on. After all, you are running a service industry, he said.

Two years after Idris left his post, MAS suffered one of the most historic losses in aviation industry, a staggering RM2.5 billion in 2011.

They made a profit of RM430 million the following year, but lost RM1.16 billion in 2013.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/the-21-years-of-mismanagement-that-brought-mas-to-its-knees

A brief history

The unions should be happy that any of their members get to keep their jobs. The airline should have failed instead if being reduced yet again.

One can only hope that CM actually can do something and give the poor malaysia tax payer some return on their "donation"... Certainly wouldn't call it an investment.

ie. Malindo's config.

Nobody seems to comment anything with Malindo. Their seat are good especially people flying them to India.

I was very impressed with the onboard config on malindo when I flew them to Singapore, kinda embarrassing for MAS the full service airline to be bested by an LCC

While Thai Lion is an LCC, Malindo Air does not claim to be one. They market themselves as a "hybrid", whatever that means....

While Thai Lion is an LCC, Malindo Air does not claim to be one. They market themselves as a "hybrid", whatever that means....

indeed! they fly from KLIA 2 so closer to LCC I would think. That said really do like what they have to offer. It probably unsustainable what with luggage and all included in the very reasonable fares, will enjoy it while it lasts :-)

Latest leak from my spy at the MH Rumour Department:

What will be new:

1. New company name

2. New livery

3. New airline code

Definition of 'fresh start up"

1. Structure similar to AK and QR

2. No union (has been announced)

New livery - thank goodness there is now an opportunity for a bit of housekeeping and do away with the schizophrenic identities :D

If the wau logo is retained, please have it slanting in a consistent manner (if it is o be slanted at all)

..... Malindo Air does not claim to be one. They market themselves as a "hybrid", whatever that means....

The cynic in me says "it's neither here nor there" :D

Reality is - it's not there (yet ?), in my experience at least

Have only tried them once so far, appreciated the good value

However, last few journeys tried to prioritize them come booking time - no joy, as the limited available flights make it near impossible to fit in a workable schedule (for me at least)

So, the other two more frequent flyers won over in the end

Pity :(

Edited by BC Tam

Maybe something bigger than SQ's SG50. :D